Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• lotusflalotusfla Posts: 18
    My 1999 es will need new tires. I live in Florida so wet handling is important and tire perfomance in snow is not. A quiet ride is also a criteria. The car now has Bridgestones which are adequate. Any recommendations or tires to avoid?
  • Today I purchased a 2001 and I couldn't be happier. If anyone is considering taking the plunge on one, now is a good time. I live in Dallas and a local dealer sold me the vehicle for $30,650 (MSRP as equipped around $34,700).

At this time the selection appears to remain pretty good but at prices like this (right around invoice) they won't last. My sales person told me that I got the last graphite grey they had (and would likely get) and that they're aggressively moving them in preparation for the 2002's.

As to the 2002's, even my sales person claims he's only seen "spy picks" but has heard from up the food chain that it will be a very nice and popular car. I happen to casually know the GM of the dealership where I purchased my car and spoke with him briefly about the pricing on the 2002. He said it will likely be a slight up-tick from the current model (which I took to be about $1K, on average) but they don't anticipate having any cause to sell them below sticker for at least the first few months. No surprise there.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    All that could be true, but, really ... what else could you expect him to say?
  • David,

Thank you for for providing details on the 2002 ES300. I've put $500 down as a deposit and plan on buying one this fall.

After reading your post, I have a few questions:

1) I didn't notice a Sunroof as an option. Is it included in the base model?

2) Under Factory options, you listed AVS. What is AVS?

3) Colors....what color is Alabaster? How about Black Garnet Pearl? Is that a deep red or a deep green?

4) Automatic transmission only? I'd love to see a 5-speed or 6-speed manual.

5) Do you know exterior dimensions? I assume the 2002 ES300 will be larger than the existing ES300 and should be larger than the BMW 330i and Mercedes C320. Is this correct

Thanks in advance. I appreciate your comments.

Brian
  • texbeantexbean Posts: 38
    a great deal. Which dealership did you use? Park Place or Sewell? I got the same car as you, except in white, a month ago from Park Place in Plano and paid $30910. So, you beat me by $260. I was pleased with the buying experience, and love the car. I traded in a '96 C280 with only 45K miles, but it was black with black interior and was miserable during the summer.

Larry
  • ctrowland1ctrowland1 Posts: 31
    Just read 50 most recent ES 300 messages. I was very impressed with the quality and "kindness" expressed by those posting. Nice Job! So I thought I would "log on" and put in my two cents. I purchased my ES 300 in March 2001. Coach, oyster pearl. Paid $500 over invoice which was $30,600. To the HP issue. Horse power was not high on my list when looking for my next car. Quality, reliability, ride, looks and luxury interior were high on the list. After much research, only the Lexus fit my criteria. Acura TL looked to much like an Accord. (I currently own a 1989 Accord Coupe with 202,000 miles. Original owner. Great car.) I did not test drive the TL. Maybe I should have? Infinity I30 looks way to close to the Maxima. Audi A4, Volvo S60 were to expensive when equiped like the "Coach". Volvo has had reliability issues as of late. So I bought the ES. Dealer experience, Concord CA Lexus, has been top notch. Can't say that about my GM dealer and my Suburban, but that's another board. After 4,000 miles, I am very pleased with the ES.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Here's what I've been told about the size of the new car:
    L - 191.7
    W - 71.3
    H - 57.1

For comparison, the 2001 ES 300 is:
    L - 190.2
    W - 70.5
    H - 54.9

And the all-new 2002 Camry is:
    L - 189.2
    W - 70.7
    H - 58.7
  • jamrock4jamrock4 Posts: 53
    Do not know how people such as lenscap and dsalkin find the time to provide so much info on the ES300. Appreciate it. Lenscap see if you can convince your Lexus contact to provide you with a bootleg picture of the new ES300 and please post on this forum :).
  • dli1022dli1022 Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 ES300 in 1999, and am generally happy about most aspects of the car. However, there is one thing that has been bothering me about this car. That is the noise made by the A/C system. I don't remember when this started, but the A/C makes a very auditable noise kinda like "sh.....", whenever it kicks in. This is true when I put it on auto or manual. I took this car to the dealers three times for this problem, and even called the Lexus customer satisfication 1-800 number to try to resolve this, but got no real result. Each time I was told that this is by design.

Do any of you have the same or similar problem with your car?

Thanks.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    I'm glad I can be of assistance. Knowing the owner of the dealer helps. There are no pictures as of yet, but two key dates are coming up which will reveal photos:

1. www.mag-x.com, which is supposedly reliable, gets updated this Thursday (7/26)

2. Lexus dealers across the country will drive the new ES 300 and its competitors in their hometowns mid-late August. At that time the dealers will be given lots of info.

Since I will be getting the new car I am as anxious as anybody to learn more!
  • ripinrocketripinrocket Posts: 157
    And the September 2001 issues of all the major magazines should have pictures of and maybe, a short test drive of the 2002 ES300 and Camry.

The Sept. issue is due in my mailbox in about a week!
  • afinegoldafinegold Posts: 57
    Thanks for posting the drawings, ecaf, but to me it looks like the wordsmiths that created the translated text for the drawings worked harder than the designers did. I can't say that I'm impressed with these pencil drawings, and hope that if they're the Real McCoy, that the car itself, in person, looks more elegant and desirable.

Al--
  • jamrock4jamrock4 Posts: 53
    Good job ecaf. I have to agree with afinegold. I was expecting Lexus to do a better job with the redesign (assuming this is the real deal). However sometimes a car will actually look more impressive in real life than a picture. Therefore I am still hopeful that I will be satisified with the look of the finished product.
    From the pics, it looks like Lexus is finally tossing the frameless doors for the ES300. Yeah!
    Duh. Forget to mention, I think from those sketches, the ES300 will look pretty good in real pictures.

Waiting, waiting, waiting for that issue of MT in a week.
    I don't see anything wrong with the way the new ES300 looks in the "official pics."
    It looks similar to the currect ES300 in front and more like an LS400 in the rear.
    Pricing is my only real concern. It does not have hideous looks.
  • It actually looks like I thought it would i.e. scaled down LS430. I think it will surprise everybody with it's new interior, options, and refinement. I'm sure it will be smooth as butter just like the new LS. I talked to the dealership though and he's heard mid to high 30's in price. This seems a bit steep, anybody know for sure ?
    If it is as smooth and quiet as the current LS, then the price will be fine since it will nicer than all the competition. Even the current ES sticker can get to high 30's if you completely load it with every option. The difference is that the current ES can be had with hefty discounts from that high sticker.
    The current ES300 is nowhere near as smooth and quiet as an LS, in fact it isn't even as smooth and quiet as a 2001 Acura TL. The age of the design really is showing in the 2001 ES300 models.
    If anyone here knew the exact pricing and could disclose it, I'm sure they would post it with needing to be asked.
  • strapper1strapper1 Posts: 2
    Just what you have all been waiting for.... get down to your favourite book store and find a copy of Consumers Magazine titled 2oo2 car and truck reports September issue and they list the 2002 es300 with a nice picture and description.It looks very nice has framed windows,5 speed auto,same size engine that has been tweaked to give better gas consumption,side curtain airbags.It has 2"longer wheelbase,1"longer overall,1"wider and 2" higher.Consumers has already tested it and gave it an excellent rating. Glad to be able to give all you Lexus loyals this information Better get your orders in soon.regards strapper1