Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• tclemonstclemons Posts: 31
    Interesting statistics regarding 0-60 times. I guess I am missing the point of some of this discussion, but these are "luxury/near luxury" cars, not race cars. I think we can all agree that they are relatively quick cars. I have a 98 ES300 and I would like to have 5-speed and my wife would like to have the navigation system (don't know why since I drive - she "directs"). My highway mileage is about 27-28 mpg @ 70+ with a/I on. City mileage is about 17-18. My wife's commute is short trip of 5-6 miles.
  • lievliev Posts: 93
    Unless you need to travel out of town constantly, I don't see the reason there is a use of the navigation system. I don't know if any body realize that you have to pay 2K up front + monthly fee (~$40) for something that you don't really need. What's the chance of driving in unfamiliar streets around your town? One time I tried to use the internet maps/directions to get directions to a place I already know how to get there (just trying to test it out). The directions I receivedt would have taken twice as long (locals with lots of traffic lights) and twice as far (indirect, a lot of turns) to get where I wanted to go as if I go my own way. Chances are that's what you're gonna get with the navigation system. I think a map is much cheaper and makes more sense.
  • I don't believe the Vavigation has monthly fees though. I think you might have to update your cds/dvds and thats about it. I could be wrong though.

hunter001,
    Interesting, I remember before my wife and I bought our 99 ES300 I looked at the numbers and it showed the TL was like 8.5 seconds or so. But anyways, we don't punch the accelerator when it turns green so the ES300 provides plenty of power for us.
  • hunter001hunter001 Posts: 851
    There is NO MONTHLY FEE for the Navigation system. Once you pay for it while purchasing the car, there is no further payment. Maybe once in 2-3 years, you may have to purchase an update (150 dollars) - if a lot of roads/restaurants etc have changed their names to something else. There is no mandatory requirement to purchase the updates. Otherwise there is no charge whatsoever, after the purchase.

After driving a car equipped with the Navigation system, there is no way that I am going to purchase a car that does not have this option.

Also, when you are presented with "directions" from the Navigation system, you can have options of "Minimise Toll roads", "Direct Route", "Easy Route", "Minimise Freeways" "Fastest Route" etc. The route varies with the option chosen. You can even punch a destination (say a Russian restaurant), by putting in the telephone number (the Nav will pull out the address and such) and the Nav will take you there. Also, if you are stuck on the road (traffic jam??), you can punch the "Detour" button and the Navigation will re-route you by taking a different route. Once you use these systems, you will not go back to the days before the System...

When driving in thick foggy conditions, I have had trouble in finding roads on routes that I take every day (without the NAV). With the NAV, there is no way that the "Voice from the sky" will allow me to miss my way....

Later...AH
  • rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    I can't imagine why my fellow ES owners would be any more interested in accelleration figures than I am. I'm WAY older than 18, and the ES provides more than sufficient power to meet my daily needs, plus returning 29-30 MPG on the highway at 75 MPH. Maybe Edmunds has a drag racing topic out there some where.

I also agree with Liev that a good map makes more sense to me than a nav system. If you belong to AAA, all the maps you want are FREE!
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    I don't drive out of town that much so I don't NEED a navigation system, but they are so cool if you have actually used one.
    I don't NEED an ES300 or TL at all since an XLEV6 or EXV6 will do the job, but I would prefer the extra luxury in my next car.
    I don't need a Nakamichi stereo system because the standard Lexus stereo is very adequate, but the Nakamichi system is so nice etc..
    I would guess that a DVD navigation system likely would be available on the new ES300 since the TL and the I30 and about every other Lexus model except the IS300 has it available.
    I think it might be possible that Lexus could elect to not make it available for some reason though.
    That would be a turn off.
    In Germany and Japan, Volkswagens and Toyotas have navigation systems available on some mainstream non-luxury models.
    It would disappointing if the 2002 ES300 does not have it at least available as an option.
  • I agree that we ES owners did not buy the car for it's 0-60 acceleration figures. If that was the case a Ford Mustang GT would easily give us that ability while costing thousands less.

liev,
    You're right. If you drive around town and know where you are going then the Navigation system is kinda useless. It would be great to have it though but definitely not a necessity. My brother took me in his Mercedes S500 and we tried out the navigation system. He asked for the "shortest route" and it took him thru the backstreets. At one point it took us thru a very bad road filled with cracks and potholes and lots of bumps. How was the system to know if the roads are bad. Only we humans know that. So if you drive around town and know what roads to take and when to take them to avoid traffic, thats the best way to go. Think of it as you taking the same way to work everyday, you listen to radio and see how traffic conditions is like and if it's bad you take alternate route. Navigation system can't tell what roads are backed up. But if you are lost somewhere, it is definitely a plus to have especially when you pull into a gas station asking for directions and the attendant says "sorry sir we don't sell diesel". I had that happened to me once.
    I thought that you have to subscribe the service every month. That's not true then huh? I wonder if I put one in my ES 300 where would be a good location for it.
  • ved3ved3 Posts: 43
    you guys pretty much slice and dice the pros
    and cons of the nav system. great job!!
    It would be nice to have one just in case we
    get lost, like on a long trip, in a strange town.
    but on everyday commute, it's not necessary.
    anybody know how much it would cost to install
    it in the ES? I guess lexus would tell us if
    they make one for the ES, present and future.

I think it would be disappointing not to see it
    as an option on the 2002 ES since its competitions
    do have the nav.
  • ugmd20ugmd20 Posts: 11
    When I push my trunk release on my 2001, the trunk releases but doesn't actually pop all the way open like I've seen on different cars (non-Lexus). Is this right? It's not a big deal, I just want to make sure that nothing's wrong with my car.
  • skeddeskedde Posts: 1
    I Just Purchased A 2001 ES300, I'm Looking for A Good Wax To Use, Does Anybody Have Any Suggestions?
  • rebelskrebelsk Posts: 65
    I cant wait to see the new model. Has anyone found any pictures or other information recenly on the internet. I have not seen anything yet. Thanks
  • ugmd20ugmd20 Posts: 11
    skedde,

I like to use Meguiar's cleaner/wax (they also make a more involved three step process). It's pretty easy to find. You can find it at any automotive parts store as well as stores such as Target and Wal Mart. I've seen some previous posts recommending a product called Zaino.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    I remember test driving a new 1998 ES300 3 years ago. It is the same bodystyle as the current 2001 model.
    I remember not being super impressed about the quietness. I had very high expectations based on all the hype on how quiet Lexus models are supposed to be. I remember hearing tire noise on streets that were not glass-smooth and it was easy to hear the engine except at idle.
    It really did not appear to be noticeably more quiet than some cheaper V6 Japanese sedans. The rental Lincoln I was driving was quieter.
    The ES300 was still relatively quiet, but it was not so quiet that you go "Wow, this is so amazing." That what was I was expecting from a Lexus.
    Is the 2001 any quieter than the 1998s?
  • vernlewvernlew Posts: 87
    Ed,

Just FYI, you can check out the Maintenance & Repair Forums, "Store bought Waxes" and also "Zaino car care" for some good info on natural carnauba waxes as well as newer polymer polishes.

I, myself am currently using P21S Paintwork Enhancer (mild cleaner) + One Grand Blitz Carnauba Wax...great combo. You only need to use the cleanser product once or twice yearly (contains abrasives). Depending on where you live and where you park your car, you may have to wax every 3 to 12 months to protect the paint. This is a good combo for a new car, such as yours.

Enjoy!

Vern
  • afinegoldafinegold Posts: 57
    My 2000 ES300 does the same thing as yours--the trunk unlatches but only goes up about an inch or so. My guess is that it's designed that way as a means of not drawing attention to the fact that it has opened. I agree that it would be handier at times (eg., when both hands are full of grocery bags or luggage) to have the trunk open a couple of feet or more so that it would be easier to put stuff in without having to adjust the load in your arms, but I guess Lexus decided on the unlatching route vs. the pop-wide-open route.
  • domettgdomettg Posts: 55
    Be careful if you open the trunk with the trunk release and it is very windy out. If the wind is blowing just the right way, it gets under the trunk lid and lifts the lid open hard, banging it against the stops which is probably not good for the hinges. Lexus was probably trying to reduce the possibility of this happening by just unlatching it versus opening it wide.
  • ved3ved3 Posts: 43
    Hi Guys,
    I spoke to a sales guy at a lexus dealer while
    test driving the IS300 today. He said the latest
    news he heard about the new ES design is that it
    will probably be a smaller version of the LS430
    in terms of amenities, front and back designs,
    and inside/outside. it will be larger than the
    current ES, moving it up in prices slightly so
    the IS300 will be the entry level car. He
    doesn't know about the engine size. but he thinks
    it will be awsome. I told him many people, including myself, would be disappointed if the
    engine stays the same. He promised to let me
    know when he gets any more news about it.

the guy was more interested in getting me to buy
    the IS300 which is expected. about this car, I
    think it would surprise a lot of people who have
    not driven it but think they know what it's like.

don't just believe what the experts say about it.
    some people said that it's noisy. I was surprised
    to learn that it's relatively quiet. the ride is
    smooth butss
    firmer than LS,ES but softer more compose than
    you would think it is. there is some body lean at
    tight corners but the tires stay glued to the
    road, even at high speed, and steering is precised. the manual E-shift needs some getting
    used to but it's actually fun if you know how to
    use it. I was also surprised that the interior
    was not as cheap as it looked on paper. although
    I'd like a more conservative look. disappointed
    that I didn't think of playing with the stereo
    but have heard that it's gotta be the best in
    entry level model. before the drive, I thought
    this car was too radically different from it's
    family. the drive suggested to me that it's
    still lexus but more playful than it's siblings.
    I would still prefer the ES because I value
    comfort ride, luxurious feel, and quietness over
    sporty handling. although I don't think the BMW
    will lose its sporty fun crown to the IS, however
    it may have found its match finally.

that was a nice experience. I'm sorry you guys
    for talking about the IS300 at an ES forum but
    just wanna share my experience with ya.
    take care
    it's alright to talk about other cars so long as there is no bashing of the ES300. Afterall IS300 is still a Lexus. I think most ES300 owners had problems with the cars, that's why we're here to discuss those problems. But since we own the ES300s we hate to hear anybody owning other competitor cars putting us down by badly criticizing the ES.