Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• lmallardlmallard Posts: 2
    Yes, I am the second owner, with a purchase thru a private agent. While the "too bad" answer is acknowledged, I am more than a bit surprised at the 50K mileage warranty for corrosion. My family's committment to Mercedes is corroding too.
    We've got 3 more (#2 1995 E-class with no corrosion, and a 1987 300-D with a bit of corrosion and 430K miles, so I'm pretty forgiving of that one).
    Several mechanics have looked over this 2001 and all say they have never seen anything like this on a Mercedes. I purchased in November and it showed "perfectly" with 47K mikes. The mechanics looked all over for signs of being "sunk", but none exist. Oh well, I'm biting the bullet and moving on to another vehicle.
    Thanks for the reply.... Leo
  • frlac40frlac40 Posts: 3
    I am driving a Nissan Maxima 2000 with my last two payments. The car still a dream without fault of any kind with 47,000 miles. As I am 60 yrs old and never own a Mercedes Benz it was my goal to buy a second hand may be 2001 S430 MB with 38,500 miles for statue and prestige because i will take an early retirement and will not drive much. But after reading a few comments in this forum i am so confused. Please someone reply and tell me should I be happy continue driving my free and clear Maxima or look for a 2001 MB S430 around $34,000.00 and spend time in the service department? Thank you
  • frlac40frlac40 Posts: 3
    I will rotate my tire or change the front tires before put anything else in your mind.
  • paldipaldi Posts: 210
    Hello, please be invited to make comments in a forum composed of European flagship sedan owners. Stop by to compare notes and share experiences!

High End European Luxury Cars
  • hilaryhhilaryh Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I purchased a 2000 CPO S430 , 60,000 miles a month ago ( first benz @ 27 years old), since then a new command system has been installed, three days at the shop. Yesterday my STS light was going off and on, today the "brake liner see dealer" light is on. After reading your comments, I am now panic stricken. If I need new brakes and/or pads, shouldn't the dealer have fixed that BEFORE selling me this glam machine, with the big 150 point cpo inspection? I am wondering what they are going to tell me. Should I insist that they foot the bill, being that I have had the car for a month. I am afraid to ask you how much this will be to repair. I think I got a good deal, paid 28k (58,000 miles) CPO warranty one year, however, i am beginning to wonder if these problems are a glimpse of worse to come.
    Please any advice would help me out, I love the car but I am certainly not familiar with the costs of repairs (those not covered under my cpo warranty).
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well to be brutally honest a 2000 model year S-Class is troublesome car. It was the first year for a totally new and complex Mercedes. I'm not sure what to advise you. Get everything checked out and hope for the best or getout of it now while still under warranty, or sell it the minute the warranty expires.

Yes they should have fixed the brakes as part of the certification process. I'd insist that they pick up the tab.

If "Stroudman" is reading the board he can help you further on this.

M
  • bobcatmanbobcatman Posts: 51
    Every Mercedes 1st year model is troublesome and the 2nd,3rd,4th,5th, and maybe they'll get right like in the 6th model year of the ML.
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    Haven't herd Mercedes doing much to promote this new model....It's tempting...I always thought the S back seat was just a bit roomier than I'd ever need-my children are two. But all of the complaints here have turned me a bit cold...I'd love to read a few more posts of owners of the current S-Class who are in bliss over their cars-which is where a $70,000 car should be taking you...anyone?
  • mtraumanmtrauman Posts: 6
    I purchased an '01 S500 in Sept. of 2000. I just traded that car for an '06 S500 4-matic. I had 72000 miles on the '01 before trading it. I had no major issues with the car. It was very reliable for me. I can not say the same thing for the 2000 ML320 I currently own. On the ML320, Mercedes replaced the motor under warranty at 37000 miles due to oil consumption. I have owned 5 different Mercedes cars in 10 years. The worst by far has been the ML since it started using just under a quart of oil every 1000 miles. But the '01 S class has been very reliable; however, many people have had electrical problems with the early years of the W220 body style (2000-2006 model year). I hope the 2006 S500 has all the bugs worked out of it since many people seem to have the same problems (Command system, air shock problems, electrical problems,etc.). I thought about waiting for the 2007 (new body style) S Class but with the first model year of any new Mercedes in the past 10 years, Mercedes record of reliability has been very bad. So, I bought the final year S Class hoping the bugs are worked out.

Happy motoring.
  • cedescedes Posts: 1
    Have you ever heard of a caddy used to hold the hard top safely during summer months?
  • I have rcently procured a one owner, ( elderly fellow), 99 S420 with 57k miles. Previous owner bouhgt and serviced the car at the MB dealer from where I bought the car.

My question relates to an " extended warranty". Since the car is not new, MB will not provide a MB warranty; they will provide, ( sell) me a warranty thro' a third party. The cost for 36 months/36k miles is $4600.00

From my undersatnding, this is the same as buying a warranty from any number of companies that offer them. Assuming the issuing co is A++ rated as an insurer I think this is ok. The cost for 48 months/48k is $2400.00.

Any thoughts? It would seem to me that since MB are providing a policy via a third party then what is the difference?

Finally, can anyone recommend a company that sells extended warranties.

Thankyou
  • paldipaldi Posts: 210
    This disguised photograph is said to show the soon to be released Mercedes Benz S-Class. The photo appears to be accurate except for the disguise applied around the fender/wheel area. I expect the real thing will be prettier. ;)

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Ha ha......

M
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,830
    Are you a current S-Class owner or 7-Series owner who is considering switching to an S-Class for your next purchase? If so, a reporter would like to speak with you about the new version of the S-Class and whether or not you would consider buying it. If you would be interested in speaking with this reporter, please reply to Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com with your name, daytime phone number and the best time to reach you. Please respond by Wednesday, June 29. Thank you.”

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mobydocmobydoc Posts: 6
    I had the same problem. mine had 32000 miles on it. it is a simple rotation balancing issue. dont worry at all. I have put 17000 miles on mine with no mechanical issues. My problems have been with the cd changer and a jammed ashtray....
  • mobydocmobydoc Posts: 6
    this might sound silly but my 2001 S430 has a jammed ashtray. There was nothing in the damn thing so I suspect that the spring might be jammed. I am planning to get a little heavy handed with it using a flat screw driver but fear that I might damage the finish or worse, break the whole thing. Ideas anyone ?
  • mezecamezeca Posts: 66
    Don't use a screwdriver or anything metal, it will damage the wood. Usually what jams them is a business car, parking cards, etc. Use a plastic knife or something like it to carefully
    pry down on it and see if there is something jamming it. You should be able to see what's in there and hopefully retrieve it. Good luck!
  • molokaimolokai Posts: 313
    My friend just picked up a great deal on a 2006 S class. It has the AMG appearance package and his monthly lease cost is $699! It is a 13 month lease. Anyway... would you believe he needs a wheel bearing and transmission control module! I drove the car home and it was really nice! I hope this is not the beginning of a lemon relationship. Time will tell!
  • otis1otis1 Posts: 142
    I saw that deal... it's now $599/month! does anyone know the specific terms of this deal? what's the cap cost and the residual?
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    I'm looking into buy one of the above vehicles. I know both have had their share of electrical problems but I like the way and the feel of both vehicles. For those of you here, what would probably have less problems and what would you choose? Thanks
  • I have a 2001 S500 whose Command module is defective. The only problems are that the navigator and the clock are not functioning. I was quoted $3200 by the dealership to replace the unit and I believe that there must be a cheaper alternative. Does anyone know of anyone who refurbishes or fixes these units? I am in the Los Angeles area. Thanks!
  • anoopanoop Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a 2001 S500 AMG Sport...I Fortunately purchased a three year Starmark and it only has 17700 original miles. My issue is this...the stupid EC light keeps coming on and I have had the dealer replace condensor/seals/display control modules.....and am at whits end....has any body else run into this problem...if so, how did you fix it (besides trading the car that is!)
    I need help!!!! I am having recurring A/C problems....EC light keeps coming on andturning compressor off....its holding refrigerant, and have replaced rear seals to compressor, evaporator/condensor/ and face control modules....what else can I do?!?!?! I was fortunate enough to buy the 3year Starmark, but have owned the car for 2 weeks and have only been able to drive the car 3 days.....before telling me to "get used to it"...or....."that's what you get for buying a Benz"...can anyone offer anything constructive or point me in the right direction??

=/
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    What provisions for relief does Starmark offer you? Comparable loaners while they sort it out? The right to return it and cancel the sale? Etc. I would think since is is a CPO Starmark they must have some mechanism to help.
    So far they have been giving me a 2006 C230 Kompressor for a Loaner...and they are diligently TRYING to fix the problem. It has been explained to me that the Starmark that I purchased covers everything....and have provided me broken components that have been replaced(for my viewing only to make sure I was not being gaffed). I don't know how far the Starmark Warranty goes...would they replace a used certified car under the Warranty??...Does anyone know?
    The problem was fixed and the car is running beautifully.....I love the adjustments for the suspension and am awaiting new seat rails and the car will be puuuurfect. I had my car clayed and waxed and it is every bit what I hoped for....true class. I hear everyone complaining about this car and hope to never run into those problems. These posts that I have read have been very helpfull and I hope you all get your problems resolved....happy driving for me!!!
  • mezecamezeca Posts: 66
    There is a bulletin that addresses this, and it is just a simple programming change.
  • I am looking at buying a 1993 MB 300SE for around $8,000. I'm a young investment banker who doesn't have a lot of money to throw around, but would like a car that is presentable and somewhat conmfortable. The car sounds like it is in pretty good shape, though, I have not checked it out in person. It has 115,000 miles on it and is fully loaded. I don't plan on putting more than 15,000 or so miles on it each year. I have not run CarFax on the VIN yet or had a mechanic look at it, but would do so before making the purchase. Do any of you have any suggestions for me regarding this particular year and/or model? Thanks very much.

Joe
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    Check the maintenance costs at a dealer. Are you sure you can afford to keep the car running?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,830
    A reporter for an influential U.S. publication is working on a piece about Mercedes and would like to hear from consumers. He’s wondering whether the recent quality problems are enough to stop consumers from buying Mercedes in the future. He also cites that Mercedes says it has worked hard to fix the various problems and is producing the best quality cars ever. He’d especially appreciated hearing from any long-time Mercedes drivers around who agree or disagree. If you have a story to share, please respond to pr@edmunds.com with your daytime and evening contact info., city/state of residence and what models of Mercedes you own/have owned, no later than Weds., Sept. 28, 2005.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews