Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• i stopped reading this forum because the repeated snow tire talk IS DRIVING ME INSANE. but every few weeks i check back hoping its gone. sure enough, more tire talk. ahhhhh!!! it has been covered exhaustively. anyone else with me? can we stop?? please? pretty please?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I used to put snow tires on my RWD cars. I stopped though when all-season radials came into vogue. You might get less snow in Madison, WI than we do here in the NY tri-state area. I assumed you were in snow belt country.

The weather here has been strange the last 10 years or so. In the mid-90s we had two years of horrendous snow and ice storms.

Starting in 1999, we had only a few snow falls for the winter, but when it came it was dastardly.

I have been driving on all-season tires since 1985 in the tri-state area. As I said, some years I limped along, but it could be done. My Jeep with Quadradrive had all seasons and could out-run and out-brake most other cars. (Since the Quadradrive works on acceleration and de-acceleration, 4 channel EDB brakes also helped). In other words, when braking, it finds the wheel with the most traction.

Net-net we all have different views and there is not one right for anybody. The only caveat now is I'm concerned about the winter and we will see how the all-seasons and DSC works.
  • r0n1r0n1 Posts: 3
    A month ago I purchased a half year old BMW 330Ci executive car with 8K miles on it. The oil service lamp went on today and I had to add one quart of oil myself because the service department is closed. Probably the car would need more than that. The first scheduled oil service is at 15K miles, so does that mean that the engine has a leakage? that the first owner drove it hard? I'm surprised the dealership didn't check the oil level before they sold it to me.
    Does any one know if that's normal?
    Thanks
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    purchasingsoon... Completely concur. How many times can people ask the same question and get the same answer? If you can afford to buy a new BMW, then can't you afford to buy some snow tires if you live in an area with lots of snow? But if you live in southern CA, the south, or SW USA, then you probably can get by on the summer tires or all seasons. And it isn't like there isn't already a ton of information here, other sites, in automotive press, etc. on the subject of tires, in general, and snow tires, in particular.
  • ccotenjccotenj Posts: 610
    that others are coming around to my view on snow tires... :)

-Chris
  • rhmassrhmass Posts: 263
    rOn1, A quart of oil after 8k miles is absolutely normal. In fact you might expect it to need oil added more frequently during break-in, as you car was obviously going through. Check the oil level more often, rather than relying the oil light to tell you.
    While BMW recommend oil change at 15k, they now actually cover the service annually, regardless the mileage. Take advantage of this practice.
  • I have a 2001 330ci 5-speed with the works. I enjoy the car...it's rocket fast and handles well. I think the car is more than I need, though, and I've yet to be able to shift smoothly. My passenger's heads are always bobbing around, especially when I'm shifting in the lower gears. I'm contemplating trading to a 325i automatic. Can anyone offer an insight (financial or ortherwise) into this potential decision? Thanks.
  • I agree as well, please no more snow tire chat!!
  • I have a 2001 330ci 5-speed with the works. I enjoy the car...it's rocket fast and handles well. I think the car is more than I need, though, and I've yet to be able to shift smoothly. My passenger's heads are always bobbing around, especially when I'm shifting in the lower gears. I'm contemplating trading to a 325i automatic. Can anyone offer an insight (financial or ortherwise) into this potential decision? Thanks.
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    trent,

regarding the head bobbing, how long have you driven manual transmission vehicles? have you ever really thought about what is happening at the various points of clutch & throttle engagement and asked questions about it?

timing is everything and even after you know exactly what to do it takes practice. it's not impossible to learn to be silky smooth though if you're of average coordination and care to try...

in other words, I think it's a dumb idea to get a 325 auto. :-D

-Colin
  • I apologize for prolonging the snow discussion; I should have left it at my original response to an honest question on the topic.

I hope I don't get kicked off the board :-)

-murray
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    trent-- don't hit refresh you will repost your last comments.

subscribe and hit "read subscriptions" instead.

;-)

-Colin
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    It's very tough not to post a reply especially when you think you are right :)
  • If you sell your 330Ci yourself, (of course depending on condition, mileage etc) you shouldn't take too big a hit because your car is one of the premier autos on the road.

You'll notice a pretty big difference in power and torque when you go to a 325 automatic, and you may not be as satisfied. If you like shifting yourself and don't need the power, get a 325 manual, go to a good driving school and practice that shifting. You'll be amply rewarded in your driving experience if you learn to drive a manual transmission well, in fact I would go so far as to say you'll probably love it in your BMW!

I'm with Colin, think about it carefully before you do it. After all you got that 330 5 spd for a reason.
  • jmessjmess Posts: 677
    I can understand your reasons to switch from the manual to the automatic but going from a 330 manual to a 325 auto would a much bigger move into the slow lane than you might be ready for.
  • I certainly understand the point about driving the 5 speed smoothly. I've been driving stick for over 30 years and the BMW has been the hardest (by far) to shift smoothly every time (except for a '66 Chevelle SS396 my brother owned). I share my driving between my 3 series and a 5 speed pickup, so the back and forth issue makes it even more difficult. My most difficult time is in first gear as the clutch is almost all the way out, sometimes the engine just seems to bog down. If I give it more throttle early, it revs too much. It doesn't do it all the time, so I can't tell if it's me or the car. Anybody notice this? Maybe my little 323i just doesn't have enough power!

Even with that said, don't trade down from a 330 to a 325 auto - I'm looking to go the other way (except with a stick of course).
  • ccotenjccotenj Posts: 610
    as much as some people may be tired of hearing about it, snow tires are far more important than many other things that get beaten to a pulp in this thread...

re: shifting. practice, practice, practice.

-Chris
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Knock it off- we've got MUCH more important things to talk about; best wax, best tire dressing, etc.... It's all in the LOOK dude!