Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• gbpk2000gbpk2000 Posts: 2
    I've had my first ES 300 now for about 6 months and absolutely love it. All except for the cup holders which are so bad it is absurd for a Lexus.

Does anyone know of any accessories available that can be used to make them useable. Thanks
  • lievliev Posts: 93
    couldn't agree with you more. i hate the cup holders in the es300. it's should be made deeper.
  • nickm1nickm1 Posts: 2
    I would like to know where and whom is selling a 2001 es300 coach edition for under 30K because that is about $1300 under invoice as posted in 816. Thanks
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    Log on to carsdirect.com. Click on Lexus, click on ES300, zip code 91311 (LosAngeles area). Next screen, click on Coach Edition, click on options. $29996 includes freight.
  • cglovercglover Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 ES 300. The light needles on the speedometer and gas gauge have gone off. In addition, the light need on the RPM gauge is blinking. I've been told that the whole odometer panel would need to be replaced(part cost $500 not including labor). Is there a way to fix the existing odometer panel or is there a company that can refurbish this part?
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    If you don't want to pay the price for a new gauge panel, then you can probably find a used one from a auto recylcing yard.
  • skyleaderskyleader Posts: 5
    Can't decide between the Aura TL-S or the Lexus ES300? Save $5,000 plus and go with the Acura. Here's why...
    The Acura has a more powerful and reliable engine. The Acura has better engine sound. The Acura handles much better. Toyota uses cheaper leather on their ES300, which is not as durable as the leather used in Acuras. The Acura owner has a choice of more dealers nationwide to service the vehicle. And, finally, the Acura TL-S can wax the Lexus in both speed, acceleration, and handling.
  • jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    Drove an Acura TL in early '99 while shopping for a car for my wife. Drive train was 1st rate, handling was better than average (for a FWD Japanese car, in any case) but interior trim was distinctly shoddy. I'm a longtime Honda loyalist & wanted to like the TL, but couldn't get past the poor trim quality. My wife agreed & decided to buy the ES300. 2+ years & nearly 30,000 miles later, the Lexus has been a faultless performer. Bland, to be sure, but smooth, quiet, comfortable & absolutely trouble-free.

I recently checked out an '02 TL-S. Trim quality has improved enormously - it's nearly as good as my wife's '99 ES in this respect - & the TL-S is certainly a more entertaining car to drive. But there's no reason to believe that the Acura's leather upholstery is more durable & even less reason to think that the Acura's engine is more reliable.

It's my turn to pick out a car. If I wanted another FWD Japanese car with an automatic transmission, I'd probably pick the TL-S. It's a good car & an outstanding value. But it's also just another FWD Japanese automatic, & I just can't get excited about those anymore.

After I drove the Acura, I crossed the street & drove a BMW. God willing & the creek don't rise, I'll take delivery of a 5-speed manual (3 pedals on the floor, boys & girls) 330i in mid-July. It ain't Japanese, it ain't FWD & it sure ain't automatic. And I couldn't be more excited.
  • ecafecaf Posts: 44
    Glad you're happy with your TL, Skyleader. But, to each his/her own... Yes, the TL is much roomier. Yes, the TL is more powerful. And yes, the TL has the ES absolutely beat in the value department. However, your claims of the TL's superior reliability are largely unsubstantiated (read: peep Consumers Union* and JD Power reports, my friend). Further, my recent test drives of both the TL and CL reveal the following...

1) more cabin noise and a coarser engine note (probably the reason why you think the TL's engine has better sound is because the ES' V6 is smoother and quieter).
    2) squeaks and rattles in the dash (TL) and sunroof (CL), leading me to believe that the folks in Ohio aren't quite up to snuff when it comes to building luxury cars.
    3) outrageously fake wood trim (particularly the "ebony" trim in the CL-S) that's better suited to a $19K Buick, not a luxo Honda. Heck, it wouldn't even look good in a Civic!
    4) a sound system that's OK, but doesn't sound nearly as "live".
    5) leather not as supple as in the ES (I have no clue as to which is more durable, though).
    6) added weight and length that make those (admittedly grippier) Acuras less nimble and a bit more difficult to park.
    7) more dealers, but customer service is much less consistent than Lexus (again, read the JD Power customer satisfaction reports).
    8) much less brand name prestige, curb appeal. That's right, much as even I hate to admitt, that snob factor! Bling bling!

Oh, that's where Toyota put my extra five grand! C'mon, folks. Ya get what ya pay for!

*CU's used car guide show that the Acura and Lexus are both exceptional in reliability. But if you want to be picky, the Lexus scores higher with its electrical system and body/trim assembly.
  • jasonkureejiijasonkureejii Posts: 210
    I've yet to REALLY look deep into an ES300 (until this Saturday) with a fine-tooth comb, but the ES300 is still on my list. I sat in both at the Dallas Auto Show and was trying to remember the appeal of both. I can only READ about reliablity...stats and reviews from every Tom, Dick and Harry in the Auto Industry. Both seem to have the reliability, as you would expect from two industries as Toyota and Honda. Hey, if Lexus has any edge, it can't be my that much! If I can recall, the ES300's interior did seem a bit more luxurious...probably moreso because of the fake wood that the Acura seems to think consumer's enjoy (I mean, what consumer surveys were they reading to come up with that?). Also, the sound system in the Acura is not as great as I thought it would be. The back headroom in the TL is very short (I had only another 1-2 inches, and I'm 5'8") and the back headcushions are too low.

Otherwise, the interior of the TL was very nice...and simple. The leather in the perforated seats seemed of good quality, not too soft (hell, it IS supposed to be a sports sedan, right?) and very durable. If you're really picky about the leather/leatherette combo, I didn't find it too bad at all. I mean, sure I wouldn't had minded an option for more, but it's not like the seats are cheap either. The fit and finish for the TL is definitely above par, stitching, alignments, symmetry, etc.

If anything, the appeal of the TL however came in it's more sportier and aggressive exterior (I love the new grill), including the front and back end, the rims, and the overall shape. No, it doesn't have the appeal of some BMWs or Benzs, but I like the look for a mid-size sedan. The test drive was, well, incredible for a FWD...more power than I really need here in the confines of Dallas traffic. A 3-series BMW would be more fun to drive and handle, but that's another topic (I love manuals, too!).

Overall, I see the ES300 as the smart, conservative, luxuriously fit mid-size (how the hell is this rated as a compact?) cruiser, the "I'm going for a nice leaisurely ride to the golf course, and want to feel like I'm still at home in my best leather recliner". It has just enough class and sophistication with the reviews and ratings to back it up. The TL-S I see as the raw, aggressive, nearly-luxuriously fit mid-size pace-setter, the "I'm as close to Mario Andretti as I can be with a FWD in the city streets but I want some comfort along with it". I agree that Lexus definitely has an edge on Dealership service, however, I'd like to stay far enough away from them as long as I have to also, except for the required scheduled maintenance. Sure, I'd like to be treated well while I'm waiting, but it's not high on my priority. We'll see how the new ES300 stacks up (although I won't be able to wait that long)...Acura has put up ALOT of sales, and may not have quite the prestige of Lexus, but I think Acura is leaning in the right direction...they just need to listen to their customers more...damn, get rid of the fake wood! I'll definitely see if the current ES300's prestige, interior, and customer service outway the extra 4 grand and whether I want a cruiser or a pace-setter...
  • carbargaincarbargain Posts: 5
    Per messages 844 and 845, carsdirect.com has the ES300 Coach for $29,996. After shopping around several dealers, we were able to find one in Southern California who would match this price. You might try and locate a dealer near you owned by Penske since they also own part of carsdirect.com and are more likely to match the price. Good luck.
    Since not all dealers will match the price, I was was just wondering why you bothered shopping around at several dealers instead of just taking the car from Carsdirect.com?
  • ecafecaf Posts: 44
    Funny, Jason, much as I love my ES, I thought that the Acura had much better head room (I'm 'bout as tall as you) and leg room. The current ES is more, ah, cozy. I don't find that the '02 TL is necessarily more aggressive in its styling at all; both cars are commonly slammed for their relative lack of personality. Plus, there's too much shiny chrome on the TL (on the side trim, even the door handles!).That's cool with most of us ES and TL owners; we like nice stealthy cars. If you want personality, check out that new Benz C; it's got headlamps that are shaped like a sideways Mr. Peanut(TM)! Do I hear a lawsuit from Planter's Nuts to DaimlerChryster?
  • glensterglenster Posts: 6
    He is the Fleet Manager at a very large Lexus dealership in California!
  • jasonkureejiijasonkureejii Posts: 210
    I took a look at the C-series Benzs...actually, I don't mind the headlights...still not my stiyle however. Is anyone here from the Dallas/Fort Worth Area, and what kind of deals are being struck for a 2001 ES300? I never really noticed how the ES300 TMV value has dropped under their invoice...I guess becuase of the onset of the 2002 models??? Does Lexus deal much...never dealt with them before....going back to the Acura dealership tomorrow to take another look at the TL....also an ES300 and a BMW325i...
  • domettgdomettg Posts: 55
    Does anyone know an actual date when there might be a picture and more details available on the 2002 ES? Will the car rags have a preview before Lexus formally announces anything?
  • jmaynard5jmaynard5 Posts: 1
    Is it necessary to routinely replace the timing belt for an ES300 as your mileage piles up? I am at about 90K miles and wondering if it should be done. My understanding is that it is not necessary for some makes of cars. Is the ES300 one of them? Does anyone recommend any other major maintenance as you approach 100K miles?
    I'm not sure if it has a belt or chain, but if it has a belt, it will definately be listed in the owners manual when it should be changed.

Most cars need the timing belt changed somewhere between 90,000 and 120,000 miles.
  • rollomanrolloman Posts: 64
    Hey JMaynard,

I changed the timing belt on my 96 ES at 85K miles. It could probably make it much longer but why take the chance.

When the timing belt snaps, you stop...

Go to a good mechanic and save big $$$ over Lexus techs.
  • 3pointstar3pointstar Posts: 45
    I was surfing around and I can't say for sure, but I think this could be the new 2002 ES300. It looks like a baby LS430.

http://www.mag-x.com/scoop/previs0104/index.html

• lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    The Previs is NOT the new ES. If you look at the dimensions they are smaller than the dimensions for the Windom (ES) on the Toyota/Japan web site.

My friend who owns a Lexus dealer has said the new ES will definitely be larger than the current car.

By the way, the meeting for owners of lexus Elite dealers just wrapped up in Phoenix yesterday (it was Sunday-Thursday). I'll try and find out from my friend (who's dealer is an Elite) if any info on the new ES was revealed.
  • afinegoldafinegold Posts: 57
    This may or may not be valid info on the elusive 2002 ES300, but it's worth a quick look.

www.carsfast.net/Lexus/ES.html

Al--
  • afinegoldafinegold Posts: 57
    And here's another link using the same opening quote of "ANY OTHER CAR WOULD BE DRIVING DECAF." So is this finally some valid news about the new ES300? Doesn't seem any different from the current ones, though. The current ES 300s have separately adjustable front heated seats, 4 speed transmissions, 210 HP, get 19-26 EPA mileage, etc. So is this any different from the 2000 and 2001 models??? Or is this just a sneaky, misleading promotional way to sell the old 2000s and 2001s by implying that the 2002s won't be any different?

http://www.eautoquotz.com/Lexus/ES-300.htm

Al--

• deuce56deuce56 Posts: 46
    I just finished polishing m wife's car (Pearl White Lexus ES300) and noticed tiny (smaller than a pinhead) dots of rust in the paint. I used a light polishing compund (Meguiar's #1) and a clay bar but neither removed the spots. I have a paint sealant w/warranty from the dealer. Is this something that needs to be looked at NOW? Has anyone else seen anything like this?
  • jji7363jji7363 Posts: 33
    These descriptions seem inconsistent with a redesign. They look more like tweaks, so it's hard to believe. The new I35 is a tweak too, though.

Someone had posted a while back that the 2002 ES would have a 5 speed auto, like the IS300. This is becoming a standard feature in the luxury class. I'm looking forward to the post-dealer meeting info!
  • ucfgrad1ucfgrad1 Posts: 1
    I found this site months back while doing some investigating. http://www.geocities.com/busybeetoys/scoop/edn22.htm
  • alexs95alexs95 Posts: 12
    I'm confused by the 2000 nexus maintenance requirements. The book says you should have the scheduled maintenance at "15,000 miles or 12 months". Does that mean which ever comes first? My dealer noted to come back at 15,000 miles. He didn't note anything about 12 months. I would appreciate anyone comments.
  • jamrock4jamrock4 Posts: 53
    Ucfgrad1 I looked at the 2002 ES300 at the geocities web site and I cringed a bit. Those cat eyes are a bit much and I sincerely hope that is not the final cut. Makes me want to run out and secure a 2001 model before it is too late. Does anyone have an opinion on this "possible" 2002 ES300 design?
  • jamrock4jamrock4 Posts: 53
    The same geocities web site http://www.geocities.com/busybeetoys/scoop/edn22.htm points to the Toyota Mark II as a hint of what the next Camry will look like. If that is truly the case, the Camry would have a more appealing design than the "possible (I hope not)" ES300 replacement.
    http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=58489&messageid=990480130

This may give you a vague idea of what the new ES300 might look like inside.