Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    Where is the First Aid kit in the '02 ES supposed to go?
    Mine was sitting in the middle of the trunk when I got it.

And when you lift up the trunk mat, is there supposed to be anything in the rectangular compartment to the very right of where all the tools are?
  • lexus1lexus1 Posts: 14
    The first aid kit has a Velcro back on it. Expose the Velcro and stick on the left wall of the trunk anywhere you want. The rectangular compartment is for the fat leather manual holder they give you that is too big for the glove compartment and too big for the map pockets. Of course you can always take out the owners manual and keep it in your glove box until you are fully up on operating all the gizmos.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Actually, the big leather binder that holds the owners manual does fit in the glove box, with room to spare. In my old 1995 ES it took up nearly the entire glove box, but not with my 2002.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    Is anyone out there participating either in a formal or informal "car-sharing" deal? I'm looking for folks (other than spouses) who co-own luxury vehicles. If you fit the bill, or know someone who does, I'm hoping you'll contact me by Wednesday, March 6 with your contact information, the type of vehicle you share, and your city and state of residence. Thanks much!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    jfallon@edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    I am considering a new 2002 ES300 or a slightly used 2000 or 2001 ES300 and would like your opinion on the differences in the two. I like the looks of the old style so much better. Is the 2002 so much better than the 2001? Let me know what you think. Has the mpg improved as the miles accumulate on your 2002?
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Having traded my 1995 ES 300 (which I bought new) for a 2002 (which now has 90 miles on it after one week of driving), and also having a friend with a 1998 ES 300, I think the 2002 is far superior to the previous generation (which itself is a great car). Here's why:

1. Structural integrity is much improved for 2002. Remember, the ES 300 rode on the same platform for 10 years (1992-2001). The new car is on an all-new platform. It's more solid, partly because they got rid of the frameless doors. Drive a 2002 and you'll see what I mean -- the car feels more solid than in past years.

2. The "substantial" look is greater with the 2002. Park the 2002 next to a 2001. The car is now bigger and heftier, with more presence.

3. I personally love the styling of the 2002. The car has a very expensive look to it, especially the chrome door handles. I still like the 2001, but it has dated cosmetic elements, such as the two-tone lower body and lower window line.

4. I always felt a bit cramped in the ES, but not with my 2002. There is plenty of room, without the feeling of being in a huge boat.

5. The 2002 blows away the old models in terms of safety. The body structure is more rigid if you get in a crash. Brake assist and vehicle skid control are available and there are now eight airbags, including side curtains front and rear.

6. The 2002 interior is a big upgrade. The softer leather, lots more wood trim (up high where your eye sees it), gated shifter, etc. create a much more pleasureable environment.

7. There are many features on the 2002 not even offered last year. For example (some optional), rain-sensing windshield wipers, dual-zone climate control, compass, power rear window shade, etc.

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say this car is 9/10 of an LS 430 (one of my favorite cars). I had very high expectations for this car, and every time I drive it I know this was the car for me.
  • sliangsliang Posts: 50
    fredvh,
    I did a test drive for the old ES300 about one and half years ago, I didn't like it at all because the following reasons,
    1. The interior is too muck alike the Camry.
    2. The cabin space is too small comparing to Acura TL and Infiniti I30.
    3. The truck space is also too small.
    4. The handling is not as good as the Acura's.
    5. You have to pay for a premium (several thousand) for the luxury features which I don't think it is worth the extra.
    I ended up leasing a 00 RL instead which probably costs close to the ES300 with similar options.
    The 02 ES300 is a total different story. The exterior is not too much longer or wider than the old one, but it is much higher than the old one, which will give you more interior space, and the wheel distance is also longer for the 02 ES. It is also more aerodynamic (Cd. 0.28) which means less wind noise and quieter cabin, and fuel efficiency.
    The body feels more solid than the old one, you feel less body rolling while cornering. The 02 ES also has more advanced air bag system which includes the front & rear side curtain air bags.
    The carried over 3.0L V-6 engine has been refined to be certified as ULEV and fitted with a new 5-speed automatic transmission.
    The interior material quality is up to the level of the new LS430 (the leather, the wood, the plastic, and ML stereo, etc.).
    The 02 ES300 is not a perfect car either, but it is a huge step up from the 01 model, the preference of the exterior design is very objective thing for each person. For me, it is very creative and modern, and I don't think the design will be out of date in several years. Thinking about the headlight design of Mercedes-Benz E class, I didn't like it when I saw it the first time, but I start like the design when I see the pictures of their next generation of E class, very unique.
    I think the hardest thing for 02 ES is finding a really good deal since it is really hot and also at the early stage of production.
    Hope you can find the car you like and enjoy it.
  • sliangsliang Posts: 50
    My 02 ES300 windshield was hit by a small rock and cracked a little bit, I use the windshield fix kit bought at Wal-Mart, the cracked spot looks much better but still visible.
    One of the A4 owner stated that he replaced his cracked windshield under warranty, I am wondering whether any of your Lexus owners knows whether I can replace the windshield under warranty if I want to, or it is just not covered. Thanks.
  • jimervinjimervin Posts: 6
    In talking with a dealer on the East coast, I
    was told the configurations for the car that I
    wanted must be ordered. I have read on this forum
    if you want the ML audio, then you will get the
    NAV. What I didn't realize is the AVS is also available only on special order..?? The dealer told me the car is available in only two "standard" configurations;

1. Premium Package
    VSC
    Heated seats
    High intensity headlights
    Wood wheel & shifter
    Trunk mat
    Wheel locks
    MSRP - $36,355.00

2. Navigation/Levinson Package
    Wood wheel & Shifter
    Heated seats
    High intensity headlights
    VSC
    Trunk mat
    Wheel locks
    Power Rear Sunshade
    MSRP - $39,315.00

I think I would like to have the AVS. For anyone that has this feature, is it worth making the special order to get it?
  • rebelskrebelsk Posts: 65
    I ended up with a special ordered vehicle because I wanted the Mark Levinson but not the Navigation System. Since it was a special order anyway, I got the AVS system. Its fun to change the settings but there is not that much variance unless you are going from the extremely soft to extremely sporty. If I had just wanted the AVS system, I probably would have passed on it and would not have had to special ordered the car.I will tell you that the setting I keep the car on most with the AVS is one of the more firm settings.
  • jimervinjimervin Posts: 6
    I also don't care about the navigation system, but I for sure want the Mark Levinson sound system. If you don't get the nav system, is the Mark Levinson system still controlled by a touch panel screen? Are the controls better when you don't have the nav system?

Thanks in advance...
    Jim
    The Mark Levinson controls are better when you do not get the Navigation system. Instead of having to use the touch screen, you have the radio controls that are the same as the cars without the navigation system. It is much easier to use than to have to deal with the touch screen.
  • sclexussclexus Posts: 2
    We picked up our black/ivory 2002 ES 300 3 weeks ago today....options are premium package, HID lights, heated seats, rain sensing wipers (which were used for the first time today), rear sunshade, wood/leather steering wheel. I have enjoyed reading this board since we started shopping around for our new car (back in October).

I have a question regarding the driving time (E/T) mode of the multi-infomational display. The owner's manual says that the driving time will be counted from 0:00 when the engine is started. On our car, it is not automatically resetting when the engine is started, but is counting from where it left off during the last drive. It can be reset when pushing the reset button, so that's not my concern.

Am wondering if this is a glitch in the computer design, or just a problem with our car. Would appreciate feedback as to what others have noticed.

Thanks...
    I just brought my car in for the 5000 mile oil change and have been averaging a little more than 25MPG with a combination of highway and non-highway driving. I got the car in the Starlight Pearl Color with the Mark Levinson System, AVS, VSC, Rain Sensing Wipers, HID Headlamps, Heated Seats, and the Wood Steering Wheel. So far, I really appreciate the sound of the Levinson system which adjusts itself if you open the windows or roof. You can play the system at very high volume and it has fantastic clarity. The HID lamps offer great night vision. I have not quite figured out the rain sensing wipers. They come on at different speeds depending on the rain. The wood wheel and shifter look great and are easy on the touch. The AVS has not been that much of a factor. I do not notice that much difference between the settings and you have to go from very soft to very sporty to really feel a diference. Starlight Pearl is a great exterior color. In the sunlight it appears as light blue and if it is less sunny or cloudy, the car appears silver with a slight bluish hue. Overall, at 5000 miles I am very happy with the car. It is very comfortable to sit in and I drive 70 miles a day. At the rate I am going with miles, I will have about 35000 a year on the car. Are others getting about the same MPG and how are you feeling about the car. I went from a 2000 Acura RL to this car andI enjoy the ES much more thanthe RL.
    sclexus: A slight misinterpretation of the manual. That's not a glitch. It makes sense that the driving time is reset only when you reset it. Let's say I go on a long trip and want to count driving time for the entire trip. Wouldn't it suck if the driving time reset every time I stopped for a break, a bite to eat, gas, etc.?
  • sclexussclexus Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response regarding driving time. The main reason I asked the question is that I have driven 2 loaner '01 RX300s recently, and in this vehicle, the E/T does reset to 0:00 every time the engine is started. But...there is also not a reset button on the RX300 for driving time(at least not one that I noticed), so this is the only way that this calculation could be reset. Perhaps this gave me a skewed outlook on things when I read the ES300 manual...the wording does seem a little ambiguous.

Appreciate your feedback.
  • hk2lahk2la Posts: 53
    How long did it take to get your license plates? Just thought I'd ask before calling DMV and getting put on hold for two hours. Thanks.
    It took about a month. Temp. registration is good for 6 months, so I haven't put them on yet. That and the fact I haven't had the front license plate bracket installed yet.

Do 2 screws hold on the bracket, and 2 more hold on the license plate to the bracket? Or is it two screws for both bracket and license plate?
  • lexus1lexus1 Posts: 14
    To kreativ and hk21a: My dealer took care of ordering my plates and then called me to come in and have them installed while I waited. They put a form-fit bracket on the front that exactly matched the contours of the bumper. Took 15 minutes. That's Lexus service for ya!
    I'm curious if all ES front license plate brackets are the same. Is your front bracket black plastic, and about half the length of a license plate?

It'd be cool if they had color-matched brackets for the ES like they do with the LS.

In California, plates are mailed to the car owner. As for installing a license plate, a screwdriver and 20 seconds is all it takes.