Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• gambhirgambhir Posts: 64
    Hi Folks,
    I got my Lexus ES in October
    Mild --and I mean non-trivial observation when the car goes below 50, it downshifts slightly strongly but it runs so smoothly it is not a problem

Regarding, acceleration, it is faster than my 2000 which I had before

Very quiet and definitely a great package--the sound system is great

Other gripe was mileage--it seems after two servicings--1000 and 5000, it seems to have improved-doe snot give ever more than 26 , so do not expect 29

Overall a happy owner--I am considering buying ES as mys econd car as well--hoping in a yr or two a coach edition will come out with 3.3L engine

I would say IMHO--you will be a happy owner
  • mouseonlinemouseonline Posts: 47
    Hi, Folks,
    First of all, thanks to everyone here.
    I printed several pages here and negotiated price with the dealer based on prices you guys posted here.
    And I knocked down $2500 off the tag, here in Columbus, Ohio.
    I got the Premium Package and Chrome Wheel (no use, but it happens to come with the dark red color I like.)
    I think it is a good deal.
    By the way I bought a Toshiba 65 inch projector use the same method and kicked $750 off.
    I put 3000 miles on this baby now. Overall I am happy with it, or I should say if I can get the key from my wife.
    Most of the time, I drive my 2000 Honda Accord V6. Weekend I drive this ES300. Sometimes this ES300 feel too soft compare to this Honda. I don't think it is a bad thing, but I don't like this too much.
    Also, no audio control on the wheel really piss me off. I am so use to it with my Honda, I like switch stations all the time.
    The biggest noticeable luxury is quietness.
    That’ all I have to share now.
    Thanks, again.

XU
  • mouseonlinemouseonline Posts: 47
    It does look like 2002 Camry.
    Lexus should not do this to Lexus buyers, we will get upset.
  • sliangsliang Posts: 50
    mouseonline,
    Actually I think Lexus has been trying to design the 02 ES so that it won't be too much alike the Camry. Remember they shared the same platform & engine.
    The only way you can be confused by these two cars is from the front of the vehicle, but even the shape of the head lights and the grill have noticeable differences to distinguish them from each other.
    If you look at these two from the side or the rear, they look very different, IMHO.
    The interior of the ES is a totally different design and quality than the Camry, much much better than the Camry.
    I won't feel upset at all as a 02' ES owner.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    I can see where people think past Camrys and ESs were alike but the current pair are not even close. The Camry LOOKS (saying it is is blasphemy) like a Taurus more than an ES 300. I love the 2002 ES 300! Before 2002, I would never have considered buying one, but now, it's my favorite reasonably affordable Lexus.
  • The back lower portion of my driver's seat in my 95 ES300 hissed and deflated a few days ago. Now it no longer responds to the power adjustment button. Also, the ABS light and the low gas icons no longer come on. Am I looking at high tag repairs? What can anyone advise? Thanks everyone!
  • wwh11wwh11 Posts: 7
    Just thought I share this with some of you shopping for a ES300 in the northeast.

I picked up my 2002 ES300 two weeks ago from Lexus of Westport in CT. The car has all options except the Nav. package (therefore no Mark Levison sound) and the sunshade. I paid $33,300+tax. There is no documentation fee. The dealer is nice to deal with.

If this sounds like something you are interested in, let me know so I can give you the saleman's name.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,873
    A television reporter is interested in hearing from folks who have driven long distances to get good prices when buying new cars or trucks. If you have a story to tell, please drop a line including your contact info and city/state of residence to jfallon@edmunds.com.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• atoewsatoews Posts: 637
    Do you know how much over invoice that is?
  • wwh11wwh11 Posts: 7
    The invoice price is $32,303. The dealer said they "have" to charge $399 documentation fee. I said no way. So he ended up with offering me the car at $32,901. When the doc fee is added, we came to $33,300.

Hope this helps.
  • bitnoj1bitnoj1 Posts: 17
    There are about 8 Lexus dealers in the Chicago, IL
    area. Whose offering the best deals on the ES300? Looking at all options except Nav and Mark Levinson. Is $1000 over invoice out of the question. Compared to the Acura TL and the I35, the ES300 is way overpriced in my opinion.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Here's my advice for you:

1. Do not consider the I35 since it will be discontinued. Infiniti has stated they will only make RWD and AWD cars/trucks. Further, in their latest ads showing the full-line the I35 is not even shown. (I understand it's possible this fact may not bother you.). Also, the I35 will have a lower resale value.

2. The TL is a fine car. But the ES costs more for a reason. It's a brand new design (TL is near the end of its cycle), the interior is far richer and nicer in looks and quality, the ES has more safety features, the ES has a nicer ride, etc. Again, I do like the TL. But you are getting a nicer car in the ES (although less sporty) and that is what you are paying for.

Check out the details (if that matters to you) and you'll see the ES is superior to the TL. Things like the ES has real wood (fake in TL), separate rear-seat headrests (integrated in TL), dual-zone climate control (not in TL), curtain airbags (not in TL), key with integrated remote (TL uses cumbersome separate key chain), compass (TL has none), power rear shade (not on TL), trip computer (not on TL), etc.

If you decide to spend less, though, you can't go wrong with the TL.
    Does your ES have the adaptive variable suspension? I cannot figure out your invoice price by adding up the options without NAV/ML & rear sunshade.
    I am just curious. It seems that you had a real good deal on the ES, and I think the market price of the 02 ES is coming down. Enjoy your new ES.
  • tiger8tiger8 Posts: 120
    I would not buy a Canary; it's for the birds! The ES300 is a much better car, though, granted, it can't fly
  • tiger8tiger8 Posts: 120
    If you don't think the A4 is just a clone of the Passat, then you are nerts. The A4 is just a guzzied up Passat with a small back seat and a big price tag. Stick with the Passat.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    After 14 months in our last car, a Volvo V70 GLT, we were ready to lose it. We had many minor problems (with the Volvo). The Lexus after 14 months has been perfect, still feels like new, solid as a rock, not a rattle, and smooth as butta. love it
  • janieb1janieb1 Posts: 4
    Does anybody know if this is common that the roters need to be replaced at 27,000 miles. ANd why is this not covered under the warranty?
    When you give price quotes with options, it is important to provide the zip code you refer to because the available options vary by geographical region.

To test this out, just vist www.lexus.com and select the "Build a Lexus" option. By entering different zip codes, you can get a good feel for the sticker price and standard option packages sold in different areas.

For example, I bought my 2002 ES300 in LA, where two trim options are offered. Only the loaded option has heated seats, and neither options in LA include all-season tires.

By contrast the 48224 (Michigan) offers four options, all of which have heated seats and all-weather tires.
  • kreativkreativ Posts: 299
    When I purchased my ES in the LA area, there were 4 options:

1. Premium package
    2. Above + HID + Wood
    3. Above + ML + NAV + Rear Sunshade + VSC/TRAC
    4. Above + AVS

I'm surprised heated seats are now in a standard package for cars sold in southern California.
    I saw some ES' on the lot with all-season tires, but I got the Toyo Proxes J33 summer tires. I've been told you can tell them you want all-season tires instead without any extra charge.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    I am looking for an ES300 with Premium package at a MSRP of 34,960. What would be a good price for this vehicle? I would be shopping in the Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan area.
  • rtorrecartorreca Posts: 74
    I'm in NJ and got ES300+PremPkg for 34,300.
  • texas83texas83 Posts: 107
    Is anyone having transmission trouble? Mine is a piece of junk and I consider it dangerous to drive. It slips and won't give me power when I need it and strangely downshifts after accelerating. Lexus acknowledges the problem but doesn't know how to fix it. I'm considering filing under lemon law. Also has rattle in the sun roof they don't know how to fix. Had the car two months and this is very frustrating and very disappointing.
    Do you know which part of the car the roter belongs to? Engine, wheel, or transmission?
    I am surprised that the dealer told you it was not covered under warranty. I checked my 02 warranty manual, unfortunately it does not contain too much useful information.
    But if you go to www.lexus.com, and search for platinum warranty which I believe it is the same as the bumper-to-bumper coverage as the original warranty, see if you can find the roter is covered or not. The dealer may use a different name as in the warranty though.
    Or you can call Lexus customer service to find out the coverage.
    Or bring your ES to another Lexus dealer, sometimes the willingness to cover under warranty for each dealer varies. It is just like filing an insurance claim, some insurance company will approve the claim, but some won't, IMHO.
    You are not the first one to complain about the new 5 speed transmission, I believe many other 02 ES owners have complained about it.
    I am wondering how many miles you have had for your ES since you have your car for only two months.
    I was disappointed about the transmission just like you when I received the car in early Feb. But I told myself that the transmission should become smoother after driving more miles. So I tried to ignore what was happening during gear shifting and keep driving it. Sometime I tried to accelerate faster, and sometimes I tried to accelerate normally.
    What I can tell you about the transmission is that it is much smoother now, and it will do whatever you want it to do, cannot do like a racing car though.
    By the way, I have over 5700 miles for my ES.
    As I stated before, you should provide your zip code or region before having people discuss prices.

Even the definition of "premium package" varies by location. Check out which package/area you want on www.lexus.com. Do so by selecting "build your lexus" and it will give you an MSRP to go by. Then when folks from your area tell you what price to expect, you know how much off the MSRP it is.
    My transmission actually bothers me more, the longer I have the car. I think it is because we have no freeways where I live and I have a lot of stop and go driving to get to work. When accelerating and decelerating between 0 - 40 mph is when I feel the problem the most.

Any time I can drive over 40, the problem is not as apparent. But slowing down and speeding up at low speeds is beginning to annoy me.

I currently have 2500 miles on my vehicle, which I purchased on March 15. I am beginning to really hope that Lexus comes out with a fix for this, because I plan to keep my car for a long time and do not look forward to having the problem for the next 10 years.
    I purchased my vehicle at Lexus of Cerritos in LA on March 15, 2002. The base MSPR is $31,505. The additional options I have are: ML; Nav; 6 Disk CD changer in console w/ single CD player in dash; Wood and Leather Steering Wheel; heated front seats; HID lights; AVS; VSC; Power Rear Sunshade, Cargo Net, Trunk Mat, Wheel Locks.

Sticker (MSRP) with all those options plus delivery = $39,963.

Dealer's invoice at the time was $35,275.

I purchased for $37,775 on March 15. This is $2,187 below MSRP and $2500 over dealer's invoice.

Prices may be lower now than they were two months ago.
  • ac2001ac2001 Posts: 3
    Thanks to this board, I felt that I got enough information to negotiate a deal, and bought a black ES300 (with PP, CD changer, VSC, HID, HH) last week.

I liked the car so much that I drove it out 3 times during work to have some fun.

To my diappointment today, I found a small (as big as this letter 'O') sized paint chip in the front portion of the car. I have no idea how I got it.

Now I am thinking whether it's worthwhile to have the $895 3M front protection thing (basically a clear, invisible car bra) that the lady in the Finance and Insurance department pitched to me when I bought the car.

Fellow ES300 drivers, did you get the thing? Is it worth it?
  • texas83texas83 Posts: 107
    Like "atoews" I have about 2800 miles on my car. I consider it dangerous because I comit to lane changes or going through interesections and nothing happens for about a second or two. With cars moving at 50-80 ft./sec. that's a long time.

I hope it gets better. Actually, I'm frustrated with the dealer as well. Lexus dealer on the west side of Houston on I-10. They promised to call me back three times to set up an appointment with a Lexus Engineering Rep. and then they blow me off. It's been a month now and I'm taking up the issue with Lexus Headquarters in California.

I think the only way this will be addressed is through negative publicity. I urge everyone to complain as much as possible.
    More vehemently than I did at my 1000 mile check.
This discussion has been closed.