Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• Just went to the Auto Expo in New Haven, CT and was REALLY impressed with the ES300. I liked it much better in person. The interior is incredible. Lexus is the hands down winner when it comes to interior design. Just 2 points:
    1. I agree that the window switch panels should have wood around them.
    2. Directly across from the top of the center console ashtray, there is a seem where the dashboard leather meets the leather side pieces from the middle console. The previous generation ES had the same arrangement except that it was up higher. Anyway, The previous generation had a problem with alignment between these 2 pieces. Many people complained about it and I personally saw it on dozens of cars I looked at. WELL, I noticed similar problems with the 3 2002 ES300's I have looked at so far. They are not off alot but the center console is so clean and perfect that this slight imperfection really detracts from it IMHO. Since Lexus knew about the problem in the previous car, I would have thought they could have done something differently. On my '99, I was told that it was because the upper dash and lower console pieces were made of different materials so it was hard to get them to line up exactly. The LS and the GS use a different arrangement where I believe there is some overhang to eliminate this. Maybe they could have put a thin chrome filler strip between the 2 pieces. Am I being too picky or does this bother anyone else or am I just seeing early production hickups?
  • Has anyone who has special ordered the car gotten their car or heard when they might be getting it? I ordered mine Sept 6th and am still waiting on it.
  • gdb55gdb55 Posts: 14
    Gambhir: I recall your saying you are also in Portland, OR. How much of a discount off sticker price did you get on your new ES300?
  • rleongrleong Posts: 41
    Does anyone know if I can order an 2002 ES300 with cloth seats? My local dealer said I cannot do this or select the options I want. Is this true?
  • I love my Blue Onyx color and the styling of the newly redesigned ES300. The interior is huge, front and back. The instrument panel is bright and stylish. The ES is loaded with features and amenities. The stock radio is marginal. The radio and climate system instruments are impossible to read on a bright day, especially when wearing sunglasses. This should be fixed.

The engine and transmission are very smooth and reasonably powerful. The transmission is especially smooth and quiet when accelerating through lower gears.

Road noise is too great and and the doors are too metallic sounding when the door handles are opened and released. The car seems light in weight on the road. I expected the Lexus to be quieter and more substantial.

I am satisfied with the HID headlights and wood steering wheel option.

Coming from an Acura RL I believe the two cars are priced about right. The RL nets at $39k without Nav and is worth it. The ES300 was $34k with $1293 off MSRP and is worth the savings.
  • gambhir got a special deal on his because he has some connection with his local dealer.

I can tell you that my friend in California just got a new ES for $2600 off list. If you're in one of the competitive areas for car dealerships, don't settle for anything less than $2000 off list! And brush up on your negotiating technique before you head over to the dealer.
  • inkyinky Posts: 370
    The dealer is lying--not wrong. If they advertise leather as an option, which they do, then cloth must be available. However, it will be special order and take some time from Japan. I have seen RX 300 and ES 300 with cloth (pre 02's). I for one do not see the point. Resale will suffer much more that the cost.
    A sunroof is not nearly as critical. many do not like them.
    INKY
  • inky, Cloth is available. But you cannot get alot of options if you get cloth trim. I think that is what he meant.
  • mbbenz, did you put the Yokohama's on your car yet? I was wondering if they are noisy since they look like they have a fairly aggressive tread design. Also, where did you get them? I live in New Haven, CT and I can't find any place that carries them. Did you get them mail order? If so, did you have any problems with the delivery experience, e.g., damage to the tires?
  • mbbenzmbbenz Posts: 47
    I got them at www.discounttiredirect.com and they were $460 delivered (free shipping till end of the year). They are Yoko Guardex F720 mounted and balanced on steel wheels with 15" Toyota styled hubcabs. It was delivered via FeDex and arrived 2 days after ordered. I live in central Mass. They were wrapped up pretty well. No damages whatsoever. I have yet to put them on since I want to minimize the use of them if there isn't snow yet. They did ship me the hubcabs I didn't want so they shipped out the correct ones and told me to hang the ones I didn't want up as souvenirs. Other than that I can't really tell you how they handle in the snow/ice or how noisy/quiet they are. I need to pick up a hydraulic jack before I can tell you.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    My local Lexus dealer's salesperson made a point of discussing cloth seats. Told wife and I they are theoretically available but the dealership doesn't order any ES300s without leather so if you want cloth you have to special order and put down a deposit. He recommended against cloth saying it hurts resale badly. I retorted something to the effect, then why doesn't Lexus just make leather standard like Infiniti does in the I-35? Optional leather in an ES300 is a huge scam!
  • All,
    Got my black garnet yesterday with all options excluding AVS-what a treat-the car is quiet and super smooth-I love the instrument cluster-the NAV is very good-Surprisingly I had thought the ML will be a disappointment--it wasn't--quite good
    The car also seems pretty quick (well, okay not the quickest:) but it wasn't slow either--
    Only complaints so far--my windows fog very quickly (more than my previous ES) and I had to learn how to caliberate the compass

I still can't get the universal homelink work on my garage door--don't know how to do it--the manual procedure doesn't work--any suggestions

Beautiful car

Gold package looks like on this color

Seats are A+ --very cushy and cozy--only problem is getting out of the car to go into the office building!
  • rleongrleong Posts: 41
    According to our Lexus sales person, I cannot order an es300 from Japan with cloth seats. He said if I wanted basic es300 he can probably track down an es300 without the heated front seats. We only have 2 Lexus dealers in the state. I'll stop by the other one and see what they say. I agree with everyone about the resale value without the leather seats. I have a feeling I can get a better deal buying the car off their lot than special ordering one.
  • congrats on the new car! my millenium silver and black interior is 8 days old and so far so good. with regards to your garage opener. our sales guy programmed the button by simultaneously pushing our old remote with button #1. after several attempts it finally "took" so you may have to be patient. i am by no means an audiophile but the only reason i bought the ml/nav was because i just, for once in my pathetic car-owning existence, wanted a good stereo. i'd say i got it. to me, i want to listen to music loud and still have it hold together with no distortion. the ml does this with aplomb. i read with interest comments made around nov. 1st by an audiophile who described some criteria to judge a system by: namely, clarity of tone at low volumes and "brightness". i would have to say that he is right on both counts and i never thought about these issues until i read his post. indeed, tonal discrimination is difficult at low volumes but i just chalked it up to my ears being numb after having it cranked for so long!! not too bright on my part. is suspect, though, for the average listener the system will be impressive. the nav has proven to be a pleasant suprise. i wasn't that keen on it at the outset but have become somewhat addicted to it now. if i don't know immediately what the name of the upcoming street is i get panicky. :) incredibly accurate i must say. as i've said previously, buttery smooth ride and, as has been the consensus, adequate power. admittedly, i dread my first stoplight encounter with a TL owner. i wouldn't even try to fake it. but how heavenly smooth the defeat!!!
  • Thanks--so look like my dealership can program the garage opener if I bringthem the handheld one?
    If that is the case then super

The only problem no is my wife wants to drive it to work and so do I --and that is a problem:)

More as I drive it--completed 100 miles--like the trip computer a lot
    Regarding ML--I am an average listener so I guess my demands are few and I am satisfied with it.

People give lot of curious looks: two problems--I am experiencing some tailgating--the person behind me stops the car too close to mine to observe it :-(
    and yesterday a BMW 325 pumped the pedal and dangerously overtook me just to prove that he was superior--Interesting because ES ha smore power and torque than a 325--I ofcourse ignored him like a true cautious Lexus owner :)
    So my advice to the folks here is--people will admire your new car--don't give in to their challenges though--not safe at all
  • mb4zmb4z Posts: 2
    I noticed that the 02MY ES300 come standard with Summer tires. How many of the owners out there actually got the vehicles with summer tires on them? I see all season tires are a no cost option. Just trying to understand the standard summer tires. I figured most people wouldn't want them.
  • mb4z,

It depends on where you live. If you live in a area which gets no snow, you most probably will get the summer tires. People living in wintery climates get all-season tires.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Thanks for the update on your new ES300. I drove both (2001 and 2002) the other day and noticed the difference right away. The 2002 rode more quietly and had less wind noise. The driver's door was heavier and had a more solid feel. I also really liked the steering response( tighter control than the 2001). It feels like a better car even though I much prefer the styling of the 2001. I will wait until spring to seriously consider one. The prices will be lower than MSRP. Please keep us informed on the new one and check the gas mileage for us as it should be better with the 5-speed trans. Did you happen to notice that the spare comes with the alloy wheel? Is the oil filter easy to change on the 3.0 V6? Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • All season tires are a pre-requisite for getting chrome wheels--well if you order them from lexus--so I got chrome wheels from lexus and hence got all season tires as a default option
    pl. see kbb.com and it lists all season tires as a requirement for chrome wheel

oil filter is easy to change--I always have the dealer do it as part of service

Mileage is too early to tell-have not refilled it even once--but I am expecting avg 25 with 60% highway and 40% city
  • I've got 700 mi on my 02 Es300 and one small problem. Although the transmission shifts unbelievably smooth under moderate and heavy acceleration, under light acceleration it is clunky. The computer upshifts too soon, it is in 5th gear by 25 mph with all 4 shift points resulting in a noticeable power sag and a little jolt when the trans engages. It feels like a mild version of my Suburban 3qts low on trans fluid. The dealer says the computer says everything is a-ok and the computer knows best! Has anyone else experienced this issue?