Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• richm4richm4 Posts: 169
    I can't believe it would take any car company as long as 27 months to develop a fix to such a common and significant problem.
  • texas83texas83 Posts: 107
    I've heard others say.... which I also believe.... that the problem is much more than a software issue. A friend of mine, who's in the industry, has a contact at a Louisiana dealership. He said that the chip has fixed some cars but not all. This is evidence that some cars are worse than others. I'm glad the Canadian was able to get his car fixed. But, I doubt it is a cure all.
  • rtorrecartorreca Posts: 74
    I had it installed on mine but the hesitation is still there but to a lesser degree. It feels somewhat different and is a little better but can't say it fixed the problem. Sort of fourth-rate transmission improved to third-rate.

Man, I miss my 99 honda accord v6!
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    I am not a mechanic and know little about how a car works, even though I have been driving for over twenty years. It seems that the tranny problem is spreading among even the most reliable Japanes name plates -- i.e. Lexus (ES 300), Acura (TL/S) and Infiniti (I35/Maxima). I am not sure whether the electronic throttle system (rather than the old mechanical wire system)that is being used in the newer cars has anything to with this problem. New inventions are supposed to be better, but I guess sometimes they are deployed prematurely before thorough testing is completed.
  • noeltynoelty Posts: 1
    The ES300 will be replaced by ES330 in 04, in september this year, more hp - 230-240 3.5 L, which should fix the transmission problem.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    What does the engine size have to do with the 5-speed transmission?
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    The new engine will be a 3.3L, not a 3.5L. It's the same engine now offered in the RX and Sienna (although horsepower may vary).
  • bshickbshick Posts: 3
    I know someone who is getting rid of their '97 es300 in the near future, and I mentioned that I might be willing to buy it if the price is right. It's a white and gray combo exterior, has all the options for that year, 67,000 miles, and it's in great condition inside and out except for a electric short that causes the parking brake light to stay on. Would it be worth buying this car?...and if so, what would be a good price for me to get this car at?
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Posts: 249
    If the brake light is on constantly, check the brake fluid. It could simply be low causing the light. It's more likely than a short in the parking brake. $13,000 - $15,000 is the price range for this car.
  • I have a '00 ES300.

Q1: It makes a ticking sound from frontright part of the interior. The sound is like as if some plastic part is lose. And I can only hear it whenever I drive over rought surface. Do any of you have similar problems?

Q2: my leather seat is beginning to crack. Is there any way to prevent it from getting worse?

Thanks in advance for the help!
  • neuroguyneuroguy Posts: 34
    A1: Take your car to the dealer and have them track down this rattle/noise. Lexus dealers, at least the good ones like mine (Hendrick Lexus in Charlotte, NC) are real pros at tracking down noises like this. Recently, I thought I had a rattle from the right rear door - I think there's a TSB about the insulation. But when I took it in for routine service and mentioned that noise, they tracked it down to the back of the front passenger seat and fixed it. My '02 ES300 is totally quiet again!

A2: Did you get a car care kit from your dealer when you bought you car? If so, use the leather cleaner then the leather conditioner. If not, then when you got in for the above, check out the parts dept. and see what they recommend for your leather seats in the way of cleaning and conditioning. See this site for proper leather seat care tips:
    http://www.properautocare.com/propleatcar.html
    Instead of using an applicator, apply the leather conditioner with your bare hands. That way you won't waste any into the applicator. Do this treatment at least once a year, twice is better. The Pinnacle products they mentioned are pretty good, but you might also want to check out a conditioner product called Connolly Hide Food. Learned of that stuff when I owned my POS Jaguar X-Type. ;-)

OT - speaking of Hendrick Lexus - also during my recent routine service visit I mentioned the increasing road noise coming from the Toyo Proxes J33 OEM tires. They replaced them with new Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires, under "customer goodwill". Wow, what a difference these new tires make! And talk about customer satisfaction!
    I even told them my windshield wipers were streaking and they replaced them at no charge, too! Can't say enough about my dealership!
  • lexloothalexlootha Posts: 12
    jkellerman, I have an 01 ES and I have a ticking noise from the right side of my dash.
    My dealer has been working hard to determine the source. We are reasonably certain it is coming from the A-pillar. However, after replacing the cover, I'm still hearing it. I have another appointment to try again. If your issue is resolved, be sure to share the details. It is driving me crazy, so I'm anxious to find a fix.
  • memoff1memoff1 Posts: 2
    I have a 97 es300 and the rear seatbeat does not lock into place. My mother's ls400 has the same problem. Is there an inexpensive fix to this problem other than replacing the seatbelt?
  • lexloothalexlootha Posts: 12
    It is unlikely that both cars have seat belt problems. I'm guessing it's user error. The seat belts have to be fully extended and allowed to retract for the locking mechanism to engage.
    Should you find that there is in fact a problem, the seat belts carry a lifetime warranty (I think) and shouldn't cost you anything to repair.
    Sounds like you're installing a car seat. Good luck.
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    I think to lock the car seat in place, most cars require that seat belt be pulled out all the way until a slight click sound is heard, then let it retract as much as possible to tighten the car seat.
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    Sorry lexlootha, I didn't even read your post all through before I posted the same thing. You are 100% correct.
  • hoorayhooray Posts: 15
    My 2002 now has an intermittant problem with the right rear window being stuck in the up position. When this happens, it will not go down using the remote, the drivers door switch or the right rear door switch. Today it was at Lexus and since it worked for them today (don't you just love intermittant problems!) they did not do anything. I am frustrated and concerned that it could also get stuck in the down position and ruin my interior if a thnderstom hit. Has anyone else had thjis problem and had it fixed by Lexus? Thanks!
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    All season tires are listed as a no cost option for the ES300 on the Lexus website. My Lexus dealer's internet sales person told me that all ES300's come through with the high performance tires. He states that I would need to special order a car to get the all season tire option. I really enjoy all season tires in the wintertime. I dread having to buy rims and snow tires. Why does Lexus do this? I thought the IS was the high performance car, not the ES?
  • richm4richm4 Posts: 169
    Putting "high performance" tires on the Buick, er, I mean ES300, is a joke.
  • ipeipe Posts: 2
    I recently bought a certified “01 ES 300, 4 sp, w/37k miles and most options and would like a little advice. In the 3 months and 3k miles I’ve had the car I’ve noticed the following; 1) When cold, tends to resist shifting from 2nd into 3rd gear. This occurs between 30-40 MPH and does not happen once warm. 2) Takes anywhere from one quick crank to two to three times to start when cold or warm. My wife’s ‘01 Accord starts easier. Maybe the fuel pump? 3) Periodic rattle in driver’s armrest/door panel on bumpy roads. 4) Alignment adjusted to limits and stills veers
    just a bit at times to the left. 5) “Click” sound coming from back a couple of seconds when first pulling away. Sounds like an auto door lock but it doesn’t lock the doors.

I returned the car one week after purchase about the alignment; the other issues I’ve noticed since then and will be discussing with dealer soon. Overall I really enjoy the car. It’s quiet, smooth and quick. Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions that you may have!