Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. No, the SLR Vision model is not $225. Just the one of the classic car models that is in the MBUSA website. I'm curious Eric, which scale did you buy? 1:18?

Drew
    Host
    Vans and SUVs message boards
  • taisontaison Posts: 71
    We recently got our new S Class. It's a Desert Silver/Java S500 with the sport package. The pictures show it with a few coats of Zaino. My favorite picture is the view from the front. Check out the pics here and see:

http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~taisont/S500

• benznutbenznut Posts: 104
    As I have said before, I am in the market for a S Class. I finally found one from a private seller in my neighborhood in Bloomfield Hills in Michigan. It is a S 500. It is fully loaded, Expresso Designo exterior, ash interior (and believe it or not, it has leather dash, fully loaded, including ABC, Sport Package, wood package and Power Heated Individual rear seats. It is wonderful to see. It has 5400 miles and the guy is asking 99K. It is a wonderful opportunity. The only thing that is keeping me from getting it is that I want to know more about the S55 AMG. I know I will have to wait a while. Would the wait be worth for what the S55 is better than a comparably equipped S500? I have a very short time to decide. The Owner says he got it for 109 total. He wants to sell it, because his wife doesn't feel comfortable driving it in the snow with the performance tires. He took me ot on a test drive, on a deserted stretch in the I 696, where he went up to 109 miles per hour, literally humiliating whatever was on the road, while the Benz was maintaining its cool as if it was cruising at 35 mph. Very quiet. I was sold, although the price is a little soared, and if i wanted to spend this much I would have liked the 355 hp S55 capable of 155 mph. And also, I do nat have four cars 100K+ in my garage, as i have worked hard for my money, and i think my CLK 320 just is not doing it any more for me.
    Hope to hear from anybody who has driven the S55 to tell me some impressions or a wait time.
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    These things are so subjective,but I really don't see the attraction of the S55. The cladding and lower profile tires look too recherche--they just look silly on a car of this caliber. A large car can not really ever be an overtly sporting drive. If one wants a more exclusive car,the CL500 is a fabulous car. I think the styling is stunning. The tapered C-pillar is beautiful.i am really moved by this car. With the beautiful but low roof,I wish the sunroof wasn't standard. That,and the slippery and somewhat tacky wood steering wheel, are my only reservations..
  • I agree in principle with your statements, but only because of perception. It is generally acknowledged that a large car, such as the S series, can not really ever be an overtly sporting drive. For that reason, it does in my opinion look silly. In reality however, this car defies perception. With ABC and the low profile tires, this car is very impressive as a sporting drive. The appearance however is paradoxical.
  • I am in the market for a new car and am wondering if anybody has one or has seen the Designo Silver Edition interior in the new MB S500 and, if so, is it worth the additional $9750.00? I think the basic interior of the S500 is a far cry from the new Lexus LS 430's luxurious interiors. Also, does anyone know if MB plans to put the cd player in the dash for its 2002 models. They are behind the times with the cd in the trunk as at present. Thanks for any input you can provide.
  • I just purchased my new 2001 S600 today at EuroMotor Cars in bethesda,md. I love it and it was worth the wait! The V12 is amazing! the price was a little high, but i dont mind. it has all of the options and tomorrow im sending it up to ultrasmith in NY,NY to have some tvs, dvds, and other luxury items installed. i would recommend this over the 7-series anyday. great buying experience! if ya have the money, i definatley recommend it!

www.ultrasmith.com - great customisers, makes it stand out a little bit

-Dave
  • jgts1jgts1 Posts: 32
    At least for the S-Class, the Designo is nice looking (Silver and Espresso)- but $10,000!!!!....for different paint, leather, wood. Even the sales lady rolled her eyes when I asked about it.

Seriously, being different is nice...but to be honest, the Designo editions don't enhance the Sclass that much to warrant such a premium.

A standard Sclass- without a Designo package makes a strong statement.

Just my opinion.
  • Does the sports package add anything to the car except the tires, rims, and sheetmetal pieces? Any improvement to the brakes to handle the larger tires?
  • No, it doesn't. In typical Mercedes tradition, the brakes are probably over-engineered to begin with. However, if you are really concerned and you have the extra cash, check out http://www.brabus.com . Other tuners, including AMG, should have the upgrades as well.
  • Anyone have opinions on whether the price diff is justified buying the 500 over the 430? I anyone disappointed with their s430's performance? Thinking about buying one or the other (wife will only let me have one)...having a hard time to decide! I already own an ML430 already, so I sort of hate to have two cars with the same engine (at least I think it is the same engine).

Also, considering MB is using the Saturn pricing strategy for the S class, how "non-negotiatiable" is the price these days? Anyone know of good deals in the Wash DC area?
  • I'd say it depends on your driving style. I think the new 4.3 in the S430 is more than adequate. However, if you like to feel that added push leaving a stop light, then the S500 may be for you. Personally, instead of spending the extra money on the S500, I'd option up the S430 to meet your desires. Another option is to get a designo (the silver edition is great with all the extra leather from an S600) and not be that much over the price of the S500.

I have heard that some dealers are discounting a very small amount, but in a lot of markets the car is still too new and too in demand for them to discount at all.
  • benznutbenznut Posts: 104
    The difference between the S430 and S500 is not radical. You have to consider what options you want. The S500 has some of these as standarts, for which you would have to pay if you have the S430. And these are options you can't "do" wothout if you want to own an automobile of this class. For exmple, I can mention xenon light, Nappa leather etc. And you have those 27 extra horsepowers. While they may not seem enough, they can make the diference between powerful enough and excting. The S500 more of the latter, but the 430 is no slug either. If you are a person to whom numbers have little imortance, go with S430. If you are a little more on the car enthusiast side, go with the 500.
  • My recommendation would be to take each on a test drive, with the S500 going first. What I found was that the throttle response of the 500 was much more immediate and I felt much more "connected" to the car and to the road (even in winter mode in bad weather).
    I also found that if I wanted a car with specific options (had to be ordered), that the price was MSRP, but I found a dealer with a few available and got $1000 off on the exact spec. that I wanted.
    Good Luck.
  • ejerodejerod Posts: 86
    I have the 1:18 model of the SLR Vision. Now to the people considering the S430 over the S500. I looked for several months and chose the S500 with the sports package over the 430 because I love the extra oomph you get when you accelerate and you feel your body being pressed into the seat by g forces. I love it. To the person that says the 18 inch wheels on the S500/430 look silly, I'd just say I get more compliments about the agressive look of the car from other owners of S cars as well as those who don't. It's also more than image. The larger tires are stickier and handle better especially when I have the sport suspension button engaged to two. Find a quiet, winding country road, tap the button twice to initiate the sport suspension , put in your favorite cd and crank it up and just smile as the curves come up and disappear without any tire squeal ... I love this car !!!
  • I am deciding between mercedes S600 vs ultralux lexus LS430. Help me decide, please! Thank you, antlers1
    So, your up in the air about whether you want to go with the $115,000 Mercedes S600 or the $69,000 Lexus LS430...odd comparison, but I'll comment.

The S600 is positioned 1 tier lower on the food chain than a Bentley, as far as luxury and panache is concerned.

Get the S600.
  • I have a S500 currently running on original 16" wheels with Michelin Alpin winter tires (which are incredible BTW). I was thinking of buying another, larger set of wheels/tires for the other three seasons of the year. Any ideas (I kind of like the AMG 18s used with the sport pkg.)?
    Thanks
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Hey everyone,

Just to keep you all updated on the live MB chat idea. How does Tuesday, March 5th at 5-6pm Pacific sound? This will be our premiere chat, and it should be a weekly thing after that. All MB owners and enthusiasts (C-class, CL-class, CLK-class E-class, G-class, M-class, S-class, SLK-class, SL-class) are welcome to participate, of course.

Please let me know!

Drew
    Host
  • At $3K I like the chrome AMG 220's at tirerack.com (that includes 4 Dunlop SP9000s BTW).

At $5K I like the Brabus V, 3 pc. wheels (silver), or the Lorinser LM1 (chrome), both at tmengineering.net. They don't sell tires but I've figured that into the $5K.

I don't have either of these right now. I'm still trying to find a way to justify the additional $2K!

Check them out.
  • vs4vs4 Posts: 70
    Does anybody has any information on 2002 model of E430 and S430?

Is it true that they might be dropping S430 totally and sell S500 at S430 price as Infiniti's new Q45 has 340 hp engine?

I also read on MotorTrend's website(update) that Mercedes will be introducing new E in 2002 rather than in 2003 as it says here on Edmunds FutureTelling section.

Thanks for all of you sharing your knowledge.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    The S430 won't be dropped. The next E-Class is due for 2003 in the U.S. spring of 2002 for Europe...in other words we get it in the fall of 2002 as a 2003 model. Mercedes would almost never drop the new S430, but a power increase may be due for 2003 when the S-Class gets its first face-lift.

M
  • I was in a dealership the other day perusing a new S-430 when approached by a salesman whom almost immediately told me that pricing was non-negotiable. Now I don't know about you folks but I can say that I have negotiated virtually everything in my life. I don't see why a car should be any different. I am quite confident that MB negotiates the prices of the various components that go into the building of the car. MB states that they want to make sure that two different parties don't pay dissimilar prices for the exact car...What ? like they are trying to do me some kind of a favor! Any luck negotiating ???
  • wbwynnwbwynn Posts: 246
    Tell him to stick it in his ear...it's all negotiable...guess they never heard the word RECESSION...

Start low and stick to your guns....I just did that on an LS430 and saved quite a bit. Be patient....and good luck.
  • A friend of mine just offered his 2000 S 500 to me with 7,000 miles. Needs to break a lease and dump it. Is $70,000 a deal I shouldn't refuse? I've been thinking about a new 01 E430 and pricing them close to $60k. Note: I haven't even driven the I yet.

Any quick response appreciated as need to make a decision by the weekend
  • If a sales guy tells you its non-negotiable and lets you walk away, it is non-negotiable. It's all about supply and demand. There's a guy that will walk through the door, probably that same day, and pay what he wants so why should he make it any cheaper. I hate car sales guys, but frankly I would do the same thing. Ask for what the market will bear...

As for the 70K deal on the 2000. It's probably $3-4 less than what he could actually get for it with a little patience. Not to mention lux tax savings, gas guzzler tax, etc...
    "you hate car sales guys"...why, your damn straight you would do the same thing- huh, new concept...try and sell your product for the highest price that you can get away with...it doesn't matter what you are selling, supply and demand is key.

You don't think that Brabus is sticking it straight in your you know what by asking $5k for wheels!!! But they can, due to the wonderful reputation they built for themselves....don't get me wrong, I love Brabus products (but went with the W220 AMG's).

The new Sclass was brought out to be a "fixed" price car...thats why the profit margin went down so significantly...trust me, Benz salespeople don't like telling people the car isn't negotiable. It seems some dealers are discounting it, depends on your geographic location.
  • Owners / S diehards .....Any noteworthy problems with your 2000 S 500? Is the 01 greatly improved?1st year intro cars are generally full of bugs. Test drove today and was impressed. Greatly appreciate any quick response. Thanks
  • I just received my Designo Silver S600. If you are ever deciding between the S55 and S600,pick the S600. It is really and incredible vehicle. I tested the BMW 750iL, and I really like the features and styling of the S600. I had to wait over a year and received it on Monday from Smythe European,(largest MB dealer west of the Mississippi, or so they say) and it sure was worth it.

The V12 sure is powerful and I sure can vouch that it can propel you to 60mph in a little over 5 seconds. If anyone says that the S55 is faster, that is incorrect because I tested both and the S600 is faster. The ABC works great and I love adjusting the ground height and changing between the Sport and Normal Mode. It really does take the lean out, I didn't think it would work this good. Also I did get retailer installed wheels, not the AMG ones, but these others, it was kind of expensive, but they look great.

I was able to get them to put on the new Keyless Go which is neat since I can walk up and open the doors and just click a button and takeoff. The voice activated features work okay. It isn't the best but it is a nice feature. The COMAND system works good, a lot better than a lot of people on this forum say. The sound system is excellent and in my opinion one of the best car audio systems I have heard.

Just for everybodies information, I asked how long the current wait for an S-Class is, they said that at all of the dealers, it is at least
    2-years. So they will not, negotiate the price, they simply do not have enough vehicles going around. Actually I even paid several thousands of dollars to recieve my vehicle early. So good luck anyone out in the market.

NJ
  • taisontaison Posts: 71
    It is a 2 year wait for an S-Class? Do you mean for an S600 or for all S's at your dealership?
This discussion has been closed.