Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Equinox Transmission Problems

2»

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    justsum1,
    I'm sorry that your new Equinox has already had to have a transmission rebuild at this point; hopefully it has resolved any concerns you had had for a long, long time. If we can ever be of further assistance, let us know!
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • bates072bates072 Posts: 1
    How much to get it repair
  • justsum1justsum1 Posts: 3
    It was under warranty
  • I bought my Equinox used in March of 2011 w/ 26k miles on it. I had absolutely no problems w/ it until May 2012. All of a sudden, it wouldn't shift into R, the gears wouldn't catch in drive, the engine would rev to 5000 rpm's +. I took to get fixed, the repaired the engine, replaced the tranny and $3799 and 2 FULL MONTHS later, I had it back. It was covered under the 100k mile warranty, but still. A 2010 should not blow a tranny in 2 years! Also, it took 2 months for the dealership to do the work. I had a rental, but was making car payments on a car I did not have. I drove it the past week and a half and guess what? It's been stalling when coming to a stop, it bucks when I slow down and the service light just came on. I took it back to the same dealer and told them I wanted it fixed, right this time... I got another rental, but the inconvenience of not having a car I'm paying for is ridiculous!
    I asked the dealer if they have problems w/ the Equinox and he said every time they get 3 out, 5 more come in. It's ridiculous. As soon as this gets fixed, I'm trading it in...
  • plankton22,
    We're truly very sorry to read about transmission concerns you've had with your Equinox. Has everything gone well with the dealership (aside from the repeat visit)? If you would like for us to look into this further, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with the following information so we can get a Service Request going: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I ordered my Equinox in May of 2010, the car has 55k on it now, and has had 3 major repairs including a major drive train repair. The car would have a deep drone sound when moving through lower gears, and the transmission was found to be faulty, and it was recalled. It took a week for the repairs, but then when fixed they put the oil pan on incorrectly and I was loosing oil and had to take it back within two days. They fixed an incorrectly placed bolt, and then it seemed OK for 6 months.
    I had another issue when the engine light came on. I called OnStar and they ran a diagnosis that determined it was the upper fuel pump, so that was recently replaced, this time from another dealer.
    Now the low drone sound is back again when shifting up and down in those lower speeds. I am concerned as I am a woman and work about 60 hours a week, so I do not have a ton of time, yet I am worried about the longevity of this vehicle. I had OnStar run the diagnostic and nothing came up.
    Has anyone had this low drone sound on their Equinox? It is a 4 cyle AWD.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,163
    marketingvirgo,

We're sorry to hear that you have encountered these different concerns with your Equinox. Have you already contacted customer assistance regarding your situation? If we can look into anything for you, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Hey Sarah, can yuo help with GM Canada? I"ve been having these problems and the GM dealership in sarnia just takes my cash and tells me sorry no idea. I'm at $1000 and no further beyond this.
  • I was driving home from a long trip with my 2010 Equinox with 65K. I was going up a grade when all of a sudden the transmission slipped into a really low gear and the RPM's went to 5000 before shifting into N and then back into 5th. I dropped it into M5 and it was OK in M5 and M4. When getting off of the freeway to get gas the car would not go into 1st or 2nd and I coasted into the gas station in 3rd. Before I could get to a pump the car wouldn't go at all in ANY gear, not even R or Manual. After turning the car off and then on again, it would go for a minute before slipping again. I coasted into the dealership by turning the car on and off again to get it in 1st gear. They are looking at it now. I sure hope it's covered under the 100K powertrain!!
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hoffmanmom:

I understand your concern, and I can only imagine the stress that you are under with regards to this vehicle. ---- In 2010 I almost purchased a Equinox. It did not offer a power front seat on the passenger side, so I purchased a 2010 LTZ four cylinder Malibu.----- The Malibu four cylinder engine IS NOT A DIRECT INJECTION ENGINE, and there in lies the problem. ---- The Equinox has a direct fuel injection engine, and is has a problem fuel pump that causes fuel to enter the engine oil which destroys the engine. ---- This then causes operational problems with the vehicle. I could have been an owner of the Equinox if GM had offered a power seat on the driver's side. ---- What concerns me is that GM is not taking a pro-active approach to dealing with this problem. They should be on this issue 24 / 7 / 365! ----- While I am VERY happy with the quality of my four cylinder Malibu, I am going to think REAL HARD before I purchase another Chevrolet. ---- As a customer, I DO NOT like to be ignored when a problem arises. I expect professional service both from the manufacturer and the dealer. ---- All the public relations skills are worthless if there is no "follow up service" by the dealer network. ----- I have been following this issue, and I think both the manufacturer and the dealers have dropped the ball BIG TIME! ---- I am going to remember this experience when it comes time to purchase my next vehicle. ----The choice of vehicles is very extensive to be stuck with a problem! ----- All the best! ---- Dwayne
  • Guess what, the issue with the drive train is back AGAIN - for the fourth time. This time they said the tensioner needs to be replaced (thought I had that done twice before) and a new upper fuel pump (had that done once before as well.) I am burning oil and was down two quarts, but the Onstar diagnostics did not pick that up.
    OK, I tried, but I really am starting not to feel safe in this car and want something more dependable.
  • bigkritterbigkritter Posts: 30
    edited April 10

@canuck1319 said: Anybody found a solution for glare from chrome latch on dashboard storage compartment?

glad u asked yes get some tint strip for windshield

@charliemac said: I have a 2010 Equinox LTZ AWD 6 cyl and noticed a pronounced engine down surge every time I accelerate. If I am cruising at say 35 mph and then need to get to 55, as I press the accelerator the car will dip iyes all hn front and bog down for a few seconds. It will then rev high and accelerate. Same situation if I am cornering and lift off the accelerator and then resume power after the turn; it bogs down for a few seconds. Anyone experience this?

yes all of the time and this is what they tell me your goping to love this one.
    I was told i was confussing the computer by pressing on gas pedal letting up the pressing again also it could be that my transmisson still has not learded how i drive oh ya one more these 4 cylenders are not made to do that I might be a women but i will not be a lady when i go this next time

@kerry11 said: So i filed the lemon law on my 06 and the BBB said since my 36k warranty is out 6months ago I do not qualify, but can get an attorney to processes for me..... I will be going to the dealer where I purchased my car to talk to the CEO if he or she will not help me I have contacted the Media and News papers!! I am a single mom and bought this New car so I would have a safe and reliable car, this has been a night mare car! it has been in and out of the shop more than 30 days, power steering,struts,brakes(4) times,overflow tank,starter,bearings,anti lock breaks,visors (3) times replaced, driver window broke twice wiring, and I am sure I have left stuff out so please wish me luck because when my extended warranty runs out I am pretty much screwed (excuse me) but it is the truth then what will I do? the car is not even paid off and I have all these issues, oh and now there is something wrong with my steering! the left front!!!!!!

if you take it into the dealers when you have problems while warrenty is good note the problem even if warrenty runs out they will fix it as long as it noted

@ksliv5 said: Hello, we have a 2006 Equinox. We purchased it used in 2007 and have had several problems with it. The engine light would come off and on for about 2 years. It probably stayed on so much that the light prob blew. We took it to the Chevy lot to get it looked at, then they want 100.00 to run it through the computer, which is a big ripoff. Well now, the engine is slipping. Just yesterday, I go to get on the interstate and can't get it to go over 15 miles per hour. I had to let off the gas, wait a second for the transmission to kick in, then accerate. And yesterday while waiting at a stoplight, with my foot on the brake for several seconds, the Equinox jumped, kinda like it was just then going back down in gear, again this was several seconds with my foot on the brake. After reading all of the other posts on the Equinox's something is going to have to be done by GM. This is a big lawsuit waiting to happen, since this many people are complaining about this same problem. This is my first Chevrolet, and I think I'm ready to go back to Ford. I guess we will go and see what happens, when we take it in Thursday to get it looked at and spend a $100.00 to be told that it could one of 3 things. :(

I would like to know how many equinox owners live around Sacramento,CA

@djm2 said: Hoffmanmom:

I understand your concern, and I can only imagine the stress that you are under with regards to this vehicle. ---- In 2010 I almost purchased a Equinox. It did not offer a power front seat on the passenger side, so I purchased a 2010 LTZ four cylinder Malibu.----- The Malibu four cylinder engine IS NOT A DIRECT INJECTION ENGINE, and there in lies the problem. ---- The Equinox has a direct fuel injection engine, and is has a problem fuel pump that causes fuel to enter the engine oil which destroys the engine. ---- This then causes operational problems with the vehicle. I could have been an owner of the Equinox if GM had offered a power seat on the driver's side. ---- What concerns me is that GM is not taking a pro-active approach to dealing with this problem. They should be on this issue 24 / 7 / 365! ----- While I am VERY happy with the quality of my four cylinder Malibu, I am going to think REAL HARD before I purchase another Chevrolet. ---- As a customer, I DO NOT like to be ignored when a problem arises. I expect professional service both from the manufacturer and the dealer. ---- All the public relations skills are worthless if there is no "follow up service" by the dealer network. ----- I have been following this issue, and I think both the manufacturer and the dealers have dropped the ball BIG TIME! ---- I am going to remember this experience when it comes time to purchase my next vehicle. ----The choice of vehicles is very extensive to be stuck with a problem! ----- All the best! ---- Dwayne

well said dwayne i am headin to battle with my dealer on monday with lots of amo and if i am not happy with the out come i have made signs to pickit out front and have lots of bodies to do so too

@marketingvirgo said: Guess what, the issue with the drive train is back AGAIN - for the fourth time. This time they said the tensioner needs to be replaced (thought I had that done twice before) and a new upper fuel pump (had that done once before as well.) I am burning oil and was down two quarts, but the Onstar diagnostics did not pick that up.
    OK, I tried, but I really am starting not to feel safe in this car and want something more dependable.

one more time on-star can't tell u when your car has issues than how do they know where you r when you crash

2»