Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    Has anyone seen an S-class with an antenna installation other than the ugly black blob in the middle of the trunk lid?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Mercedes has re-introduced the S350 to the U.S. market for the final S-Class run:

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/models/main.jsp&modelCode=S350V

M
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    I don't know why Merc didn't do this sooner. My sister has had two of these SWBs over the years-an '83 and a '92.
    Sometimes the S-class back seat seems a little TOO big....
    I've been hoping for this smaller sedan for a while;shame that right now there seems to be so many disgruntled S owners-at least here. I've been plotting for an S-class for a while now...

I've looked at the picture again,and I'm not sure it is in fact on a shorter wheelbase...I hope it's at least decontented a little...
    I wonder why they didn't put the new 24 valve engine in it. As far as the SWB, the LWB car has far more rear seat leg room than needed, imo.
    Yes the new S350 is a short wheelbase model. This car is just a place holder for the next generation S350 which will have the new generation V6 rated at 268hp. Sometime during 2007 Mercedes is going to add direct injection to all of their "petrol" engines, and that should push the V6's hp closer to 280. This was a rare move to introduce a new model of an outgoing range so close to the end of production.

M
  • 2000 S430 - put a lot of miles on a trip recently, and now i have these problems, all at once:

Power steering falters and weakens
    Abs light comes on
    transmission doesn't shift smoothly and slips out of gear, dropping to neutral. sometimes i have to pull over, shut off car, restart the engine, then pull away slowly to have it go back into gear.
    When the abs light comes on, the car doesn’t want to shift, RPMs rise to 3-4000 RPMs and won't drop until the transmission slips into neutral and coasts.
    Check engine light will come on and then later shut off for a period of time.
    The SRS light will also come on every once in a while.
    none of these problems are consistent, however they all seem to be related. it even seems that the cars is more likely to malfunction when it has less than half a tank of gas???
    any thoughts or experience with this combination of problems would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
  • ejerodejerod Posts: 86
    I don't know what is going on with your S430, but I did have the airbag light come on several times. They replaced the entire air bag in the steering wheel after trying twice to make the light stay off. After finally getting a tech from Germany to come over for my car and several others they found that the wire that triggers the ABS warning light was frayed because of the way it was installed from the factory. I've had several gremlins with the S class' I've owned. They all can be traced to some elsectrical malfunction or relay. The engine is still a good old solid MB, but the rest of the car is as sappy as they come. I hear the young man that has the MB that drives it to high school. I 'd like to remind people that most of the complaints they are hearing are from people who own a 2000 or newer model year. 2000 was the year MB began introducing it's newer product lines. The main reason they are discontinuing the free maintenance is because they have been bleeding money repairing non scheduled items with all the cars. MB is seeing red and is trying to stop the red ink from flowing. ALthough they have experienced great sales advances it is because of the image they have built for themselves that echos their history and thier past. Unless this new CEO does something to restore product quality soon, MB will go the way of the dinosaur. I left the lexus dealership yesterday and I'm waiting for the 2007 LS430..They are introducing a long wheelbase LS that will compete head on with the S500-600 series. ... more horsepower, more car, and light years ahead of MB on reliability, and more of my money stays in my accounts. I bought these cars thinking I would be out of the market for at least 10 years.. but thanks to MB.. I'm 350k poorer and I still have to buy 2 new cars over the next 18 months.. a word to the wise.. if you're looking for a long term ownership experience that won't become like a bad marriage to a gorgeous gold digger, stay away from MB...
  • I'm wondering why absolutely nothing, I mean nothing was said before hand. It just seems like MBUSA put it up there. Edmunds shows nothing about it. Not even a press release has shown up. What's the deal?
    Not sure, and nobody I mean nobody saw it coming. I guess it was a last minute decision to test the market for a 6-cylinder S-Class again. Its just a placeholder car imo.

M
  • paldipaldi Posts: 210
    Is the S part of the recall? What are the details? What brand, size alternator is being replaced and with what?
  • im confused...who would buy the S350 over the E350 when it is equally fast, same amount of room, and has all of the same features and cost over $10K more? Is it ONLY for people who want the S name? :confuse:
    I recently went to my nearby MB dealer to see the new E350. Just sitting in the car I could see that it wasn't nearly as nice as an S class. There are a lot of differences, the kind you can see and the kind you can't see (like the air suspension of the S class). I would guess that the S class rides smoother and quieter, in addition to other differences. It is too bad, though, that they didn't put the new 24v engine in the S350. I presume it will get it eventually.
  • aren't all of the materials and electronics the same? I do know what you mean, after sitting in them both though.. however imo its not worth $10K..they should have made a short wheelbase S430
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Posts: 55
    I echo the prior comments about what the S has that the E doesn't, but I am intrigued about the dimensions. The swb S is almost 9 inches longer than E, with more than 4 inches more wheelbase. Yet the legroom is about the same as E, and cargo room is actually a bit less. The S does have significantly more shoulder room and better rear headroom. The space must just be used less efficiently with the shape of the S.
  • tsawyertsawyer Posts: 1
    My wife is suing MBUSA under Maine's Lemon Law for her 2003 S-430 4-matic with AMG package. She purchased this particular car for monthly commutes between our home in Maine and Savannah, GA ... in all weather.
    Her Command System fails to "wake up" regularly, but intermittently. In fact, it's been "repaired" now 10 times in 24 months. When it failed the 11th time, we asked for help on a replacement and got the Cold Shoulder from MBUSA. Now, we believe Arbitration will award her $90,000 for her car (original purchase price less minimal depreciation over the past 47,000 miles in two years).
    I'm searching the 'net for as much informaiton as I can find to present to our Arbitrator regarding similar failures (oh, her transmission leak needed major repair within 180 miles and her front strut failed late one night outside Winston-Salem while driving back to Maine!)
    Any insights you can provide would be truly appreciated.
    Tom
    BTW: We've owned 14 MB's over 30 years and still have a 2003 CLK Sport and 2002 E55 in the garage next to her S-430 ... never again!
    There is absolutely no excuse for this. Ten times for the same repair. Mercedes should have at least steered you to another dealer. This dealership is ridiculous imo. There is no way I would even want to see a person back that many times for the same repair if I were the service department manager. This car should have been bought back by MB many repairs ago. Somebody still doesn't get it.

Dare I ask how the CLK and E55 have been?

M
  • park3park3 Posts: 1
    What do you think about getting extending warranty on 2002 s430 with about 25000
    miles. Is it worth the money.
  • lmallardlmallard Posts: 2
    Hi,
    My 2001 S430 is suddenly CORRODING in many spots(door panels, wheel wells and trunk). At 57000 miles, Mcecedes Rep said "too bad" -beyond warranty.
    A 50K warranty of corrosion is way under the 100K of a KIA !! Do they really want me driving this rust bucket around town?
    Ideas, anyone?
    Leo
  • stroudmanstroudman Posts: 192
    did you purchase the vehicle new from an authorized dealer? If so, they should be willing to go to bat for you with their local reps, since you're their customer! If you are the 2nd or more owner of the car, and purchased it privately or non-CPO, then their rationale is that anything could have happened to that car while under other ownership, and it's "too bad."
  • gleunggleung Posts: 7
    I just purchased an used 2001 S class with 36k miles. It's a great car. However, after only about 50 miles on it, I notice that when it gets to about 60/65 mph on the freeway, a constant bumpy vibration starts to occur. I initially thought it was just the rough pavement. But then after a while, I realize that even on newly paved highways, the vibration continues. My question is: is this a common problem with our S-Class owners? Will an rotation/balance of tires solve this problem or is it a more underlaying "design" problem that we all face? Your opinion/experience/suggestion is greatly greatly appreciated. Should I bring the car into the local tire store for a rotation/balance or should I bring this into the dealer and pay them thru my nose... or shall I consider selling the car??? :-(