Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Yeah that's it alright, but hopefully they'll change the color a little....lol.

M
  • Does anyone know how many digits the odometer readout has? 5 or 6?
  • chapman7chapman7 Posts: 23
    I have a 2002 S55 with approximately 500 miles on it and have had a problem with the tires from day one. The steering wheel vibrates and the car shudders when you drive it after the car has sat over night or for a longer period. The vibration gets very noticeable above 35mph. MB tells me it is due to the "soft tires" on the S55, which they say form flat spots after the car sits for awhile. Has anyone else experienced this situation with these tires? Is there a tire available that doesn't perform like this? Thanks for your help.
  • roger58roger58 Posts: 3
    Your dealer is right. I have a 2001 S500 sport, which has the same wheels and tires (Dunlop sp9000's). Being performance tires, they are designed and built to emphasize handling, as such soft nylon belts are used, and the rubber compound is 'soft' to enhance traction. That however is the tradeoff. When the vehicle is left overnight, the tires will slightly 'flatspot', hence the vibration the next day. However, once the tires warm up, and the rubber becomes more compliant, you will notice that your vibration completely disappears. How far and at what speed you have to drive to warm the tires are based on the outside temp., but allow at least 5 to 15 miles. You should then be completely vibration free. This trait regrettably, is an inherent characteristic of pretty well all the high end performance tires. If after a good drive with the tires now fully warm, the vibration remains,have your dealer recheck the wheel balance, or check for a rare, but possible defect in one of the tires.
  • chapman7chapman7 Posts: 23
    roger58: Thanks for the info on the soft tires.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...have been six digits on MBs for so long I can't remember when it was otherwise...many moons ago, anyway, and long before 1992...
  • Hey, I'm looking at a '96 S320 LWB in fabulous condition and am curious about peoples opinions of the 24,000 price tag, it's a V6.

Also any knowledge of how this model year has held up. When do major service overhauls tend to occur, etc.

Thanks
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    It's a straight 6, and one that has a reputation for being prone to oil leaks, both at the back of the valve cover, and in the front. That's one thing to check carefully.
  • ssinhas72ssinhas72 Posts: 7
    Thanks for the fantastic information on this board. I have recently moved to US and looking for a luxury car around 50 K US price range. One of the options I am evaluating :
    Pre-Owned S class sedan.

Based upon the prices I have seen so far it seems I can get a 2000 Model S430 with about 40,000 Miles for about 50-55 K USD. I am planning to lease it for three years and hopefully buy the same later.

Do you think it may be a good option ?
    Any particular thing that I may need to be aware of ... I have no specific color or options in mind

thanks in advance !
  • tiger40tiger40 Posts: 10
    The S is a beautiful car ....but you should be aware of some things and I will share my experience and you can make up your own mind.

First the 2000 will have a analog non-trimode phone instead of digital trimode. This will limit your phone range and phone service options if you decide to use the phone.

Also I have a 01 S430 and have had several things go wrong and I bought mind new! Here is a list:

Brakes make noise after 10k miles-was told that this is due to the metal pads they are now using and I had to fight with Mercedes to put Brake Silencers on the car...this has help.

The entire Navigation unit went and had to be replaced...that cost almost $7k

I have had to replace the keys several times because they did not open the trunk or the doors.

Had to replace the phone twice

And just this weekend...it was towed away because of Antifreeze leak (I don't know what is wrong with it...I will find out this Monday)

Having said this, I would strongly encourage you to get a extended warranty thru the dealer if possible.
  • ssinhas72ssinhas72 Posts: 7
    thanks Tiger40 for the information, I do plan to ask for extended warranty.

Is there any other thing that I need to be sure of in a two year car, I am wondering about some of the points ...

- Is 40,000 Miles too much to consider in buying a two year old car
    - Is there a way I could check if this is a car that has been in any accident
    - In terms of price, is 50K USD a reasonable price for a two year old S430

thanks a ton !
  • tiger40tiger40 Posts: 10
    Is there any other thing that I need to be sure of in a two year car, I am wondering about some of the points ...

- Is 40,000 Miles too much to consider in buying a two year old car >That is on the high side and although it is a 00....the car was probably on the road at least half of the year in "99.

- Is there a way I could check if this is a car that has been in any accident. >Yes, you can put the VIN through Carfax.com. It is a small fee and you will get a report back on that vehicle.

- In terms of price, is 50K USD a reasonable price for a two year old S430 >I think it may be high...but it is what the market will bear. Edmunds has a really good assessment for new and used car prices. Below, I just put some general info into Edmunds and it appears that you are getting a very good deal! But run the VIN thru Carfax to make sure of no major accidents and lastly get an extended warranty for sure! Lastly enjoy one of the most awesome cars made today!!

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 4 Dr S430 Sedan

Color: Black
    Mileage: 40,000
    Condition: Clean
    Zip: 01879

Trade-in Private Party Dealer Retail

Base Price $51,882 $55,014 $57,905

Optional Equipment $1,729 $1,840 $2,158

Color Adjustment $136 $144 $152

Regional Adjustment $82 $87 $91

Mileage Adjustment $-841 $-841 $-841

Condition Adjustment $0 $0 $0

Total $52,988 $56,244 $59,465

Certified Used Vehicle $61,015*
    * You should expect to pay this amount if this vehicle has been certified as part of a manufacturer or authorized reseller program.
  • benznutbenznut Posts: 104
    Mercedes is giving Audi, BMW, and VW no time to breathe. The new flagship, S600 with 500hp is sure to smoke the new 760Li, Phaeton- and A8-W12s, as well as probably anything else in the class, while also giving midsize luxury sedans (the likes of M5) a real run for their money (although, for twice as much money, it really hurts).

Ever since this engine was talked about regarding to Maybach, I dreamed of its combination with the S. Surprisingly, Mercedes is turning this dream into reality, by being exremely dearing in the power department (not one, but two 500 hp models, S600 and S55).

I am awaiting the stats to see how the Twin Turbo and AMG compare in performance. S600 is said to reach 62 mph in 4.8 seconds, and we already know that MB tends to be conservative in the beginning (SL55 consistently beat the claimed 4.7 sec in almost any test done by magazines around the globe). My logic tells me that the AMG should be even faster, or else what would be the point. Although, the current S600 has outperformed the current S55, so anything can happen.

To all who can afford these fine automobiles, I wish I was in your place!!!
    If you take a look at post no. 413 at this threat, posted by yours truly, you can read how I somehow "felt" it in my "MB-infected" blood that we woold eventually have a 500 hp S Class. What I did not know is that we were going to have two :-) Hurray!

Where si everyone? It is such a special time for MB fans, and no one is around? Or should I assume you are lining up at the dealerships? LOL
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Posts: 363
    Could it just be that nobody cares?
    ...I thought this was a place for enthusiasts!
  • Was thinking about this. It's common sense, but I feel better when it's print. Anyhoo - if both are making 500 hp...S600 with 800Nm of torque and S55 with 700Nm...either way, it doesn't matter right? Since the S55 V8 will be lighter (and overall the car will be lighter) than the S600 V12, then wouldn't the performance figures on the S55 be either comparable or better than the S600?

But I still like the S600 better... =)
    The 5.5L Kompressor V8 is not a light engine. And keep in mind that the new 5.5L V12 should be relatively compact (I think). Isn't that the sense of using turbos?

I also would like the S600 better. It is smoother, quieter, and should be much more refined, be it in the ride or the quality of materials (more high wuality wood, whereas I can see the S55 getting aliminum or stone trim, which in itself is not bad). And that extra 74 lb/ft of torque should make for a more relaxed acceleration. The torque peak in the V12 also comes substantially earlier (at 1800 rpm) whereas the S55 achieves this at 2650). I do not believe that the S55 can outperform the S600. I believe the difference belies in the way these two engines will deliver the power. That should make them feel like two different animals.

Both of these cars are a bit of an overkill. They have as much horsepower, and more torque than a Viper. These power games are getting crazy. At least, MB is giving BMW, AUDI, and VW a run for their money. Somehow, their 400 something Hp seem less than before. That should make for some overtime at the development sites. I can say it is safe to assume that an M7 is in the way.

I am looking forward to seeing some more official information, including some specs, for there cars.
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Posts: 363
    "...I thought this was a place for enthusiasts! "

Trust me, I am a full fleged car enthusiast. I just find it hard to be enthusiastic about a car that less that 1% of the United States population can afford.