Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• I had to special order the car because I wanted the Mark Levinson system without the Navigation system. With the Nav, you have to flip it and the radio becomes more of a production to do all the adjustments. On my car, the Levinson system is what you view and has the standard radio conrols which is much easier. The Levinson system is more easily dispalyed and I think easier to use. If you would like to dicuss it further, drop me a line at pettyfeversk@aol.com.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    For those interested, the ES 300 sold very well in January compared to its competitors.

5173 -- ES 300
    4534 -- C-Class
    4447 -- TL
    3575 -- A4
    2569 -- I35
    1523 -- A6
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Where are you getting your numbers. No doubt to their validity, but I would just like access to that info as well. Thanks.
    ~alpha
  • I have not seen it yet but apparently the March Edition of Consumer Reports magazine does a comparison of the Lexus ES 300, Audi A4, Jaguar, Acura TL, and the Infiniti I35. Has anyone seen the issue and how did the Lexus fare in the comparison ?
  • Howdy:

rebelsk asks: >>I have not seen it yet but apparently the March Edition of Consumer Reports magazine does a comparison of the Lexus ES 300, Audi A4, Jaguar, Acura TL, and the Infiniti I35. Has anyone seen the issue and how did the Lexus fare in the comparison?>>

CR has a generally good review. They predict "much better than average reliability"

They found it offers "a well-furnished, accommodating cabin, it offers a well-rounded package with very few flaws and scored highest overall in this group." They predict better than average reliability.

Their comments pretty well track with my own experience in the black jet, which now shows 6,750 miles on the odo. I'm averaging 21.1 mpg, at an average speed of 31.5 mph. I'm alternating fillups between 89 and 91 octane.

One of our members had a rattle in front of driver's dash where it meets the windshield, and I'm hearing it too. I'll have dealer look at it when I take it in to have the airbag replaced.

Wish list: 1. Better cupholders; they don't hold standard travel mugs. 2. Place to stash or clip my cellphone.

Still getting a lot of "oohs and aahs" from enthusiasts who see the car. The owner of a restaurant I frequent saw mine and went out and bought a black one with a wing and gold kit, and the stock wheels in chrome. I like the GS chrome wheels better.

She's still the one...!!! Couldn't be happier.

Cordially,

RNBESQUIRE Phoenix, AZ
    The numbers come from the own car companies' press releases. They can be accessed most easily here:

1. Go to prnewswire.com
    2. Click on "industry focus"
    3. Click on "auto industry"

Hope this helps.
  • hk2lahk2la Posts: 53
    Is anyone else experiencing a prolonged downshift at about 20mph? It gets very sluggish long enough so I wouldn't be able to initially outrun someone.

btw, I averaged 15 mpg on my first tank of gas. According to the Lexus computer I was averaging 21mpg, but the reality, based on total miles and gas tank size, I averaged 15.
    lenscap.. thanks.. very informative URL!
    hk2la... how does fuel tank size matter in the calculation of MPG? shouldnt MPG be calculated Miles Driven/Gallons of Gasoline consumed... hence the designation "MPG"? I don't see how the "Lexus Computer" could be in error 6 MPG.
    ~alpha
  • kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    If you want to calculate MPG on your own, it's (Miles Driven since last fillup)/(How many gallons it takes to fill up the tank again). When the "low tank" indicator goes on, there's still about 4 gallons in the tank (from my experience on my first fillup with the ES).

About downshifting...not sure exactly what mean, but if you mean how the ES has a tendency to resist downshifting when you step on it, then yah, you're not the first one who has asked about that. Maybe the "intelligence" part of the ECT-i transmission will adapt to your needs over time.
  • hk2lahk2la Posts: 53
    alpha01, kreativ: calculation based on total number of miles from one tank of gas. Ergo, MPG. Dividing the total miles driven from the first tank of gas by the total number of gallons in one tank gave me 15 mpg. If I factor in the extra 4 gallons remaining when the light comes on, it still doesn't get me to the 21.1 mpg that the computer says.

I saw some posts about some resistance at 55/60 but didn't see anything re 20mph. Well, still breaking in the car so I guess I shouldn't be gunning it just yet.
  • Well my mom just received her new 2002 ES 300 (mystic sea opal/ivory) and I bought her 1994 ES 300 for my wife. It had only 30,000 miles on it and not a scratch, always Lexus dealer maintained. Well now that me wife drives it, she seems to feel that the brakes could be more responsive and less play in the pedal feel. I've driven it and seem to feel there is some lack of responsiveness when it comes to the pedal.

Anyone out there know of any up-grades to a 94 ES's braking system. Does Lexus offer different brake pads or rotors to it's car line? It just had it's 30K service in which they flushed out and replaced the brake fluid. Any ideas if that might be causing the brake pedal play (approx. 2-3 inches before any reaction to the brakes). Does it sound like it needs new pads or is there an upgrade fix.

Any help or advise would be appreciated, thanks.
  • While the ES 300 scored highest overall among the cars tested, the report scored it fourth overall in the entry level class. First was the BMW 3301, second the Lesus IS, and third the MBZ C320.
    about the Consumer Reports article is that they judged the 5 speed automatic (something along the lines of) "less responsive than the 4 speed it replaces". Also, I was rather struck by the emergency handling judgement on the Acura TL-S.. it only posted 49.5 MPH and they judged it to be tricky to keep the rear end in line, even with stability control.
    ~alpha
  • well I am an ardent fan of Lexus and this is my third one
    so I am not some disgruntled owner of another brand trying to downplay my darling lexus-but it is like a child to me and no "parent" would like their child to have flaws

I love my ES but absolutely feel very dejected at the mileage I get--thereis no justification for the 21/29 and claims that mileage improved--I think that is all false marketing to get people to buy it and justify the status quo on horsepower
    I think teh ePA is more like 15/23 and Lexus should apologize and issue a correction like infiniti did when they could not meet the 260 hp claims on I and G-35
    Facts must be true
    from the mileage data on this board I don't think others are getting the 29 on 100% highway either
    my vaerage is usually around 20 with 80% highway and 20% city-On my 100% highway trip for 6 hrs I got 26
    any comments

Can we hold Lexus own their mistake--is this a consumer misinformation?

Experts here must know the answer
  • kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    I have to agree with you in that the biggest complaint about the '02 ES I've heard so far has been MPG. When a person gets much better mileage with his '01 ES than his '02 ES, there's something wrong...especially since driving patterns are the same. I don't know how Lexus can refute that, but they deny ever hearing about the problem.
    Someone here posted about a Lexus service tech saying that he knew that poor MPG was an issue with the earlier '02 ES cars. Of course, when the ES owner wanted it in writing and the service tech went to the service manager, you know what happened.

I'm getting bad mileage, but I'm not going to know how things stack up against the 21/29 claim until I start using the '02 ES as a daily commuter.
    in the aforementioned Consumer Reports test, the ES 300 averaged 21 MPG and according to their testing (which I'm not exactly sure how they do it) about 14 MPG City and 34 HWY, both comparable to the competing cars. Check out the issue: March 02 on newstands now.
    ~alpha
  • Comparable my butt! My girlfriend has an I30. She's never gotten less than 19 mpg on a tank, and gets 25-26 all highway.

How is that comparable to 14 mpg?
    If you read the CR report, you will see that the numbers for the ES are comparable to those measured for the other cars, and since Consumer Reports is the reference to which I spoke, your girlfriend's I30 is irrelevant. Consumer Reports measures economy for all cars in the same manner, hence my direct comparison based upon the March 02 issue. Like I said, check it out. If you aren't experiencing numbers that match those, or numbers that are suggested by the window sticker, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, but not to me, and don't reference your butt, I could care less about it. Write a letter to corporate stating your disappointment under the circunstancias you do not see an improvement, and/or your dealer will not help or refuses to compensate. Wow I am really procrastinating writing my Spanish paper. Gotta go.
    ~alpha
    My friend took his car in for a routine service and the loaner was a new ES 300. Just thought it was interesting they're using the car as a loaner (this dealer mostly provides RX 300s, with some 2001 ES 300s thrown in occasionally).
  • Don't try and drag the competition down with you. That's too bad that you only get 14 mpg in the city in your ES, but that doesn't mean that's what the competition gets, too. She has a 2001 I30, so it's most certainly comparable to the ES, and most of her driving is stop and go in the city.

More HP for the I30, it's faster, (and especially now that it's the I35) AND better mileage to boot?

Why pay $5k for the L on the hood? Tell you what - pay me just $2,500 and I'll get you an L to go on the hood of whatever you want.