Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• wwh11wwh11 Posts: 7
    Could any of your experts suggest a sales price for a 2002 ES300 that comes with the Premium package and 7000 miles only? This is a privately owned car.

Thanks.
  • rparisrparis Posts: 368
    For an ES that lists for about $36500 (No nav) what are most people paying?

Has anyone who has driven a 2001, 2000, 1999 or 1998 model purchased the 2002 or 2003 model. Is there much of a difference in the two vehicles as far as ride, etc? My salesman says the newly styled model is far superior. Any thoughts?
  • richm4richm4 Posts: 169
    I think LA pricing is much more competitive due to the numerous Lexus dealers there. In Chicago, there are fewer dealers and, thus, less competition for the dealers.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    Good point about gas mileage. With the price of gas rising with the threat of Bush's war, etc. mileage becomes a factor. Honda managed to squeeze out 240 hp and still increase gas mileage over the previous 200 hp engine in the new Accord (and on regular gas). The new V6 in the Camry is basically the Avalon engine whose gas mileage is nearly identical to the old Camry, and with a new 5-speed transmission may be even better. As the ES goes from 3.0 to 3.3, gas mileage may suffer a little but probably not much. But with the inevitable increases in gas prices over the years (before and after the war), people who buy gas guzzling V8s like the new Infiniti M45 and Lincoln's LS may be in for a big shock.
  • Greetings:

With the advent of a larger (3.3 ltr) engine in the 2004 ES, it would probably be less than the current 20/29 mileage rating of the 3.0 ltr. Will the extra (projected) horsepower really make the car that much quicker and will it matter to accelerate .5 seconds faster. Mileage should be a factor as well as reasonable acceleration in most circumstances when considering a vehicle. Premium fuel in my region is about 1.59. per/gal but could quickly rise based on the current global unrest.

My 2K2 ES has been wonderful - great mileage (27-28mpg/w premium), 90% highway and I find the engine has plenty of power. When accelerating briskly from a standstill, the car moves out with authority and there is almost a V-8 sound to the engine as it gathers speed and the transmission shifts without any hesitation or abruptness.

As I only drive the ES on fair weather days, my accumulated mileage is 5,780 in nearly seven months. No problems, squeaks, rattles, loose trim or any other issues. This is my first Lexus and I have not been disappointed in any way.

Ultra-quiet and super-smooth - the only way to travel!

M.J. McCloskey
  • jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    My wife's 99 ES will soon need new tires, & I'd appreciate any recommendations. Good handling on wet/slippery road surfaces is important.
  • gekko2gekko2 Posts: 87
    I have a 95 ES and just bought these at Sears and am very happy:

Michelin Pilot XGT H4 Tires
    P205/65R15
    $97.99 each

They are quiet, smooth, handle-well, and appear/from what I hear - durable.

http://www.sears.com/

I went down one speed rating to H and saved some bucks - H is perfect for me.

I also bought the:

Road Hazard Plus Agreement
    - Free tire replacement if non-repairable.
    - Free wheel balancing.
    - Free valve stem replacement.
    - Free flat repair.
    - 25% off the purchase of alignment service at time of repair or replacement.

Sears owns NTB and they are everywhere which is of value to me - if I need warranty replacement. Sears is also open on weekends/evenings. I'm not a big Sears guy, but they took cae of me with these tires.

GOOD LUCK!
  • alexs95alexs95 Posts: 12
    I have a 2000 ES300 Lexus with 30,000 miles. I can't find anywhere in the Owner's Manual where you are to replace the transmission fluid. It only says you are to inspect "transmission and defferential oil". Seems like you should replace these fluids sometime. Does anyone have any thoughts.
  • gekko2gekko2 Posts: 87
    Here's what I follow:

LEXUS MAINTENANCE RECOMMENDED SCHEDULE

Every 3,750 Miles:
    Oil and Oil Filter Change

Every 30,000 Miles:
    Radiator Coolant Flush/Change
    Air Filter Change
    Transmission and Differential Fluid Flush/Change
    BG MOA Oil Additive
    BG 44K Fuel Induction Additive

Every 60,000 Miles:
    Spark Plugs Change/Tune-Up
    Power Steering Fluid Flush/Change
    Brake Fluid Flush/Change
    Fuel Filter Change
    Battery Check/Change

Every 90,000 Miles:
    Timing Belt Change
    Water Pump Check/Change

Every 1 Year:
    Exterior Wax/Detail
    Interior Leather/Wood Cleaning and Conditioning/Detail and Carpet Shampoo
    Wiper Blade Inserts Change
  • Lexus has encountered significant problems with the Toyo tires that come as original equipment on some ES 300's. On my '02 ES, with 10,000 miles on the odo, I noticed excessive "road noise". I stopped by the dealership to make a service appointment. When I described the problem, the service rep immediately examined the tires and showed me the "cupping" that had occurred on inside treads of the front tires. He said Lexus and Toyo had been having discussions. Lexus was blaming the tires, since they've had no similar problems with Bridgestone or Goodyear tires that also are used as original equipment. Toyo is blaming the car, as they say they've had no problems on other makes. Lexus replaced all five Toyo tires free of charge with Goodyears (as the Bridgestones are on back-order in this area), which immediately solved the problem.
    This ES is my fourth Lexus since 1992, and I've consistently found Lexus dealers (and I've used two different ones) to be responsive to any questions or problems that arise.
    Have you driven other ES 300s prior to the 2002 model? If so how would you comfpare them as I am thinking of trading my 2000 for a 2003. Thanks.
  • alexs95alexs95 Posts: 12
    Your recommended maintenance schedule differs from my Owner's Manual. For example my Owner's Manual says to "replace the brake fluid" at both 30,000 and 60,000. Also to replace the engine coolant at both 30,000 and 60,000. I wonder where you got your scheduled maintenace. It would seem logical to me that every thing you do at 30,000 would be repeated at 60,000 with exception of replacing the spark plugs at 60,000 only.
  • londinelondine Posts: 32
    Appreciate your sharing your experience with the '02 ES.

I think the current car has plenty of power. We're just in a horsepower race right now (Nissan, Honda, etc.). And while the whole idea of a luxury car like the ES 300 is a smooth ride, comfort, quiet, a distinctive look and a quality interior, Lexus probably can't afford to be too far behind baseline cars in acceleration numbers.

But Lexus marketing decisions for their '04s take nothing away from the current car's performance in and of itself.
  • londinelondine Posts: 32
    I know color choice has a lot of personal preference to it, but wonder if you could share your thoughts on why you chose the color you did, whether you still like it as much as you did when you bought the car, how well its held up, and how easy it is to take care of?

And, if you were buying a new ES today, would you still go with the same color?
  • Londine:

I have attached an image of my 2K2 ES300 - Alabaster Metallic w/light charcoal interior - everything but the AVS on it. I chose this color combo because I wanted a light color (not Crystal White or Silver) and Starlight Pearl (light metallic blue depending on the light) was rather scarce. I have yet to see one in that color in person. Even though this color is a bit somber, it has an understated distictiveness between the White and Silver.

And yes, I would choose this color again unless the Starlight Pearl color was really spectacular! The paint quality on this car is wonderful - I can't find a flaw anywhere. I have used Zaino from the beginning and only hand washings when necessary.

Hope this helps -

M. J. McCloskey
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Did you see the mystic sea(light green) color? If so, what did you think? What do you think of the ES300 now that you have had it for a while?
  • Greetings again:

Yes, I did see the Mystic Sea while at the dealership picking up my Alabaster beauty. I liked the color very much - almost looks greyish in certain lighting situations. Very elegant color but not for me. In the past I had a car with dark blue paint, and I will never again have a vehicle with dark paint. My previous vehicle, 2K Solara SLE, was Silverstream and I didn't want another silver car. The Alabaster is a kind of grey/tan metallic, lighter than silver but darker than the white. What gets me is my registration states the cars color as 'white'.

My opinion of the ES300 after nearly 7 months of ownership is just as strong now as when I first got it. I have no doubt I got the best car based on my wants/needs. I'm not that fond of the exterior styling but since I ride IN the car not ON it, it is something I can accept. I am still impressed by the smoothness and quiet composure of this car and the interior is a very pleasant place to reside while underway. Some have said the Mark Levinson Sound system is not that much better than the standard Pioneer. I knew I wouldn't be satisfied unless I got the M/L and I must say the system is very impressive. I guess if you've heard the Pioneer system without checking out the M/L the Pioneer might be sufficient.

M. J. McCloskey
  • jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    Many thanks for your reply. I've heard good things about the Pilot, & it's now at the top of my list.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    What a coincidence! I am also considering the Solara for my next new car. I sure would like your opinions on the Solara. I have one worry about the frameless windows. Did you have any problems, such as wind noise or water leaking, with them?
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    If you already own a 2000 ES 300, then you obviously have some sort of access to a Lexus dealer. I would recommend you drive a 2003 ES 300 so you can see the differences for yourself.

While the 1997-2001 ES 300s were great cars, they were only new cosmetically. They still used the platform of the 1992-1996 versions. This is not a bad thing mind you, as cars typically use a platform for more than one cycle.

But in using a brand-new platform, the 2002-03 ES 300s are stronger and more solid than the old versions. This is helped by the fact that frames were added to the doors, increasing structural rigidity. They benefit from the technology that has become available in the last ten years in terms of platform-building.

Aside from being on the new platform, the 2002-03 ES 300s have more safety equipment (like side curtain airbags), better option choices (like navigation) and a far more luxurious interior. Further, the car is bigger overall inside and out and much more "substantial." And, the now-old-looking lower body cladding is gone, giving the car a more modern look.

Again, the old ES 300s were and still are great cars. But five years (10 for the platform) is a long time in the car business, and the car was in need of a remake.

Hope this helps. But again, I strongly urge you to drive a 2003 and come to your own conclusions.
    Thank you for your thoughts. I will be driving one, but test driving and driving a car for a few thousand miles may result in different conclusions.

Any idea what a good price over invoice is?

Thanks
  • I've had a 92 ES, 94 GS, 01 RX and now the 02 ES. The change in the 02 ES was really the first overall redesign since the 02 model. The 97 remake was mainly cosmetic. The main differences:
    1. The interior is larger and seats more comfortable.
    2. The car is significantly quieter.
    3. Safety equipment is much enhanced.
    4. It now acts like more of a cruising sedan than a sports car - since the IS fills the sporty bill.
    Overall, it is as comfortable a car as I have owned. The only thing I would improve is to add some HP under the hood, which I understand the 04's will have. The power it has is more than adequate - but a little more zip would just enhance the overall car.
  • pulakpulak Posts: 2
    I have 2002 ES300. I noticed that my car lurches forward if my AC is on and while stopping in 'drive' mode. I took it to dealer. Upon investigation they told me that this symptom is common in all 2002 and 2003 ES300 but they did open a case with Lexus Factory finally.

Is that true, is this symptom common to all ES300. Why has Lexus not provided any fix to this yet. Have other people noticed this ? Is n't this a serious problem which should be addressed. It could be personal style also but I am especially concerned when parking my car inside my garage since I have to be dead slow to avoid hitting the walls due to lurching.

Has anyone else opened a case with Lexus ?
  • M.J., thanks for the great photo. Nice car! And it's very helpful to see what the Alabaster looks like CLEAN. I've been browsing dealer lots, but in the middle of Winter...well, it shows me what the different colors look like when they're grime covered. :-)

My current cars are white; easy to take care of, good visibility, but this time, want something different.

My wife likes the Alabaster, which may make it unanimous. It's kind of a stealth color. I wasn't sure I cared for it at first, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. Something subtle about it.

I also like the silver, and to a lesser extent, the gold. (Decisions, decisions!) And I think the darker colors are very rich looking. But I wonder whether they'd be a bear to keep clean, and scratch free.

And I'm guessing (since I haven't seen the color) that the Starlite Pearl might be somewhat darker than the alabaster or silver, and a bit lighter than the Mystic Sea. I wonder where the Starlite falls in the "easy to keep clean" spectrum.

Cheers,
    Bill
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    I don't have ES300, but my previous Maxima, Altima and current QX4 all more or less have lurching "problem". In "drive" mode, If I hold the brake firmly I don't feel it. If I hold the brake just enough to stop the car, and turn on the A/C, I can feel the car moves a bit forward.

It's not a real problem to me.
  • I just bought the ES300 about a week ago and so far I love this car. My decision was between the ES with the Nav and the BMW 525, but the ride of the Lexus is much more comfortable.

I have been reading about the service and oil changes on this forum and had a question. I have always used Jiffy Lube or some type of quick-change location. It's fast and about $30.00. They also provide a lot of the services that are required on the 30K service. Would there be a reason that I would not want use these types of places? Thanks a lot.
  • kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    Lurching - I experience this too in my '02 ES when stopped and the A/C is on. It feels like my car is being nudged from behind by another car. A service writer at the Lexus dealer guessed it was from the A/C compressor being turned on and off in Auto mode. I should probably go into manual mode and turn the A/C on and off manually to see if this is it. I haven't experienced this in other cars with auto climate control.

Car color - Colors that are close to silver or gray are the easiest to maintain, as dust accumulation seems to blend in the best with these colors. It's hard to tell unless you're close up or you wash the car...then you think, wow, that was a lot of dust on the car. I used to think white was the easiest to keep looking clean, but silver tops it easily.

Service - I can think of a lot of reasons not to take your new ES to Jiffy Lube, or "these type of places". For starters, you're guaranteed to get an 'el cheapo' oil filter, and who knows if they change your oil with the right type of oil. Secondly, who knows what fluids they're using for the other services...it's certainly not Toyota's. For oil changes, Jiffy Lube and the other chains seem a safer bet than a lot of the gas stations and independent shops out there though. I know a local gas station which uses recycled oil (without telling the customer) and has a complete disregard for the oil weight requirements for a car.

Want the best for your car without paying the Lexus dealer markup? Pick up a bunch of 90915-20004 Toyota oil filters (Made in Japan by Denso, the best and largest OEM filter you can get for your ES) for ~$8/each from your Toyota dealer. And pick up a case or more of quality brand motor oil (Castrol, Pennzoil, any of the name-brands like Chevron), whatever is on sale. They go for as low as 59 cents/qt ($3 for the 5qts you need). Go to an oil change place that isn't busy and where you can watch them do the oil change. Labor shouldn't be more than $10-12. An oil change is a really simple thing as long as you have a lift so you don't have to crawl under the car. Total cost isn't more than $25, and not only are you giving your car the highest quality parts, but you know that it's being done right. And it usually takes less than half the time that the Lexus dealer would take. Not to mention you're getting a much higher quality filter than the Lexus dealer is going to give you, at half the price.

If this sounds like too much of a bother and you don't even want to think about the parts or how the service should be done, I would recommend going to the Lexus dealer for service. Lexus dealers aren't perfect either though. You'd think paying $50 for a tire rotation means they'll do it right. I know 3 instances when the service was paid for and they never even rotated the tires! (determined by marks placed on the tires). That's why I don't like it when i can't see my car being worked on. if it doesn't involving replacing parts and fluids that you can see have been changed, you never know whether it's done or not.
  • I don't use the quickie oil change places for one simple reason, the oil pan drain plug. They don't install a new oil pan drain plug when they change the oil and they don't use a torque wrench when they tighten it. One quickie place left the drain plug loose and it cost me $900 for a repair job I didn't need to fix an oil leak which I later determined was the oil pan drain plug that was not torqued. Dealers usually install new drain plugs when they change the oil.
    Good Luck.
  • kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    Dealers do not usually install a new drain plug when they change the oil. All that gets changed is the 50 cent gasket, which is all that needs to get changed. And it's highly doubtful any oil change place (including the dealer) uses a torque wrench and tightens the drain plug to the proper spec.
    Tire rotation is a service in which you do want your tires to be hand-tightened with a torque wrench to the proper 76 ft-lb (103N-m)spec. Once again, going to the dealer is no guarantee that this will be done.
  • kreativ - you wrote 'Not to mention you're getting a much higher quality filter than the Lexus dealer is going to give you, at half the price'.
    Do you really mean that filter is better than the one the Lexus dealer will install? What filter would that be?

Also, my experience is that my Silver car is wonderful at hiding dust - of course, my last car was black, so anything is an upgrade in that department.

Who has pictures of their ES with custom 16" rims? I want to look at some...