Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    I am interested in getting an E500. I posted a question about 2003 order/delivery times in that thread. I currently have a 2000 S500 and really like it but want more of a drivers car next. I refuse to keep these cars past the inital warranty period. Imagine when the electronics wear out and, for example, the instrument gauges go. Can you say thou$ands just to return your speedometer and tach. Anyways, my question is do any of you MB followers know if for the 2003 S-Class update they are going to drop the S430. The CLK430 and E430 are gone in the redesigned models. Does this mean the S will be the S500 S55 and S600 only until the totally new model comes in 2005? Anyone know. My dealer sure doesn't.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well lets see...no other MB's will use the 4.3L V8 after 2002, so on that count I would say the S430 is dead. Mercedes usually doesn't produce one specific engine for any of it's cars. They always spread an engine out over several model lines. However if they S500 is going to become the "entry-level" S-Class then a price reduction is in order. The problem here is that MB is running a little behind with their next generation of engines. There should be a S450 with 315hp and a S530 with about 360hp, but that isn't going to happen. I've seen where the face-lifted S is set to debut at Paris in the fall, but if thats the case the U.S. won't see the car until early 2003, most likely spring 2003...thus it will be a "2004" model, which will have a short life because a totally new S is due for the 2006 model year in the U.S. I can't see Mercedes surrendering the market to Lexus and BMW. I say they'll keep the S430 around for the duration of the current S' life. Come to think of it they built the old S320 (with the inline 6) for a while after the new "V6" engines came out, so they have built a model with a lone engine before.

M
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Good save. I was going to correct your lone engine theory. A '99 S320 is an intriguing automoble as it is true one of the last classic Benz sedans.
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    Several hundred posts ago, there was a request on how to fix a smelly A/C. There is a product called DWD2 that may fix this problem. I've seen it advertised in magazines (C&D?) and was tested on MotorWeek (PBS) a long time ago. I believe they got good results. It doesn't hide the odor but removes it by cleaning the evaporator system. I posted the URL for more info.

http://www.dwd2.com/Products/products2.html

Yep, yep I thought about it mid-ramble. Actually they built the SL600 with it's "old" 48V DOHC V12 a long time too with it being the only MB to have that engine. The "new" V12 came out in 2001. So the S430 has a chance because for one it's not a seperate, entirely different engine like the S320 and SL600 were, its the same engine, just of a different displacement.

M
  • benznutbenznut Posts: 104
    Mercedes S500 outaccelerated and outmaneuvered the BMW 745i in a recent TopGear comparison. They said that the merc was more of a driver's car. Not good for BMW, especially considering that the Bimmer had 19in wheels with performance tires and 333hp (european version), whereas the S500 was down 27hp and had the "handicapping" standard 16 inch wheels with all-season tires. Also to note was the fact that the MB did not have ABC, whereas BMW had the new semiactive system. How is that for a lack in power?!
  • Could you give me the URL for the Top Gear comparison? I am not able to find the comparison at http://www.topgear.beeb.com .
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Some uncivil, argumentative messages - and responses to same - have been removed.

It is possible to disagree AGREEABLY. It is possible to hold civil debates about perceptions, beliefs and facts without calling names and/or denigrating each other in any way.

In fact, your Membership Agreement requires that you do just that.

Thank you.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    MBUSA's website is hinting that there is an "addition" to the S-Class for 2003. I wonder what that could be. Anyone have any info on the 2003 S?

M
  • jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    When I ordered my E500 the salesman told me the new S would be arriving late Aug/Sept with the E and CLK. Almost all the new stuff available for the E will be available on the S and then some. I think the 'additions' refer to things like 4 matic, electronic brakes, upgraded engines, and the surround sound audio system. I would be surprised to see a 'new baged' model. I love the car althougth I am turning in my S for the E because I want a smaller more driver oriented maching.
  • dzanone1dzanone1 Posts: 8
    at an 89 420 SEL garage kept and one owner as a second occasional car for my husband and myself. My daughter just got the license and wants to drive my Jeep and my husband travels and takes his company car. What do people think?
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    A major daily newspaper is looking for people who bought used luxury cars with the idea of moving upscale at discounted prices only to find out that the cost of parts and service was greater than expected. Were you surprised or shocked by the cost of routine maintenance and common repairs like mufflers, brakes, shocks and struts, transmissions, headlight replacement, etc.?

If so, please send an e-mail containing your contact information and vehicle description to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 12.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• v12powerv12power Posts: 174
    That is a wonderful car. It is before the days of major electronic do-dads. Personally I would feel MUCH better with my daughter in the Mercedes, it is a much safer vehicle, especially if your Jeep is the Wrangler open type.

I can't think of any specific faailings of that series of MB. The typically run 250k miles without incident. The only pitfall is that, unless already converted, it runs the old AC refrigerant R-12 which is scarce and expensive. Converting the system to the new 134a is also a costly thing. Something to consider with the purchase price.
  • benznutbenznut Posts: 104
    ...will have an upgraded interior, of a much better quality. Hinted are a new generation of 4-valve engines, as well as a detuned Maybach Type12 making 495hp. The 55 should have the 476hp superchraged engine
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    My '91 Mercedes was the "last" of the old style. It was an absolutely beautiful car (black/Palomino) but between 78,000-82,000 miles, we lived at the dealership. I was hoping to get "250,000" miles but it was just not to be. I had spent about $7,000 in repairs over the last three years that I had it; which included

New fuel injection (twice, dealer paid for 2nd repair) $2,000
    New power steering gear box $2,000
    Rear tail light leaked water $300 (never wrecked)
    Rear window actuator $300
    New radiator $600
    Engine gaskets $500

there were a few other repairs I can remember at the moment, so in Oct of '99 I bought a new 2000 E430 sport with a Warranty! I haven't had an ounce of trouble and probably will not keep a car past the warranty period.

I kept worrying that the air condition was going to go, but, I didn't keep the 560SEL long enough to find out and didn't want to put any more money in a older car.

Happy Motoring, Mark
  • vic19vic19 Posts: 56
    I leased a 93 S Class for 5 years. It was in warranty for 4 and out for 1. The car had a very touchy front end. As the tires wore the steering wheel would develop a slight tremble, there was no way to get rid of it without puting on new tires. I received a class action award of $1,200 that was at least partially due to the front end instability.

I can't remember all the reasons the car was in the shop, but I can remember many unscheduled sessions at the dealership.

It certainly was the most complex car ever built. The side view mirrors would fold back to give the car the more side clearance, all the doors would pull in the last notch with a motor. That was just the beginning. I think you're really asking for it if you buy a used one.
  • ejerodejerod Posts: 86
    I leased my 2001 S500 with AMG package in November 2000. IN a 15 month period it had to be serviced no less than 8 times for various electical and mechanical problems. Needless to say I was not happy. The district manager came down and discounted a new 2002 for me and bought my old car back for about 10k more than book. Still not the happiest guy in the world since my lease payment still went up due to depreciation of the old car and appreciation of the new. I'd gone out and looked at other cars and the only one that even came close to making me want to purchase was the new BMW 745 Li. More car and less money. Still I have to admit I love the S500. There is nothing on the road that turns more heads and in spite of what the critics say about the COMAND system it becomes second nature after a few weeks of playing with it. SO far the new car has performed like a Mercedes Benz should. The dealer was more than gracious and attentive when I told them to take the car back and they put me on the VIP list to boot. Again, I'm not ecstatic, but given the fact that the dealer could have made it more difficult than it already was, I have to say I'm satisfied.. the moral of the story ? Make sure the car you buy isn't manufactured on a Friday or Monday..
  • torbytorby Posts: 1
    S500, 1998 with 51,000 miles.

Transmission just blew out, which is very unusual, I am told...

Has anyone heard of any issues surrounding the transmission for this model year??

Has there been any manufacturers problems or other.

Please advise if you know where to go to review and possibly claim, since this repair should not have been necessary.

Thx
  • ttdang123ttdang123 Posts: 6
    Hi

I am looking into a 1997 S320 LWB with 55000 miles. This is a Southern CA car. Any advices on how this car would hold up or expenses would be appreciated very much.

Thanks