Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

1968969970971972974»

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,781
    I just ordered a set for my wife's X3 so I'll be running two Cooper evaluation tests in a couple of days...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• rickn1rickn1 Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    Anybody know of a good trunk rack / luggage carrier that fits a 2005 330ci convertible? Thanks!
  • akv25akv25 Posts: 42
    All:

Has someone had continued good performance from any of the Pela or other brand name oil extractors? I had read some reviews that mentioned broken hoses and problems with synthetic oil. Would appreciate any feedback.

Also - update on the Cooper RS3-A tire after about 2000 miles. I am quite satisfied with the tire as a UHP A/S tire - excellent grip and braking although a little soft for my taste.

Thanks!
    I have the extractor sold by Griot's Garage. No complaints.
    I run RS3-As on my Mazdaspeed 3 as a winter tire, and use them year round on my son's X3. They work fine in both applications. They are every bit as good as the PZero Nero all seasons I ran previously.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• akv25akv25 Posts: 42
    Many thanks for the suggestion.

Just out of curiosity - what summer tires do you use? I have a dedicated set of snow tires so the next time I need to change the A/S set, I'll probably go with summer tires.
    Glad to help!
    As for summer tires, I have Dunlop Direzza Star Specs on my 318ti. The car is my track rat, and the Star Specs were designed for the SCCA and NASA classes that require a DOT tire with a minimum treadwear rating of180. Overall, I'm very pleased.
    The Mazdaspeed wears Michelin Pilot Super Sports(primarily because I was blessed by winning a set in a raffle). They are amazing tires, but a bit on the pricey side. Virtually every magazine from Car and Driver to Consumer Reports has ranked them #1.
    My wife's CPO 328i came with a set of Continental ContiSportContact 3 SSR run flat summer tires; no complaints so far, but I don't have much experience with them yet.
    Based on my experience with the Cooper Zeon RS3-A, I'd think that the Zeon RS3 summer tire would also be a good pick- but that's just an assumption.

• rabadashrabadash Posts: 11
    I'm about to purchase a third car. As a result, I'm thinking about keeping my '94 325i for my kids, but that would necessitate storing it for a couple of years. Does anyone here know what might be involved (mechanically, fluids, tires, etc.) with storing a vehicle for an extended period of time?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,715
    Putting it to sleep for that long requires quite a bit of work and unless there's sentimental value attached to this, it may be more trouble than the car is worth.

Certainly here are some of the steps you'll be taking if you want to insure a fairly trouble free resurrection:

1. Drain gas tank

2. Plug up air filter and tail pipe (rodents)

3. jack up car off tires unless you plan to replace them all

4. remove spark plugs and squirt a few teaspoons of ATF into each cylinder--replace plugs

5. put desiccant in the interior (held in small plastic container, get it at a boat chandlery)

6. ventilate the storage space

7. remove battery

8. release emergency brake

9. if applicable, place car under a "non-op" status at DMV so that it does not accrue back registration fees.

10. Use only a light, breathable, indoor-use dust cover---nothing waterproof.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,472
    my guess, unless it is something special, it would be better to sell it now, and whenever down the line they would be ready for it, to find another one. Assuming of course, they even want a 20+ YO BMW that has been in mothballs.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• rabadashrabadash Posts: 11
    Thanks for your thoughtful and thorough response. Appreciate it.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    edited March 2013
    I agree, a car that sits is a car that will waste away and cost a fortune in maintenance down the road.

If it's a good car and you want to keep it (and there's a lot of value and peace of mind knowing the history of the car), you can just drive it once or twice a week. Take it out for 30-40 minutes minimum - long enough to get everything nice and warmed up, fluids flowing, bushings working, etc.

Change the engine oil once a year, and other fluids (brakes, transmission, differential, coolant) every other year.