Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• atoewsatoews Posts: 637
    I went into the archives on the 1998 GS, and there were, indeed complaints on the transmission. But what was replaced under warranty was the ECU, which our ES300s don't have.

Sorry for being slightly misleading.
  • What do you know about the 3.3 V6 for 2004?

Thanks.
  • kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    The ES has an ECU (Engine Control Unit).
    IS300 owners also had their ECUs replaced under warranty to fix a shift problem with their e-shift. No more hesitation problems for them anymore.
    I don't know what else you wanted to know about the new 3.3L V6, but that's about all the public info there is on it at this time. It'll also be used in the Lexus RX, Camry V6, etc.
    but because of this board and folks like you and lenscap, I am learning more. ECU or no, the fact that Lexus provides fixes for all these other cars' problems gives hope that there may be a fix for us. And I do not think the service manager at Lexus of Cerritos was BSing when he told me about the crummy GS and LS transmissions that Lexus replaced.

(I thought the ECU had something to do with that power button that the old 4 speed toyota vehicles had, which is why I thought the 02 ES300 did not have one.)
  • Since the RX is pretty much base on the camry platform as ES does, has anyone every consider a RX vs ES before deciding the ES? and why?
  • hakpoonhakpoon Posts: 15
    Finally, I settled with a 03 es300 with premium pakcage, HID, heated seats, and leather trimmed steering wheel for $33,300 + tax and fees(MSRP 35,961). I checked several dealers here (NY/NJ), all told me that VSC is only bundled with navigation package in 03 models or must be special ordered which may take up to 4-5 months...
  • domettgdomettg Posts: 55
    I need to replace the Michelin MXV4's on my '99 ES and I would appreciate a recommendation on a good all-season that is quiet. I don't think the MXV4's are all that quiet and their snow performance is terrible for an all-season.

Thanks in advance!
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    I put BFGoodrich Touring T/As on my 1995 ES 300. This after a friend of mine had recommended them. They were very quiet and great in poor weather. Far better than the original Dunlops (which lasted only 20,000 miles). And the set of four was around $375.

I highly recommend them.
  • The best set of tires I ever had was on my '98 Audi A4 Quattro and they were Goodyear Eagle RS-A's.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/catalog/products/EAGLERSA.html

They were very grippy in all weather and were pretty darn quiet, too. But if quiet is what you're really after, check out the Goodyear Eagle LS:

http://www.goodyeartires.com/catalog/products/EAGLELS.html

But with that, I'd suspect you'd trade snow traction for quietness. So, I'd go with the RS-A's. The Goodrich tires lenscap mentions are also a good choice - had them on my last Celica. (Although they were Comp T/A's)
  • sddlwsddlw Posts: 361
    With the discussion turning to tires, I'm curious if anyone has gone for a wider, lower profile tire on their ES and what, if any differences in handling and comfort have they experienced.

My 2000 ES came with 205/60-16 MXV4's. A perfomance tire shop I frequent has said that I could go up to 225's with a corresponding reduction in tire profile and still keep the original rims.

In general, with other cars in the past, I have found going to wider tires has improved my perception of the car's handling and ride characteristics. Better traction, slightly stiffer steering and suspension. Anyone have any experiences with their ES?
  • I recently went to my local dealer in Fresno. I told him of the many complaints about the transmission. He was quite annoyed that I was informing him of this situation. He pointed to all of the people who have bought ES 300's without any transmission problems. I pointed him to this Town Hall board. I don't know if he read it yet, but I hope he does. I am not sure if he was truly unaware of the problem or was just faking it. Anyway, I did my part.
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    Georgeb6: are you referring to some salesman or someone in the service dept? They'd have to have their head in the sand to be unaware.
  • r1_97,

It was a salesman. Both of them should be well aware of the problem. It just shows how money can cause people to see differently.
  • frang2frang2 Posts: 1
    Does anyone else have this problem. When I am coasting between 5 mph and 0 mph and than step on the gas the car hesitates. It almost jerks me forward. It is very irritating. I also think it is dangerous. I do alot of city driving and in Manhattan you are always coasting. I have been to the dealer, but they are brushing me off. Telling me this is a feature of the car. I have heard that there are transmission problems with feeling the car shifting, but this seems a little different. I can feel the car shift when I am going faster mph, that I don't mind. This is terrible. Please anyone with same, let me know.
    I think you are just describing the ES300 transmission problem reported by others. In my experience, drawing back on the gas ("coasting") at any speed results in jerkiness when gas is re-applied.

I believe it IS a feature of the car, but I think all we can do is try and have our voices heard that this is an unacceptable feature.
  • Is the air conditioner filter something easily changed by a do-it-yourselfer? If so, where is it? (I haven't actually looked for it, yet.)
    A recent post on the Camry board describes a transmission hesitation problem on the owner's 2002 Camry. The owner has 12000 miles on his car, I believe. Anyway, according to this owner, Toyota came out with an upgrade to the ECU firmware, which made a marked improvement.

I have my fingers crossed - still..
  • i want to purchase a 1998 Es300...perfect condition...fully loaded...and it has 40,000 miles os it......i offered $18,000......he wants 19,000......wat do u think? TY...please reply here or i prefer heravi@aol.com
  • mhs7386mhs7386 Posts: 33
    Can't decide if I do get the ES300, whether to spend an extra $30 a month (I'm leasing it) for the traction control, Navigation system and upgraded Levinson audio. I am leaning against it because, 1) front wheel drive is usually enough where I live (NJ, 20 miles west of nyc), and I am not an audiophile.

Your opinions?

Thanks.

Matt
  • gsenthilgsenthil Posts: 154
    You are probably better off without those options [Nav/ML et al] Options depreciate faster than the car and hence lower your resalve value. Unless you think people would not be interested in a car w/o those options [Leather CD etc] dont go in for it unless you really want them
  • mhs7386mhs7386 Posts: 33
    Thanks for your opinion. However, I am leasing this car, as stated in my previous post. So for another $30 a month, today I told my salesman to get me the loaded edition. Besides the navigation and Levinson audio, it comes with traction control and rear sun shade.

I thought for that little extra, those features were worth it. And I take my sons to some far-off athletic fields and gyms, so the nav might help.

Happy motoring.

Matt
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    I did some checking on the government's trademark site, and Toyota trademarked "ES330" on April 22. Expect to see the new engine one year from now in the ES (the RX 330 comes out in March).

http://tess.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=cm4401.7.1

Typed Drawing

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Mark ES330

Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: Motor cars and structural parts thereof

Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING

Serial Number 76398773

Filing Date April 22, 2002

Filed ITU FILED AS ITU

Owner (APPLICANT) Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha TA Toyota Motor Corporation CORPORATION JAPAN 1, Toyota-cho Toyota-shi, Acihi-ken JAPAN

Attorney of Record David J. Kera

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

• raddboy41raddboy41 Posts: 249
    Anyone attempt this on their own yet? :^) I've got a beautiful '95 ES300 and it looks like the intake manifold has to come off to get to the rear plugs. Anyone? Bueller?
  • I haven't attempted to replace the plugs but we did do a compression test on my 92 ES300. We were only able to get to the 2 outside plugs in the back. So to replace them all them I would guess you do have to remove the intake manifold in order to get to the middle plug.
  • Thank U for reading,
    I have a new 03 which I love. 1200 miles and no tranny problems so far !!!
    I read on the car's plate that my Michelin Energy MXV4 should be inflated to 29# which I had.
    Went to the dealer for the 1000 miles inspection. ans the mechanic raised the pressure to 32# telling me this is what Lexus is telling them to do.
    The car is not as smooth as it was, unbelievable.
    Should I go back to 29# or leave them at 32# ?
    Regards
    Paul
    Congrats on your new '03 ES! Didn't know Lexus had switched tires from '02 to '03. Makes me wonder about my '02 tires...hmm. ;)

For anyone who regularly checks tire pressure themselves, I have found it's pointless to have any service center check tire pressure. You're supposed to check tire pressures when the tires are cold, but unless you live close to the service center or they're checking the pressure a few hours after you get there, the tires aren't going to be cold. Usually what happens is that they put too much air in and I have to let out quite a few PSIs to get to where it's supposed to be.

As for the 32psi rating and "this is what Lexus is telling them to do", there is a couple possible reasons for that. Better to have the customer leave with tires that are a little overinflated than underinflated, as tires lose pressure over time. Add that to the fact that most cars coming into the service center aren't going to have cold tires when the pressure is checked. Setting hot tires to the recommended cold tire pressure would be a big mistake.

If you have a digital tire gauge and air compressor at home and are willing to check weekly, you can keep your cold tire pressure at the recommended setting of 29psi for the ride quality that you want. Otherwise, you're safer having the tires at a slightly higher psi. Better a little overinflated than underinflated.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    Besides beaver2000, let's hear more about the '03 transmission.
    Someone who had test driven an '02 ES and just test drove an '03 ES said that the transmission issue he experienced with the '02 was no longer present in the '03. Lexus Corp.: Let's see an update for '02 owners!
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    beaver2000, You really need to adjust pressure yourself, when the tires are cold. And of course check on a weekly basis, especially in the winter if you live in a cold climate(tires loose air quicker in colder weather).

The dealer probably set it too high at 32. But there are advantages to keeping it higher, one as someone stated above, you will loose pressure so in a couple of weeks it should be back down to 29, this is good especially if you don't check pressure often. Otherwise, the higher pressure will increase gas mileage slightly. But you get a rougher ride.

Whatever you do, just make sure you check pressure when the tires are cold. The Lexus recommended tire pressure of 29lbs. is for when the tires are cold.
This discussion has been closed.