Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• rodutrodut Posts: 343
    Does somebody has reasons to believe that the 1999 Mercedes S320 would be a decent reliability car ?

I am very concerned about the 2000-2005 reliability record, and wonder if the previous model (1999) was a simpler, so more reliable car.

Thanks
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    That is a nice gesture to show the coming prices...I agree that the prices that they charge will be the key...As I wrote previously I personally don`t care to go into buy a car and then have so many extra selections....I am sure the companies do this to adjust their prices when the dollar rises and falls, but I think a car in theis league should come with almost everything in the asking price, with maybe just a few added choices...Again I would want to get the night vision, and radar controlled cruis control, and would be turned off at what I think they are going to charge. Tony
  • durezdurez Posts: 1
    Hello to all, I have developed a love for the S-Class Mercedes Benz (1997-1999). I have never owned one and would like to know what to look for, and what to stay away from, in my search.

Thanks,

HDY
    After reading you fabulous post about the show in Detroit, I was wondering is you found the arches to your ...liking... You mentioned they wern`t as large in person, but failed to put your mark of approval, or just so so...Did you really like the Imperial concept?and it`s inside refinements? Tony
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well the S-Class wheel arches aren't as bad as I thought. The arches themselves I'm still not crazy about, but the car itself gets my approval though it isn't as "pretty" as the 2000-2006 model. However the AMG package changes things it puts the new S-Class over the top for me. Stunningly aggressive and sculpted to me. If I were getting one I'd want the AMG treatment.

Yes I like the Imperial concept. Big and bold, a total American throwback. Loved it inside and out.

M
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Have a look at what the editors think about the new S550: Full Test: 2007 Mercedes-Benz S550 - The new benchmark.
  • When did they add Fourmatic as an option?

I see '02 S Classes now down to 40K asking with a lower final net sale price. By now will the problems have been worked out under warranty, or could an '02 still be warranty problem on wheels?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    4Matic was added for the 2003 model year.

I'd get a 2003 or better, a 2002 model would be before the facelift.

M
  • Hello forum,
    I just discovered this site and have enjoyed it immensely, particularly about the new S-class issues. I won't even consider purchasing one of those, now. I owned a 1982 300SD for 16 years, and enjoyed it quite a bit, except for the noise. It was a very reliable and economical car (for a car of that size). I then traded it for a 500SL and drove it for 4 years until I decided I missed a back seat. After a year of BMW 540i, (big mistake), I currently drive an Audi A6, which I believe is equal in quality to about anything on the road right now, especially the seats!!! I miss the Mercedes presence, however, and was wondering about all the comments regarding maintenance of the W140 series, S420, either a 98 or 99 model. I am strongly leaning towards buying one, with no more than 70K miles. What can I expect as far as costs and maintenance of this car versus the 500sl. Are they comparable? I am assuming they are, but I don't know if there are additional things about the S420 that would be necessary. Quite a few people have stated the 140 series is a wonderful car, if you can afford to keep it running. I am a big believer in preventative maintenance, but I don't go overboard. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Dale
  • Hey L8_Apex,

I couldn't exactly find the right thread to post this question (so perhaps you'll move it to the right one), but I was wondering if you had any experience with LeaseWizard software and what you thought about it. (www.leasewizard.com)

Krump
    Hi Krump, welcome!

I'm not personally familiar with that site/software, but I can guarantee you that between the information on the Edmunds main site and the discussions here in Edmunds' Forums, we can provide the same information for you - all for only the price of your membership. Which you've already paid. :P

I see you have found a couple of our Lease Questions discussions for a couple different vehicles. Are you also interested in the S-Class? If so, try here: Mercedes-Benz S-Class: Lease Questions.

We don't really have a totally generic leasing issues discussion at the moment, but you could try Leasing vs. Purchasing if that's the type of discussion you're trying to find.

But I really think your best bet is to ask what you need to know in an appropriate Lease Questions discussion. You can look them up with the Make/Model dropdown on the left side of the page.

Hope this helps!
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    3,360 units

Plenty of delivered pre-orders in thur. :)

They can sell 25k plus for the first time in a long time! :surprise:

I guess we like "My Humps"!

DrFill
  • krumpitzkrumpitz Posts: 4
    Wow...that sounded more like a sales pitch than a thoughtful response. I read over the LeaseWizard.com site and there is nothing on Edmunds that compares actually to the software.

I was hoping that you would have used it and perhaps reviewed it as a legitmate consumer aid. I love the breadth of Edmunds, but thinking that Edmunds has ALL the answers is naive.
    Regardless of whether it seems like a "sales pitch", it is true that we have tons of leasing resources that are available to you for no charge whatsoever. Car_man and kyfdx, hosts of the Prices & Leasing Questions board, can be much more help to you in that department than can I. The Leasing Tips page is very helpful as well. Good luck with your search.
  • mcaleermcaleer Posts: 11
    My 2003 S430 has the Motorola cellphone that is integral to the Command System but can be removed and used when I'm not in the car. I visited the dealer yesterday and was told that the cellphone is not removable from the car. I was hoping to have the Bluetooth system like the Lexus where you can use a number of different phones though the communications system in the car. Did the sales guy I talked to yesterday know what he was talking about? What's the sense in having Bluetooth if the phone is fixed?
  • LanceL99LanceL99 Posts: 39
    I just picked up a new S350 with Keyless Go, Elec Trunk Opener, and CD changer for $53,500. Anyone else out there buying the leftover '06's?
  • pennylupennylu Posts: 1
    i'm not sure exactly where to find this.
    i'm purchasing a '57 220S and in order to tow it i need the approx. weight.
    if anybody has any idea, please let me know :confuse:
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    I had a '59 220se. It's going to be a little less than 3000 lbs.
  • mobydocmobydoc Posts: 6
    thanks for the advice. You were absolutely right. It was a stuck parking card.
  • mobydocmobydoc Posts: 6
    I have put 54K miles on my 01 S430 and have had NO major issues . Contrary to a lot of bad things you hear about the airmatic suspension and so forth, I guess I got lucky. My question to other owners is that have you all been happy with your vehicles or are there any regrets ? There is a similar vehicle listed on Ebay these days with 240 K miles which makes me hope that this baby has a long time to go. By the way does any body have any recommendations on how to deal with a small (1 cm) nick on the inside panel of the drivers door handle ( I think it is plastic). It is a minor cosmetic issue which is hard to see. Am I better off just leaving it alone ?.
    What major maintainance would you all do at 60 K mileage ?
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,030
    A large national newspaper aims to interview someone who has purchased, ordered or plans to order a 2007 Mercedes-Benz S550. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com before Thursday, March 16 at 5 PM EST with your daytime contact info.

Thanks,

Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• bocchunbocchun Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 S500 and it currently have 55k miles on it. However, I have a horrible experience with it.. Since I own it, the repairs total over $25k (most of them were covered by warranty), the repairs items included (what I can remember on top of my head): door assist (broke 4 or 5 times), passages windows motor broke 3 times, Command system was repaired twice and finally they replaced the whole system. 3 different areas of leaks, AC problem 3 or 4 times.. (replace different parts each time), airmatic suspension, sub-frame (not really sure what that is.. but supposed to be part of the frame) has a crack on it (warranty won't cover it... cost +-3k, which I'm going to fight with the warranty company - warranty direct, they claim I'm aware of that problem but keep driving it to make it worst...)
    Anyway, If you are thinking about getting a S class.. you may want to think again. I'm a 3rd generation of Mercedes owner and it looks like I might have to switch to the new LS 460.
  • I once was one of Mercedes biggest fan. After owning several Mercedes, I finally learned and bought others. I've learned that only thing with Mercedes is the name and the prestige. Have lots of friends who would never buy another Mercedes. When I was in the market for a suv, I bought a new (05) Range Rover. Luv it, glad I didn't buy a G500. We just bought 06 750Li. Didn't even bother looking at the S Class. In my opinion the Mercedes is less to be desired.
  • shoremanshoreman Posts: 1
    My wife finally got her Mercedes. A 2000 S500 at a local used dealer. After several days of driving it the hazard lights would start to blink . So we took it back and they replaced the hazard switch. Now they come on intermittently as well as the interior lights. Then the door locks will not work and occasionally we go out to the car and all the windows and the sun roof have opened on their own. Dealer reset the computer and it has reverted back to these malfunctions 4 times now. This is not a Mercedes Dealer but he specializes in Mercedes and BMW. He keeps resetting the computer and now showed us how. Not good enough. There is a problem! Anyone ever heard of such malfunctions?
  • duane3duane3 Posts: 7
    I have a 1991 420SEL, that I bought new, the car has 160,000 miles and today I broke a timing chain. I was at a stoplight and when I stepped on the gas there was a crunch and the car quit. I took a look under the hood and the left rocker valve cover was broken and you could see the timing chain. I had it towed to the dealer and this is what they had to say...

when the timing chain broke, it may have bent the valves and damaged the pistons, they want to take off the heads and do a valve job and inspect the valves to see if they are bent, also look at the pistons to see if they are damaged. Cost estimate is $6,300!! If the valves are damaged, or worse, if the pistons are damaged, the cost could go up even more.

I'm having a hard time understanding how the valves and pistons could be damaged. In the old days when timing belts broke, you just replaced the belt and that was that. Can anyone tell me if what they are saying makes sense, and what about the cost of $6,300, for basically what amounts to a valve job (plus a timing chain and a valve cover). What if they just put on a new timing chain and valve cover - would I be okay??

Thanks,

Duane
    Sorry to read of your problem----Just a chance but you may not have done too much damage.....Possibly and independent shop would be able to advise you, at a lower cost....Further you may be out of luck as the car may not be worth that much money, particularly if it starts to have additional problems in the near future....Good luck Tony
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    Most engines today are interference engines. That is, when the valves are open, they protrude far enough into the cylinder that the piston would hit the valves when the piston is at the top of its motion if the valves are still open. The timing chain is what keeps the pistons and valves in time. When the timing chain breaks, the valves stop in their current position (open, closed, or in-between). The pistons keep moving and smack into any open valves.

This bends the valves, possibly damages the pistons, and may wreck other bits and pieces in the head.

No, they can't just replace the timing chain and valve cover. The valves are bent and broken. They won't open and close properly (if at all) and the engine would not run.

Sorry for the bad news, but the dealer isn't trying to screw you over on this. I'm surprised the cost is only $6300.
  • spinnspinn Posts: 1
    Anyone know which are the best banks or leasing companies to lease hi line cars?
    Merc---There is a business article in economist.com...A free read ..I did not realize Mercedes Benz and Diamler Benz merged around nine years ago...Was the merger between the truck operation and the auto part??? It`s a good article for background.. I think you would appreciate it Tony
  • lauren12lauren12 Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I received this message display 'No magazine' when I tried to activate the cd in my 2002 S500. The cd magazine is in the changer located in the trunk, but if I try to eject it, it will not eject as well. Does anyone experience this problem with their cd magazine and could advice me on this? I took it to the MB dealership for an estimate to fix it and they say it'll probably be $1200k to change the whole unit. Any advice would really appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.