Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Subaru Legacy Limited - TPMS Light

2»

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    That does seem odd. When the temperatures drop however, your air pressures will go down, causing the TPMS light to come on. I would pump em up to 35psi and see if they can stay stable.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • pilot1226pilot1226 Posts: 165
    According to TireRack.com, the Yokohamas on the Legacy are Yokohama Advan A82A (Ultra-High-Performance All Seasons) 205/50R17, V rated though I wouldn't be foolish enough to try to push 149mph in Northern Jersey, too much traffic!

Max inflation pressure is 44 psi, so I'm comfortable to inflating it to 35psi in that I won't pop them in highway driving as the pressure increases.

Since the light is on - again - I'll go and hit the nearby pump one last time and we'll see how long it lasts. Driving doesn't seem to affect it in anyway, so the only thing I can think of is some bad contact between the stem and the tube or something along those lines, but it's so weird because it only affects them when they're in the FRONT, meaning the pressure from the engine is really pushing on them.

At any rate, what are your opinions on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus or Pilot Exalto A/S? The Sport Plus is a little bit more money ($10 per tire, give or take), but the treadwear is 500 as opposed to the 400 of the Sport Plus. The Sport Plus is also listed as High Performance, whereas the A/S is "ultra-high."

Thanks, will check back in a few days. If it weren't for this tire glitch, I would say the Legacy is a perfect car for my needs. (Though come spring we will be selling our Nissan and getting a new Outback!)
    Hey, I'm in NNJ too! If you wanted to come by our shop we could check it out for you and see what's up.

I love the Pilot Sport AS Plus. I got them free with a set of rims recently and drove em for about 6 months. They are actually very amazing.

-mike
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    edited January 2011
    This is a long shot, but lets see if it holds water (pun intended...).

You mentioned $1 air pumps. Ever not make a good seal to your schrader valve and see all of the water spray out? Common, as these standalone outdoor compressors are usually poorly maintained.

Ideally, you want a dry tire fill - nitrogen/oxygen. Then the pressure follows the basic relationship of the Ideal Gas Law (linear change in pressure with change in temp). Water changes that, as the relative humidity within the tire rises with decreasing temp, condensation forms, then it freezes. This phase change makes the whole pressure relationship non-linear. Worse, if the water works its way into the bead and freezes, it could unseat the tire and cause a leak.

Granted they use various composition bead sealers and lube when they mount the tire, but you might have a lot more water in there now than you should. I also wonder if this isn't also part of the corrosion problems at the TPMS seal others are reporting.

When you change tires, have them inspect the bead seal area, and wipe everything down before mounting the new tires.

For $35 you can buy yourself a very nice little compressor and stop filling your tires with crud.
    Thanks for your response. I saw this on Amazon, seems like it got some good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-RP3200-Inflator-Worklight/dp/B000642GAM/- ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295363187&sr=8-1

I used to have a Black and Decker Air Station a while ago that finally gave out, and never replaced it. The B&D unit is a little more expensive and corded (there's a cordless version that's available that's around $20 more than the one I listed above).

I'll probably grab the top one unless anyone here has had a very bad experience.
    after reading a bit more, I decided to buy the Black and Decker cordless inflator. Seems like a sturdier unit, can be "charged" and also can run off the vehicle's 12V port... There were a few reviews that the cord on the one I previously listed was too short to reach the rear tires (lol!)
    The Black and Decker ASI500 Cordless Air Station is great! The MSRP on this is around $130, but you can find this heavily discounted on online retailers like Amazon.

It's chargable, and claims to be able to fill all 4 tires in a single charge (not from a fully deflated state, though), and did a great job of putting a few pounds back into the tires on my Legacy.

The air hose portion that actually connects to the valve can get slightly "stuck" when you are removing it - so I overinflated by 0.5 psi, then took a measurement with a digital tire gauge and it was right on the money (33PSI front).

So, we'll see how long this lasts. I'm sorry I missed your post above, Mike. I will definitely consider the Pilot A/S then when these are due. According to reviews of TireRack, these OEM Yokohamas aren't only expensive, but they don't last (and got some pretty bad reviews for handling, etc!) Luckily, I think the local Costco sells Michelins, so I will probably shoot over in another couple thousand miles.
    Cool, like I said we are local to you so if you need a hookup on tires let me know.

-mike
  • are you filling it up inside and warmer temps then bringing it outside to colder temps. and are you filling them cold (not driven) if you want 32 pounds cold fill it up inside to about 37 and it will be 32 outside.
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    TireRack recommends about a 3 psi overfill when done in a attached garage to compensate for actual outside winter temperatures. Just a guide - you need to figure out the right 'adder'
  • Nope. Filling it up outside. It only happens in the cold weather months. I'm thinking it's probably the tires, since they all tend to do it. Just shoddy construction on an OEM tire, which appears to be typical.

Filling it up about once every 3 days otherwise I see the light.

Thanks.
  • each about 12 degrees is 1 pound of pressure. the thing that makes me think it is a filling problem is the fact that it 'stops' losing pressure at a certain point.
  • No, it's getting filled when the tires are cold (in the morning when it's sat for around 10 hours). Still having the same issue, every 3 days or so I have to fill the front tires only, but at least I have the convenience of my cordless inflator.
2»