Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• EdsotoEdsoto Posts: 42
    Hi:

I would like to program it so that I don't have to keep hitting the on/off buttons.
  • Where are the front cupholders located in the 2002+ ES? Do they fold out of the center console arm rest like in the Avalon?
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    I have an 03 and its in front of the center console.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 283
    Do you feel the shifting points worse than normal? What's the speed and RPM when you hear the noise?
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,006
    If turned off, I don't believe the AC or mirror come back on automaticly. Why would you not want the AC on anyway? Besides, I don't think it runs continuously even if the light is on. There's another topic, believe on the M & R board, about how to cut off the AC, that may be of interest to you. General feeling was to leave it alone and operate as intended.
  • If you mean its in front of the armrest, do you find that it gets in the way of your arm when you want to shift? I think the Camry has it in a much better place not having it in the way of the dash or the arm of the driver. It seems that Toyota could have figured this one out by now. I know the 97-01 ES had the same design.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    actually, I just bought the car a couple weeks ago so I can't give you an answert on that.
  • nfjnrnfjnr Posts: 25
    Purchased a 2003 ES300 Dec31 and was surprised to find out the tires are Toyo Proxes J33. Toyo is the original equopment tire manufacturer for the ES300. The J33 are classified as summer tires,not recommended for snow or ice.The manual says to buy snow tires. I live in Florida, so thats okay until I travel up north to N.Y etc. in the winter. I called Toyo Tires in Calif. and they said they dont have an all season version of this original equipment tire. Can someone from a state where there is snow tell me what tires came with their car? Thanks
  • hoorayhooray Posts: 15
    Tires: My 2002 came with Bridgestone Potenza V rated all season tires. I haven't driven it in the snow. I use my wife's AWD Highlander for the snow.

Leak: I just discovered a very wet spot under my left rear floor mat that is nearly half the size of the floor mat. Has anyone else had this problem. There is no obvious source of the leak.
  • WELL I test drove ES300 Again

Brought my GS in for a service. I got a Es300 for an hour to go get lunch and test drive it.

I saw almost right away the problem with the shifting. That everyone has been complaining about. It was a rough shift around the 3000 to 4000 RPM range. Happened almost everytime.

I heard the engine make a lower roar than the GS300. That is because of the V6. not a problem for me.

But that stupid wood on the stearing whell drives me crazy. Also it was cold to the touch. Slimy.

The stearing was loose compared to the GS300

When I left I went right into the Infiniti Dealer and test drove the I35. I was Suprised I liked it alot. Including the heated Stearing wheel. I was quoted $404 a month for a 48 month lease with 12k. I am sure it can be got for a cheaper price.

I don't know I might change to Infiniti. I still got months to think about it. Of course If I can get a GS300 for $404 a month I would stay lol

BTW the cabin noise did not seem more than my Lexus. That was the major complaint I seen on message boards.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    In addition to what people are saying here, all the new 5-speed auto ES300s I have driven have had a reproducible drivetrain shudder just as the torque converter locks up at 39-40 mph under light throttle conditions. In the end, I was forced to trade in a 2003 ES300 with 500 miles on iy because I was told that this is a "characteristic" that will not go away.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    I am interested in the 2002 and 2003 ES 300, but I have not driven one yet. When I read about the transmission problems, it appears that some of the issues are in the range of 35 to 45 mph. Has anyone tried driving with the shift lever in "3" in this range and for city driving, and then shifting to "4-0" for highway driving?
  • hoorayhooray Posts: 15
    I own a 2000 ES 300 and I have not experienced the severe transmission problems that some owners have. But the car is rather sluggish to downshift and accelerate at highway speeds. (My 1991 Acura Legend and 1996 Infiniti I30 were both faster.) My solution has been to manually downshift to 3rd if I need responsive acceleration to pass at highway speeds or to merge onto the interstate. That has worked fine for me.

It is noticeably faster with my manual downshift to 3rd. I know that if the automatic worked the way one expects that I shouldn't have to do this, but it works. And the owners manual indicates that you can go up to 90 mph in 3rd gear, so there is a wide range for extra power. (I haven't gone over 70 in third before upshifting to fourth and fifth.)
  • kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    vcheng - I've experienced the transmission shudder you talk about in older model LS and GS. Seems it might not be a problem specific to this new 5-speed transmission.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    has been described on older Lexus cars but that was due to use of fluids other than type T-4, I think.

The 5 speed on the ES300 is new for the new shape, and I think this is perhaps a different issue.

Anyway, I am now happy with my LS430. It does have a few rattles (surprise!) abd I had to get a complete new set of tires because of problem with the OEM set, but I think I could live with this car for the next few years.
  • djsassdjsass Posts: 5
    I have had my '03 ES for 2 weeks or so. Here are my thoughts. The transmission - is virtually flawless. I can sense a couple of milliseconds of hesitation when I let off the gas and punch it down at 40 MPH, but it is only due to the fact that the trans ECU is trying to decide whether 3rd or 4th is appropriate. I am pretty picky about such things (having almost always owned manual shift vehicles) and have no problem living with this very minor issue. All I need to do is not decelerate and punch it at 40 MPH... The ML stereo does not sound as good as the one in the demo I drove. Being a self proclaimed audiophile, at first I was disappointed. However, upon reflection, I have come to realise that the speakers require a 'burn in' period, (as do quality home theater speakers). The sound quality is improving slowly and I have no doubt it will be awesome within the next two weeks or so. There are 2 items to be repaired when the 1 month service is done. #1 - The photochromic feature is not working on the passenger door rear view mirror. #2 - The driver door speaker rumbles when under a heavy bass load, either it needs replacement or tightening, (I seriuosly doubt if it is loose, as the car is so well put together). This is my first Lexus, but I am sure that my dealer will take care of these issues. Aside from the above, I love the Nav system, the HID lights, and the awesome low noise level in the cabin. As much as I love music, I just enjoy driving with the tunes off, to enjoy the bank vault like quiet of the car. My car came with Michelin MXV Energy V-Rated summer tires, and our Colorado winter since I got my car 16 days ago has been non-existant. I believe the car will handle fine, until (and if) the loose snow is over 6" or so. I went to the dealer with my mind set on a GS 300, but the ES has come so far so quickly that it became a very tough decision. The 2 major factors that made me swing to the ES was front drive (I did not want to change tires and wheels depending on the weather), and the $4600 difference (between the loaded ES and the Nav and HID GS)... My mileage has been slightly disappointing - so far, an average of about 21 MPG, on regular grade gas, and 90 surface street driving.
  • Since I am going to Lease my next car for 48 months and 12k a year. I need to stay in the $400's Very low $400's Like $403 lol

I love my GS300 But I think I would be wrong in spending $479 (old price) or $500+ for a new lease. A $100 a month price difference would be $4800 + tax for 4 years.

Might not sound like much ,but with a wedding and possible baby in the next 2 years. It would be wrong t o spend that money on a car.

Of course I want a nice car and safe car. So my budget is $400 a month.

Can you tell me what other cars would fit my budget and be close to my GS300?

We got a loaner of a Es300 for a hour and we noticed the shutter everytime I punched down the gas.

I guess it comes down to what bothers you more about a car? The noise in cabin or a shutter or no tilt stearing wheel in I35.

I do love Lexus. I want to stay, but I can only afford $400 a month lease (48 month, 12k) So it comes down to what car gives me more. I am really leaning toward the I35

Any other ideas?
  • nfjnrnfjnr Posts: 25
    I too have summer tires on my 2003, but they are Toyo. When I checked Michelins website, they show Michelin EnergyMXV, and MichelinEnergyMXVPlus. They say both these tires are all season. What makes you think your tires are summer tires?
    Best of luck with your new car.

Nick
  • richm4richm4 Posts: 169
    Check out the new Accord EX-V6. Transmission is smooth and the engine is 240-HP powerful (unlike the ES300). Interior quality is very nice, although not quite as nice as a Lexus, but very nice indeed. And the best part.... A loaded one can be had for the mid-20's.
  • My girlfriend has the accord 2001

and the new accord though nice still has the same small cabin. Bottom line is I am not comfortable in the car