Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• Thanks!!!!!!! I agree with you 100%. I would had rather brought the cds up front then to be nickel and dime to death!
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Posts: 278
    Did it have the Eyes of the CL? or the standard S-Class Eyes?

IT could have been the Brabus Version of the S-Class.
  • benznutbenznut Posts: 104
    It had the standard S class eyes, which in my opinion are far better than anything else mercedes has. It was not a Brabus model, hence the normal badge S 500. Also, it had no sport package at all, just the standard S class trim. One thing I noticed was that it had extensive wood treatment (burl walnut, with a black interior) in the center console, armrest, steering wheel and cupholders. The interior was absolutely gorgeous.
    The grill, i have to say was unique, in that it made the Benz sedan look like a coupe. The standard S class grille with the 4 inch star in the middle looked as if factory-made, and looked extremely nice. I only wish the three pointed star was a little bigger. Atop the grille, where the traditional star usually sits, was just the mercedes emblem that you would find in the same spot at the CL coupe, since the stick-up star was deleted. The tires were chrome, AMG i believe, thin five spoke, really huge, with very low profile tires. While the tires looked the nicest I ad ever seen, I am doubtful as to the sacrifice in the ride.
  • Mercedes claims they have a new type of filter for the A/C. They put this new filter in my S430 on Fri. Oct.5. My car has been ODOR FREE since that time!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!
  • Vinegar smell is back. Well, I had 6 nice days of fresh smelling a/c. Will continue to look for a solution!
  • sshowittsshowitt Posts: 137
    My sister is looking for a 2000/01 S class sedan with low mileage in either the NYC area or the Palm Beach area, any leads, please feel free to e-mail me with the information, i.e. pricing, mileage, colors, 430/500 options and pricings.
    Thanks Steven
    The new 7 from BMW looks appealing with all the innovations, and other than the rear end, the styling really grows on you. however, nothing is going to make me get over the S-class sedan. The Benz is just too beautiful of a car, top notch comfort, sporty and innovaative. My favorite if money was no object: S600!!!
    I have recently read that the V12 in the new SL 600 that will come in about a year will have 406 hp instead of the current 362. I take this power bump will apply to the rest, so the S600 and CL600 will also have that much power. Is there anything in the press that can confirm this? This certainly would make good sense, with the BMW 760iL having 408 hp. When would this update take place?
    Waiting for responses, Thank you!
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well Mercedes' engine plans aren't clear to me anymore. They used to follow a very strict and logical progression. Now I don't know. They have a new 6.3L version of the new V12 that develops 440hp, but that still doesn't touch the new 476hp of the 5.5L Supercharged V8. It has been confirmed that new AMG V12 will be installed in the CL and S cars to make the CL63 and S63. Nobody knows if they'll replace the regular "600" version of these cars or will they sit atop the S and CL range? Assuming the S55 and CL55 don't get the new supercharged version of the V8 they already have. It's a big mystery right now. I do like all these new engines though. The current 600 and 55 cars are too close in power right now anyway.

M
    I doubt the S/Cl63 will replace the 600s in the flagship positions. As refined as these engines may be, they still are "tweaked", which menas that they are probably not as smooth and quiet as the regual V12. I doubt MB will want to take those attributes away from its flagships. They might offer them like the 55s, as a performance version. Therefore, I do not think the supercharged version of the AMG V8 will find its way in these models.
    However, as you said, there is no way to understand what they are thinking. They might have the 63s as "special" models which may be offered just to high heeled buyers in europe.
    They probably will just offer them in Europe which is a shame. We've been cheated before. The C55, SL73, and E55 Wagon. The SL73 being a real monster. I just wish their engine plans were clearer, but I guess Benz fans will just have to wait and see. Anyone know when the next generation of direct-injection gasoline engine willl appear?

M
    SL73AMG was a massaged 4-valces-per-cylinder v12 cranking out 500hp. It sprinted the old SL from
    0-60 mph in 4.7 sec (Auto, Motor und Sport, August 2000). The superchrged V8 of the SL55 AMG that will be offered here Will not lack anything in performance, if not exceed it hence the more advanced chasis.
    As far as a SL63Kompressor goes, should they be in the mood enough to make, that would be a real monster, that would have the Maranelos, and Vipers for lunch any time
    Yep I guess we can always wish huh? The SL73 caused hysteria when I first read about it. I just wish MBUSA had been a little more open minded about the car. Now if I could just find a 1994 E500 in perfect shape......

M
  • With the downturn in the economy, I have decided not to purchase next year the 760, but instead sell my M3, and cancel the 760 order, but keep my S-class. I have a rare oportunity at the Porsche dealer to recieve in a few months a brand new 911 GT2 which I could not pass up. So I will now have the S600 and GT2 which should provide for the "best" of both worlds. I am waiting to see what the redesigned 2003 S Class looks like, but I will most likely not get it, but instead go for the 2004 model unless some great deal passes me by.
  • Has anyone had the problem with the cd player starting over every time the car is turned off. I would appreciate what was done to correct the problem.
  • jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    Anyone know of the changes coming this summer (2002) to the mid cycle update of the S-class? One UK auto mag says a redesigned front and completely new tail light design as well as interior changes and trims. Finally perhaps a new engine in Europe...Any info would be great.
  • Have you considered a Brabus Smart car to compliment your fine selection of cars?

Definatly a fun cheap (looking at it in one way) car!

r
    Does a similar site exists for movies where Mercedes cars are featured? I am dissappointed that Mercedes affiliates have not thought of this, because it would help very much. After watching these movies in internet, I am kind of growing more fond of BMW cars than I ever thought I could be (and this pains me a lot, since I have been since I started appreciating cars, and continue to be, a die hard MB fan). But I have realized that, except the top of the line, BMW cars prove to be more attractive as an overall car than comparable MBs, e.g. 3 series vs C-class or 5 series vs. E-class (I hope the latter will change after the E redesign coming soon).
    Somehow, these BMW have made it in my list of preferred cars, which was previously dominated almost excluisvely by MB. I know I would never exchange the CLK for a 3 series coupe, is it is far better, even now in my mind, but I would take a 3 series sedan over a c-class with little doubt. Again, I never thought the day would come.
    So, Mercedes, show us what your cars are really capable of in a website named, lets say, www.mercedesfilms.com, where we can see some AMG products kicking some chasing terrorists' buts
  • I do not think I will go for anything more right now, unless the market turns around and I have that "play" money for cars, otherwise I will "just" have to stick with what I have...LOL

Also, I really think Mercedes should do something like what BMW did with the BMW Films, or something else, but I do think those films are really well made.
  • just traded the '00 E430W4 for a beautiful black/charcoal '01 S430...wondering what to expect in wintertime.

hey Drew, long time no chat...this is off topic but my wife just told me about a fun offroading experience in the ML this summer...when picking up kid from girl scout camp she went down a "road" to where the girls were and when she got to the bottom the people were like *You DROVE down here #?#?!@ What are you, crazy?" She picked up our daughter, hit Low Range, and drove right back up this dirt hill...said it was no big deal. Rock on MB!
  • In the coming months I plan to purchase a '00 or '01 S 430. I've tried to do my homework (reading the boards, the mercedes web site, car show, magazine reviews) and have no fear of negotiation. I've monitored the Starmark inventory within 100 miles of Boston to no avail. I'm looking for a special order color (Midnight Blue). At this point my best course of action seems to involve having a dealer shop the Florida auctions for a matching spec car coming off lease. My gut tells me there has to be a cheaper and more efficient way to nab one of these cars but I'm not aware of it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
  • there are a lot of deals out there...e-mail a number of dealers esp in the midwest (chicago, st. louis, michigan). The S430's a fantastic car. JMHO, you will probably find any '00 or '01 coming off lease to have a ton of miles - the low mile lease W220's aren't coming in yet. Might be better off searching for a screaming end of year deal on a new or demo '01. Admittedly you'll be hard pressed to find that specific color, but if you have some flexibility you may find a deal you can't pass up as I did. E-mail me offline if you want to talk details.
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    Is Midnight Blue the non-meteliac paint that is standard on the lesser cars? If so,it will be fairly rare. Or is it called Black Opal,a very pretty dark navy blue that currently carries the $1,000 surcharge? If so,it,too, should be fairly rare.
    If you want to buy a S430 at an attractive price,I would think you would want one one of the most common colors-you'll have more dealing leverage.
    Typically,I see the S in silver,Desert Sand,black,and the metallic very dark grey/black.
  • Thanks for the input midwestmb and merckx. I really want the dark blue...admittedly, I'll lose some leverage. Haven't yet seen the Black Opal up close. It looks like I'm starting at 65K for a '01... minimal options (headlights and heated seats only) with 5-15K miles...a bit more for a Starmark.

Midnight Blue is a special order metallic paint that carries the surcharge as I understand it.

It's a great time to buy a used car in MA. Everyone here is waiting for a governor-sponsored tax free shopping week (including cars) that will probably not materialize due to a brain dead legislature. The good news is that the dealerships are empty as everyone waits to buy, and the used cars are piling up...albeit the GM's and Chryslers, but to a lesser degree the higher end sedans. The end of December might be a good time to strike a deal. Thoughts?
  • 65k for an '01 S430 with xenons and heated seats and very low miles sounds like a reasonable deal. I leased a new one with xenons, f/r heated seats, and side window shades in Oct and the cap cost (=selling price) was around $68k. When a local, temporary sales lull like what you're describing happens (especially at the end of the year), that's when you get deals on MBs. The dealers have a strong incentive to make unit numbers (on new cars) and get inventory off the books (used) before year end.

BTW what a dumb legislature...let's stimulate spending by having a tax-free week...oh wait, let's just announce the idea then argue over it...meanwhile all major purchases CEASE as people (naturally) wait to see if the duty free period is going to happen...keep govt out of economics.
  • ejerodejerod Posts: 86
    I haven't posted for a while. I still have my 01 S500. Minimal problems to report. A tail lamp keeps going out so they finally ordered a new tail light assembly. A good friend of mine is trading in his 01 S430 for a new 02 E430. He just wasn't comfortable with all the high tech gagetry. I for one love this car. What's next ? Well I'll wait til 03 and pick up an SLR and/or a Maybach... Have fun and be safe people...
    Must be nice......

M
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,595
    looking for sum input on the clk 430 coupe.this will be my first benz.dont really know anyone who has a clk 430.Could somebody tell me if the body style is changing for 2003.on price, are they getting msrp,i never bought a new car for more than 500 over invoice. i read the reviewson the bmw 330 ci gets a great write up.dont know if i want to drop 55 grand on the clk 430 when the bmw330 ci might be all that for under 40 grand. thanks to all who respond.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    Anyone have any info on the updated 2003 S-class regarding style changes or new models?? I am thinking the current model will be a great deal to buy used with the changes in the new model and the slower economy.
    I haven't come accross any piece of information regarding the facelifted S-Class. If anyone has any idea or knows any website where I can go, please let me know. Thank you in advance