Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• igibanigiban Posts: 530
    If one has an ES or TL with Nav for 4 months and is still not sure how to use the Nav, it's a good sign that he/she really should not have gotten it the first place, for one reason or the other. These are really easy to use tools that can come in handy when you need it. But if printing maps serve you fine it's cool too.

When I got my ES I actually wanted one with Nav w/o ML. They did not have that but they do now. I think they still don't have one with ML only tho. I was glad they did not have such config at the time. ML rocks.
  • velostic.....price out the 17"s and you'll find the cost much higher than the 16"s and the brand / type options to be fewer....the 17"s sure look nice with the six spoke, but the price and availability is a consideration.

In addition, the 17"s are suppose to ride stiffer due to the narrower sidewall. I have an 05 with the 17"s but haven't pushed it hard to tell the difference from the 16's which I had on an 2000ES (Toyo TPTs). For me, I decided on the better looking rim on the color I wanted. The 17"s look really nice and the 16"s are similar to the Camry XLE rims.
  • i just became the proud owner of a 2000 lexus 300es. (also, i'm many thousands poorer.)
     in talking to my mechanic, (have already had to replace oxygen sensor) i was advised to never, never jump start my car. nor should i hook up any lexus to jump start another car. he said that it will do damage to the alternator.
    anyone know about this? if such is true, does this mean that if my battery dies before i replace it that i must call the tow truck? or what?
    also, soon it will be tire time. is it true that i can move to H rated. V is terribly expensive with terrible warranty. the falken is looking pretty good to me, per reviews on tirerack.
    thanks for any help.
  • I have 2001 ES 300. I used it to jump start my pickup truck a couple of times. The car seems to have no ill effect so far.
    Regarding the V-rated tire, my car originally came with Bridgestone RE092 V-rated 16" tires. After they wore out at 25K, I changed them to Yokohama Avid H4 which are H-rated. They have much better wet traction compared to RE092, and also last longer and cheaper compared to old RE092. I think tire rack now shows tires from Bridgestone called Potenza G009 at about the same price as Yoko, and the reviews seem to be quite positive. You might want to try them.
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,026
    differences in the Coach Edition or Platinium Edition are cosmetic...different leather, floor mats, wheels, side badging, smoke black emblems, and color options. I wasn't aware they had the Coach in 2000 for the ES, believe it was the Platinium, which is what I have. Coach Editions included a piece of Coach luggage.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    You can figure out yourself whether or not the car has HID headlights and VSC.

TO figure out the VSC, check out the button under the driver side of the dashboard, under the key hole. If you follow it down some going towards the gas pedal you will see a black button. On it should say either "TRAC" or "VSC".

To figure out HIDs, simply turn on the headlights. You can tell from the color of the light being emitted. If it's bluish in the beginning and then turns whiter after a few seconds, it's got HIDs. Also, when you first turn on the lights, if it's got HIDs, they usually swivel up and down slightly to adjust. You can easily see this if the car is parked up against a wall or something.
  • 16" tires provide a better and quieter ride. 17" tires improve handling slightly. It all depends on what you value more.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Exactly what is the Lexus "December Sale"?
  • Would like to hear what kind of mileage people are getting with the 2005 es330. Looking to buy one. Will I get a better price after dec. 25th?

Was told by dealer problem with later is inventory gets low.

Thanks
  • Hi Charlie:

I bought a 2005 ES330 last Saturday and have 350 miles on the car so far. Averaging 21.8 mpg (combination of city and highway miles). To see the specifics of my purchase see the price paid board (I don't want to get into trouble for posting on the wrong thread).

Good luck to you and happy holidays.
  • Maybe this has been covered before, but for the life of me I can't tell the difference between the Camry and ES 330 (On the road or in the parking lot).

How does Toyota (Lexus) manage to sell , at a premium, the ES

model. Are their big differences under the sheet metal?

What's the skinny?
    "but for the life of me I can't tell the difference between the Camry and ES 330 (On the road or in the parking lot)."

I would suggest to get a pair of glasses! lol.
  • Are you kidding? Have you examined each of them? Have you test drove them both? My sons in-laws had a Camry XLE and were always of the opinion they were the same. Since then, they leased the ES and now state there is indeed a world of difference. At the dealership, the difference becomes even more pronounced. The keyword is QUALITY. Lexus gives you a super helping.
  • My Mom has a '99 ES with 25k miles. Yes, 25k. She's followed the maintenance schedule according to mileage, but I wonder if she should be following the "time" schedule. I don't have acess to a routine maint. schedule, does anyone have a link to one? Any suggestions on what should be done by the six year mark. I thinking all belts and hoses at least. Brake fluid perhaps? Thanks everyone, ep.
    Your mom should be following the time schedule and not the mileage schedule. She should be getting oil changes every 6 months at least. Also remember the 99 ES300 engine is one of those engines that has had oil sludging problems.

I think at this point if it hasn't been done, alot of fluids should definately be changed, especially brake fluid, transmission fluid, coolant. As for belts, you should have them checked before getting them changed.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I reviewed the service with her tonight and it's had a oil changes every eight to ten months with the 15k service done at 15k. I'll bring it in for the 30,000 / major service and a likely transmission fluid change when I'm home next week. I'll have here follow the time schedule a bit more closely from here out.
  • gratzgratz Posts: 4
    My third Lexus is a 2004 ES330. It is the worst car I have ever owned. When you lift the foot off the accelerator, the car slows rapidly. Three times I nearly got rear ended. Then at about 18 mph, it jumps and goes into a normal coasting. Lexus says this is "normal". But it does it to varying degrees. Sometimes not at all. How can that be normal? Friends that have driven it have nicknamed it the "Lurch". Have 6K on it, but if something doesn't change, I am going to Infiniti or Acura NOW. It is better than getting killed by a close following vehicle.
  • Traded my 2002 ES300, with 27,500 miles, for a 2005 ES330. Averaged 28 to 29 on highway travel with the 2002 ES300. ES330, only 1,000 miles, averaging for highway travel around 27 mph so far. Extremely happy with both cars.
  • carlocarlo Posts: 2
    I too have a problem with the transmission on my ES330, sometime it seems to skip an than suddenly jump into gear. This is a very dangerous situation, when merging onto a major highway. The dealer said there is nothing they can do to correct this problem, I am waiting on a call from Lexus to see if they, "can make me happy". I intend on filing a Florida Lemon Law complaint, I feel this is a very unsafe situation. I am looking for other people with similar complains.
  • Tranny hassles or not this car rules and truly is a plush, excellent driving , solid car. A good driver can easily compensate for the transmission issue. I would buy another if I could.
  • silleck330....

Your statement "Tranny hassles or not"

is rediculous. If you purchase a car for $35,000 or more and the transmission does not work properly, you got ripped-off. Obviously, the engine and the transmission are the most important components of the vehicle. Your interior comforts are always secondary if you can't get to point B reliably.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    How many out there with a 2004 or 2005 ES 330 have a defective transmission? Is it a very widespread problem? Have any of you who have a defective transmission received any satisfaction from Lexus in either successfully repairing your car or replacing it with a brand new car which does not have the problem?

Why is the Mark Levinson audio system only available as part of an expensive equipment package and not as a stand-alone option?

Thanks.
  • My experience is that the transmission could be smoother but does not rise to "Defective". If driven properly the transmission works perfectly on my car. It sounds like your transmission problems are more severe than mine.

As I stated in my previous post my 2005 ES 330 is a superb vehicle and I have no complaints.
  • carlocarlo Posts: 2
    You need to worry more about the transmission, than of the mileage.
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    For those who got Toyo J33 summer tires with your 02+ ES can you share with the mileage it was when the tires were quite worn-out and ready for replacements? Summer tires wear faster than all season but is 20K-miles-only life normal?
  • I had a 2004 ES330 and it had horrible hesitation issues. I called Lexus customer service several times with no help offered. The last time I contacted them they blatantly stated that the car was operating as designed and that there was nothing more they could do for me. But they did give me a phone number in case I wanted to go through arbitration with them. Basically I got the royal screw job. As for one of the other posters on this board that states you should alter your driving habits to minimize the hesitation problems, I think that person should have their head examined!!! You purchased a new car you should expect it to be flawless, this is not a Kia.

Also just a side note the all new Toyota Avalon is getting a new solid state electronically controlled throttle system, perhaps the ES330 drive by wire throttle system is problematic!!! The Avalon Limited edition will be nicer that the ES330 WITH A 270+ hp. engine and less $$$$$$. In my opinion don't buy the ES330 or you will regret it every time you press the accelerator. Good Luck!
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    Hi mrdlexus, thanks for the advice. This car (Lexus ES330) sounds inherently defective and I think I'll stay away from it. Addtionally, I don't like the way the ML sound system is bundled with additional tiered options as part of a package in order to jack up the price. It should be a stand-alone option, of course.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    Mrdlexus, would you please elaborate on the "new solid state electronically controlled throttle system" referred to in your post?

I believe the "drive by wire throttle" system has an inherent design flaw as most cars built with such system invariably have hesitation problems during accelaration. For example, in the past 13 years I have owned three Maximas, and my 03 Max (the only one with drive by wire) has a slight acceleration hesitation, but definitely not as bad as that described by some of the posters here.

Although the Nissan dealer acknowledged the hesitation problem, I was told that "that is how drive by wire operates." If that is indeed true, why would a manufacturer put in a throttle system that is defective? Is this system cheaper to make and install? Any thoughts and comments?
  • I could not comment on any Nissan's since I have never owned one, but the ES330 I can comment on. This was not barely noticeable hesitation, this was full blown why isn't the car moving yet, type of hesitation. It was so bad that passengers wondered what was wrong with my car, because it jerked them around during shifts and the tranny shifting made weird noises. The problem was not there 100% of the time, but enough to make you think every time you started from a stop, or tried to merge into traffic.

As far as the new Avalon system you can check it out at the Toyota website. Many future Avalon customers are greatly concerned that the redesigned model will have the problematic throttle system that is used in the ES, but Toyota goes to great lengths to specifically state "all new solid state". We'll see but I would not hold my breath!!

I think the ES was a good overall car, but would be the best car for its price if Lexus/Toyota could fix this nagging transmission/throttle problem. I have never driven a car before that has so much delay "built in" to the throttle system. Every person that drove my ES commented on it. I did not tell them the problem, I just wanted to find out if I was imagining things or not. Truth be told, test drive the ES if you can live with it then buy it, the hesitation will affect people in different ways. I clearly noticed it, while others may not. Simply put, when I press the accelerator I expect the car to move, not wait 1- 1.5 seconds to decide if it wants to move. The ES is not a high performance car but should be able to handle normal driving conditions.

I had a 1999 Camry V6 XLE that was smoother and quieter than the ES330, just not as luxiourous. Test drive the ES and look for the hesitation, I'll guarantee you will notice it.

Just remember if you end up buying the ES don't think you will get your money back, Lexus won't even admit there is a problem. One day they will fix it and probably not say a word, hopefully someone on one of there boards will keep us posted. If they ever fix this problem I would but the car again, but if not then never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.