Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• I have a 2001 S500 whose Command module is defective. The only problems are that the navigator and the clock are not functioning. I was quoted $3200 by the dealership to replace the unit and I believe that there must be a cheaper alternative. Does anyone know of anyone who refurbishes or fixes these units? I am in the Los Angeles area. Thanks!
  • anoopanoop Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a 2001 S500 AMG Sport...I Fortunately purchased a three year Starmark and it only has 17700 original miles. My issue is this...the stupid EC light keeps coming on and I have had the dealer replace condensor/seals/display control modules.....and am at whits end....has any body else run into this problem...if so, how did you fix it (besides trading the car that is!)
    I need help!!!! I am having recurring A/C problems....EC light keeps coming on andturning compressor off....its holding refrigerant, and have replaced rear seals to compressor, evaporator/condensor/ and face control modules....what else can I do?!?!?! I was fortunate enough to buy the 3year Starmark, but have owned the car for 2 weeks and have only been able to drive the car 3 days.....before telling me to "get used to it"...or....."that's what you get for buying a Benz"...can anyone offer anything constructive or point me in the right direction??

=/
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    What provisions for relief does Starmark offer you? Comparable loaners while they sort it out? The right to return it and cancel the sale? Etc. I would think since is is a CPO Starmark they must have some mechanism to help.
    So far they have been giving me a 2006 C230 Kompressor for a Loaner...and they are diligently TRYING to fix the problem. It has been explained to me that the Starmark that I purchased covers everything....and have provided me broken components that have been replaced(for my viewing only to make sure I was not being gaffed). I don't know how far the Starmark Warranty goes...would they replace a used certified car under the Warranty??...Does anyone know?
    The problem was fixed and the car is running beautifully.....I love the adjustments for the suspension and am awaiting new seat rails and the car will be puuuurfect. I had my car clayed and waxed and it is every bit what I hoped for....true class. I hear everyone complaining about this car and hope to never run into those problems. These posts that I have read have been very helpfull and I hope you all get your problems resolved....happy driving for me!!!
  • mezecamezeca Posts: 66
    There is a bulletin that addresses this, and it is just a simple programming change.
  • I am looking at buying a 1993 MB 300SE for around $8,000. I'm a young investment banker who doesn't have a lot of money to throw around, but would like a car that is presentable and somewhat conmfortable. The car sounds like it is in pretty good shape, though, I have not checked it out in person. It has 115,000 miles on it and is fully loaded. I don't plan on putting more than 15,000 or so miles on it each year. I have not run CarFax on the VIN yet or had a mechanic look at it, but would do so before making the purchase. Do any of you have any suggestions for me regarding this particular year and/or model? Thanks very much.

Joe
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    Check the maintenance costs at a dealer. Are you sure you can afford to keep the car running?
  • A reporter for an influential U.S. publication is working on a piece about Mercedes and would like to hear from consumers. He’s wondering whether the recent quality problems are enough to stop consumers from buying Mercedes in the future. He also cites that Mercedes says it has worked hard to fix the various problems and is producing the best quality cars ever. He’d especially appreciated hearing from any long-time Mercedes drivers around who agree or disagree. If you have a story to share, please respond to pr@edmunds.com with your daytime and evening contact info., city/state of residence and what models of Mercedes you own/have owned, no later than Weds., Sept. 28, 2005.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I hate to give advice on used cars but I love the looks of the MB S class and I will say that you are right for wanting one, thats A LOT of car for very little money and 100.000 miles means nothing, so congruts for having a crystal clear idea for what you want. Did you think thats it..?..he he he. Now is time for you to decide.."to buy or not to buy"...You know I hope, that this particular model ('90s 300SE) had four ( 4..? ) Official factory recalls. That 8.000 is too much..? About service, As long as you will use Jiffy Lube, Mineeke, Sears and Mr. Tony down the street for servicing all is fine, dont you dare go to an official MB-service, they see nice guys like you coming from a mile away of course they will FIX EVERYTHING next to perfection BUT PREPARE TO BE POOR or better word PENNILESS for a long time. Before you buy, pay 100 to an honest guy near your home and have the car inspected with the same dynamics as both Katrina and Rita produced.
  • Hi Folks,
    Glad to find the forum, so here is my newbie post.
    I am considering a 2001 s430. The MB has 45k miles and is listed at $24990.00.
    Fair price? It seemed so to me but I am looking for a few real world examples of repairs, pitfalls, etc. I located one post indicating the instrument cluster is known for dropping dead on the job.
    Can anyone share some feedback around the total cost of ownership?

TIA-

MC
  • scapescape Posts: 1
    I just learned that I have a similar A/C problem with my 2000 S430. Apparently the refrigerant is leaking from the evaporator which means the dash needs to be removed to repair this issue. Unfortunaetly for me, my Starmark warranty ran out 3 months ago. Needless to say, it's very expensive and I'm talking to the dealership/Mercedes to get some help with this matter. Can you share any ideas that you may have received through your own experience??
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Benz S-Class in NHTSA Study

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has begun an investigation into recent versions of the Mercedes-Benz S-Class for a potential problem with the vehicle's gauges, according to the Associated Press. NHTSA has received seven complaints about speedometers and fuel gauges that failed to light on the 2000 and 2001 model-year vehicles. Seventy-two thousand S-Classes are being investigated for the problem, which could become a full recall if the agency determines the problem to be a flaw in the vehicle's design.
  • After reading through many of these comments, why is Mercedes still in business, and where do they get their reputation for quality? Certainly not from the owners. I was planning to buy a 560SL(as new), but that doesnt seem to mean much either. Is there any certain year or model or both, mercedes that one should even consider purchasing? I hear same complaints about BMW, rolls jaguar etc., and yet they seem to be able to find buyers for these higly expensive to buy cars. Anyone shed light for me>
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    500slover, come on over to the "High End Luxury Marques" forum (under Sedans) and you can join the neverending discussion of this issue. Sounds like you'll enjoy the debate.

The fact is Mercedes makes (1) great looking, (2) great handling cars that used to be (3) "built like tanks". They still succeed on (1) and (2), but have totally fallen down in point (3). For some people, 2 out of 3 is still good enough; for others, they hadn't heard the news on MB's reliability problems until after they plunked down their $70K+ and learned for themselves.

If you've got time to burn and like the coffee, perhaps you won't mind the time spent dealing with the dealer's service department. Even better, if you can have your personal assistant deal with the service department for you while you ride in one of your other fine autos, who cares about reliability?

Personally, my time is my most precious commodity, so I had to pass on the S last year when I was in the market (I still own 2 older MBs), and went with a Lexus LS430. It's a great car that I am enjoying a lot, but I would have rather gone with an S if it was even reasonably reliable. But selecting any one of even all these great and expensive cars involves compromises in some regard or other. It just comes down to how you order your own priorities between styling, handling, gadgets, brand prestige, dealer experience and reliability.
  • 5 days ago, I started to feel that 2 areas on the cushion were sticking up from the bottom and poking my butt!!! I could feel the protruding material (probably steel) by pressing on the cushion by my thumb. It seems like the cushion is thinning and that should not happen coz my S430 is only 4 years old and has 44000 miles on it. What should I do? Can someone enlighten me?
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    I was just reading about the LA auto show and the S would cost between eighty six thousand or so...How does that compare with the accessories etc that were in the previous model??...Also how much does the radar system cost that will completely stop the car? I look forward to seeing one Tony