Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• On my ES300, I was initially disappointed with the HIDs--not with their intensity, but with the fact that they didn't seem tilted up high enough to light the road very far ahead. Taking the advice of one of the posters here, I asked the Lexus dealer, at my 1,000 mile complimentary service, to raise the headlights up to the maximum permissible level.

They did it, and WOW!, what a difference. Although they may have raised them only a couple of degrees or so, it seemed to about double the distance that the lights shined. I'm really glad I asked them to do it, and even happier that they did it and didn't give me an argument.

I too have had virtually no flashing from oncoming drivers since I've had the car, so I'm satisfied that they're at a safe but much more effective level.

Also, have those of you with HIDs noticed that the "brights" are not HIDs, but conventional lighting? At least mine are.

Al--
  • e mail me for complete information.

golfcat@vcitynet.com.
  • hk2lahk2la Posts: 53
    I ordered a Millenium Silver/Light Charcoal with Premium/HID/Wood. In L.A. area, you also have to purchase Cargo Net/Trunk Mat/Wheel Locks (not much $). I really wanted VSC, but I'd either have to get Navigation or wait 3 months, so decided not to wait that long. Plus, sales tax is going up again on Jan. 1. Got mine for $1,000 over invoice.
  • What dealer did you order your ES300 through in LA? I am in the market and the best I have found is $2,000 over invoice...
  • aggie76aggie76 Posts: 265
    Ok folks, time to replace my '98 GS300 company car. Would never have considered old ES but hear new one is closer to GS in interior size and luxury. RWD vs FWD and probable relo to Chicagoland in next 10 months from TX has me tempted to go after ES instead. Any one with insight/advice???
  • First, I have seen a lot of talk about gas mileage. I just bought my son a 2001 Malibu LS that was rated at 20 mpg in the city. I told him he had to pay for his own gas and since then he has devised a way of driving that gets him 25 mpg (that is what the car is rated for highway driving) and he travels 40 miles a day through the city. I think it is incredible that a 16 year-old can avoid a lead foot, let alone use a type of coasting method to get better mpg than the sticker says.

Next. I own a 2002 CL Type-S and the maintenance charges are outrageous IMO. If I take it into the dealership to do the service they have to do everything it says in the book at when all is done, it comes out to about $500—and they really don’t do that much. I have never purchased a Lexus before but I am strongly considering the ES300 as an X-Mass gift to myself. What is they maintenance like on this car? Also, what are you opinions about it compared to other luxury cars in the market? Are you happy with your decision?

Thanx for all the help!
  • I don't know where those numbers came from, I didn't type them!!!!
  • You'll find that Lexus dealers charge high prices for service also, though not as high as the $500 you've posted for your CL. My nearest Lexus dealer charges $135 for the routine 7,500 or 10,000 mile service (the 1,000 and 5,000 mile services are complimentary.)

However, with the Lexus, you can also take it to a Toyota dealer and get the same service (oil change, tire rotation, check levels, etc., etc.) for about 1/2 price, and you're still taking it to an authorized dealer. You won't get the car wash and vacuum that Lexus provides, but the $70-$75 difference will buy a lot of car washes!!

The Toyota dealer I use said they will tell me when they don't think they should work on my ES300 (they mentioned electrical diagnosis, exotic repairs, replace timing belt, etc.) but fortunately I haven't had any of those and hope I don't for a long time.

Al--
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    I want to get the Lexus Platinum extended warranty for my new 2002 ES 300 (7 years/100,000 miles). Since this can be purchased at any dealer, can any of you recommend a dealer to buy this from (one that you've dealt with the warranty guy)?

The Lexus web site says the warranty is $1375. I've gotten two prices: $1425 and $1290.

Thanks.
  • Where in the heavens did you pay $500 for your CL service ?!!! I pay about $23 for regular service (oil changes), for which I receive the oil change, a loaner car and a free car wash (which I decline) and a vacuum (which I accept). If I decide to wait for the service, there is free coffee and doughnuts, along with free outlets to power laptops and free telephones (local calls).

For a major service like the 15,000 mile service, it costed me about $188, which is not that un-reasonable, because that includes a lot of things.

Later...AH
  • kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    I read through the ES300 manual today, and noticed that there's a lot of settings that can be changed to your preference by the dealer. And things like the compass that should be calibrated for accuracy.

So if there's something that you think you might want adjusted to your liking, look in the manual and the dealer might able to do it for you.
    2002 ES
    What is the maximum interval one should go before doing a tire rotation? (e.g. 10,000 miles)
  • At my local dealership the guy there said that he had to follow the book as to what service to do and they charge me that amount. It is (IMO) way too much for a tune-up, but that is what he said it would cost to have it done there. I don’t trust any of the local mechanics here it Tucson AZ so that is what I pay.
  • Unlike cars of yore, cars like the CL/TL do not need any tune-up for over 100,000 miles. I think you were not honestly dealt with, to say the least.

Later...AH
  • duhblec - in your posts #1746 and #1753, you didn't say what services the dealer performed or what mileage you took the car in at. Those items of info need to be known to judge whether you were treated fairly or not. If your mileage, for example, were 30,000 or 60,000, that would be a lot different than 5,000 or 10,000 or some other in-between mileage, since the 15,000, 30,000, 60,000, etc. generally call for a lot more servicing that the others.

Also, in your posts you didn't seem to have a beef that the dealer did more than the book called for, so that doesn't seem to be an issue. The dealer apparently did what was called for; thus you must be questioning only the price you paid.

So what was your mileage and what specific services did the dealer do? And was it really $500, or was that a rounded amount?

Al--
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,026
    My wife's ES300 has free service for the first two years, so I don't have a clue what the cost will be after two years. Tmart
  • That number was slightly rounded. It was more like $480. The car (this is going by memory) was at between 9.5-11 thou. I was trying to find the info on exactly what they did, and from what I can tell, not much. No major problems with anything. The only thing they did worth mentioning was fixing a slight problem with my driver side window (it was ‘hesitating’ when going up or down).

I was told that they were doing what it said to do in the book.

I am now questioning what they did and I want to find out what it should have really cost me. I will have a big problem with this dealership if they did overcharge and lie to me.

What about service on a new ES? How does that run. What is it you pay for norm. everyday stuff and what is it you pay for the milestone jobs? After I figure what Acura did to me, I think I’m going to purchase a new ES. What are some option combos you would recommend? I was thinking about the Nav/ML/Wood combo.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the dealerships in and around the Phoenix and Tucson area. I’m willing to drive to Phoenix if it is worth it.

Thanx for the help and when I find out what Acura did to me I will probably be causing a few problems at their local dealership!
  • Howdy:

duhblec wrote:

>>Does anyone have any experience with any of the dealerships in and around the Phoenix and Tucson area. I'm willing to drive to Phoenix if it is worth it.>>

Call Tom Himes (Himes Leasing & Sales) at 602.957.6601. He is an independent dealer who works with the fleet department at Bell Lexus. Tom is a total pro, and makes the buying experience a breeze.

My service experience with Bell Lexus has been great. All my friends who own Lexus vehicles say the same thing.

Email me off list (Robert@BassLawFirm.com) for more information.

Cordially,
    RNBESQUIRE
  • Thanx for the help and when I find out what Acura did to me I will probably be causing a few problems at their local dealership!

It is not "Acura" who "did to you" !!! It is that particular dealership you frequent, who happened to service Acura vehicles. Also, have you tried servicing your vehicle at the local Honda dealerships ?

You were over-charged for the service. Period. Either you take it up with the dealership after getting comparative costs from elsewhere or take your car elsewhere (maybe to the local Honda dealership, if you do not have Acura dealerships in your vicinity). No point in blaming Acura.

I would assume that Lexus would with guaranteed certainity, charge you well above what Acura charges.

Later...AH
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    One other point about your $480 service bill. You said the major item fixed was the power window. With your mileage, that is covered under the warranty. You should have been charged nothing for it.

As for Lexus costs, they are not any higher than Acura (at least by me). My brother bought a 2002 CL-S in September and I checked the maintenance costs. Not much different from Lexus.
  • Here are some approximate costs for services for my 1995 ES300. It now was about 105,000 miles on it, so some of the earlier service costs may have gone up by now a bit.

7.5K: ~$90
    15K: ~$250
    22.5K:~$90
    30K: ~$350
    37.5K:~$90
    45K: ~$300
    52.5K:~$90
    60K: ~$650

At 120K miles I'm planning on changing the timing belt so total 120K service cost should be about $1.5K.

The servicing costs for my 2000 LS400 are pretty similar at least up to 20K miles.
    I've noticed that for some of the Lexus services, (e.g. 15K), not that much more is done outside of standard maintenance (oil change, tire rotation, etc.), but they charge a whole lot more.
  • Well, of course, they ratchet up the prices of major services by doing alot of useless services. Like, I know, the "checks" and "inspections" are basically B.S. I remember my 15K service included oil change, oil filter, tire rotation, air filter, wiper blades, transmission fluid change, and then of course, the usual checks and inspections at 15K interval. Personally, the price isn't that overinflated.

I do feel the 7.5K oil changes are overinflated. All they really do is change oil, filter and rotate tires and wash the car for $90 bucks. That should really cost $50 bucks tops.
  • On the other hand, my son's Honda recently went in for it's 15K service and that car also cost about $250 and that included no transmission fluid change. So other dealer's inflate prices also.
    Yes, I agree those "checks" and "inspections" are BS. In fact, if you asked them about those things during a routine oil change, they'll check those things for you for free, and probably more carefully.

If you think the 7.5k service is overinflated at $90, then I would think that you would think the 15k service be overinflated as well. You're paying $160 more for air filter, wiper blades, and transmission fluid change.
    Wiper blades...$10, easy to change yourself. Air filter...$30, easy to change yourself. That leaves $120 for a transmission fluid change. I don't think even Lexus would charge that much for a transmission fluid change as a separate service.

On another note, I take my Honda to the dealer for service and this dealer has pretty competitive prices ($20 for oil change, top off of all fluids, and the BS checks). My Lexus dealer charges $50 for the same, which is pretty expensive but not enough to make me want to risk service at a non-Lexus place.
  • Well, I called my local Acura dealership and I spoke with service. He tried to rattle off things that they do, and then said that the extra charge probably came in the window repair saying that not EVERYTHING can be covered by warranty. I though that he was just BSing me so I demanded to speak with the owner of the dealership. I was put on hold for 25 minutes and they finally said he must be out because he isn't answering and I was continuously kicked back to the operator. I have decided to call Acura direct and complain about this dealership. If for nothing more than the problems I have had with them (too many to list). I will also ask about the price I was charged.

Is this common for Acura? How is Lexus service? I may just buy a Benz because of the service if this is what it is like. The Chevy dealership I bought my son's car at is better than this!
  • autos3autos3 Posts: 24
    I wanted to share with everyone my experience to date with our 02 ES. I am the guy who traded in a 02 Acura Tl Type S for this car, which created some debate here.

First, this car is so different from the TL, they should not be compared to each other. The Lexus ES IS in a different league here. My TL was a nice ride, (don't forget, we also own a 00 3.5 RL, which we LOVE) but the 02 ES blow the TL away.
    Sure the ES is not as quick as the acura, but that is not what the Lexus is about. The
    Acura is a sports sedan, the Lexus is a luxury sedan. I am not suffering from the buyers remorse that was discussed on this thread. Again, the Lexus is a better car. Period.
  • How would you compare the two cars? How is the ride similiar or different? the comfort? the stereos? Which one do you most enjoy driving?
  • antiosama (love that handle; maybe I'll adopt one called antisaddam starting in a couple of weeks or so),

Your posts show a little Canadian flag rather than a US flag, so I'm wondering if the costs you cited in your post #1761 and others are in Canadian or US dollars? They seem to be US, but if Canadian, you're getting a great deal. And if US, how come your posts show a Canadian flag? Just curious.

Al in Seattle area

P.S. I called both Lexus dealers in the Greater Seattle area for the cost of a 10,000 mile service on my 2000 ES 300 (just the routine LOF, tire rotation, fluid level checks, wash and vaccuum.) The Bellevue Lexus dealer quoted $135!! (which I confirmed by a callback--and got a different voice on the phone--the next day.) The Seattle Lexus dealer quoted $79.95 for the same thing. Guess which one I used? Wrong!! I took it to the local Toyota dealer for $69 (didn't get the car wash, but G-d did that for me on the way home.)

Moral: if you have more than one Lexus and/or Toyota dealership in your area, or a trustworthy independent (non-dealer) shop, call around for pricing, especially for routine servicing.
  • gdb55gdb55 Posts: 14
    Anybody have any recent experience purchasing from Lexus of Portland or Lexus of Eugene? Any difference between the two as far as price, service, etc.
This discussion has been closed.