Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    What type of fuel is required for the 2006 ES330? I have heard that it requires premium but I have also read in CR and others(Edmunds?) that regular is recommended.
  • lirikallirikal Posts: 4
    I recently bought a 97 ES300 fully loaded with 94k miles on it. I was wondering what kind of fuel is recommended for this MY. Also, the check engine light came on yesterday and I do believe it is the because of the gas cap. I noticed it was a volvo gas cap when I tried to get some gas. It was also screwed on so tight that i had to use a wrench to get it off. I was just wondering if there's a way to turn the check engine light off.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    I would strongly urge you to get a Lexus replacement gas cap for your ES300. Although I am not familiar with the 97 ES300 as it refers to the gas cap/check engine light the newer ones will cause the check engine light to come on if there is trouble with the fuel system and/or gas cap. Hopefully a new gas cap will cure the check engine light and, if not, you should take it in to the Lexus dealer to diagnose the problem.
  • larry1larry1 Posts: 29
    After you get the new gas cap installed, make sure you tighten it until you hear a click or two. Then to reset the "check engine" light, pull the fuse in the engine compartment fuse box for the engine control unit, then put it back in. Look in your owners manual to see which is the ECU fuse.
    Thanks a lot you guys. I have already ordered the gas cap. Hopefully this is the problem and not something worse.
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    What is required and what is recommended can be different. I am sure the ES would run fine on regular if you can live with 5 less Hp and 1 to 2 mpg in fuel efficiency. The new SAE rule states that Horspower ratings for all cars must be based on Regular unleaded. Hence the ES lost a few ponies compare to the 05 model. But if you use premium instead of regular your horspower output would be higher than what SAE states.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I don't think the rule says it has to be tested on regular if the car is required by the manufacturer to always run on premium.
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    Again I don't think premium is absolutely required but it is recommended on most Japanese DOHC V6 engines to get the maximum performance. However, these engines can retard ignition timing if you use the lower grade gas. It won't hurt the car but you will get slightly less horsepower. What SAE has done is to make all automakers rate their engine based on regular unleaded. I bet this helps GM's antiquated pushrod V6's which runs just fine on regular and doesn't benefit anyway from using premium.
  • My first post here:

I'm in a market for a new car.
    Finally, I'm ready to step up to Lexus. Yeah!
    (Had 1999 Honda Accord and 2002 Isuzu Rodeo in the past)

I was told about the good deals on 2006 models, making rooms for 2007 models with bigger engine (already? It's not even September).

Anyway, I have narrowed it down to two RX330 vs. ES330. I don't need an SUV but like the fact it sits higher and can haul stuff when needed. Is RX worth the extra $$?

I'd really appreciate it if any ES330 owners tell me why you have chosen the ES330 over the RX330.

Thank you.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    My first SUV was a 1985 Jeep, then next a 1992 Jeep. While we had these we also had a "family" sedan, an 84 T-bird, then a 1992 LS400.

Then in ~2000 I bought an AWD RX300 and the 92 Jeep went off to a ranch in north central MT where its functionality was sorely needed, required, and where its still doing stellar duty today.

Then, without my really noticing, the LS400 started gathering dust just setting there in the garage day after day.

I traded the AWD 2000 RX300 in to upgrade to the 2001 AWD RX300. The 2001 had HID and VSC and as it turned out the Trac firmware equivalent of the RX330, "virtual" LSD's, front, center, and rear.

I have already decided that not later than this fall the 2001 will be traded in on a 2007 AWD RX400h. I'm delaying my purchase on the hope that by the fall the DFI V6 engine will have been fitted to the RX.

So before you buy that RX330 take a good hard long look at the RX400h. Or if $$$ are a real consideration the Highlander Hybrid.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,030
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Some cars require premium and have a sticker in the gas filler door and/or by the gas gauge that says something like "Premium Unleaded Only."
    There are cars like that and I'm sure the EPA does not make them do testing with regular.
    However, when it is "optional" I think it's fine for the EPA to require testing with the minimum octane the manufacturer says the car can safely run on unless they plan to publish multiple test results on multiple grades of fuel.
  • I have 1700 miles on a 2006 ES 330. The sunroof developed a rattle which I can "get rid of" only by closing sunroof visor. Anybody have a solution or similar issue?
  • What is the procedure for changing a front driver side turn signal bulb on a 98 ES 300? The owners manula says take it to the dealer. Thanks.
    Assuming your 1998 is the same as my 2000, and I think it is, open the hood. There is a black plastic "trim" piece that runs along the front of the engine compartment, over to each headlight. Peel that back over the headlight and you will see one phillips head screw. Remove that screw. Now press the palm of your hand on the side of the headlight/turn signal unit and push towards the engine a little to maintain a grip, and pust forward, The unit will slide forward, although it might take a little more effort than you might think. Then you can easily turn the plastic bulb holder on the back of the unit and remove the bulb. When you install a new bulb, don't touch the bulb with your bare fingers, so as to not get any residue on the bulb.

I had to remove the passenger side light unit on my ES300 to rub the contacts on concrete lightly, to eliminate the problem of my turn signal flashing at double normal speed. If your signal is flashing too fast, all you may need to do is what I did.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,030
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who purchased a Lexus, Toyota or Scion vehicle and what led you to purchase that vehicle. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, April 5, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Anyone else have a problem with changing the automatic door locking function? I own a '04 ES 330 that locks all doors shortly after putting the transmission into drive. I want to change the function so that all doors unlock when I put the trans into park. I followed the owners manual to re-set this function - followed the instructions carefully I think - yet they continue to lock.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    You will need to go to a dealer to access the Customised Body Electronics SysTem (C-BEST) to change the setting for the door locks. There are a lot of other functions that can be customised. Your dealer will have a full list. Look it over before you go so that if there are any other changes you want, they can be done at the same time.
  • atoewsatoews Posts: 637
    I was also unable to get the procedure to change the auto lock function to work.

I told my Lexus dealer about it and they said it was difficult even for them to change that auto-lock algorithm. According to the service people there, the feature is very finicky, and you have to do it just right to get it to work.

I decided that if it were that much trouble, I'd leave it the way it is.

If you really hate it, however, I think your Lexus dealer will change it for you, but you won't be able to experiment.
  • Thanks atoews - I believe you are right - I'll have to get the dealer to fix it.
  • 330owner330owner Posts: 6
    Thanks, that answers one of my questions too. I am going to check it out.
    Hi everyone.
    I drive a 97 ES300 (i know it's old but i love it) and after coming out of the carwash the other day, my trac off light came on and i can't seem to turn it off. According to the manual, if the light is flashing then there's a problem with the traction control but it isn't flashing. it just stays on.
    I've tried the trac control button below the steering wheel but the light still stays on.
    Can anyone offer any suggestions?
    Is the "check engine" light also on? Try this. Remove and then replace the gasoline cap until it clicks once or twice. Then to reset the idiot lights remove for a second, then reconnect the negative battery cable. On my 2000 ES300 a 12mm wrench fits. I have had my "check engine" and "trac off" lights come on in my former 1992 ES300, and my current 2000 ES300. The gas cap removal, replacement, and battery cable disconnection & reconnection has worked every time. Damn fancy cars :)
    Thanks larry. I'll try this when I'm done with work today. Hopefully this works.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    That solution was a temporary fix for my son's 1999. After a bit it came back on. The permanent fix was replacing the O2 sensor (approx. $200.00). No serious damage if it's not replaced, gas mileage may suffer.
  • alston28alston28 Posts: 97
    My wife just called me. She has a 2002 ES300 and is on a trip out of town. She went into a meeting. When she came out after about 2 hours all the windows were all the way down and the sunroof was open. I tried a Google search and found a thread about an RX where something like this happened. Could it be that, maybe by pressing the lock button on her key ring and holding it down, this somehow caused all the windows to lower and the sunroof to open? Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • karenkaren Posts: 3
    Hi,

Right now I have a Britax roundabout behind th epassenger seat and a Britax booster star riser comfy in the center. The Regent is 3 more inches than the roundabout. (21 inches wide)
    Has anyone installed this seat in any position and still were able to access the other 2 seatbelts?
    (The regent used to be called super elite or Husky)

Thank-you,
    karen
  • az2004az2004 Posts: 6
    Alston28,
    You may want to check your owner manual. With my '06 ES330, by pressing the unlock button on the key ring and holding it for 3 seconds, it will lower all four windows and open the sunroof at the same time. This feature helps those of us that live in areas with warm weather and lots of sunshine. If you don't like this feature, it can be turned off by the dealer. Good luck
  • uffdaoleuffdaole Posts: 37
    Seeking info please on replacing cabin filter on daughters 01 es300. 16 years retired from self employed auto repair business, but sure can handle this. Still do most minor repairs for family. TIA
  • billodbillod Posts: 31
    Has anyone noticed how often Lexus requires service on their vehicles. It's every 5000 miles and with the exception of the first 5k check-up which is free, each one thereafter is quite expensive. Service visits cost around $200 for the 10k & 20k service with the 15k and 30k service visits costing over $300. The more mileage the more costly the charge. If you have a car for 3 years and 45k miles you're in for some hefty "basic" maintenance costs. By-the-way, if you don't service your car by Lexus's stated intervals, they won't provide much help if you have a problem along the way. They'll say you didn't service your car properly. So, when you're figuring out the cost of ownership for a Lexus, don't forget to add the maintenance costs to your monthly car payments, insurance payments and of course gas payments.
This discussion has been closed.