Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• jss1951jss1951 Posts: 3
    How much ride difference is there between the 18" AMG rims and the standard rims on the S-Class. Mercedes literature mentions increased noise and a harder ride. I am wondering if this is a significant difference in either category. Thank you for your responses.
  • I want to have the windows tinted on my S500 and I've read here about the precautions that must be taken to prevent water from running into the power window and seat control modules during installation of the tinting.

But one thing more I'm concerned about is gradual scratching of the tint material itself. My M-B dealer says that the tolerances on the S Class window seals are so tight that there's no point in tinting the windows. The tinting film will quickly end up scratched from the mere act of raising and lowering the windows.

But it seems to me that there is no shortage of S Class owners whose cars have tinted windows here in Manhattan, let alone in warmer climates. So, does the dealer know something they don't?

Anyone with any first hand experience in this matter?

Thanks.
  • jss1951,

I have the AMG sports package with the 18 inch rims on my car.

The difference in ride quality and harshness is significant if you live in a typical big city with rough road surfaces like New York. But if you drive mostly on better maintained suburban roads and highways, then the harshness added by the 18 inch wheels and low profile tires (it's the tires that are really the culprit) is minor and well, well worth the trade off.

A partial solution if your driving consists of lots of pock-marked inner city thoroughfares, is to take down the low profile rear tire pressures by 4 to 6 pounds. This will significantly improve ride quality at the expenses of a bit more tire wear, and a little less precision in the handling -- though I doubt the average driver would ever notice. No need to reduce the fronts as it's the rears that contribute most to our perceptions of the car's ride quality.

The factory recommendations are simply a good compromise and I've read more than one article suggesting that taking down the pressures in the rears is a good option. You'll save wear and tear on the suspension components, too.

BUT please note that if you intend to go for a top speed run somewhere, or you often attain speeds exceeding 100 MPH on your daily commute, stick to the factory recomendatons, or go even a bit higher. And whatever you do, keep a watchful eye on those pressures (or get the usefull optional dashboard tire pressure monitoring system, as I did). You obviously have less margin for error with reduced pressures. You probably won't roll the thing (it's not an SUV, after all). But you may be in for quite a surprise when you agressively hit that on ramp if for some reason the pressure in one of the rear tires has dropped. The tail of the car may step out on you quite forcefully and you'll have to be quick to catch it (or hopefully the ESP will do the work for you).
  • v12powerv12power Posts: 174
    I have Brabus 20" rims and 35 series tires on my S. The tires (Dunlop SP9000) do make more noise, typical of most performance tires. The ride as suggested above is just fine. I would not run such low profile tires in a place like NYC though.

The window tinting should be just fine, unless you are in the habit of openeing and closing windows all of the time. My 7 series BMW has had tinted windows for over a year with no scratches, haven't done the MB yet. One concern is that, if you choose a tint that is metallic, you may disrupt the AM radio reception. The SoCal dealer I bought the S from told me many customers have tinted the windows with no adverse effects.
  • tiger40tiger40 Posts: 10
    Am I the only one that has experience squeaky noisy brakes on the new S Class. I have a 01 S430 and the brakes started making noise at 10K miles and I bought it in and they said that the pads were made out of a metal alloy and do that. That's funny...the Hyundia or Kia does not do that until it needs new pads. Why do we settle for such things on a $80k vehicle!!!

I have now bought it to the dealer 5 times for the same thing....noisy brakes...each time they spray something on them and even put a Band-Aid (brake silencer) on them....but after about 4K miles...they are making noise again....the final straw was the navigation was not working so I bought it in and they had to replace the entire unit $6400 (thank goodness for the 4yr/50K). Then they tried to charge me $300 to again make the brakes stop making noise. I have over half the pad left!! Sorry just venting.....next time....I will strongly consider BMW or Lexus
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    Tiger40... You could probably trade for a Lexus LS430, leave the showroom with what could be the best 4 door sedan in the world, and a check left over of about 10 or 15 thousand dollars.WOW.
  • v12powerv12power Posts: 174
    Noisy brakes can often be cured by the driver changing braking habits. What you are experiencing is a glaze building up on the rotors causing the noise. You need to go out and make a HARD stop from about 70 mph when the noise starts to return. Heat them up real good, that should help.

Regarding Hyundai and Kia, do they offer a braking system capable of stopping a 4500 lb sedan from 70 mph in under 170 feet? Your car was designed with tons of reserve braking power. The dealer should be able to address this better. Threaten to contact MBUSA if they can not satisfy your needs. Buying BMW will not alleviate this, they are engineered in a similar fashion. The Lexus will be quiet, but ugly.
  • benzamsbenzams Posts: 10
    Hi. I'm new here. But listen; I just bought a 2002 S430 yesterday (at 10:12 AM) at Laguna Niguel Mercedes Benz, and when I drove my black outside on charcoal beauty into the driveway, i wanted to lock the doors from the key. It wouldn't lock! So i tried from the inside. Would not lock. This is the worst part: I tried to pop open my trunk. and it wouldn't open! So, I was stuck for an hour at 1 800 FOR MERCEDES, and they couldn't find the problem at first. they sent a technician over and told me that the pump for the locking system was broken. That meant no opening trunk, locking doors, and power door closers. THEY HAVE TO CUT OPEN THE TRUNK, AND if that doesn;t work, they have to take apart the ENTIRE CAR because some wires may have been disconnected. ALL THIS WITHIN 3 HOURS OF PICKING UP MY NEW S430 AT THE DEALERSHIP. I hope other S-class owners had a better experience that I did, although i heard that 2000 model year was bad too.
    I truly want to believe that the above message is an April Fools Joke....but based on my experience with the S430.....I don't think it is a joke.

My advice is that this is an omen of things to come....ask the dealer that you would like to try to change cars (not sure if they will go for this)...but if they do...trust that the wait will be worth it!!
    Well, that is very nice to know that I am not the only one to experience this. I really think that the Mercedes COMMAND system/ Navigaiton system itself is really complicated. Even the lower-priced LS430 has a touch screen display that is way much easier to operate than the S-class'. They need to redesign that completely. By the way, has anyone seen the 2003 S-class with the "facelift"?
  • acuraguyacuraguy Posts: 1
    Hi,

I was wondering if any of you veterans would be kind enough to offer advice on my planned MBZ purchase. It's a '99 S500 with 63k miles for $38,500. I have a chance to buy it from a guy before he trades it in to the dealer.

My concerns are:
    -How reliable is this car? Any common problems to watch out for?
    -What do you think of 63k mi? I drive about 30K/yr...so when I sell it in 2-3 years, it will be even more high mileage. Will this thing be hard to resell?

I love this car, but I'm concerned repairs and maintenance will eat me up. What is your opinion?

Cheers!!
    Hi Acuraguy......I am happy that your looking at the MBZ! However, the factory warranty is up on this vehicle and I think the maintenance and repair will be problematic.....just a felling based on my experience with S430. If possible...I would consider stretching your budget and opting for the new '03 E320. you will get free maintenance and repairs for 4yrs/50K miles. If you look at it this way...the difference between what you will pay for the '98 S500 and a new e320 will be about $17K. Over the course of 50k miles or 4 years....the S will eat that up and more. Of course the other option is to pay about $2K for an extended warranty from someone like Warranty Gold. Again, you are taking chances as i have heard horry stories about getting repairs paid by some warranty companies. Tough call....good luck with whatever decision you make.
    I believe that those pictures can also be seen at:
    www.mbspy.com/notw221.htm. It says that it is not the new s-class, though. i don't think that those pictures are reliable, though. its too soon to completely redesign.
  • jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    Hey, I thought I'd drop a line about an interesting new item. AutoExpress.com is reporting MB will introduce a limited edition CL55 AMG CONVERTIBLE! Yes, it will have a canvas top like the current CLK and be built this fall. Around 55K more than the current CL55. If you SL/S guys want a very exclusive car this is the one.

The same article states the 2003 CL will only have bumper changes and the S will have an all new interior. Also a british auto mag said the 2003 S class will have new wheel designs and slightly new bumpers but the major change is the interior. Both look like available supercharged engines are coming as well.
  • jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    Take a look. A very discreet upgrade.

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/w220fl.htm

i can hardly notice the difference! i wish they showed us the pictures of the interior. I noticed though that they removed the chrome on the front bumper; i thought it looked more classy with them.
    does every s-class make a noise after you turn off the car? mine makes noises around the air-vents and near the display. they are different ones too. also, outside, under the hood, i hear a constant buzzing sound, and the wheel area makes a hissing noise. are these noises supposed to happen? also, i don't understand how can you adjust your seat-belt? i see it can go up or down, but can you adjust it manually? i can't find any instructions in the manual.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Any word on just a regular CL cabriolet? Like maybe a CL500 cabio? I have always wanted (been asking since I first saw the CL body in 1999) Mercedes to do this with the CL. I really hope they do it!!!!!

M