Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    I bought Q-Clips for my MPV a couple of weeks ago and you need Q-34 clips for the front and Q-110 clips for the rear, $48 at REI for the set. You also need 58" bars (at least). These are for the 2000/2001 vans, and unless Mazda did something drastic in the door openings, which I seriously doubt, these clips will still work for the 2002 van.

Mine went on lickity split once I adjusted the bars around for the different width between my MPV and my Volvo. Took 20 minutes to be ready to rock and roll. My mountain bikes fit up there w/o a problem with the length and I already hauled an extension ladder to the mil's for some spring roof cleanup.

/java
  • Hmmm.... Interesting suggestion. Our MPV is silver, so maybe I can actually get away with putting in bolts without painting them. I'm just a little annoyed that Mazda does not provide something so simple.
    Why not get a couple of carriage bolts? I'd imagine they'd work very well in this application, no?

/j
  • mazda_guymazda_guy Posts: 183
    How about installing custom license plate? It will look better than any kind of plugs.

MB

• sweet_subiesweet_subie Posts: 1,394
    I recently moved my Houston. Most Mazda dealers that I came across, I bought one in Houston, are SLEAZY !

Do not pay more than 300 to 400 over invoice. The dealerships in Houston cook their own invoices tooooooo.......be careful to check the invoice price.......on dealers website, Like QuirkCars.com in MA.
  • oldstyleoldstyle Posts: 41
    Just remember if you use lag bolts or any thing else steel, make sure to use 316th stainless so they will not rust and discolor the bumper.
  • Several have noticed the poor position of the gearshift lever in the middle of the instrement panel. It appears to me it would be simple for the lever to be bent further upward to get it out of the way. Surely the manufacturer could do this at the factory. Is there a good reason why Mazda has not changed it yet? Does anyone know if it is possible to bend the lever upward without damaging anything?

2002 LX
    Not that easy to change. Depending in what position you place lever (D, R, N, 2, 3) something is going to be obstructed. Moreover, when the steering column is adjusted up and down that also changes position of the gearshift lever. I guess they had to compromise.

MB
  • bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    In Texas you have to have a front license displayed on your horse...er, automobile.
    Of course, this is contrary to what 90% of Texans think...
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Same here in CA. It's more of a technicality the officers use to pull people over at will.

When I turned 16, I took my father's car out one night which didn't have a front plate on it for the 5 years he had it. Within 45 minutes of me leaving the house I was on the side of the road looking for his registration (which he had in his wallet). Needless to say, I got a fix-it ticket for both the license plate and registration.

Another time I was out in my VW van and had stopped in the quickie mart that was on the corner of a known drug dealing street. Just as I pulled out of that street I was pulled over by a zealous young officer who said I had no front plate. After the incident above, I made sure there was one, but I took the officer at his word. After he looked me over and figured that I wasn't a typical pot-head he relaxed a bit. I then asked again if he was sure I didn't have a front plate. He walked around front and said, "Oh, there is one there; sorry for the confusion." He then sent me on my way. @$$#@!&

Since my early 20s I have left the front plate off every vehicle I have had and have never been pulled over for it.
  • modeltmodelt Posts: 12
    Reading back several posts I see that I'm not alone with this problem. Since day 1 after I bought my LX, I've been getting zapped every time I get out of the car. I can see the spark when my hand is about 1/4 inch from the car. If I avoid touching anything metal on the car, I would get zapped when I open a door or touch anything else metal. Yesterday I finally get tire of this and sold my car...j/k. I bought an anti-static spray at a local market's laundry detergent stand and no more painful shock. Hope it will last for awhile before I need to re-spray my driver seat.
  • danandkatdanandkat Posts: 67
    On page D1 of today's (4/30/02) Wall Street Journal is an interesting article regarding how some new car buyers find it worthwhile financially to purchase a vehicle from a dealer that isn't local. These folks just use local dealer for test drives, and then get on the internet/phone to shop for best deal. Certain discounts are only regional, some dealer may be overstocked or more willing to deal, or a dealer may have the exact options/color etc. desired. In any event, these buyers find that the money saved on the car purchase more than offsets the cost of travelling to get it. Worthwhile reading for anyone considering a purchase--even if you are not planning to travel to buy. danandkat
    Modelt, I was always zzzzzaped when I had VW with velour seats (now I got smarter and I got leather) and I developed a technique for getting out of the car without being electrocuted. Here is how it works. When you stop your car open the door while holding firmly to some metal part on the door. While still holding the door step out and touch the ground with your foot. This way you are grounded and electrostatic charge will go directly to the ground instead of jumping from your hand to the door. Another way to avoid zzzzaping - Get Leather LOL.

MB
  • modeltmodelt Posts: 12
    Mazda_guy, I would have got leather if it didn't come with the power door. I'm thinking of getting after market leather when my cloth seats are worn out, if they ever worn out. Interesting way of getting out of the car there. I'll try it later on the passenger side. Guess I can still use my anti-static spray as air freshener.
  • bobg16bobg16 Posts: 4
    Here in California front plates are required.
    Reason is so they can photograph the front of your car at intersection if you run a red light.
    Cameras are located on utility poles at busy intersections for that reason.
    Here in Irvine, CA they have a couple of those where it photographs the driver's pic from the front and then get's the license plate from the back of the car.
  • otishotish Posts: 59
    Ummm maybe it is my electrifying personality or something like that but I get shocked most of the time when getting out of my MPV and I have leather seats. It may also be the child behind me building up the static electricity by kicking my seat a lot.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Posts: 248
    I'm almost used to the electric shock which we have had since we get our 2000 LX. However it does seem go away in summer most of the time (must be humidity). But winters are pretty painful. But I got used to it. In fact, I begin to enjoy it. :-) Yeah, perversion, I know... But that's all of our nature anyway. LOL.

BTW, it also matters what you wear. Synthetic fiber will give your more shock than, say, cotton.

Anyway, never thought of selling the van because of that.
    I have read somewhere in Edmunds newsgroups that someone had installed aftermarket leather and in fact it looked better than original factory.

Alex1n be careful don't enjoy too much cause one day you may get an orgasm and then what??? LOLROF

MB
  • kczmudzinkczmudzin Posts: 39
    I'm not sure if anybody has noticed but to have GFX package one has to also get the moon roof. But I thought that moon roof ccouldn't be had with the future DVD option. What's the story? Also, why would the marketing research indicate that people who want GFX also want moon roof?

kcz
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    We have installed classic soft trim leather in quite a few cars...and yes, the quality is a little better than most manufacturers factory leather. The only bad part is the costs are higher than factory installed.

Rich
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Got some solid info today on the MPV entertainment system...

--plays dvd, mp3 and audio cd's
    --self contained roof mounted system
    --FM modulated through the vehicles radio system
    --2 infa-red headphones included
    --7'' screen with wide angle capabilities
    --large, easy to use remote control
    --front facing remote sensor so DVD can be controled from all seats, including front seats with remote.
    --selectable aspect ratio
    --outputs for video games or camcorder
    --outputs for wired headphones
    --lighted controls on DVD unit

Mid to Late May 2002 launch...Entertainment is port installed. No prices on the spec sheet.

Rich
    It's available with or without moonroof.
    WTG Mazda... you hit another homer on the entertainment system! That thing has some great features!

/j
  • doublel9doublel9 Posts: 9
    Will take delivery of Sage Green MPV ES w/moonroof on Sat. Paying $250 over invoice. But, got dealer to throw in 5 years worth of oil changes (10 changes total). so feel I got pretty close to invoice and he is one of three local Queens NY dealers. I'm pumped. Just hope this wind noise debate is fueled by hyper-critical owners who think they're buying an LS 430.

A bit on what I found out about current pricing: 1. I was in the DC area this week and visited a $1 over invoice dealer. Read the fine print folks -- $299 Processing Fee on all sales! So, the deal is similar to what I got in NY 200-300 over invoice! FitzMall is good but it seems best deals are on strippers.(Vans w/ few options.)
    2. Got a quote from Autobytel at $350 over. Guy calls me back yesterday and says he has two ES's available at $300 BELOW invoice if i close by 4/30 (end of month) Swears he is not scamming and gives me VIN of both vans. I beleive that this was legit (Maxon Mazda) but didn't want Silver or Sand -- can you say everyone and their grandmother? -- so I paid the extra to get the Sage ES w/roof as there was only ONE in entire Northeast from the local who had located the car.

Moral of the story: Pay more than $300 over invoice, you are not doing your homework.

A question: what prices have others got on Extended Warranty from dealer? Thoughts on Dealer Warranty vs Warranty Gold? And finally, to extend warranty or not?
  • celio66celio66 Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I recently got a quote from a mazda dealer on Hillside Ave. in Queens, NY for $380 over invoice on a midnight blue ES w/4 seasons, roof rack, fog light, bumper step plate, and cd changer, Is it a good price?

Double19, Can you tell me which 3 dealers in Queens did you visited? and what are their quotes?

Thanks
  • daddyo4daddyo4 Posts: 7
    Picked up our '02 ES, fog, 4 season, 6 cd, mud, moon, spoiler, step and rack in sand metallic. $100 over invoice. So far so good - it drove home nice! No GFX, no DVD, no auto mirror. Mirror will be installed after factory in a week. When my daughter is facing forward, we'll shop for DVD's. Pretty positive buying experience in SE MI. CJP
    This week I was paying special attention to the wind noise level and here it is what if found out. On Sunday we took a 15 miles trip to our friend's house. In the morning, while we were driving, weather was great with wind outside 0-2 mph. The first signs of wind noise inside the MPV we noticed at 60 MPH but you had to really pay attention with the radio off. At 80 MPH you could clearly hear the wind noise but it wasn't so bad.

When we were coming back in the late afternoon the same route the wind speed outside was about 10-15 mph. This crosswind had considerable effect on the wind noise level inside the car. While driving at 40 MPH the wind level was of that in the morning while driving at 80 MPH. I can confirm that with crosswinds there is significant increase in wind noise level but IMO not to the point that it would be unacceptable.
    MB
    Audia8q, may I ask if when you install aftermarket leather do you do seats only or the lining of the doors' panels as well?

MB
    daddy, congratulations on your new car. Enjoy it! Speaking of mirror, in your post did you refer to the rear view mirror with compass and ext temp? Do you know if this can be installed by a dealer once you bought without it?

Is it aftermarket mirror of factory?

MB