Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Dag, we are on the same page on this W124 thing. I just never got over them being replaced. These cars defined what Mercedes is and what it should be. Around here the W124's I see running around look nearly new and the "newest" one is 5 years old. It's hard to preserve a car in climate here, but the W124's seem to last forever. I too would love a 500E or E500, but I need something new for the everyday haul. I'll probably get a C320, but if I could a 500E/E500 would be in the garage too. Are you going to make the 500E your daily driver?

M
    Mbnut,

Also, that doesn't bother you about going "back"
    some model years from your Audi to get a 500E?

M
  • alingaling Posts: 598
    FYI, the 500E was a superb and rare car that was built by Porsche in small quantities.

Check out this crash test video between the S-class and the MC Smart. The Smart did incredibly well, considering that the S-class outweighed it 2:1!! The S-class performed well, as expected. The domestic manufacturers should really learn from this. In this directory, also find Quicktime 40mph offset crash test/full width crash test video clips of the new C-class.

Go to: http://www.off-road.com/mbenz/videos

Comments?
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
    Actually, RWD is superior to FWD as far as acceleration goes. The reason is that when you step on the throttle pedal, some of the car's weight transfers to the back wheels. With RWD, this gives the rear wheels better traction. In contrast, the weight transfers away from the front wheels, and hence the drive wheels are easy to spin in a FWD car. This is even more obvious if you're trying to climb up a hill (from a dead stop) on a wet road.

Of course, the ultimate is full-time AWD/4WD. Just punch the gas pedal and leave the FWD & RWD cars behind! I always get a kick out of this when it is raining or snowing! :-)

Drew/aling
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    Watch out Drew! Someone is going to tell you off for stop light dragging.
    Nah, I accelerate about normal, something that other 2WD cars usually can't do when its wet. I often hear a lot of tire spin next to me (in the rain, that is). Even my AWD minivan will launch faster in the rain from the get-go than than most FWD or RWD cars. But, because it's only a full-time AWD setup (90% front/10% rear) and not a permanent AWD/4WD setup like the E or ML, I do feel just a little bit of wheel slippage initially.

Drew/aling
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Merc1,

I'm in a similar position as I wouldn't consider the 500E as a daily driver. It would be more of an fun car. This however would relegate me to something with lower operating costs for the daily commute. This concept gets traded against a new C240. The practical side of me which acknowledges that you can really drive the 500E over here leans toward the C240. I got more than my share of tickets with my 190e 2.6 5 spd.
    The A4 is a great car. Super handling, well balanced car but I prefer the comfort / smoothness of the new C.
    I just trying to figure out how to get this fun car (500E) into my budget, doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do it and get a new C320 all in the same year. Oh well...

M
  • ejerodejerod Posts: 86
    Ok guys and gals.. I went to view the new LS430 last night ( Lexus) and now I'm confused. I love the new S500 body styling, and I don't care for the LS430 body style ( 99 S class copy), but the interior and the luxury features on the new Lexus are absolutley drop dead gorgeous. TO get the same features in the new S500 will be 99750, I can get the LS430 loaded with everything including the kitchen sink for under 70k. Now guys I can afford both.. but 30 grand is 30 grand!!!.. I'll have to sleep on this one..like I said, the aggresive look of the S500 is what I love, but the interior is stark unless I step up to and I'm open for suggestions that can help me justify the additional 30k.. hell I may buy one now.. and in a year buy the other and have them both... Help..I've been bitten by the car bug!!!
    I guess it's going to come down what you really want. I would go for the S because of the looks and if you get it with ABC or Sports package, better handling. Truthfully the S500 isn't worth 30K more, but it is a better driving car. I don't know what else would brighten up the S interior, I don't see getting a 5K designo package. Take both cars out for an extended drive, like overnight if the dealer will let you.

M
    Why not get the S430 and then dress it up with the options that you want on the S500? The LS430 has the same engine displacement as the S430, so you could compare both of them, not necessarily with the more expensive (larger engine) S-class.

Drew/aling
  • LS 430 vs. S500

I can tell you I've thought it through and I know deep down I won't be happy with the Lexi. I agree the lux is extra special with the Lexus. But after you've made a few trips and acclimated to it, you still have to walk up to that drab, uninspired style of car every damn day. I see where you're coming from but think it through. A car is an extension of your personality and if you don't like the style, well, what can I say?

Good luck!
  • paulchiupaulchiu Posts: 378
    It's now one month since I bought my 2001 S500, and I am still making unnecessary trips to my garage whenever I can. Like driving 10 miles to the mall for baby formulae and diapers.

I lust for the creamy ride, the powerful thrust, the instant 40-80mph acceleration (much like my past sports cars days...), the 'excuse-me, I don't think you're passing me.....quick maneuvers, the sound system, the 'is that your car remarks, the massaging and drying seats, and everything else that are impossible to discribed but yet combine to make this Benz the best car in the world.

As for the LS430; it's a fabulous car. Quiet, smooth, almost as creamy ride as the S, with a killer sound system. BUT, as a package, it's more like it's ES and GS siblings than the class of S.

I spend nearly a year testing everything before buying my S, with the ABC (it's great, and can be driven like a Porsche or AMG-E55), the radar, the parktronics, the seats, the gadgets in the back, totalling over 93,500. At this price, it's over 27,000 more than the equally loaded LS430. But the LS lacks style, and the spirit of a racing champion that is the house of Mercedes-Benz.

So, after 880 miles, I am still as crazy about my S as ever. NO let-down after the 'first time'!!!!

Why, I even use Meguiers' quick detailer wax spray everytime before drive, so the Joe in the BMWs and Lexus can salivate some more,...

Imagine what's in their minds. 'hmmmm why didn't I spend that extra 25K..... it's just a couple of up-ticks in my JDSU stock.
    Did you have a chance to look at the crash test video clips that I posted? There's one of the S-class: www.off-road.com/mbenz/videos

Enjoy!
    Drew/aling

P.S. Great to hear that you're having so much fun with your car. I think you made the right choice going for the S rather than the E55. :-)
    Why are some posts missing here:

ex: post #48 ???????
    Oh, I made a typo and scribbled it. :-)

Drew/aling
    Yes Drew,

I saw that scary crash...
    The Smart is even smaller than the A-class. MB owns the company that makes the Smart though.

The Smart did amazingly well for such a small car. Even more incredible was that the S-class was more than 2 times heavier that the Smart. But, we have to remember that the S-class is not simply any car either. It was designed to draw away some of the impact forces from the other car so that the other cars' occupants don't get injured either. The M-class was designed with this in mind as well.

Drew/aling
    3 years ago, when I was losing some hair over what to buy in an SUV. It did come down to the point you raised, DREW.

I wanted really big SUV, like the Navigator. But I did not have the conscience to literally, drive the rig over smaller cars. So, I went with the car-friendly M-Class.
    Do you still have the ML? I've never seen you posting in the M-class topic (not recently anyway). One day I hope to be able to park an S430 4-matic next to my ML320 :-)
  • pathdocpathdoc Posts: 126
    I would be interested in hearing from 2000/2001 S class owners re the reliability of the new model and the Mercedes service experience. I have owned numerous MBs since 1979 . I started with a 450 SEL and progressed thru 560 SECs, 560SL, 500 SL, and a 500SEL most of which I've kept. I also belong to the Mercdes Benz Club of America. All was relatively well until I bought a 1999 ML430.During the first year I had nothing but troubles with the vehicle. What was worse was the dealer service and attitude. When I insisted on a loaner car I was referred to a low end rental agency. My employees who owned lexuses were given a lexus to drive.
    I am now considering a LS 430 and drove one last week and was favorably impressed although to my recallection the MB S500 was more sporting(I drove it when it first came out).
    I would also be interested in the lease rates for the S500 since although the Lexus is considerably less expensive I think the residual is much lower than the Mercedes and thus the payments may be less.
    Thanks
  • pathdocpathdoc Posts: 126
    I would be interested in hearing from 2000/2001 S class owners re the reliability of the new model and the Mercedes service experience. I have owned numerous MBs since 1979 . I started with a 450 SEL and progressed thru 560 SECs, 560SL, 500 SL, and a 500SEL most of which I've kept. I also belong to the Mercdes Benz Club of America. All was relatively well until I bought a 1999 ML430.During the first year I had nothing but troubles with the vehicle. What was worse was the dealer service and attitude. When I insisted on a loaner car I was referred to a low end rental agency. My employees who owned lexuses were given a lexus to drive.
    I am now considering a LS 430 and drove one last week and was favorably impressed although to my recallection the MB S500 was more sporting(I drove it when it first came out).
    I would also be interested in the lease rates for the S500 since although the Lexus is considerably less expensive I think the residual is much lower than the Mercedes and thus the payments may be less.
    Thanks
  • im going to keep this message short and simple . about 80% of you people in this discussion board are liars . you all pretend to have these cars but you dont . stop lying ......who are you tring to impress anyway . why don't you stop that and let the REAL people who actually have this car do the talking .
    p.s. aling don't erase this message
  • ataieataie Posts: 84
    C280 is about $2000 more, but everything is the same........ which one should I consider fellows???
    In response to all the people who replied to my dillema of deciding between the S500 and the LS430. Thank you. You're right, I've thought it through and deep down in side I know I won't be happy with the LS430. I already own the Lexus GS300 that I bought for my wife 2 years ago. Now that car I'm thrilled with. For the life of me I don't know why lexus decided to tone down the styling of the flagship after introducing the new GS and the coming 2001 SC coupe. Apparently the design team leader got sick for a few months and some rookies took over. At any rate, I'm going to wait til Jan and order the S. Yeah it's more money, but I love the agressive styling, especially with the AMG Sport package.. thanks guys and gals...
  • is4b2rdis4b2rd Posts: 66
    Great decision to get the MB. I have to say, if you are an MB person, then a Lexus, no matter how much sense it makes from a financial point, you just won't be happy. I stopped by to look at the LS, expecting to be wowed after the reports I read. When I sat inside, it was just a Japanese luxury vehicle to me. I guess I need that sense of automotive history behind a marque.

One question though, why wait until January. You really should go ahead and get your order in now because there is a wait for the car.
  • As one who does not own MB, but who lurks in this topic because I find it (Normally) quite interesting, where did this guy come from?
    Sometimes, some people go too far; One can only hope that the next time, they'll stay there!
    I am beginning to get some noise from the ignition switch area; or the steering wheel assembly in my new 2001 S500. This only occurs in very rough New York roads. The funny thing is that it only occurs during the evenings when I am driving home after dinner; alas with friends.

This mild noise seems to annoy only me, since my wife seemed to not have noticed at all....

Any experience here from anyone? (not you; Mr plat-1, from Malaysia....)

Thanks
    You're right. I know that the saleswoman told me that there was a 5 month wait. Forgot about that. I've had such a time trying to make up my mind. The Lexus interior is gorgeous. Honestly the interior of the Lexus far exceeds what the S class has to offer unless you go with a designo or step up to the S600. They have enough wood in that thing to build a small motor yacht ! But the MB has the styling, the mystique, and I can add the wood/leather steering wheel for about a grand or so. That's enough wood for me. I want the styling, the classic lines, and yes the stares as I drive lol. Now.. to decide whether to buy outright or lease......
    Hi Paul,

I know that there was a Technical Service Bulletin regarding a steering angle harness modification for the '00 S-class. Perhaps this is somehow related? Have a look here:
    http://www.alldata.com/TSB/35/0035AO92.html

Recommend that you take it in and have them look at it at your convenience. Best of luck!
    Drew/aling
This discussion has been closed.