Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• How do you find out the invoice of the Mid-west Lexus dealers? The only invoice information I got is from this website. Is that accurate?
  • Jim,

I think it may be due to the low mileage on that car or you probabaly just got a car with bad transmission. I have driven this car in two dealerships in Michigan and I did not find any transmission problems. I went for a second test drive because I heard all the comments about acceleration and shifting. Guess what, the car I drove just reponded as well as my Honda Accord 2000.

I think RX300 is a great SUV. My friend has one he really loves it.
  • somumsomum Posts: 3
    Hi,
    Dealer is quoting me 34,500 drive-out(Incl. of 6.25% tax and Title fee) on the ES300 with Premium package. Is that a good deal since the Edmunds TMV is around 35,000 drive-out but the invoice is around 32,500 drive-out?
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    That sounds like a good deal. The way I figure, it is about $3K under MSRP.
  • Got my Lexus today and drove a long way home. Finally my time to write a review on my own Lexus. The car is really great. It only has 50 miles on it and the transmission, accelerations are great. I was worried about the transmission, acceleration and noice when I went to the dealership today since many of you have complained about them here. I test drove the car and actually brought her to the highway. The result is: perfect acceleration and transmission. The transmission is very smooth and the acceleration response is quick and precise. Well, the acceleration is not as fast as TL Type S..but I really enjoyed the smooth ride. The acceleration is good enough for me to enter the highway effortlessly.

The Mark Levinson sound is great too. Navigation System is easy to use and it is really accurate. Overall, I am really impressed by the performance of this car.

I did ask the salesman about the transmission software. He has heard nothing about it. I really hope those of you who still have problems with the transmission will have the software updated.

I will post the MPG later this week. Have fun!
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Congatulations on the new purchase. I am happy to hear that you have not experienced the transmission problem I frequently hear about on this forum. The ES300 remains on my "short list" of my next new car. I would be very interested in your highway mpg as you get a few miles on the car. Thanks again for your post and will be looking forward to your next update.
  • Hi!

I am wondering where to find good floor mats (e.g websites?) for my ES 300. I prefer it to be rubber-made so I do not have to worry about snow and dirt in winter. Any ideas will be appreciated
  • cwdavis1cwdavis1 Posts: 31
    Congrats on your new purchase. Since I am moving to LA in August, I decided to get my ES there instead. I now have 3 dealers who have quoted $500 over invoice. Most want $1,000-1,200 over invoice. I will also be getting the ML/Nav package. Happy to hear Nav is easy to use and accurate. ENJOY.
  • Good deal. More competition in LA does give buyers lots of advantages. So what is your final price including tax and licenses? I suppose it is a much better deal than Michigan?

Went out and drove the car again. People never discussed about braking system here. I would like to comment on it: The braking system is superb. I would say much better than the Honda Accord. You could stop the car very easily and smoothly.

Acceleration, as I mentioned before, is now still very responsive. I hope you would get your car soon. cwdavis.
  • kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    I think I remember talking to you at the beginning of the year.
    $500 over invoice is an even sweeter deal when you're getting the fully loaded ES. Did you do all negotiations through the Internet with their Internet sales departments?
    Did they make the offer based on your purchasing the car not now but in August?
  • atoewsatoews Posts: 637
    I currently have 3000 miles on my ES300. I purchased it in March and my vehicle has the transmission problem experienced by many others.

At my 5000 mile maintenance, I am going to insist on test driving several ES300s to see whether they have the problem. If the test driven vehicles do not have the problem, I will insist that Lexus fix or replace my transmission. If the vehicles I test do have the problem, I will conclude that those owners who report no problem really do have the transmission problem, and are simply insensitive to it.

I live 100 miles from the nearest dealer, or I would do my test drive within the week. As it stands, I will have to wait until about August to do the test at my 5000 mile check.

It would be nice if someone else with the transmission problem would try this test and post the results on this board.
    Call in advance, and get an '02 ES loaner car. Then you can drive it all over the place and give it a thorough evaluation.
  • I don't think it is exactly right to say that people who claimed no transmission problems were being insensitive. I made my transition from a Honda Accord 2000 to 2002 Lexus ES300 and I have to tell you that after 3 days of driving I really think the transmission in this car is far superior than my Honda Accord 2000. I could really tell the difference.

Another factor you might want to consider while test driving other loaner cars is the month/year which they were manufactured. I know people have been saying that there is no difference. However, none of us worked in Japan's manufacturing plants or HQ so you never know.

I really hope that you would get the value of what you paid for. This is a great car and I really hope everyone would enjoy it.

More driving experience to follow....
    kreativ--good memory--we did visit earlier in the year and I too was surprised by the even more aggressive pricing I have found. I emailed 14 dealers within a 50 mile radius of LA and about 10 have responded so far. Timing did not seem to matter a whole lot with most but some did say it would depend what was available and/or coming in August. However, the $500 over invoice was there by 3 of the 10 and most others were $1,000-1,200 over invoice. List price was $39,963 as it is loaded including AVS and VSC. Invoice is $35,232. So they are coming to LA either loaded or less than loaded and that is about it. The one dealer in El Monte (Longo) informed me that they have 125 ES 300 (2002) in stock right now!! The dealers here in St. Louis have none in stock. I have only dealt with the internet folks.

Aceking2000- as to "out the door", I guess it will be $35232 invoice, $500 markup, $2,948 tax (8.25%), $235 license and a $45 doc fee for a total of price of $38,960. I am okay with that. Although I would like to get chrome wheels but that would add an additional $850.

I really want to get the car NOW but it really does not make a lot of sense since we are moving the first part of August and it is senseless to register it in MO and then CA. Also, by August we should know what changes (if any) are planned for the 2003 model.
    I'd wait until August too. Just a couple months away, and who knows, the price could even go lower once the 2003 is right around the corner.
    I believe Longo is the highest volume Lexus dealer in the western part of the US. It was a different story when I went there in December though...they hardly had any ES in stock.
    Did you talk to Marc Evans? He's one of the guys that handles Internet sales at Longo.
    Dealing with the Internet folks is the way to go. In LA, that means you get to comparison shop between a dozen dealers without ever having to leave your home.
    If I follow you correctly and you are moving from the midwest to CA, it makes even more sense than you think to wait.

The California packages will ensure that your vehicle meets the California emmissions requirements, and the packages sold in California are more suited to the west coast driving conditions. For example, all-weather tires are not on the California packages, and AVS comes on the California loaded package. Heated seats are not available on the premium package in California (they come with the loaded package, however), whereas all four midwest options have heated seats and no AVS.
    After Sept 11, Toyota stepped down production of ES300 in anticipation that Sept 11 indicident might negatively impact sales. I was told that by a couple of dealers and by the personnel at Sam's Club. I suspect that a greater number of vehicles now means lower prices than when I purchased my car in March. The Sam's Club people predicted that vehicle prices would go lower, in fact.

I bought mine anyway then anyway, because of the possibility that a price increase in the invoice might offset the greater availability of vehicles.

Bottom line is that it looks as though buyers in LA should be able to negotiate a deal between $500 - $1000 over invoice.
    I meant that for those owners who do not experience the transmission problem, it could be one of two reasons: 1) the problem is there, but they do not experience or feel the problem or the problem does not bother them or 2) the problem is not there in their vehicles.

The numerous comments on this web site indicates to me that it is most likely a design problem, not a problem with individual vehicles. I guess I would like to get to the bottom of why many of us experience the problem and many do not.
  • Yeah. I agree with you. I will be interested in finding out too. Lexus is always striving for excellence and they should be able to fix you and many others' problems.

Went out for driving again today. Did notice a small rattling sound on the passenger side but it is not too bothersome. Any others experience the same issue? I will bring it up to my technician for the first 30 day checkup.
    Yes, I am in discussions with Marc Evans at Longo. Is that where you got your car? If not, where did you go and are you happy with the dealer since I see you are from LA also and I will soon be back in that area. Actually, we are moving to Hollywood so as long as a dealer close by will match Longo or if not, I am told that Longo has a mobile service and will come to you which I think is pretty cool.

Couldn't agree with you more. The internet is the only way to go in LA because of the great competitive environment. One sends out emails and the responses flow in within 24 hours.