Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• hylynerhylyner Posts: 216
    Wish I had, but y'know what? There's a Toyota dealer in our area but no Lexus dealer. I didn't want to have to drive many miles for any service requirements.The Av's just fine tho'--a Lexus at a lower price!
    Why, what changed..??
    I really cannot answer that question Wwest. I don't think anyone can--leastwise those of us discussing it. Given none of us (Scoti included) has experienced this phenomenon, then none of us is able to speak authoritatively about it one way or the other. We can only
    continue to speculate on If, How, What, Why, or to What Extent this phenomenon occurs. Frankly, I'd rather not discuss it further.
  • scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    Given none of us (Scoti included) has experienced this phenomenon, then none of us is able to speak authoritatively about it one way or the other.

Sorry, I know you said you do not want to discuss this issue further, so I do not expect a reply from you, but I just wanted to let you know for the record that I have never stated that I have not experienced this phenomenon. I kindly request that you stop making this statement, since you and others have repeated it in what I perceive as an attempt to discredit my participation in Edmunds forums. So to address this statement, I will tell you that indeed, I do not own a vehicle that has this problem. My Sequoia seems to go just fine when I press the "go-pedal". But I have experienced it as a passenger. I will continue to discuss this problem when I have something I would like to add (and as long as it is within the forum participation guidelines). :)
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    I notice that NWA is taking me through Minneapolis, against my better wishes/judgement, to and from Daytona, I'll check and see just how much time I will be there....
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    I thought the host specifically said not to discuss the hesitation issue on this forum. It looks like a handful of people intend to hijack this forum to spread their personal anti-Toyota/Lexus agenda.
    Apologies for the misunderstanding on my part. I've asked the Host to remove the erronious post which offended you.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Does anyone want to talk about the ES 330??
  • scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    Mr. Shiftright just opened a new forum:

"Toyota/Lexus transaxle shift delay"
  • Hello all,

I bought an ES330 yesterday (my first new car :) ) and wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good car cover. I will be parking in my driveway which is often home to many cats so am looking for something to protect against scratches as well as the elements. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
  • What options are there for re-keying the ES300 ?

We had a burglary and one remote and the valet keys were stolen from our house, but left the cars intact. We have one remote key and can drive the car. Lexus dealer quotes around $1000 to replace the door locks, ignition and glove box lock.
    So far the insurance co. (State Farm) is refusing to pay to have the car re-secured.

Are there less costly alternatives to re-gain security for the car ??
  • atoewsatoews Posts: 637
    For the 2002-2006 ES3XXs (it does not work the same for pre-2002 models), if you want to insure that the burgler is prohibited from physical entry to your vehicle, then I suspect you will have to pay what the Lexus dealer quoted, because you will need to have your physical locks on your passenger doors, trunk and glove box changed.

However, if you are willing to set things up such that the burgler cannot drive your car, but can still gain physical access to your car, then all you need to do is have your remaining keys and engine reprogrammed, a somewhat less expensive option. Reprogramming your keys insures:

1. That your engine will only recognize your new program, which of course the burgler will not have access to.

2. That your engine will not recognize the old program, which the burgler has access to because he owns the keys with the old programs.

Beware that if you do nothing, the burgler has the ability to both get into your car and to drive away with it!!

Were I you, I'd have my remaining keys reprogrammed immediately, regardless of the option I ultimately chose. If I planned to have the vehicles' physical locks changed, I'd make a deal with the dealer to allow me to reprogram the new keys free of charge once the new physical keys became available, so I would not be charged for two reprograms.
  • larry1larry1 Posts: 29
    I agree with the response that atoews gave.

Although I would like to add that you yourself, without paying anyone to do it, can prevent the stolen key from starting the car, so that only the master key that you still have will actually start the engine. Here are the instructions to delete all keys from starting the engine, except the key you still have:

http://www.locksmithcharley.com/toypedaldance.pdf

Note that after you do this, the stolen key will still open the trunk, car doors and glovebox.

Then you could order a full tilt $177 transponder master key from Lexus, or a $49 non-remote master key from Lexus, both at:

http://lexus-parts.com/partlist.asp?SubCategoryID=91&ModelID=90

Or a $30 or so generic master key from a locksmith. Lexus wants your VIN and proof of ownership to cut a key for you. Then using the instructions on the first link above, you can add the new master key to your 2003 ES300.

So now you will have two master keys that will start the car, while preventing the stolen key from starting the engine, but not preventing that stolen key from opening the doors, glovebox, and trunk. But it is far cheaper than $1,000.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Why would anyone buy a new ES330 today with the new ES350 around the corner unless they are in love the the styling?
    The 2007 ES350 will probably be priced at a higher MSRP and not discounted until production has a chance to ramp up to meet demand some months later. However, if you are buying the ES330 to "save money" compared to buying a 2007 ES350, why not just get a 2006 Avalon Limited instead and get a newer design with a better powertrain and more room than a 2006 ES330? You can always extend the warranty on the Avalon if you are concerned about losing the extra year of bumper to bumper coverage compared to a Lexus.
  • atoewsatoews Posts: 637
    larry1, please define "master key" in the context of 2002-2006 vehicles. I have never heard the term used in the dealer for my 2002 ES300, nor is the term "master key" in my user manual at all.
    Also, what do you mean by "cut a key"? As far as I know you can cut the physical part of the key, the part that opens the doors, and maybe even the glovebox, but a locksmith cannot provide the programming that will allow the key to start the engine. And, the locksmith will not be able to give you a program that automatically opens doors, moon roof, etc.

Here is the set of keys I received with my car when new. Which of these, 1, 2 or 3, is the "master key"?:

1. 2 keys that include keyless entry. There is a programmable chip in both of these keys, which are identical to one another. All keys and the engine are programmed at the same time so they all have the same program.

You cannot pass programming information from one of these keys to another, and you cannot pass programming information from a key to the engine or from the engine to the key.

Therefore, if you lose one of these keys, you have to have all your keys and your engine reprogrammed if you want them all to work. I suspect you need to take the keys to a Lexus dealer in order to make keys that your engine recognizes, because your engine also needs reprogramming.

2. A valet key, which also has programming in order for the engine to know that the valet key is matched with the engine. This key does not have keyless entry, i.e. cannot auto open the doors, trunk, moon roof etc.

You cannot open the glove box with the valet key, because the glove box has the button that allows the enabling of the trunk button that is near the driver. To keep the valet out of the trunk with the valet key, you must set the button in the glove box to lock the trunk and then lock the glove box with the keyless entry key. The valet will no longer be able to open the trunk with the valet key because the trunk activation feature is disabled by the button in the glove box and the valet cannot get into the glove box with the valet key.

3. A wallet "credit card" key, which also contains the program. There is no keyless entry on this credit card key, but it does open the glove box, allowing you to enable and disable the trunk opening button near the driver.
    The 2 keys with keyless entry are master keys. That means they will unluck the trunk and the glovebox lock, where the valet key will not. They are masters, because they operate everyhing. A standard key terminology.

"Cut a key" meant to cut the proper pattern in the metal part of the key.

You are correct, you can not pass programming info from one key to another. And you are correct, the key does not pass information to the engine.

What happens is you insert a transponder key (a key with a transponder [transmitter/responder] inside the head of the key-like the two masters and the valet) that has been programmed to your your car in the ignition cylinder. There is a ring around the ignition key slot that sends a signal from the car's Engine Control Module, aka Engine Control Unit, aka ECM, aka ECU, to the key. This signal does not come from the actual engine. If the key receives that signal and transmits the proper signal back through the ring around the ignition key cylinder to the ECU, then the ECU will allow the engine to start.

Yes, the locksmith does not give you a program. The car already contains the ability to program a new master key. But Lexus wants to keep it a secret, so they can gouge you. The locksmith who posted the page with the info, let the secret out:)

If you read the website link that I gave you, you will see how to delete the stolen keyless entry, also called a remote (control) master, so that the stolen key will no longer start the engine.

I watched all of this done myself on my 2000 ES 300 a few months ago right in front of me at the locksmith's shop in Phoenix. The same guy, Charley, who is the author of the website link I posted in my last post.

I don't know how to program a key so that the remote buttons will operate the sunroof, etc. In order to save a thousand dollars or so, as you stated in your post, aren't you willing to live without that on your spare key? Or call the locksmith on the website and ask him if he knows how to do it.

I haven't seen your wallet key, but I am almost 100% certain that it will not start the engine. That key is useful only if you happen to have that key available when you have locked your other key inside the car.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    We had an 02 (or was it 01. . . the old body) ES300. It was a great car and had one of the best stock stereos I've experienced. Seems the salesman told me they didn't bother ordering the upgrade system because the stock one was a 190w Alpine that sounded just as good. When my wife moved to an RX330 in '04 I gave her new sound system points for trying but without a trunk it just didn't have the bass.
    Last month we inherited her mom's 06 ES330 (800 miles), and are considering keeping it sinced it only had 800 miles and the RX lease is almost up. I drove it today looking forward to the great sound we got in the old EX. Much as I like the new sedan, that stock stereo sounds like it's made for an easy-listening grandma. Turn it up much and it turns to mush even with that nice sub in the middle behind the back seat. It doesn't sound like it has any power. What happened? My daughter's $22k Honda sounds like a concert hall by contrast.
  • Larry, how sure are you that the "re-key" instructions that you describe work for the 2002-2006 ES300/330 ?

You said that you watched while it was performed on your 2000 ES model, which could have different electronics than the current model.
  • I just bought a new ES330, even with the new model around the corner. The dealer was willing to discount the car $3K. I was trading in a 2001 MB C-Class, which we'd had a few problems with, and wanted the Lexus reliability now. Yeah, I know...having the newest ES would be nice, but I wasn't waiting for the next problem with the Benz to arrive.
    You can call Locksmith Charley at 1-800-313-KEYS (5397) 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Arizona time Monday-Friday and ask him. His website is www.locksmithcharley.com That website doesn't specify any differences for newer models, but you can read it yourself, or better yet, call him. And it isn't re-keying. It is reprogramming the key.