Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• gekko2gekko2 Posts: 87
    tell the BMW salesman to go pound sand...

J.D. Power and Associates Reports:
    Lexus Continues to Set the Industry Benchmark
    In Long-Term Vehicle Dependability

Problems Reported at Four to Five Years of Ownership
    Drops 7 Percent for the Industry

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 21, 2002

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif. - Lexus ranks highest in long-term dependability for the eighth consecutive year, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2002 Vehicle Dependability Index (VDI) StudySM released today. All of the top five ranking nameplates in the study are Japanese brands, with Infiniti, Acura, Honda and Toyota following Lexus, respectively.

http://www.jdpa.com/studies_jdpower/pressrelease.asp?StudyID=692&- amp;CatID=1
  • I've got 3 tanks and 1000 miles under my belt (tires?).

First tank, the dealer filled (assumed full) tank, was 20.6 MPG with about 5% Highway (50+ MPH) and 95% Local.

Second tank was about 29.4 MPG with about 95% Highway driving.

Third tank was 22.9 MPG with 5% Highway.

Those MPG figures are calculated (miles/gallons) by me. The corresponding CAR determined average MPG was 20.6, 29.4 and 22.9 respectively. The only significant discrepancy is in the initial dealer filled tanked, so I suspect that full tank may have been just a little light. The relative accuracy of the CAR determined average has surprised me, I suspect the CAR determined average might over-estimate MPG.

Driving style has been very conservative for the first 1000 miles.
  • daytona01daytona01 Posts: 46
    Thanks... jimodonnel
    So hopefully my mpg will getting better.. after the break-in
  • rparisrparis Posts: 368
    What octane gas are the above mpgs with?
  • sopecreeksopecreek Posts: 203
    I just had 30K scheduled maintenance and paid $467 in total including tax. Best of all, it was my daughter's spring break so I dropped my car (2001 ES) on Friday and went down to Savannah, GA and Tybee island on a loaner (I told my service rep about the trip beforehand and he said no problem at all.) I returned the car Monday afternoon and overall drove 700 miles. Another nice surprise was the 10% discount I got on labor charge, which I found out only after noticing the total bill was lower than the original estimate. I thought that was great.
    The loaner was 2003 ES 300 (it always used to be RX 300 before, so a little bit of disappointment from my wife here).
    I just thought I'd share my experience.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    How did the 2003 ES300 compare to your ES300?
  • sopecreeksopecreek Posts: 203
    > How did the 2003 ES300 compare to your ES300?

Well, I was always curious about the 5 spd tranny issue that some were experiencing. Since I could not remember how to reproduce the hesitation, I probably was unable to even try it. But based on my 3 days of driving city and highway, I didn't notice any problem. In fact, I must say it shifted more smoothly than my 4 spd version.

When cornering, I felt more bolted to the seat although it's no beemer for sure.
    I definitely liked the seat better than my 2001 version. Much less back pain (I have really bad lower back.) Also, the seat seems to adjust higher than 2001 as noted by my 5'2" wife (that's why she likes RX300, visibility :)
    Overall, the 2003 ES seemed to be built tighter than 2001.

The noise coming from the engine was definitely less (much less!) but strangely wind noise was about the same. Front loading 6-cd changer was nice (how do you get the CDs out if the changer somehow jamms up?). Dual climate control was great since my wife complains cold all the time!
    I have owned both a 2000 and 2003 ES-I think the 2003 is far superior-very quiet and a great ride.Very smooth
  • kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    "how do you get the CDs out if the changer somehow jamms up?"

Assuming it's still under warranty, you get a replacement unit and your jammed unit gets sent to a repair center. Then, you get your CDs in the mail a few weeks later.

I haven't heard anyone complaining of a jammed in-dash CD changer on the new ES, but have heard plenty of complaints from IS300 owners (which use a different brand stereo). Lexus has been using Pioneer for their standard stereos since the beginning, so beats me why they switched to FujitsuTen for the IS300.
  • The octane for each of the first four tanks is below, It's far to early to reach any conclusion of octane effect on mileage.

Tank 1 - 87 octane - 5% Highway - 20.6 MPG
    Tank 2 - 87 octane - 95% Highway - 29.4 MPG
    Tank 3 - 93 octane - 5% Highway - 22.9 MPG
    Tank 4 - 93 octane - 5% Highway - ~23 MPG

The fourth tank is not yet completed. The estimate of about 23 MPG is based on the trip computer calculation. This weekend I'll fill up with 93 octane just before taking the same trip I took on Tank 2; that will start to form the basis of a representative comparison of the effect of the higher octane for this car. I'll then run a couple of local tanks on 87 octane.

According to the dealer the higher octane would increase hard acceleration performance; I think the manual says higher octane increases performance without any more explanation. I haven't yet detected an appreciable difference in the performance of the 2 octane levels; but I also haven't really pushed the car yet. Probably at about 2000 miles I'll revert to my previous driving habits of faster accelerations, at that time I might be able to detect performance differences between the two octane levels.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    It has a lot of ES inspiration in its front styling and interior design.
  • mang3mang3 Posts: 4
    I had problems with CDs jamming initially in my 2002 ES; I got them out by poking at it with another CD until it came out far enough to get my fingers around it to pull. I discovered that this only happened with home-made CD's that had the pre-made adhesive labels I placed on them. Since, I have reburned those CD's and hand written the labels directly on the CD with permanent marker with no further problems (been over a year). The adhesive labels must make the CD more "slippery" so it skids on the wheels that push it out of the player.
    Does it bother other ES owners that the trunk cannot be accessed via a key and only from inside the vehicle or with the keyless remote?
  • tmarttmart Posts: 998
    the key is the remote. With key in hand, much more convenient to push the button than insert key and turn.
    Have you ever use valet parking ??

Here is my guess about Lexus Design:
    I think it doesn't cost them a lot for a key hole to open the trunk from outside

Lexus design is actually cost much more than that
    simple key hole

#1- do you beware you have an extra key for valet parking (no remote button)
    #2- a button (inside the glove compactment) to lock trunk open button (on left knee of driver)
    #3- a key hole to lock access to trunk from the back seat

So you can put your stuff (or a body) in the trunk...
    - Lock key hole #3...
    - Press lock button #2...
    - Lock the glove compactment
    and give the key #1 for valet parking guy

The valet parking key can only open the car door and turn on engine..
    so they have no way to access to the trunk...

Probably, Lexus think... majority Lexus owners often use valet parking...

=> If not use valet parking..=> not rich enough to own a Lexus or not a "real" Lexus owner.. :-)
  • kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    Absence of a keyhole for the trunk has nothing to do with valet parking security. Earlier Lexus models with a keyhole for the trunk also had valet parking keys which didn't work on the trunk.

Besides, if you've seen the numerous number of videos showing valet parking abuses with customer cars, you'd end up wanting to pay extra to avoid the valet parking.

When the key has a built-in remote trunk release, the only concern with not having a keyhole for the trunk is if the remote battery happened to die. But then you just open the trunk through the inside button until you get the battery replaced.
    Have you had your window tint or have EZ-pass mounted on your windshield?

I want to put tint on my windows and stick the ez-pass tag into the front winshield...

Tint: Is there any interferer with radio antenna embedded in the rear glass ?

On my 03 ES (which has rain sensor wiper).. I see a lot of sensor on the windshield (behind the rear view mirror)..

EZ-pass mounted on windshield: is there any interfere with sensors (rain sensor for wiper, outside temp, light sensor for auto light) ??

Thanks,
    How do most people feel the rain sensing windshield wipers work or would most rather have the totally manual style?
  • atoewsatoews Posts: 637
    I like them so much better than the "intermittant" setting.

However, I do set them to the "off" position when it is not raining. If you don't, they can start running after a car wash.
    Although I do not have a lot of experience yet, it seems that the auto wipers do not seem to come on often enough. With the intermittnet wipers, I felt I had better control on drizzle type rain.