Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• mlbarnesmlbarnes Posts: 48
    I have read the post on March 18, but still do not understand. I do not understand the what, where, and the how and especially, using this coding, but replace the (and) with < and >. Please explain, and by the way I'm pretty smart. This is all new to me!! Thanks

P.S. Should I have a folder and an album or both or what?
  • mrman_3k1mrman_3k1 Posts: 52
    You know I was thinking, what do they mean by Exclusive Nappa leather. The salesman kept talking about it but I didn't really think much of it. Now I am curious, does it meant that is the extra leather on the dash and seats, or is it a special type?
    You are a wonderful person and a great teacher. Thanks a million and this is for you. HERE IT IS image
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    You can easily put 19-20" Wheels on the S500. Of course, the ride is crappy!

By the way, those pictures on the S500 posted above, damn those wheels are so ugly! What a shame!
    I think that I have the hang of it. How do you like me now?
  • benznutbenznut Posts: 104
    I think just the same. The standard wheels are too uglu and do not help very much with the appearance. They seem too overwhelmed by the benz's crb weight. Having planned to purchase a New generation S class in the near future, I am researching about how i can find an alternative to those ugly tires. I know it would be much better if I could find a set of tires that they use for the CL. They are 17", and would dramatically improve appearance without sacrificing ride comfort. My heart would tell me to get the crome AMG 220s, but there are two comcerns. The climate here, which has a lot of snow, and the broken pavement on the roads. Those rims would not las t a minute. Plus, I do not like to have wheels on my benz that do not have the MB star on the center
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner. I see that Tarik has done his usual great job at explaining things :-) Hope you can join us in tonight's MB chat!
  • taisontaison Posts: 71
    In my opinion, that's why I think the sport package is worth it. The rims that come with the sport package fit the car much better than the small 16" rims.

Click for a larger picture.
    How do you disengage or stop the navigational system once it is has started or when you no longer need it?
  • blehrlichblehrlich Posts: 92
    Just hit the Nav. button (next to the radio, telephone,cd buttons). The display will then say "navigation off".
  • dennettdennett Posts: 332
    Awesome car, I agree the wheels with the sport pac are SO much better looking than the standard wheels. Hey, how did you do the trick with your picture, the way you click it to view a larger image in a separate window? I haven't even seen Drew pull that little trick!! That's a challenge to you Drew!! LOL!
    Sure you have! The "click here" images for the Town Hall chat brake chat is done in the same way :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • dennettdennett Posts: 332
    How about posting the instructions for that type of picture link in the C class owner's group photo section. I'd like to try it, I'm sure Ian and maybe even Miki would as well ;-) Great MB Chat tonight!!! Thanks for hosting it, some of these lucky S class owners are going to have to start joining us!! Come on guys!
  • taisontaison Posts: 71
    This page here may be able to help with posting images.

http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu//General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPrimerP3.html#II

Can the cylinder cutout in teh S600 be disengaged?
    I mean, can the car be programmed to use all twelve clinders at all times, like (duh!) a V12 should?
    For those who have driven both the S55 and S600: which of the two would you choose, considering everything?
    Can you get Chrome 18 inch AMG wheels factory or retailer installed?
    Is the sport package of the S class the same way as the one for he CLK, in that it makes the cal feel flimsy? Or is it of better quality?

Thank you all
  • How long do you intend to own the car? Outside of warranty the S55 would probably be the better choice.

What are you after in one of these upscale models? Exclusivity abounds in either, but the S55 is the more sporting of the two, and the S600 is pure elegance and ultimate luxury.

You can get the chrome 220s installed by the dealer, although, on the S55 they are polished already and look pretty sharp (not plain silver like the sport package). As for the sport package, the panels are of the same quality as those found on the CLK, which is in my opinion not that bad.

As for the aversion to the cylinder cutout, I don't believe it can be disengaged. Interesting question though. I'm not sure what if any performance implications there are, although the 600 cars seem they could be a little faster off the line than they are. This feature coupled with the heavy weight could be reason? Would be interesting to find out how long this process takes to come on line after you drop the hammer. If it is negligible, then it may only represent an upside (efficiency) feature for you to consider. For tooling around town the 600 will feel a bit heavier also.

Good luck. Good dilemma to have I suppose...
  • pathdocpathdoc Posts: 126
    I am in the market for an S500 and would appreciate input regarding some of the options available. I am particularly interested in the Active Body Control( ABC). Since I enjoy spirited driving ,this sounds like a worthwhile option. I notice that it comes standard on the S600 and S55 AMG so any input from owners would be appreciated. Also since I live in the desert of S. Cal. I thought that the ventilated front seat option(S3) might be worthwile. Anyone with experience with this option?
    Finally I would be interested to know if anyone has had the dealer installed leather and wood trimmed steering wheel and if the wood matches the interior wood as well as the factory installed option. Thanks.
    Why would you want to disengage it? The switchover is not perceptible anyway, and the car saves up to 20% of fuel with the cylinders partially shut down. When you do need the power, the engine computer reactivates them seemlessly and immediately.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I currently own around a 4 week old Silver Designo S600. I considered the S55, but opted for the V12. The cylinder cutout as far as I can tell can not be turned off, but you can not tell the difference. What the guy at the dealer told me was that it only cuts out if you are cruising on the highway at a fairly constant speed. As soon as the car detects that you need more power, all 12 cylinders come back to life. Actually it is so undetectable, that you can't really even hear or feel a difference.

I would go for an S600 if you want the V12, but the S55 is one fine and quick car. The ABC is great, you should definetly get it especially if you like adjusting the car for different driving patterns.

The ventilated seats work great, although the fans aren't as powerful as I thought they would be. For pathdoc, if you live in a warmer climate, I would definetly get the ventilated seats. Actually, I recommend the 4-place seating with ventilated seats because you can treat everyone to even nicer seats.

I hope this will help everyone, and if you have any more specific questions about any of the features, please post them.
  • This is my first time purchasing a used vehicle. The Edmunds crowd has helped me quite a bit over the last few years with SUV's. I recently purchased a 96 S320. The owners maintained the car beautifully. 70k miles on it. I'm really curious if anyone has any feedback on the car. I realize the 320s have been discontinued. Thanks.
  • I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOME FEEDBACK ON A 1993 400 SEL MERCEDES BENZ S CLASS. THIS CAR HAS 134 K WHAT ARE THE LONG TERM MAINTENANCE?
    JAMES.
  • sshowittsshowitt Posts: 137
    Anyone interested in a discount extended M/B Premium warranty contact me and I will e-mail you the information. At the discounted pricing, it becomes a prudent option. Many C,CLK E,and ML owners have benefitted as well a myself. This is only good for original purchaser within one year of purchase.
    I read somewhere that the Mercedes will sometimes in the future put a bi-turbo V-12 on the S Class, that generates 500 horsepowers. Is it a real possibilit or just wishful thinking of some jornalist?
    It is a shame you can't have the leather dash and the extra wood optional in the S 500 or S55. That actually the reason I am considering the 600 over the 55 or even over the 500. But I guess this is the only way of making the 600 more appealing for the extra dough.
    Doesn't four place seating limit your hauling capacity to four? Why have that, when you can have power heated rear seats and still carry three people in the back?
  • pathdocpathdoc Posts: 126
    I am looking at a 2001 S500 and just drove a S500 with the sport package and Active Body Control (ABC). I thought the ride and handling were quite remarkable and no comparison with my previous 500sel. I would be interested in any comments regarding the ride and handling of the standard S500 with out the 18" wheels and/or ABC.The dealer doesn't currently have a standard S500 for me to compare.
    Thanks
    Let's face it, how many of you put 3 adults in the back of a luxury sedan on a regular basis. Even if it is a MB or BMW with "extra room", there is nothing like the "window" seats. Of course people with 3 kids or that need that extra seat, don't worry about the 4 Seat package and get the power rear seats.

The 4-Place seating package gives 4 dynamic multicontour seats, basically like the front seats, for all the passengers. Also it is something different that most people have not seen and they usually find it interesting. Add the ventilated seats and it is actually a very comfortable seat.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Posts: 278
    I think that that is a bit of a strech for MB to get a Bi-Turbo. Not saying that it isnt possible in the future, just not in the near fuuture. They just started using superchargers (C, CLK). They have never had turbos on their cars with the exception of the diesel.

One note to pass on is that the next generation of AMG engines will be supercharged. The reason is to make up for the three valves per cylinder and the longer stroke (which for MB purposes gets the ULEV designation. This is one reason that MB usually has more torque than HP, take a look at the MB v. BMW. This will give more competition.

Robert
  • blehrlichblehrlich Posts: 92
    I have an S500 without the sport pkg or ABC. Currently I am driving with the 18" staggered AMG wheel setup, but I got through the winter with 16' winter tires on stock oem wheels. The ability to change the suspension (two settings in addition to the normal setting)really makes the ride and handling great on any road type. I've never tried out the ABC, so I don't really miss it.

About This Chat:

Be our guest for an hour of Town Hall Chat Brake! Here is your chance to meet and greet other auto fans. This chat is for those of you who share similar interests, have questions and need answers, or simply want a place to discuss and debate your News and your Views of the auto industry. Bring your sense of humor and race on in to this NEW chat only on Edmunds.com!

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

• nkolenkole Posts: 18
    I've been trying for eight months to get a toddler BabySmart car seat and have gotten nothing but the run around from various dealers and more recently Mercedes Benz in New Jersey. The Mercedes hotline seems more like a Hyundai hotline than one from a company that sells $90K+ cars. These people have no concept of customer service. I bought an SL500 roadster only because I could cart my son back and forth to day care and not having ability will soon force me to buy another car. Has anyone else ran into this problem? My local dealer reports they get at least two calls a day from customers with this problem.