Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    Oh, I'm sure you'll be quite happy with Lexus service. After all, their service prices are a rip-off. I'm not sure how Lexus service prices compare to Infiniti dealers' though. But I'm getting a little tired of my local Lexus dealer sending me "discount" coupons for $50 oil changes (same price as without the stupid coupon).
  • kreativ: what part of the country are you in? $50 for an oil change is a rip. I'm in Atlanta, Infiniti generally will do this and wash the car for $29.
    Clark
    I'm in southern California. Prices for an oil change at Lexus dealers range from $40-50, same for tire rotation.
  • Looking for opinions on the Vehicle Skid Control option. Is it worth the $650 MSRP? Does it really make a difference? Don't have any snow or ice to deal with where I live, just rain. My commute is roughly 100 miles round-trip each day. Generally seems like a good safety feature to have just in case, but does it really do much, and are there any downs sides? Checked to see if my insurance company would give me any type of a discount if I had it, and the answer was no. Kind of makes me wonder.

I saw an earlier posting that said you don't really notice it until you need it, but the question is would you really ever need it much, or is it just an unnecessary and expensive option. I think it comes standard on the GS and SC, so you would think it is a worthwhile feature. I am ordering a 2002 ES300 with premium package and HID, but haven't decided on the VSC. Any help would be appreciated.
    I didn't know about this until I flipped through the owner's manual again, but the digital compass needs some calibrating to be accurate...basically setting the region you're in and driving around in a circle a couple times. Instructions are in the owner's manual.
  • I think your comparisons are right on. I just picked up my 02 Lexus the past Saturday (Silver Metallic with PP, HID, Heated Seats, VSC) for $34,500 plus DH ($299). Before that I spent about a month going thru all the cars in this segment (BWM 325/330, AUDI A4, Acura TL-S, etc). In the end I decided to pick Lexus for the overall package and luxury. My previous car is a 96 Honda Accord, and naturally I thought long and hard about moving up to the Acura, but in the end the lack of head room (I'm 6 feet tall) turned me away. The German cars are more fun to drive, but they are generally smaller in size, and reliability is still an issue. I want a car that's comfortable to drive and will last a long time, and you can hardly beat a Lexus in this regard.

Good luck in your selection.
  • I personally think VSC is well worth the extra money. It includes both skid and traction control, and it'll definitely come in handy when you drive in snow or heavy rain. Local dealers told me cars equiped with this option sell much faster that those without, but then again I live in Denver.
    I live in SoCal, so I didn't even consider VSC. But if I lived in an area that snowed or rained frequently, I'd defintely get VSC. The VSC comes with TRAC and Brake Assist as well.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Posts: 1,352
    Kevin, thanks for the back up. LOL!!! Anti, could of got the TL type S for the same price($100 over) but they didn't have one with NAV.

It was all moot anyway after the Mrs. drove the 2002 ES.

Will probably schedule the 5000 mile check up this week and get the recalls handled.
  • Thanks for your thoughts on the VSC option folks. Placing the order for the car tomorrow, and will probably add it on. I'll check this site in the AM in case anyone else out there offers more input. The TRAC definitely sounds like a plus, but I'm not too familiar with the Brake Assist. Anyone ever have that or the VSC actually kick in on their ES yet?
  • I just purchased a new 2002 ES300 (silver exterior/gray interior) on Saturday. For those of you in the TX, LA, OK, MO, NM area Do yourself a favor and go to Park Place Lexus in Dallas. They are located within visual of DFW airport.

Contact is Don_Eichorst@ParkPlaceTexas.com...No, I have absolutely no business connection with this dealer, didn't know them at all before last week. Don is the internet sales rep...

I had been researching this car since October. Followed all the Edmunds postings. Did not want to pay sticker on this or any other car. I wanted best price possible and contacted all TX, LA, NM dealers via e mail... PPL came in at $2,000 below sticker, which is best price I think you will find outside of So Cal..

This is a very professional organization. No hassle or playing games. Did everything they said they would. Car was extremely well prepared. All went very smoothly. Drove it the 4 hours back home and am very pleased.

Drove the Infiniti I-35 for comparison. The Lexus excels at being a luxury car. Interior, features make you feel you are in a much more expensive vehicle. Great road car, quiet comfortable. Not a car you buy for performance.

I will keep you all posted on how it proceeds...
  • I really enjoy reading everyone's opinions about how they feel about the new Lexus ES300 (good and bad).
    I started shopping for a new car since last September, and I have tested drive BMW 325, 525, X5 3.0, Infiniti I35, Lexus RX300, and the new ES300. I never wanted to test drive a Acura TL (or TL-S) because I still own a 02' RL which is really a nice car. My final decision is down to the new ES300 because it has the best combination of luxury, modern style, engineering, and quality. The I35 was close for the race, it has very nice V6 engine, but not quite reach the level of Lexus design, simple and luxury.
    I live in the Bay Area of N. CA, and original I had a good deal with one of the Lexus dealer, but they screwed up the order, I was very upset about it, I even called up Lexus Corp to complain about it. I then start sending out price quotes to several S. CA Lexus dealers, Longo Lexus is the one who was willing to sell me the car with the price I was willing to pay for.
    I ordered a Mystic Gold one with fully loaded model (NAV/ML, HID, heated seats, AVS, etc.) last November, and picked up the car at the dealer on 2/2/02. I paid over 3K off MSRP which I think it was really a good deal. To order the car at the right time with a good sales person is the key to get a good price, not sure whether they are still willing to sell it for that price though.
    By the way, is there any of the new ES300 owners experiencing brake pedal noise when you step on the brake or release it? The noise was not very loud, but noticeable. It is like the end of the pedal is knocking something. My Acura RL has no noise at all. I checked with the dealer during my 1K checkup, and they said they double check with 2 other new ES, they all have the same noise, so they think it is normal. I am still not convinced.
    Beside this little issue, I am really enjoying the car a lot.
  • lexus1lexus1 Posts: 14
    I would suggest that what you are feeling is your ABS going on too soon (unless you're doing a lot of panic stops on wet ground!). I have a new 2002 (mfg in Jan) and have felt none of that so far.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    I enjoyed reading your post but I was a little confused concerning this statement: " I never wanted to test-drive an Acura TL because I still own a RL which is really a nice car". What do you mean by that statement? Is the TL a bad car or was it that you did not want two Acuras in your household?
  • fredvh:
    First of all, I need to correct my mistake in my statement, I have a 00" RL, not a 02" RL. I cannot say TL is not a good car, I used to drive the last generation of 3.2TL, and then switched to the RL because the build quality of the RL is much, much better than the current TL if you are not so much care about the horse power, and the lease rate of the RL was very attractive.
    When the new TL was out on the market the first year, I was disappointed because it lost what Acura used to have in their earlier models, luxury, build quality, and styling. The TL is just too much alike the Accord, IMO.
    If Acura can build a near-entry luxury car so eye-catching like the ES300 and luxury feel, why would you pay extra money for the Lexus, right? Having two Acuras is not my concern, it is the Lexus build quality and design that win my final decision.
  • aimanaiman Posts: 61
    If you live in Texas (or neighboring states), especially in D/FW, don't forget to drop by Sewell Lexus near Love Field on Lemonn road. I have no business relation with Sewell dealership but I have read Carl Sewell's book, "Customers for Life." If they practice what the book says, you're in for a very fine treatment.

I live in Houston, btw. After I read the book, I went to see his dealer when I got the chance to go to Dallas with my fiance. Dallas is my favorite city in the world.
  • lexus1: Thanks for your information about the brake. I definitely will bring my ES to another dealer for checkup again. The brake noise exists without even starting the car, so I think the ABS should not be on at that moment. Plus I don't have to press the brake very hard to hear the noise, the noise can also be heard when I release the brake.
    I am wondering whether it has something to do with the brake pedal mechanic assembly. If any of the dealers can fix the problem, I will let you know about the cause.
    Thanks for the explanation. I am also concerned with dependability and build quality on a new car. It probably is my number one consideration but I do not want to pay $100,000 to have to get it either. I am considering a new vehicle in the next 12 months or so. I am considering the ES300, Acura TL, Infiniti, Buick Regal, and the Olds Aurora. As stated before I consider quality and dependability to be of upmost importance. Please let us know how the ES300 is progressing as the miles roll on. I would like to know what kind of gas mileage you will be getting also as I have heard of low mpg even with the 5-speed auto.
    Has anyone heard that the supposed "sludge" problem affects the ES300 engine? I have not heard enough about this problem to know the answer.
  • bolbol Posts: 7
    It has been more than 3 weeks since I dropped my car to the dealer to fix the engine whistling noise problem. I was told that they replaced the throttle body and I was supposed to pick up the car last Friday after the final inspection. But nobody had called me so far to tell me the status. So for those who believe in Lexus quality, this is a BIG alarm to you. You may end up with a lemon like me too. I am really frustrated.
  • tk_dettk_det Posts: 21
    This question is for 2002 ES300 owners with the Nav system. In the top left corner of the screen just below the compass, there is a small rectangular box with the letters "GPS" which appears when the car has acquired a good GPS signal. Does that box stay all the time in your cars or does it appear and dissappear intermittently?

Thanks
  • hk2lahk2la Posts: 53
    I've never had it on any car and am considering it now. I read the articles here about the new Alpine and other systems, but not really willing to pay the extra $$. I know it depends on individual needs, etc., but wanted to solicit some general thoughts from people who have installed it on their vehicles, or specific experience if you've unfortunately have had to use it. Thanks.
  • texas83texas83 Posts: 107
    Hi Citybeancount,

Thanks for the post. Hope you're checking back. I was wondering where you live. I live in Houston and have started looking around. They all want sticker here. Just curious, because Houston is about 4 hours from Dallas. Just curious where all you looked.
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Posts: 134
    When will the Es get the new 3.3L engine with some balls to it? If they rest on there laurels too long, it will be swallowed up by the TL and new G35.
    Lexus has things planned out very well for the ES model, in terms of their bottom line. ES350 w/ 3.5L engine will be introduced sometime during this 5-year design generation, similar to the I30 getting a 3.5L engine (and being called the I35) as a mid-generation refreshening. How soon or late the ES350 will be introduced will probably depend on how well the new ES continues to sell. Right now, it's outselling all of its competitors by a good margin.

I don't think Lexus will ever worry about the TL, unless Acura suddenly ups their brand prestige and injects more luxury into that car.

The G35 is a competitor to the IS300, and a very good one. The IS will have some catching up to do.
  • here is how I bought the car: I e mailed all 18 texas dealers, also New Orleans. Address to Internet Sales Manager.

Also Phoenix and Las Vegas (could combine visit with purchase). I decided not to go to Los Angeles. Would require a trip out there and shipping/driving it back which will cost at least a thousand. Tack that on to a thousand over invoice (they will sell for that) and you have a comparable cost of 2k over invoice--which is what I got my Lexus for in Dallas.

I was a cash buyer. No trade in. But Park Place Lexus said they would have done the same deal if you finance. The deal will come if they have the car on the lot or are getting it in. Park Place was agressive on price from the first. They have the volume. Had 5 ES300s lined up for delivery just in the day I was up there.

Make your deal over the internet. Ask for VIN Number, copy of Lexus Invoice, showing optional equipment to be faxed to you. Statement of mileage. handwritten offer on the invoice, which you will sign as accepted and fax back.

I live in Austin-- a place you would never want to buy any car, much less a Lexus. No competition. I even went to Houston to buy a jeep.

If you are ready to do it, this is the way to go. But don't do it if you are in the "thinking about it" mode (too much work...) Good luck, hope this helps...
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Posts: 134
    The next RX will get 3.3L, and the IS will also inherit this engine. Who said that displacement would increase almost 20%? The Camry/Sienna/Solara/GS al would inherit this new engine (in varying power levels). Who's you source on that?
  • When will the GS series be completely redone and when will the next version of the RX-300 be coming out? When will we get an indication of what they look like? Thanks
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Well, I finally picked up my 2002 ES 300 over the weekend. It took several months, but the car was definitely worth the wait. My car is Millennium Silver with a black interior with NAV/ML, HID lights, AVS, VSC, heated seats, wood wheel and sunshade.

So far, the car is great. I love it so much more than my previous 1995 ES 300 (and I loved that one too).

I'll give more details later this week.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    For what it's worth, my dealer said the next RX will be out next spring (2003) as a 2004. It will NOT have a third seat as have some have suggested. That role will be left up to the new GX 470.

The new GS is due out next fall (2003), also as a 2004. In all likelihood there will be an all-wheel drive version.
This discussion has been closed.