Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• parnolaparnola Posts: 140
    When I got my car home from the dealer, I washed the wheels and applied Zaino to them. Now the brake dust wipes right off during a normal washing of the car.
  • hk2lahk2la Posts: 53
    That's the basic Premium Pkg. I paid about $32,500 in January, without VSC. Invoice w/o VSC is about $31,500 (and that includes their advertising). And MSRP is $35,293 (I'm looking at the sticker that was on my car). I also paid $45 for documentation fee. These $300 doc fees that various people have mentioned in diff. parts of the country is outrageous. What a rip.
  • tiger8tiger8 Posts: 120
    I'm new to this board. What's been the thinking on the sludge issue? Forget it because Lexus will repair it for 8 years? They've changed the engine? Etc.

Transmission? Have their been problems with the 5-speed auto transmission? I thought I heard something about that, plus I believe Consumer Reports noted it as well. Any problems with it? Has it been corrected?

Thanks.
  • atoewsatoews Posts: 637
    This board has many comments on both. I own an 02 ES300, have noted the transmission issue, and as far as I am concerned, it would definitely not dissuede me from buying this car. At my 1000 mile check, the dealer said that this "problem" is normal and dependant upon how the car is driven.

As far as the sludge issue goes, just make sure you follow the advertised maintenance schedule and you should not have the problem.
    Thanks for the info. Can you tell me what transmission problems you've had? Sudden downshifting? Lugging at low speeds (Consumer REports mentioned this.) How do you like the car in general? Any negatives?
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    For those of you interested, the 2002 ES was recently crash tested by the Government's New Car Assessment Program and did quite well:

35MPH Frontal:
    Driver: 5 Stars
    Pass: 5 Stars

Side Impact:
    DRIVER: 5 stars
    DRIVER SIDE REAR PASSENGER: 4 stars

Not too shabby, but nothing less than I would expect from vehicle with a $40K MSRP.
    ~alpha
  • ramzakramzak Posts: 9
    I'm about to plunk some money down on a 2002 ES300, do I need the navigation, NO! But,does anyone that has it, find that they couldn't live without it,and really likes it? Is it worth the cost, and does it get in the way of playing CD's.
    By the way, I have found that if you wanted the wood steering wheel, you have to purchase about $4000 worth of other option as well. I was really interested in the MBenz C-320, but the comfort and quietness of the Lexus is unbeatable.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    The wood steering wheel and shift knob is only about $300. It is a stand alone option.

I, too, did not need the nav but got it. I absoultely love it. It is very accurate in helping find restaurants, etc. Also, it provides some piece of mind to know I always know where I am and where I'm going.

It does not interfere with the CD as far as I'm concerned. The 6-disk CD changer is in the center console, and when playing the nav shows which CD of the six is playing, the time into the CD, etc. When playing the single CD the screen shows just that CD. You can choose between having it switch back to the nav, or having it stay on the CD mode.

I really enjoy the nav and would say get it.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    What does the ES300's monthly service fee for the navigation system run? Is it about that much in all cars with navigation?
  • bananabanana Posts: 5
    There is no monthly fee for navigation. Maybe you're thinking of Lexus Link or Onstar.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    My mom is going to be ordering a company car within the next few months and if she gets the Avalon I am telling her to get the navigation system that will be in it for 2003. I wasn't sure if there was a subscription fee or what. However, my dad will argue against the NAV because (no offense to anyone, because I disagree with my dad) he thinks no person can be stupid enough to need help getting around wherever they live. I beg to differ because it has so many other functions than just telling you how to get somewhere. What else does the Lexus navigation do? And does anyone know if the Lexus navigation systems are used on Toyota products like the Camry and Land Cruiser? Thanks.
  • parnolaparnola Posts: 140
    coolguyky7 - all of the Toyota/Lexus vehicles use the Nav system provided by Denso.
    The transmission problem feels kind of like a timing issue, ie it feels like it misses. However, it is mostly controllable. This is not a car you want to "peel out" in. Short, apply-release sequences on the accelerator cause a sharp, jerky response.

I was going to insist that my dealer let me test drive another ES300 to compare to mine, but so many on this board have "squawked"the problem that I feel fairly certain that ANY ES300 will do the same thing. I feel confident that you could repeat the problem in a test drive to see what it is like.
    I took a trip to LA last week and my Nav system made things so much more efficient. One of the most useful features is the Local Point of Interest List. If you select restaurants, it will provide a list of all the restaurants in the vicinity. Ditto for gas stations.
    I predict that Nav systems will be in all cars one day, and will replace the need for maps. It warns you ahead of time which lane you need to be in, which I found very useful in LA. No more missing exits or stressing out at the last minute. If you take a wrong turn, the Nav system automatically adjusts the route.

The downside - it does not work in a detailed manner in non metropolitan areas, so you might want to check the documentation to see if it will be useful to you.

I purchased the Nav in order to get the other goodies that come packaged in the deal. The Mark Levinson stereo is wonderful and I like the AVS, etc.
    My dealer informed me that the residual value on a leased vehicle with the Nav package will be a lower percentage than that of a vehicle with a premium package. This means they expect the price of the Nav option to go down.

I plan to keep my car for a long time, so I wanted a navigation system.

By the way, the auto reviews in consumer reports do not mention that you have manual control of the audio on buttons outside of the computer control. I don't find the audio control awkward at all; just a little tricky to learn.
  • jmezzjmezz Posts: 36
    could anyone offer info on lease prices for this car 36-39 months 15k miles

thanks
    Thanks for the transmission tip. I'll check for transmission gliches when I test drive it.

Do you have skid and traction control, and, if so, did you have to buy virtually every other option to get it?
    When I puchased my vehicle, through Sam's Club, Lexus was (and still is) selling two trim packages:

One called Premium, which seems to be well documented on various web sites, lexus.com and carsdirect.com. Had I selected this option it would have cost me about $34,500 (Sam's Club price is a no-haggle price). This package has leather interior, regular sound system and other options that you can look up on the web sites. This option does not have a CD changer, Nav, Mark Levinson sound upgrade, AVS, or Power Sun Shade. I am not sure whether it has heated seats, VSC or HID. I am fairly certain it has the wood/leather steering wheel and other basic interior options like the more loaded trim package.

The other package, which cost me $37,775, includes everything except chrome wheels. When you visit the web sites, you have to build this option. It has single CD player like the premium, but with a 6 CD changer in the console. I have HID, Nav, Mark Levinson upgrade, sun shade, heated seats AVS, in console CD changer. My MSRP was $39,963. I paid $2500 over invoice because the car is in demand. When going through Sam's Club, they send you to a fleet manager (as opposed to a regular salesman) and they just quote you an amount over invoice.
    Do try and take everything all personal items out of the car when judging how noisy it is. Mine is so quiet, I think the seat belts jiggling, the noise made by vibration of where the seat belts are attached to the wall, and the vibration made by the seats (especially the empty passenger seat, bother me more than they would in a car where you can hear real noise.
    Whenever I have something like a purse on the seat or items in the console, the noise from these items is louder than that coming from the road or from the chassis of the vehicle.

The transmission is kind of an irritant, but I traded in a Camry LE and the ES300 was so superior to that, that the transmission did not bother me at all at first. I guess life is rough when expectations are high.
    Go to the "Lexus LS" board for a detailed discussion on the woes associated with getting upgrades to the Nav DVD. Apparently, the LS has had a Nav system in it for longer than the ES, and there is a larger experience base there than on this board.The discussion occurs during the last two weeks of April; from about the 13th to the 26th.

Apparently, some folks have a 2002 version of the DVD. I have a 2001 version, even though I've only had my car for a month.

Owners on the "Lexus LS" page complain that dealers promised free upgrades for a period of time, only to have the dealers back out.Upgrades cost anywhere from $300 - $500, which everyone pretty much agrees is outrageous. One of the posts referred to subscribing to LLink, but I don't know what that is.