Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Let's compare apples to apples though. In my opionion in order of best traction and control: full time 4WD with winter tires, followed by AWD with winter, followed by FWD with winter, followed by RWD.

The reason the Porsche did well is the same reason FWDs do well. The weight of the engine is over the tires.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    The PP includes a lot of unnecessary items that are not only a waste of money IMO but move the car's optioning much closer to grocery getter's than a sedan with sporting heritage. I have the sunroof and I love it but it also takes away some headroom. The leather smells better and breathes better but vinyl is close in terms in functionality and almost indistinguishable in terms of looks. The memory seats and bun warmers add unnecessary weight to the car but if you live in the NE I'd recommend the bun warmers, as the vinyl gets pretty cold. I got them as a separate option and I am glad I did. Dump the unnecessary "luxury" and get the SP and snows instead - more fun per dollar spent!
  • 1pierce1pierce Posts: 284
    Picked up my 325i yesterday afternoon. The salesman said they had to wipe down the exterior everyday (it sat for three days after detailing while I cleared my schedule to pick-it up), because so many people were looking at it and touching it. He said that four people offered to buy it for full sticker while it sat waiting for me. He may have been blowing smoke up my butt, but I did see several people walk up and look at it while I was filling out my paperwork. It can all be explained by the red color, he said. I just can't understand why more people don't order red, when you see how beautiful and exciting it is on the lot.

I haven't had it long enough to begin a critical analysis, so I'll defer that for a week or so. I am still getting used to the feel (which is dramatically different than my Maxima), and am still in that hypersensitive new car driving mode where you can't totally relax and appreciate all aspects of the vehicle.

In honor of finally being a BMW owner, I vow not to engage in this round of AWD/FWD, Snow/All Seasons, and PP/SP/Luxury/Sport debate. I make no promises about the future, though. All that I will say to those posing questions is: Your initial thought about what options/configuration to order is probably the one that will make you happiest in the end. Don't get talked into something you don't really want/like/or need.
  • tcn2ktcn2k Posts: 277
    You have to have memory seats if you are married. Change the seat back to the exact position is a pain!
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    tcn2k... You are absolutely correct! Memory seats are the best thing to happen to couples since TV remote controls!
  • abcnycabcnyc Posts: 101
    The 330i PP provides 2 main features (moonroof and leather) and other niceties (e.g. rain sensing wipers, auto dim mirrors, etc. I opted to not get the PP because I would never use the moonroof. We have one in our Acura MDX and we never use it. I realize there are many who love the moonroof, so it's a matter of personal use and taste. The leatherette looks as good as the leather, and initially it's hard to even smell the leather because of the "new car" smell. The power seats come standard on the 330is. I spent my money on the SP, CWP, and xenons.
  • genie1genie1 Posts: 398
    Wow, so you've finally got your dream car. I'm sure it's gorgeous. :)

Congratulations.
  • genie1genie1 Posts: 398
    I spent 2 hours riding my brakes in rush hour traffic the other day and noticed that since then, the brake pedal seems to travel halfway to the floor before engaging. I can still stop on a dime, but my foot (and the brake pedal) travels a lot further before retarding motion.

I'm trying to get a service appointment next Monday, but was looking for info. Any ideas about whats wrong?
  • jbreez1jbreez1 Posts: 46
    Picked up my 2000 323i yesterday morning at 9:15 am. I now fully understand the enthusiasm of BMW car owners. Although I have wanted a bimmer for years, I finaly made the purchase for what I would like to think are purely practical reasons.

1. It is a solidly built/ safe car.
    2. The BMW has a high resale value.
    3. The car has great handling/performance reviews.
    4. The BMWs are fairly reliable.

After driving the car for a day and a half, I now relate to the posts on this board and just have to say "WOW!" Maybe it was driving my Honda Civic for 150,000 miles that did it to me, but I'm having so much fun. The car is Black/Sand with a five speed, sport seats, sports suspension, 16" alloys, Leatherette (which I preferred in Orlando), moonroof (wouldn't have got it if it didn't come with it) power seats, memory, xenons, in dash CD, etc.

Just want to thank everyone on this board for all the info and let you all know that "now I know" what you are all speaking of when you talk of the "ultimate driving experience." There is only one problem: I can never go back!

Be well,

Joe
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    Actually when I was married, I didn't need memory seats. My ex- is 5'9" with a 34" inseam and I'm 6' with a 34" inseam. I sit a little closer to the wheel arms-wise than she did, but otherwise we didn't move anything but the center rear view mirror.

That was then. Now my girlfriend is 5'3" and my M3 has manual, massively adjustable seats. It's hell... power memory would be nice!

-Colin
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    Please don't let manual seats get in the way of marital bliss :o) We both have manual seats in our cars and the few seconds that it takes to adjust them has never been a burden...We probably waste about 60 sec a month adjusting car seats...OK, I'll fess up - that's 60 secs EACH!!!
  • chewie5chewie5 Posts: 61
    The sports package on the xi's don't come with a sports suspension. I took this from the bmw website:

Sport Package

-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel with fingertip cruise, audio, and accessory phone5 controls; 12-way adjustable front sport seats (includes 2-way headrests and thigh support); 8-way power front sport seats with 2-way manual headrests and thigh support; 3-driver memory for exterior mirror and seat positions; automatic tilt-down of passenger's side-view mirror when vehicle is shifted into reverse gear1; 17 x 7.0 Radial Spoke (Styling 73) alloy wheels, 205/50R-17 all-season tires

maransm--even without the sports suspension, I'd still get the sports package on the xi. As many have stated, the seats are wonderful and I like the look of the sport steering wheel better than the standard one.
  • ...to clean black marks on your tan VINYL interior - back of front seats, doors, door handles, etc? It's so noticable when you have the sand/tan interior!

I use Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner on the leather and they work great! But what should I use on vinyl??? How about Lexol Vinylex on vinyl? Anyone recommend it, or any other brands?

Thanks.
  • 1pierce1pierce Posts: 284
    jbreez: Hey, that was rationalization worthy of a politician!

genie: Thanks. And it is gorgeous.

sunroof/memory seats: I'm using the sunroof more and more in the morning when it is cooler, and on the highway when I want air, don't wind rush, and don't need the AC. My wife likes a VERY different driving position than me, and I'm kind of anal about my seat position staying exactly the same once I find the right spot, so memory seats are something I appreciate.

Its been so darn hot here in Pgh this week, I haven't had the chance to drive the BMW during the day with the windows open, yet. I actually don't like AC - because it drags on the engine, and I like fresh air. But, its been soooo humid that I sweat with the AC off, and when it isn't hot, its raining too hard to open the windows.

brave: w/regard to power seat adjustment, some people have more tolerance for inconvenience than others.
  • john01john01 Posts: 246
    I hear it is quite popular among luxury car owners. I am told that Oxyclean (stuff on TV) works well on interior smudges, on most surfaces.
  • ...to clean black marks on your tan VINYL interior - back of front seats, doors, door handles, etc? It's so noticable when you have the sand/tan interior!

I use Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner on the leather and they work great! But what should I use on vinyl??? How about Lexol Vinylex on vinyl? Anyone recommend it, or any other brands?

Thanks.
  • mg330cimg330ci Posts: 162
    Now I can't sleep any more.

All I want to do as soon as I get home is to take the oil level dipstick and admire its aerodynamic shape.

I wonder how many hours of wind tunnel testing took the German engineers to shape this thing!

Now I know how they got the Idea for the movie Signs!, the whole design came right out of a corn field!

My son believes it is a spaceship and wants to play with it all the time!

Now, if BMW doesn't mind, how about a simple stick with to marks, H and L, and send me a $10 check for the savings, so I can buy a couple of bionicle toys for my son in exchange of my oil level :)
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Posts: 218
    LOL, jbreez, I'd like to think I had the same line of rational line of thought you laid down... tee-hee! But seriously, best wishes for enjoying your new car! U R right, a part of me feels 'no going back'.

and pierce1, it sounds bee-YOU-ti-ful, with the accent on the second syllable. I love red, were it not for my last car being bright red and the fear of getting nailed by the CHP I would have picked it for meself. Congrats (finally, now, how exciting!) and best wishes to you for logging many satisfying miles in it.
  • mg330cimg330ci Posts: 162
    Now I can't sleep any more.

All I want to do as soon as I get home is to take the oil level dipstick and admire its aerodynamic shape.

I wonder how many hours of wind tunnel testing took the German engineers to shape this thing!

Now I know how they got the Idea for the movie Signs!, the whole design came right out of a corn field!

My son believes it is a spaceship and wants to play with it all the time!

Now, if BMW doesn't mind, how about a simple stick with to marks, H and L, and send me a $10 check for the savings, so I can buy a couple of bionicle toys for my son in exchange of my oil level :)
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    It's been a while, but since things are pretty slow at work;

genie1: It could be something as simple as the pads being worn down. I'd check them, just to be sure.

Moonroof: I use mine regularly. It's great for cooling the car before getting into it.

Memory seat: With 12 different adjustments, not having it would bother me. It took over a year to setup my current driving position, and I'd hate to lose it.

Color: For me, red is a little too flashy. I prefer to blend into the back ground while driving on the HWY. M3 is a different story however.