Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• aeggroupaeggroup Posts: 130
    Hi drudru1.
    Thanks for advice, but if I'd like to buy Pontiac - I'd ask about Pontiac, but unfortunately I wanna buy MB or Lexus :))) . I agree that G8 is a nice car, but it does not fit in my vision of luxury car. It's probably very good sport sedan, that losing value like any american car after 2 years almost to zero :))
    Good luck to you anyway.
  • drudru1drudru1 Posts: 6
    The first, the S is NICE!! The second, the ML(03) is a piece of junk!!!! I can't name all that has gone wrong with it, I would be up all night. But in general one of the mirrors doesn't work, the power steering pump has failed twice, one of the heated seats has failed, the radio just died taking the cd player with it, one of the catalytic converters needed to be replaced, the so-called pumped for the brakes went out, my wife backed into the basketball goalpost at about 1 MPH, the bumper cracked down the middle and detached from both ends. I've only spoken with two other owners, neither were happy. One of them got rid it after one year. Every time I decided to get rid of mine, something else happened. At any rate.........

The dealer wanted 900 bucks to repair the radio, I've found there are very few people that will come near those radios. I refused to spend any more money on it, I therefore drove around about a year and half without a radio. I finally broke down and bought a KENWOOD touch screen with a DVD/CD play to replace it. The brake situation is kind of weird. When you are not applying the brake you get this loud hissing sound, when you apply the brake it stops. According to the dealer this does not create a dangerous situaion, if you can live with the noise??? Mind you most of these of these problems occurred within the first 3 to four years. Trust me, you are going to recommend them to all of your enemies.
    No problem, and thanks. I do own a 97 S,and a 03 ML. I bought the 97 used (2000). I realized very quickly how fast they too lose their value. In f act that was the reason I was able to afford it in the first place. But don't take my word for it, shop for a used S just for the record. In my opinion 20 years ago that would have been have been true, but no longer. Price one that's 2 or 3 years old. The used one will be bargain in comparison. At one time the car was not a buy, but an investment as well, not to mention the prestige. Now you'll have the presige because the name lives on, it's called marketing.

On another note, as if you have nothing else to do, go by a MB dealer's "Service" area and you'll find more ML's there than any of the models, but you'll also find plenty of them on the road, marketing.

PEACE, AND BE WELL.
    Hi.
    I wanna go to dealers’ action and buy 2 years old car, that still on warranty for 2 years. Based on what I see - today you can easily buy S with about 25K-30K on it for about 40 grand. I think it's a good price. if you sell it after 2 years of ownership and calculate how much you lost - it will be a lot less than to lease this car brand new. So, you have a car, which is on warranty and you pay almost half of standard lease price. I think it's a good deal. What do you think?
    Actually that sounds like a pretty darn good idea, if for no other reason than the fact that leasing is never a good idea unless your own a business according to the money pros, I tend to agree with them.
    I, actually, own a business and I'm leasing cars almost 15 years already. I'm always write it off from taxable income. I spoke to my accountant and the difference between leasing and owning the car is: when you own it - you can't write off your payment. The biggest amount you can write off is $1500 a year, BUT....and this is the best part, you can write off 50 cents for each mile you drive :)). Now there is the question - who knows how many miles I'm driving ? So, if you driving. let's say 15K a year - this is 75 hundred bucks plus 15 hundred, which is allowed. At the end it's $9000 a year plus gas, insurance and repair expenses. All it comes to very good non taxable amount. I think there is a logic in my story.
  • stunyccpastunyccpa Posts: 27
    Not all true. First of all if you finance a vehicle you can still write off payments in addition to depreciation because you now own the car.

The IRS for tax year 2009 allows a tax deduction of 55 cents per mile for business miles driven. The 55 cents per mile is an estimate of per mile cost of total vehicle usage and therefore in that 55 cents includes gas, insurance, tolls, etc. You're other option is to document your business usage and keep all of your receipts. Because that requires alot of time and being neat and organized the IRS gives the other option of 55 cents per mile. Usually keeping records and finding out the true cost will result in higher deductions, so the IRS punishes the lazy with a much lower rate.

I'm not sure where you are getting an automatic $1,500 write off but logically that doesn't make sense.

If I buy a 100,000 Mercedes, BMW, etc. I pro rate my expenses: gas, insurance, repairs, tolls, etc. & also take a depreciation deduction over the life of the vehicle. Say I drive 15,000 miles a year & 8,500 of those are for business. 56.67% of my costs should be expensed throught the business plus depreciation & the other portion is personal and should be paid out of pocket.
    Thanks for info. I will confirm it with my accountant.
  • bellheadbellhead Posts: 7
    The top front of my 2006 S430 drivers seat is like a hard, raised lump and is painful as it pushes up into the back of my leg. I guess this is "thigh support." (It's more like torture.) I'm thinking of taking it to a good car reupolstery shop to maybe
    replace the hard foam with something a lot softer and flatter. Any thougths on
    the wisdom of this? Thanks in advance.
  • Hello all-
    I am thinking about upgrading (in size) from a 06 E350 4matic to a 2004 S-class, either a S500 or S430, both w/ the 4 matic.

Does anyone out there have any advice on the reliability of the 2004 models? Nervous about the age, but so far, my 06 E has been solid, no issues at 54K miles.

Also, I checked trade in values of both and they appear to be similar. Anyone recently purchase a used 2004 or 2005 S-class and share their price range? I am looking at 2 vehicles in the 50K mile range. Boston area.

Thanks for any input.
  • rockypaulrockypaul Posts: 104
    I may have just the fleet.

Purchased new a 2003 S-430 and a 2007 E350 Wagon, both 4-Matics.

Not my first M-B's but as I insist on 4-Matic in all my cars and suv's my experience has been terrific in all matters: service, sales and customer satisfaction.

E class vehicles seem to have more service bulletins and I recommend getting them to a dealer for at least an oil and filter change so that all can be updated annually.

The S class is a truly great road trip car getting an easy 26 mpg. Oddly the E gets the same mpg on our numerous trips from NY to FL.

Unless you buy a M-B certified preowned vehicle you will be without warranty protection. This can be expensive. There is always something that never goes wrong but does so in the one you get. The M-B CPO would get you 3 more years and 100k mi.

A well documented maintenance record is your best predictor of future longevity. Also, a Carfax is a must.

Good luck!
    I got the same situation. My E lease coming to the end, I hate 2010 E and I'd like to buy 2007 S550 used with about 30-35K miles on it from dealer’s action and from what I see - the difference between CPO and regular car from action can be up to $15K. Even for S Class - it's a lot of repairs :))) It's not always good to buy CPO. If you got good trusted mechanic, which knows MB cars it cost a lot cheaper to fix it there instead of a dealership. Another case, if you bought your car with remainder of factory warranty - you can buy extended warranty from MB ( factory warranty, not third party ), but it cost about $3K for 3 years
  • I'm thinking about purchasing an extended warranty for my 2006 S500. The 6yr/75,000 is $3300. The 7yr/75,000 is for $3800. Has anyone had any problems with any dealers not covering what the warranty says?
  • Who are the idiots that engineered MB trunk locking systems. I bought a new $115k loaded S550 and didn't realize that MB does not offer an automatic locking and unlocking feature that ALL other manufacturers do. Even my Chevy Corvette unlocks as you approach and locks when you leave. What makes thing worse you can not lock the trunk and leave it locked. Once you unlock the cabin the trunk unlocks, should you "step away" from your car, the contents of your trunk are exposed. From time to time, I will carry large sums of money, gold bullion, golf clubs. Last week, a criminal lifted my trunk and took a $1200 briefcase with 8 car titles, my check book and a Macbook.

My dealer was clueless as was the MB hotline. Now I remember why I switched to Lexus a few years ago. :mad:
  • Not sure what the 07 warranty is. 50k I think. Nobody in their right mind wants to own one of these potential bombs past the warranty period. The premium for an extended warranty will tell you what the insurance company thinks of their potential for a huge loss. Extended warranties are upwards of $4000. . .a lot more than a Lexus LS.

I had an 07 and was FORCED to trade it on an 08. I took it in for the 30k mile service. The dealer ran some high pressure super duper MB approved fuel sys. cleaner thru it and the motor never ran the same. It wouldn't hold a steady idle, with a periodic misfire @ idle. After 7 or 8 trips back to the dealer where they kept the car for weeks at a time, I found out that they had torn the "top end" of the engine down AND STILL DIDN'T FIGURE IT OUT! Not wanting to own a car with a engine that had been torn down by the Insane Clown Posse, I traded it for a new one, taking a huge loss.

These cars are complicated, finicky and require expensive service. They ride great, handle good and have more prestige than anything but a Bentley.

A Lexus will always be better and that is what I am going to trade my S-Class as soon as I can. If you have a big ego (like me), get the Benz. If your smart get the Lexus.
  • Sounds like MBBS to me. There were some problems with the 07 S's because the infallible concerned engineers literally ran out of "alignment shims" and instead of holding up production, sent the cars to America without the shims. The figured they would fix them @ the dealer level. However, they never notified anyone, just waited for the customers to complain! When I complained, I had already ruined a set of front tires. Nice! :(
  • I purchased a 2006 S500 back in September and it also pulls to the right. I had the wheels aligned, but still pulls to the right but not as hard. I thought maybe this vehicle was in an accident, but the carfax didn't show any indication. I talked with the tech and he didn't see anything wrong with the front end. So I guess i'm stuck with it for a while.
  • prab1prab1 Posts: 1
    i bought car new in 2000
    the mass meter went bad after 4 yrs with 45000 miles
    warranty would not cover , i called the 800 number and wnted to speak to teh managera - i was told accourdign to policy they will not let me talk to the manager.
    upon my protest that Benz should not have such a part failure
    he replied - this is a 4 yr old car , parts fail, and this is not a benz part , it is by Bosch
    1 yr later the drvie door woudl not pull in.
    diagnosed that the vac pump is gone bad. did not make sense since the otehr 3 doors and the trunk lid pulled in fine.
    they replaced the vac pump/ motor
    still did not work
    they tool apart the door and after that it worked fine. ! was the vac pump bad -i do not think so
    3 yrs later, 8 yr old car with 50000 miles , the pasenger belt stuck - the belt aswswembly had to be replaced
    todl dealer - never heard the belt going bad on any car - he said they replace 2 - 3 every month
    My brother has s 500, he had the mass flow meter go bad on his too
    I am done buying Benz
    bad quality and bad service -
  • the left rear shock is dropping during night until the ext temp. have dropping at minest 20 celcius
    when i start the vehicule,the shock go up at is normal position
    anyone know what is the problem or where i can found the answer
    i don't want to go to the dealer
    tank's
  • did ya ever find out what the deal was with youre mb not starting? was it the alternator..im having similar issues but my mb wont attemt to start unti i finally get in to nuetral..and even then the sun roof seems like it doesnt have enough power to open up as fast as it used to..along with other power..it all started with me leaving the key on the on position for about 2 days!!! any feedback besides me being a knuckle-head? :cry: