Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• atoewsatoews Posts: 637
    toydriver,

Before I'd go with locksmith Charley, I'd try your local Lexus dealer again. In my experience, the predominant cost of getting a new key is in procuring the replacement key. My Lexus dealer quotes $350 to replace a "master" key plus about $60 for reprogramming your new key plus all your other keys. (Note that larry1's second website advertises replacement keys for $177, less expensive than the $350 quoted by my dealer.)

If you buy a new key from the dealer, you may be able to negotiate the programming for free. I have lost a couple of "master" keys, and have not had to pay for reprogramming yet. The first time, the dealer allowed the price of the replacement key to cover the reprogramming too.

When you get a quote from your Lexus dealer, be sure to differentiate the cost of a replacement key separately from the cost of the programming. If you want to buy a key from the website, inform your dealer because that may impact what the dealer charges you for programming.

If your dealer charges $1000 just to reprogram your key, then you are indeed getting gouged and another Lexus dealer is likely to give you a better deal. Of course, go to locksmith Charley if all else fails, but I think doing it through a Lexus dealer is less risky.

I have a 2002 ES300.
    By the way, the wallet key does start the engine. It is there for in case you lose your set of keys while away from your extra keys, so you can access your car before you can replace your keys.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    What kind of mpg are you getting on your ES300?
    Please see msg #1269 under "Prices Paid and Buying Experience", Dec 22, 2005, where I answered your question previously. Below is my reply to your question.

================================
    It is hard to really state the gas mileage I get. It varies from about 16-19 mpg in town and 26-28 mpg on the freeway.

Here is what I have observed however:

1. One pays a very high mpg price for accelerating.
    2. One pays a very high mpg price for driving uphill. If one takes a two-way trip that is hilly, the lower mpg for the downhill part will not compensate for the higher mpg. of the uphill part. (A two-way trip theorectically equalizes the uphill/downhill portions there and back)
    3. One pays a very high mpg price for stopping at fast food prices, which requires lots of acceleration/ stop and go.

As such it is really hard to tell whether the basic vehicle is providing good or bad gas mileage.

The only way that two drivers can get good comparison numbers is if they both live in a flat region, and they both have the same amount of stop and go when they drive in town.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Thanks atoews. I am getting older and my memory is not what it once was.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    I've been driving this car a few days. Despite my issue with the less than stellar sound system, this darn car drives like a dream. Smooth as "butta" as they say and amazingly quiet.
  • I purchased a 2006 ES330 in January. I have noticed an engine sound that is reminiscent of valve pinging. The service writer manager said it was made by the fuel injectors and was really pronounced in GS 300s [I’m not sure if that made me feel any better about my problem] In addition, I have noticed a “clunk” sound when I turn a cold engine on. Does anyone have insight on these experiences?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Valve (lifters) clack, engines ping.
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    Std stereo has only what, 84 watts? That's why they have ML, which will beat the one in your old ES hands (or ears)down. But I know most would expect a better std stereo, esp. when you can't get ML option w/o paying for Nav also.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I drove one and was disappointed that it wasn't quieter. I could clearly hear some road noise even driving on city streets at low speeds (under 40MPH).
    The quietness was so overhyped that I had very high expectations that failed to be met.
    There are now some less expensive cars that have similar or lower levels of interior noise.
  • Road noise more often has to with the type of tires that are put on the cars. The wider sportier tires generally have more road noises than the narrower ones. Sometimes changing the tires can eliminate that problem.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    It was a brand new ES330 with factory stock tires.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Factory stock tires are most often all-season and will typically be much noisier than their summer only counterparts.

The Bridgestone Turanza series is a good example. Compared to the summer version the all-season version of this tire is LOUD!
  • My lexsus ES 300 cranks very slow and won't start I also smell a funny odor while trying to start it. It a ES 300 V6 3000 with over 160000 miles
  • agree completely. if you keep waiting "just a few more months" you'll never take the leap, reading these forums forever...and what you're really waiting for is not the newest car but rather your next problem with you current one! while you're reading others are driving great cars. there's no perfect time, dealer, price or even car. it ends up being more of a problem of commitment than one of pure indecision.
  • curt2005curt2005 Posts: 70
    Drove one yesterday, was also very disappointed in the irritating noise level from the tires. When I drove my old Olds home, I realized that my car had enough engine and wind noise to mask any tire noise.
  • curt2005curt2005 Posts: 70
    When I drove a 2006 ES yesterday, I forgot to fully check the sunvisors. They don't have a sliding panel when you turn them to cover the side window. When I commented, the sales rep didn't say anything.

Do they, perhaps, slide on the rod? I didn't think to try that.

Thanks.
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Posts: 168
    Greetings:

I have a 2002 ES300 and the sun visors do have the ability to slide back on the rod up to 5" when used. If you have the vanity light set to automatically come on when you lower the visor, the light will go out as you extend the visor along the rod. They provide plenty of coverage to block out any sun/bright light that might distract you. I would assume that the 2006 model has the same capability.

Hope this helps.

M.J. McCloskey
  • chrisarochrisaro Posts: 1
    I would like to know how to change the check engine light bulb on my 96 es 300.
  • Thanks for the tip ! It does adjust on my 06 ES330 and
    we did not know since there was no slide panel as
    on our previous Honda.