Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    I haven't driven my '02 ES enough, but I experience exactly what you described in my LS. I've been wondering about that for a few months now.

I'd heard of various creaks, squeaks, and rattles with the '02 ES, and not surprisingly, they've been in all different places. The car's so quiet with the windows up and stereo off that any small noise really makes its presence felt.
    I don't have what you mentioned, but I do have this ticking noise coming from what sounds like left of the steering wheel. It's annoying, but not enough for me to want the Lexus service center to take things apart and possibly create other creaks and squeaks.

• micalenemicalene Posts: 7
    My new ES does not do this{hesitation when easing off the accelerator}, but our GS has been doing it for quite a while. Of course,dealer could not duplicate the "gripe".It feels like throttle switch(?) or computor vice a tranny glitch.Anyone else with this problem who's had it fixed?
  • stejstej Posts: 4
    Thanks for your input on factory orders. My dealer seemed like a good guy, but I could not get the cynic to stop questioning...always good to know I am being dealt with honestly. Nothing left but the wait!
  • dbhatiadbhatia Posts: 4
    I have been experiencing the same transmission jerking many times when the speed is over 45 MPH, This happens mostly when I am driving in city and ease my foot from the gas pedal a little bit.
    I have had my ES'02 since last 2 weeks and have already put 500 Miles ...I also have some vibrations from the engine in the morning time for few seconds before it get's warmed up ...than everthing is fine ...no noise ...just when downshifting transmission is hesitating ...let's hope with time it will learn, when I go for my 1000 miles service or check up I am going to bring this point and let you know what the service person said ...good luck and safe driving
    Give Lexus a call too if you're not happy with the performance of the transmission. I heard enough people have complained about the '02ES that they're "evaluating the situation." It'd be nice if they issued a transmission program update (since it's all electronically controlled).
    The problems may go away after you drive longer, since it's a "learning" transmission. But there's probably some baseline standards that the transmission program adheres to.
  • tk_dettk_det Posts: 21
    This is tk_det. Thanks for the quick response gentlemen and/or ladies. My car has just over 4000 miles on it. I think I shall print this last page and show it to the Lexus dealer the next time I go in. Since it is not an engine issue (I'm getting excellent milage) I feel that it is not something I need to rush off to the dealer to get looked at immediately.

Kreative: When you say give Lexus a call are you suggesting the dealer or the national customer service number?

Sliang: I'm not sure if the transmission "learns" as mileage accumulates although that would be nice but it is more likely that we drivers "learn" what action causes the reaction and then subconsciously don't do it as often.

Thanks all
  • tk_dettk_det Posts: 21
    This is tk_det again. It may sound like I am unhappy with my car but just the opposite is true I really really love it and it just these little quirks that need to be tweaked.

My car has the NAV system and I live in the metro Detroit area that has full coverage. The NAV systems when it acquires the GPS signal has a little box that appears below the compass in the upper left corner of the map. The system uses this to coordinate its position. During brief periods when the car is in a tunnel or among tall building that block the signal, the block will disappear and an internal "inertial navigation" (my words) algorithm will take over to estimate the cars position until a signal can be re-acquired. By the way, that is why you can and should do a re-calibration when you get new tires. The new circumference of the fresh tire needs to be compensated for by the algorithm.

My problem: When I got the car, the GPS box was hardly ever on. When it came on it wasn't always at the same spot on the earth. This tells me that the problem is not the satellite signal having a weak "footprint" in the area I happen to be driving in because the absence of signal was not geographically consistent.

Without a GPS signal the NAV system valiantly tried to show me where the car was and sometimes it succeeded for 15 to 20 minutes but then the internal navigation would be overwhelmed. The map pointer would go off in a random direction and I would be "driving" in the middle of a lake or "cross country" in the wrong direction some twenty or thirty mile from where I actually was. When a GPS signal was finally reacquired for a sufficient length of time the maps would snap back to the correct position.

After two trips to the dealer who tried to implement some diagnostic suggestions from factory technicians in California, the end result was that they put all the original parts back in (antenna and ECU) but couldn't come up with a reason for the GPS dropouts.

The last time I got the car back it did work different and it did work better. A GPS signal would be acquired anywhere between 2 minutes and 10 minutes from start up (previously sometimes not at all) and once acquired it stays on for the duration of the trip (previously it only stayed on briefly).

Yesterday however I didn't get a signal for the first 15 minutes of driving and the car got lost again. I was exiting the e-way to head over to the dealer when of course it acquired a signal again. I plan to have this addressed again when I go in for my 5000 mile checkup and I really don't want to lemon law this thing as the car is beautiful and I love it. But Lexus is reluctant to switch out the part because it is so expensive. (The service rep has told me this.)

Anybody out there experiencing the same problem? Was it resolved? Any techies got any ideas?

Sorry for the wordiness.
  • Has anybody had any transmission, Engine problems or any other problems with the ES 300? I am considering the option of buying a ES 300 that just came off a lease.....
  • karklinkarklin Posts: 15
    Has anyone removed the CD changer from the glove compartment of a Lexus ES-300.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks Leo-K
  • Has anybody had any transmission, engine problems or any other problems with the 2000 Lexus ES 300?
    I am considering the option of buying a 2000 Lexus ES 300 off a lease! Thanks! :)
  • sr97sr97 Posts: 1
    I've had my 2002 ES300 for two months now and also noticed the transmission problem. I reported it to the dealer at the 1000mi check-up and they "could not reproduce it at this time".
    Except for the transmission, I'm very happy with the car. It is very quiet and the interior has a rich, luxurious feeling.
    My previous car was a 97 Camry V6 with the 4-speed automatic which was much smoother than this new 5-speed in the 2002 ES300. We should organize a petition to Lexus Corporate to investigate and fix the transmission.

-SR
    You could give Lexus headquarters (not just your local dealer) a call, let them know about the transmission, and ask them if Lexus has planned to do anything about it. Try to get past just the receptionists if you can...they usually don't know much of anything.

I'm not far from their headquarters in Torrance, CA. So if I ever pass by, I'll go in and bug them in person. =)
    '02 ES pricing seems to be at the lowest point thus far. If you're in an automotive hot spot, I wouldn't pay any more than $800 over invoice for a low to mid-level package. Internet sales departments appear to be the most willing to deal, and it's the most hassle-free. Good luck.
  • amkenamken Posts: 1
    I am considering buying my first Lexus,a 1995 ES 300, from a private party, for $8750. It has 136,000 miles. Any advice about this model and whether or not you think this is a good price for the miles etc, would be very much appreciated!
  • cwdavis1cwdavis1 Posts: 31
    Just to let you know....I have checked with about 20 dealers in the midwest region from Oklahoma, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tenn. and even North and South Carolina and I think that is it. I finally put my order in on a 2002 ES 300-Silver with light charcoal and Nav/ML and was given a $3,000 discount. I was able to get that price from a dealer in Missouri and again in Oklahoma (the latter very reluctantly)---otherwise most discounts were in the $1000-2000 range. Others would not budge off list. Amazingly, dealers are not aggressively pricing the ES and very few have any in stock at least from those I checked (I actually emailed 40 dealers). I am moving to LA in the summer but thought I would get it now (scheduled to come in June) rather than wait and see if I could get an even better deal in LA. We are now getting closer to the end of the 2002 model year so depreciation will become a factor. I did consider waiting until the 2003 model came out but felt pricing discounting would lessen. How is everyone else doing on pricing?? I am somewhat bothered about the recent transmission comments however.
  • rebelskrebelsk Posts: 65
    I used the Zaino Z-2 and am quite pleased with the results. The car feels quite smooth and has a great shine. I have another question for ES owners. I got my 2002 ES in January and will be reaching 10000 miles in a few weeks. Do most of you get the service from Lexus dealers or do you go to independent places. The independents are certainly a lot cheaper and I wonder if it will make much difference to go to a lexus dealer. What are the advantages of paying the premeium when bringing it to a Lexus dealer?
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    You have 10K miles already? Have you had any troubles and what kind of highway mpg have you been getting? Do you use premium fuel?
    10K service for '02 ES is basically an oil change and a tire rotation. The price you're going to see for that at a Lexus dealer is $90+. If they charge even more and tell you that's because they do more, they just want more of your money. Also, Lexus dealers like to charge a premium on checks and inspections when they'll gladly do it for you for free during an oil change if you ask. After all, if they find anything wrong, that just means they get to rip you off again to fix it, or have Lexus corp. pay for it if it's under warranty.

What you do get at a Lexus dealer is a nice loaner car for the more expensive services, a much nicer waiting area for the shorter services, and maybe friendlier service for those who don't mind paying to be treated more nicely. I took my LS in recently for an oil change because they were willing to give me an '02 ES loaner car while they were doing the change. I baby my '02 ES for the most part, so this let me test out the ES more aggressively.

You can have other places do the same oil change/tire rotation service for about $30. If you don't have any idea about oil quality, oil filter quality, or tire rotations, I wouldn't take it to just any independent service place though. Try a place that works only on Toyotas, or your local Toyota dealer. As long as the service advisor there isn't a complete moron (like the one at my local Toyota dealer), he'll know that something as easy as an oil change and tire rotation can be done on an ES just like if it were a Camry V6.

If you plan to take it elsewhere, here's some things to keep in mind:
    1. Check what brand and type oil they are using. It should be 5W-30 or 10W-30, new (not recycled) oil, and from a name brand you recognize.
    2. Make sure the oil filter is of acceptable quality. This is what helps keep your oil clean. Most independent places use cheap $1 oil filters (Fram, Champ, etc.) that just plain stink. Some good brands of oil filters are: Purolator PureOne ($5), Mobil1 ($10), and the Toyota OEM filter that is made in Japan by Denso (90915-20003 or 90915-20004, the latter filtering better. I've seen it for $7 at Toyota, $14 at Lexus for the exact same filter) The domestic-made Toyota oil filter isn't as good, but it's much cheaper at $3-5 and is certainly better than the ones used at most independent shops.
    3. For tire rotation, make sure that your wheel bolts are hand-torqued to 76ft-lb, in the appropriate criss-cross pattern. Overtightening will cause problems.
  • rebelskrebelsk Posts: 65
    So far, knock on wood,I have not had any problems and have been very happy with the car. I do a lot of driving and have been using premieum fuel and averaging 27-28 highway mpg. The engine is very responsive and I really enjoy the Levinson Stereo system. I got the car in starlight pearl as a special order as I had not seen the color on a car and am very happy with the color as it changes depanding on the amount of sunlight.