Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    I would stay away from any Audi at all costs. Yes they are nice, but I have yet to know of somebody who did not have extensive problems. Two people in my office have A6s they bought new and both have had major problems. One was driving 75 miles home at night after visiting a client and all the exterior and interior lights went off. Audi roadside assistance would not help because it wasn't considered an emergency since the car could be driven. So this co-worker drove for 1-1/2 hours on a highway with no lights. The car has also been in for several other electrical and mechanical glitches and the dealer does not provide loaners. Check out the A6 forum - some guy had his new car in the dealer for over three weeks and had thousands of dollars in repairs and they still couldn't fix his problems. My girlfriend had a VW Passat (same company as Audi) that was terrible also (among other things it died once without warning on a highway and we nearly got rear ended at 65 mph), and her father had an S8 for a total of three months. In addition, Audis are known for poor resale value.
  • The ES330 will have the same output as the camry V6 SE. pair with the 5 speed auto, it should be plenty of power for those who like to ride in a luxury car instead of drag racing every intersection of the street. For that, there is the WRX.

I think competition from TL will be a welcome force that make ES330 offer more standard equipments. With Camry V6 eventually going to be increased to the same level, and the fact that Toyota is keeping Avalon, ES330 will be up-marketed as well.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    The LS really needs to go upscale, but stay an affordable large car (compared to the competition). The GS can move up in performance and the ES needs to remain a midsize, but more luxurious. The Avalon needs to stay a step below, but be larger in size with the Camry having a little less content, but a smaller size than the Avalon.
  • kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    Have to agree with Lenscap concerning Audi reliablity. I've heard they're known for electrical problems. And 3 friends with Audis no older than 3 years old have all had such issues. They're the ones who convinced me to look elsewhere when shopping for a new car. Audi's are nice cars, as long as you don't have to deal with the problems.

According to an article in the newspaper I read not too long ago, VWs have a very poor reliablity rating. Mercedes has also dropped considerably, and their reliability rating wasn't so stellar to begin with.
  • cb1943cb1943 Posts: 9
    I've been waiting to hear if the es330 will have additional exterior color choices..I've heard from two different dealers that the Mystic Sea on the '02/'03 is being discontinued but they wouldn't know the new colors for another 6-8 weeks..they thought another gray would be added..I'm not into speed so the boost in horsepower isn't as important to me as different color choices..
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    Two dealers told me they expect the ES330 to be in by the end of this month (August), so perhaps the range of colors will be available then.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    My dealer told me that he saw the spec form of the 2004 ES 330 and that all colors will remain the same. I'm not 100% sure I believe him, but that's what he said.

I guess we'll see shortly.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    One estimate is that the increased power in the 330 will knock about a second (not a half second) off the 0-60 times, i.e., down to the low 7's. That would mean a quarter mile in the mid-15s with a final speed in the low 90s. That's certainly outruns the Audi A4 which with Quatro is heavy and slow and the BMW 325 which is underpowered, and puts it about even with the current TL.

As it stands now, the ES300 is underpowered compared to the competition (the Accord V6 has redefined the class below the ES300), and the current GS 300 is way underpowered for its price and luxury niche; I expect its replacement next March to remedy the situation.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    My wife drives an '01 ES300. We have loved the car. My daughter is shopping for an Accord, and I had a chance to drive one today.....an EX V6 sedan. It's amazing what Honda can do for an MSRP of $26k and buyable for $24k. If you do a side-by-side compare on this site, the specs for size and equipment are mighty close to an ES300. A comparable 03 Lexus is buyable for about $8k more. For that you get a more luxo interior, a better warranty, great customer service, a few more bells and whistles, and a car that impresses the neighbors. The Honda has 30 more HP, heated front seats, a more powerful stock stereo, a bit more rear leg room, and a 5spd automatic that seems to be working perfectly.
        A Lexus ES300 with the premium pkg. is a bargain in the low $30k's. A Honda Accord EXV6 is a down-right steal for under $24k. I was very surprised.
  • ES330 will have 225 HP +/- 5hp. Not enough to make big difference in 0-60. It is just a small step forward, kind of like a minor change to refresh the car. I agree the RL and the GS300 are both under-power - more so to the GS because it supposed to be a sport sedan. But if you look at the 525, or even 530, they are slow vehicles. When the vehicle gets to a certain price level, and with 80% of the buyer are above 60 years old. It might be a good idea to keep the power low, and price down. Accord appeal to a different group, which cares more about how fast it can go and less about how refine the vehicle feels.
    I think Lexus has the baby boomer in its hands, and it is doing everything just right. the volume of the RX330 is almost as high as highlander, with 100,000 yearly rate and up to around $40,000 each. That is a lot of $$$.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I disagree with you. 15 extra hp and 20 lb ft. of torque peaking 800 RPM lower will be noticeable through the seat of the pants, especially off the line, and especially if Toyota can refine the 5 speed to be a more responsive unit. Car and Driver put the ES300 to 60 in 8.3 seconds, and an RX330 AWD (weighing 500-600 lbs more) to 60 in 7.8 seconds (C/D actually also duplicated that number for a Sienna). Its reasonable to conclude the ES330 will come in under that mark, my guess would be in the 7.3 range, which is enough to notice.

~alpha
  • domettgdomettg Posts: 55
    I want to install a new battery in my '99 ES. Does anyone know if there is anything that needs to be reset or initialized after the new battery is installed? Are there any volitile things in memory that will be lost when the battery is disconnected (other than radio presets and clock)? Thanks for any help!!
    I had hoped the ES330 would have exterior paint color changes. Since both the 2004 IS and LS have added new colors is there still a chance that there may also be changes to the ES eventho it's not listed on the preliminary list ?
  • richm4richm4 Posts: 169
    I can't believe the 04 doean't have steering wheel radio controls. That and the transmission issue would cause me to cross this off my shopping list.
  • The list of changes does say "Preliminary". Perhaps steering wheel radio controls will be added to the final list. Otherwise I'll be looking toward the Acura TL and the Accord EX.
    If there isn't more bang for my buck with the new ES330 we also will go for an Acura TL. We drove the Accord EX and were very impressed with premium pkg. I love my '98 Lexus but feel they are letting me down now.
  • kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    The more you move down, the more bang for your buck you'll get. Nobody buys, say, a Mercedes SLK for "bang for your buck." That's what Accords and Camrys are for.

On a related note, I'd love to see steering wheel radio controls in the ES as well. But if that's what makes it or breaks it for you, I would think the ES wouldn't be your first choice to start with.
  • atoewsatoews Posts: 637
    Location of controls being a make-or-break issue; I just can't see it.
    Alright, "bang for my buck" was the wrong termimolgy but the sentiment remains the same. I love my Lexus, with it's quiet ride, etc. but not willing to buy a newer version with questionable transmission problems and not as many perks as the TL or even the Accord Ex.