Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• kominskykominsky Posts: 850
    Are Kumhos even comparable to the S-03's? If it wasn't for the fact that all of my vehicles needed new shoes this year and the Bridgestone's didn't fit the budget, they would have been my first choice. I like the Kumho's, but thought the Bridgesones would blow them away.
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    It's the age old story of price vs. performance. If I get the S-03s, I might have to replace all 4, while only the rear with Kumho's.
    When I ordered the Kumho's from TireRack the guy I talked to told me they don't play well with other tires and recommended that I do fronts and rears at the same time. I was a little skeptical at first, but the tire guy at the place that mounted them for me (European Precision, Emmaus PA) said he had heard the same thing, too.
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    Thanks for the info. I got to drive a friend's Boxster with S-03s on rear only, and the car didn't like it too much.

BTW, FWIW Boxster's a blast to drive. The clutch & shifter takes a lot more effort than a 3 series, but once you get used to it, it's not too bad. I really loved the short throw on the shifter. Makes the throw on the 3 series feel like it belongs on a truck.
    I had a coworker toss me the keys to his brand-new Boxter S last year. The car wasn't broken in yet so I refused and told him I'd take him up on the offer after it was broken in and he had a stone chip or two on the hood (I didn't want to be driving for the first one). About two weeks later he quit the company and moved away... another one of life's lost opportunities.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    I've not driven a Boxster S, just the regular Boxster back when it first came out. I loved the feel of it - it has that BMW magic, only a lot more of it :o)

kominsky - are you happy with the Kumhos?
    I am extremely happy with them, compared to the Conti's. Especially when price is taken into account. From everything I've heard and read, I still think I would've gotten the Bridgestones if my budget (okay, I admit it... my wife's budget) would have allowed for it.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Posts: 410
    I am also looking at wheels. What do you know about The Wheel Exchange? Are the wheels used? If so, how do you know what their condition is? They can't be new and sell for $599 a set in 17" size. I got a price from my BMW dealer for the M double spoke type 68's on the 330 sport package models and, even with BMWCCA discount, they were a bit over $400 each!
    Thanks.
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    323is, I think the key part of kominsky's post you missed was this:

"Any of which would be used or replicas."

-Colin
  • mitchs3mitchs3 Posts: 64
    Made my purchase at Northwest, in Owings Mills. There service dept has been friendly and helpful. In fact I went to purchase a quart of oil for my 02 330i and to confirm the reading on the nutty dipstick and they even gave me the oil for free. Loaner unfortunately has been a rental from enterprise, but I'm told BMW loaners coming in soon.
    Colin nailed it... the M5 wheels for $599 are replica's. It would be safe to assume they're not up to BMW OEM quality, but for a winter setup, that's not too important to me. As for the Wheel Exchange itself, I really don't know much except their feedback on Ebay is all positive.
  • jkneonjkneon Posts: 2
    Hello all,

This is Joe, I am a total Bimmer newbie but a soon to be owner ... hehehe (Geee, it is exciting!!) Okay, my wife and I are looking for a brand new 2003 BMW 330xi, nothing fancy just these options (Power/memory seats/mirror $1800) and (Split fold down seat with centre armrest $660) in Canadian dollars.

The saleman offered to check if there is any 2002 model around with those specs, we are looking for a white one but unfortunately there was none left. So, instead of 2003 white model, he offered us a 2002 Titanium Silver one, it is in stock but I am not sure if it is a floor model. Here are the specs anyway.

2002 BMWxi Sedan ($49700)
    205 Automatic transmission ($1200)
    508 park distance control ($430)
    910 Sport package ($2000)
    354 Titanium Silver ($800)
    438 Wood trim ($585)
    904 Preium package ($5300)
    N6SW Black Leather (incl. in Premium package)

The base price total is $60015 for all of the above, he offered $56114 to us. (ALL in CANADIAN DOLLARS)

I want to know if this is a good deal ? I mean is it a steal ?
    How can you tell if it is a floor model ? I can't check the odometer since floor model is not necessary a demo car.
    Any Canadian owner wanna share their Bimmer buying expriences?
    Anyone willing to throw in some pricing you paid for your 330xi?
    Anything I need to know about for buying a Bimmer ? anything I need to pay attention to especially buying this one the saleman offered?

Please help out this newbie, reply to this group or you can email me at tgx.trf@nospam.rogers.com (Remove nospam.)

Thanks in advance

JK
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Any one in Tx or near Dallas , my neighbor business is a wheel place and they have a set of star spoke sport package wheels. it the same set thats on ,my 1999 Sport. If any one is interested ill ask about a price on them.

DL
  • 1pierce1pierce Posts: 284
    Been driving my new 325i for about a week, now. I'm trying really hard not to offer too many opinions/reviews on the car until I've at least passed the break-in period. I always hate to read reviews on consumer sites that are very detailed and specific, and then you look at the review and notice that the person has had the car or items for a week. Not even long enough for the "new" to wear off.

Some general comments, though:

1. One option I'm VERY glad I got is the xenons. If you're waffling on it, just get them. They blow away the headlights on my brother's 2000 323i. They almost look like the high beams are on (I had to keep checking), with a MUCH wider/longer throw, and generally brighter illumination. With these, I don't even need the fog lights. I'd pay double for these (although I'm glad I didn't have to!). After one week, I can't imagine ever buying another new car that doesn't offer low-beam xenons.

2. One option I'm glad I didn't get is leather. The leatherette is the nicest synthetic seat material I've ever seen in a car. It feels as good as the leather in my Maxima, and looks very authentic. My brother's leather looks/feels a little different, but if you didn't sit in both cars back-to-back, you would never know that mine wasn't real leather (except for a little back-sweating that probably would have happened this week, even with real leather). Also, the 'ette seems more durable (less likely to tear or mark), and is less slippery without velcro-ing you into your seat. The car also has a more distinct "new car" smell without the leather, that I remember from my cars with cloth seats. My advice to Bimmer buyers on a budget - save $1,400 on the leather and get xenons and a metallic color instead.
  • 1pierce1pierce Posts: 284
    Esq1: The two most maintenance free colors I've owned are silver and red.

White (we have a white, mono-chromatic Caravan SP - imagine a giant egg with wheels) always looks pretty clean, but if you get droppings, tar, or other high visibility grime on the car, and can't clean it off quickly, it will stain. Our white van also picked-up some weird bluish marks on the rear quarter panel that I can't get off, even with a hard solvent.

Silver (or another light metallic) is similar to white, but doesn't show quite as many marks/stains. Red doesn't show acid rain, water marks, small scratches, or dust as much as the dark colors - and unlike white, silver, and variations of the same - is a real color. Its also a very deep color, unlike white. You don't want a dark color. I had a black metallic car that sat outside 24/7, and after a year or two - it looked like crap (and that was back when I could wash it every week or two in the summer).

I guess if I were in your situation (24/7 outside), I'd get silver or some variation.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    I have the black 'ette and in the 15 months that I've had the car, I have not had to do anything to it. The car still smells like new and the seats look brand-new. I am very glad I got the vinyl seats.

It doesn't sound like you've pushed the car in corners yet - there's no break-in period for that, you know...
  • ghost78ghost78 Posts: 1
    I live in the upper Midwest and my local dealer
    started out last night by offering me at least $1500 off MSRP on 2002 325i's and xi's. They were told to do whatever it takes to move the 30 2002 that they have comming in in the next few weeks.
    What a change from past experiences.
  • huntzingerhuntzinger Posts: 350
    My general rule of thumb is that narrower is better, because you're trying to get down through the snow cover to the pavement underneath to gain your traction.

Generally speaking, this means that you're also going to want to get the smallest diameter rim that will fit over your brakes.

Insofar as the trade-off between winter-dry and winter-bad traction, its a philisophical question of where do you want your trade-offs. My opinion on that is that I want to minimize the performance loss under the conditions that I need it the most - ie, trashy weather, so I'd trade off winter dry performance to make winter-bad performance as good as possible.

- - -

And here's my NY/NJ climate info, based on a couple of decades of firsthand experience:

We typically have 3-4 mild winters, then we get nailed like something you wouldn't believe. Completely off the top of my head, 1965, 69, 72, 76, 78, 82, 86, 92, and 96? were all pretty noteworthy years.

Currently, we're overdue. And contemporarily, I'm beginning to believe/suspect that our bad winters might corrolate to El Niño years.

And as you're probably aware, the folks at NOAA have been watching the Equatorial Pacific *very* closely this year. Currently, we're officially in an El Nino flow, with around a -3F surface temperature variance.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories/s938.htm

My very simplest rule of thumb is that if NYC has a "White Christmas", get ready for big snows in February.

-hh

• tcn2ktcn2k Posts: 277
    "The car also has a more distinct "new car" smell without the leather, that I remember from my cars with cloth seats. My advice to Bimmer buyers on a budget - save $1,400 on the leather and get xenons and a metallic color instead. "

1. The distinct smell is the plastic like smell, coming from the leatherette you got. I couldn't stand that smell.

"The two most maintenance free colors I've owned are silver and red."

2. I own white and silver and prefer both. White is great and doesn't stain if you wax the car. It looks more luxurious then silver in my view.
  • rshaw11rshaw11 Posts: 52
    I have to set the AC temp. to 65 degrees to get the actual inside temperature down to about 72 degrees. Is this normal, or can the dealer change the setting indicator?