Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• I am interested in anyone who has owned or currently owns the previous s-500 series Benz, particularly a 1994.

Nearing 90,000 miles, I am interested in what problems you have encountered and that I should watch for.

Any advice on preventative maintanance?

Would you share, also, your personal reflections on the car.... pros and cons.

How long would you advise I keep the car?
    Any expierence?

Has anyone added an extended warrenty?
    Which company do you recommend?

Anything else ??

Admiring Benz owner !
  • The ABC suspension does not use the air-suspension components. The components are more like a standard suspension. Where the ABC suspension is really noticeable is in fast tight turns, it keeps the body more level.

Regarding the venitated seats, I experience the same in my CL500. I believe the way the seats are designed to work is that the air is actually pulled "into" the seat, and exhausted out the back vent, so you really won't feel a "whoosh" of air.
  • That's a great idea...plull the sweat through the seat fibers and stink up the joint. Oh well, who am I to question MBZ engineers.

I didn't get the option on my S500 but I hear from others that it does the job well. Let's follow up in a couple of years to see if these cars stink noticeably more.
  • After having my new S600 for a few days, the ventilated seats, I can hardly detect that it pulls air down. I don't think it is a very strong current at all. Therefore, I do not think it will smell, but time will tell.

I also wanted to know, has anyone driven in either a CL600 or CL55 AMG. I am considering either, but the dealer has not had one to test drive. I am looking for the performance as well as the luxury aspect. I have a CLK55 on order, so the high end performance is taken care of. If I could just get opinions between the two Cl's, either if you have driven one, or just are giving an opinion. It would be appreciated.
  • benznutbenznut Posts: 104
    I was under the impression that in the S Classes, the ABC is used in conjunction with the already great airmatic suspension, rather than with conventoinal springs and coils like in the CL. Because I read a review about the S55 which said that the "MB enineers didn't see it necessary to change the already excellent airmatic suspension...". The S 55 also has ABC as standard, so that is why I thought they are used together. Is this true? If not, is ride "creaminess" traded of for a more sporty feel of road connection but a more harsh ride?

Also, does the S600's 17 inch tire package seem more adequate to the power thatn did the 16 inchers in the 500. Or is it necessary to order the 18 inch wheel/tires to really corner with no tire squealing? I personally like the chrome AMG 220 from the tire rack, without the sport package.
    By the way, I am asking just out of curiosity, as it would be too hard for me to justify the premium over a s500 or even a S55 for a 600, despite the amasing power, the extra leather and that S600 badge on the trunk (amazing how a single number can add "value" to the car. I saw a grey one in the parking lot. It was easily recognizable from the badge (duh) and the wheels which are absolutely gorgeous. All of a sudden, it did not seem to me like the sedan a bluehaired grandmother would drive to the grocery store)
  • paulchiupaulchiu Posts: 378
    Is a New C class with the 349hp AMG engine in the works?

Would this be the fastest Benz then? Of course, not counting the SLR...
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    The new AMG tweaked C-class is the C32 AMG with a supercharged 3.2L V6 producing over 350hp, I believe. Not sure how fast it is though.

The C55 AMG was a very limited production run, and was only available in Germany. FYI, they also got a SL73 AMG. That's right, a massive 7.3L V12 engine!

BTW, how's the S? Haven't seen you posting much in here.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    Haven't had much chance driving the S lately. The weather's been bad and the ML's the better choice. So far, the S500 had live up to it's tradition. It's a pleasure starting that sweet engine.

I am planning to drive either down to Florida or out west to SF later this year. The wife thinks I am crazy though.
    In 2000, MBUSA sold 37,900 S class in the states. That's 1 per 7,400 people.
  • The sales stats are interesting, more than I would have thought, in fact isn't that more than the E?

As far as the long distance drive, the Mastercard commercial comes to mind with the familiar tag line "priceless". That would be a ball, but too expensive to me. I've figured that if I own the car for 4-5 years, averaging 12K/year, the car costs me about$1.25 per mile. To SF would be over $6K, and Florida about $3K roundtrip. Like I said, some things are priceless. As far as opportunity costs go, it would be cheaper to rent a huge RV probably.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    The S did good for 2000, but the E remains the most popular series in the U.S. The E is usually closer to 50K units a year.

M
    Here's the whole thing:

C: 389,400 (World) 65,300 (US)
    E: 246,900 49,600
    M: 105,700 52,800
    S: 108,400 37,900
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Are you sure about that number for the C-Class in the United States, that a pretty high number. Where did you get those numbers? If those are correct it will be the first time the C has outsold the E in the U.S. Interesting. Anyone know why the U.S. website stopped giving sales totals for each month.

M
    All numbers are from the Wall St Journal Monday. They were used to compare to BMW's figures. It appears that while the 3 series outsold the C class by 15-20%. MB sold a lot more S class than BMW with it's 7 series. Maybe that's why I see so many more S than 740's in NYC.
  • I have order a S430 that will arrive soon. I'm thinking about replacing the rims with Lowenhart rims. Any suggestions or comments about these rims or would you recommend something else. Please post as soon as possible.
  • ML, I considered the same rims. Lowenhart specializes in Lexus and BMW however. It is only a round piece of metal, but I personally prefer to stick with tuners of MBZ vehicles. MBZ tuners include AMG, Brabus, Carlsson, and Lorinser. There's a good wheel selection at http://www.tmengineering.net (in SoCal). If you like AMG, stick with http://www.tirerack.com .
  • Does anyone know if the S class 4matic will be available late this year as a 2002 model, or not until Sept. 2002 as a 2003 model?
    Haven't seen you around for a while. Unfortunately, it seems to be the latter...Not September, but late October/November 2002. This is with the case for all 4-matic MB cars (new C, new E, and the apparently facelifted S).

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • Thanks for that information Scargo it was very helpful, but I think that I will stick to my Lowenharts. Any more ideals, please let me know. Thanks
    Those of you living in or close to NY may be interested in Edmunds.com's NY editor contest.