Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    "Lexus: Somewhat higher price, highest reliability
    Cadillac: Lowest price, somewhat lower reliability
    S-Class: Highest price, lowest reliability"

When are you going to take into account that the LS430 and S-Class are far more advanced cars than the King of fleet sales, Livery/hearse favorite DeVille? The difference in reliability between the S and DeVille isn't anywhere near enough to make many switch to a Cadillac.

Funny how you'd holding up Lexus when they're eating Cadillac alive and the ES300 is steady gaining on the DeVille for that number one sales spot.

M
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Posts: 363
    before your usernames are deleted
  • benznutbenznut Posts: 104
    This should not be going on any further. You are making my visits here at townhall unpleasant. I see all these unread messages in my favorite topic, and there it is markhampton vs. merc1 round no. 999.
    Guys, put a lid to it, will you?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    If they don't stop it, I will - any more posts in that vein will be removed.

No more parting shots, last words, final explanations, rebuttals - no message whatsoever posted in this manner will remain in this discussion. If anyone sees such, drop me an email - I can't promise instant response, but I *can* promise that I will make getting here my top priority.

And you would help me if you don't respond, because I'll just have to remove your responses also.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • mlbarnesmlbarnes Posts: 48
    Has anyone figure out the problem with the cd player constantly starting over?
  • jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    For those interested here is a link to some further 2005 S-class info (car arriving summer/fall 2004) I find it interesting to read and although this is early info, MBspy is good. Some BMW 745i like devices are coming. Nokia is designing a COMAND system with i-Drive like controls, a click and scroll based control system. Say goodbye to Motorola phones (thank god) and the elimination of the transmission center gear lever. Like the 7 series it will be a steering wheel stalk device. Night vision in the mirror and console is something I think is technical overkill. Interesting though. Any comments after reading this?

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/w221.htm

• ljflxljflx Posts: 4,682
    Glad to see a bigger grille. The small grille on the current car is a turn-off to me. The current design is too elegant and too big for such a small grille. I wonder if MB is going to cow-tow too much to the Maybach based on the story. Would be a huge mistake IMO given the competitive nature of the class the S plays in.
    ... seems to be even more of a "monster" than the newly developed SL55. Rumors circulate that the SL55 has been recalled slightly after the deliveries began in Europe, in order to be tuned up to 500 hp. Reason? The new E55 is proving faster and quicker in the testings, due to the lighter weight and the lower drag coefficient! Now, keep in mind that the SL was tested at 4.4s from 0-100kmh, and with a top speed of 208mph. And, who knows, they may be able to make tires for the weight of the new E, so that it can perform in these speeds when unlimited.
    I like the new design that is showed in the above link, especially the Blue example. The longer wheelbase combined with shorter overhangs is pleasing to the eye, overall. However, I hope that Mercedes does not take any radical steps in design like BMW did with the 7 series. The current S is easily one of the most beautiful designs currently in existence, and the next generation should continue the trend further (not necessarily devoid of needed changes).
    What is up with the tranmission stalk at the back of the steering wheel, ala-new-seven? Mercedes does not need to copy BMW in anything. I like the gated shifter of the current car. I cannot say the same about the leather-booted ones in the new editions of SL, and E. I know that MB is trying to looks sportier by resembling a manual transmission. However, the esposed-gate-shifters are classier in my opinion (think Ferrari manuals)
    Anyway, isn't the new S coming a little too soon? 2005? The facelifted S will come at 2003.
    I am pretty sure that Mercedes in the next S-class and BMW in the 745 are, and have moved the shifter to a stalk on the steering column to make room for a much larger center arm rest/storage console. This design allow both a phone cradle and plenty of interior storage as well as the advantage of a large rest or both front passenger arms. A German auto magazine getting some inside design info also says the MB front seat controls will be on the new center arm rest sides facing the respective seats.
  • fwoods2fwoods2 Posts: 1
    Have the dealer check the battery. My S500 had a bad cell in the battery but overall car ran fine. When dealer replaced battery problem disappeared.
    ...or how it measures up to an F1 car?

go to this link and choose you video format

http://germancarfans.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=38

I knew it would happen, I predicted it in 2000!!! Mercedes-AMG is building a limited run of 2003 CL55 AMG Cabrios, at 132K a piece. Mercedes has not ruled out having the CL Cabrio as a regular model in the MB lineup. Autoweek May 13th, issue.

M
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Posts: 363
    it sounds cool, but I would never go as far as say it would be a regular model in the lineup. They would sell what, maybe 10 a month?
  • jenehowardjenehoward Posts: 2
    I live in SF Bay area. Can anyone who has S240/320
    share how much paid for major maintainence(15k/30k
    miles)? And how about the dealership's attitude?
    Thanks.
  • jenehowardjenehoward Posts: 2
    Sorry I meant C240/320.
    Volume doesn't come into play with the CL coupes anyway. They're still the rarest of Benzes. I was starting to question whether or not they actually existed a little while ago, but they're out there.

M
  • pwaspwas Posts: 34
    Im in the market for a used S class Mercedes. Or the Lexus LS400 (98-99). How reliable are the S Class mercedes and which is a better choice S320 or the S420? How is the cost of maintenance on the Mercedes using a good repair shop other than the dealer? You can also email your input and opinions. pwas1@msn.com
  • v12powerv12power Posts: 174
    Looks like you have narrowed your search nicely. 98-99 Ls400 and 320-420 S-Class cars all seem to be in the $30k range. I think your choice will have to be based on your priorities. The W140 S-Class cars are quite reliable in the later production run. There were some issues early '92-94 with AC and front suspension shimmy. They were long since corrected by '98-99. The Mercedes is really a tank. That model was one of the last "overbuilt" Mecedes.

If you want the ultimate in trouble free motoring and are willing to take a little less car the Lexus is surely the ticket. If you want a true dreadnought, buy the S420 or even a 500 if you find a nice one. You very likely will have a few more service visits in the S-Class but, it is by no means a car that requires constant attention. That has been badly overblown, mostly by Lexus owners.

IMO the Mercedes is a better car. Pick one up from a dealer with the "Starmark" extended factory warranty and enjoy the worlds best engineered sedan.

Or buy the LS400, certainly the most trouble free sedan, and a very nice car. It is just a little bland by comparison. It all depends on where your priorities lie.
  • linardlinard Posts: 59
    I agree with v12power, the Benz may require more visits to the repair shop over a period of years, but in the end, if you're looking for what was arguably one of the best engineered cars out there, the Benz is the better choice. From what I've seen and what my mechanic says, the Benzes are more durable while the Lexuses are more reliable. I can vouch for that, our friend has a 1989 300SDL with over 600,000 miles, he's finally starting to have internal work on the engine but other than a severely sand-blasted front end, the car looks much younger than it really is. My mom was also looking to trade in her 1987 420 SEL with a 1997 S420 and I have to admit, it was side by side with an LS420 and the solidity of the Benz was overwhelming compared to the Lexus in the way the doors shut and felt, although both were and still are very nice cars. In the end, pwas, you can't go wrong...
    I am interested in getting an E500. I posted a question about 2003 order/delivery times in that thread. I currently have a 2000 S500 and really like it but want more of a drivers car next. I refuse to keep these cars past the inital warranty period. Imagine when the electronics wear out and, for example, the instrument gauges go. Can you say thou$ands just to return your speedometer and tach. Anyways, my question is do any of you MB followers know if for the 2003 S-Class update they are going to drop the S430. The CLK430 and E430 are gone in the redesigned models. Does this mean the S will be the S500 S55 and S600 only until the totally new model comes in 2005? Anyone know. My dealer sure doesn't.
    Well lets see...no other MB's will use the 4.3L V8 after 2002, so on that count I would say the S430 is dead. Mercedes usually doesn't produce one specific engine for any of it's cars. They always spread an engine out over several model lines. However if they S500 is going to become the "entry-level" S-Class then a price reduction is in order. The problem here is that MB is running a little behind with their next generation of engines. There should be a S450 with 315hp and a S530 with about 360hp, but that isn't going to happen. I've seen where the face-lifted S is set to debut at Paris in the fall, but if thats the case the U.S. won't see the car until early 2003, most likely spring 2003...thus it will be a "2004" model, which will have a short life because a totally new S is due for the 2006 model year in the U.S. I can't see Mercedes surrendering the market to Lexus and BMW. I say they'll keep the S430 around for the duration of the current S' life. Come to think of it they built the old S320 (with the inline 6) for a while after the new "V6" engines came out, so they have built a model with a lone engine before.

M
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Good save. I was going to correct your lone engine theory. A '99 S320 is an intriguing automoble as it is true one of the last classic Benz sedans.
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    Several hundred posts ago, there was a request on how to fix a smelly A/C. There is a product called DWD2 that may fix this problem. I've seen it advertised in magazines (C&D?) and was tested on MotorWeek (PBS) a long time ago. I believe they got good results. It doesn't hide the odor but removes it by cleaning the evaporator system. I posted the URL for more info.

http://www.dwd2.com/Products/products2.html

Yep, yep I thought about it mid-ramble. Actually they built the SL600 with it's "old" 48V DOHC V12 a long time too with it being the only MB to have that engine. The "new" V12 came out in 2001. So the S430 has a chance because for one it's not a seperate, entirely different engine like the S320 and SL600 were, its the same engine, just of a different displacement.

M
    Mercedes S500 outaccelerated and outmaneuvered the BMW 745i in a recent TopGear comparison. They said that the merc was more of a driver's car. Not good for BMW, especially considering that the Bimmer had 19in wheels with performance tires and 333hp (european version), whereas the S500 was down 27hp and had the "handicapping" standard 16 inch wheels with all-season tires. Also to note was the fact that the MB did not have ABC, whereas BMW had the new semiactive system. How is that for a lack in power?!
  • Could you give me the URL for the Top Gear comparison? I am not able to find the comparison at http://www.topgear.beeb.com .
    Some uncivil, argumentative messages - and responses to same - have been removed.

It is possible to disagree AGREEABLY. It is possible to hold civil debates about perceptions, beliefs and facts without calling names and/or denigrating each other in any way.

In fact, your Membership Agreement requires that you do just that.

Thank you.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    MBUSA's website is hinting that there is an "addition" to the S-Class for 2003. I wonder what that could be. Anyone have any info on the 2003 S?

M