Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• beachnutbeachnut Posts: 291
    Hey, that's a nice way to end a week, huh?! Hmmm ... Coastal Blue and a rear spoiler ... schweeeet! Enjoy!

SC
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    No state or government agency has any ability to dictate who does or doesnt get charged a doc fee with the S-plan.

Selling prices are not regulated by government agencies....
  • smarssmars Posts: 32
    Thanks Linda. I am planning to go to Montgomery this afternoon. I'll ask for Chris Paine.
  • bean3422bean3422 Posts: 183
    Yet another tip I have picked up over the last few months on this group. Thanks for the reminder though.

Well, now that I am going to be an owner, I will keep checking the group out for a totally different reason.

Although,LOL, knock on wood, hopefully I never have to post on the problems area.

Thanks for the congrats...hopefully Java is not drinking green coffee today...of course, he wants another dark green van, not a coastal blue. So maybe he won't be too jealous ;-)
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    WTG, and welcome to ownership, lucky! Prolly won't end up w/ a green van when I convince the wife she *has* to have a 2002... I'm wanting GFX. Black... black sounds nice!

Many happy and safe miles, oh and keep on posting your experiences!

/java, who is drinking coffee (hair of the dog...) or he'll have a caffiene headache now. :)
  • goldsu1goldsu1 Posts: 3
    I just got a call from the local dealer that the car I was interested in came in this morning. It is a white LX with 4 seasons, security pkg, rear air, roof rack, and bumper step. The price he quoted me for the car was 23,381.00 plus tax and tags, delivered. I asked him about the $1000 incentive. He said he hadn't heard of it, but it is paid to the dealer and it is up to the owner how it is used. He wasn't mean about it, just a little surprised. How should I pursue this? How much should I reasonably bargain for of the incentive. The $23,381.00 is not negotiable at this dealer, it is a supposedly $100 over invoice.
  • doublel9doublel9 Posts: 9
    goldsu: demand the 1K -- or AT LEAST $800 of it -- or WALK AWAY from the deal. Know that there are plenty of dealers in a 50-100 mile radius of you who will give you near invoice PLUS the incentive. If you need a comprehensive list that gives you all Mazda dealers within 100 miles got to: www.driversseat.com. This is the NADA site and it is GREAT. Gives you all dealers and phone/fax/e-mail info in two clicks.

Make some calls/faxes/e-mails to near dealers, tell them the price you have been offered by the local and tell them you want the incentive. Let these dealers know that you are CLOSE to buying from the first dealer so that they need to "step to the plate" if they're interested in selling you a car. Get him/her to fax/e-mail the price to you (which he should be willing to do). You can even leave a credit card deposit at the dealer to get a dealer written quote as long as they write and SIGN that the deposit is NON-BINDING on the quote sheet.

This should catch the attention of the dealer who is witholding YOUR incentive. If not, simply go to the new dealer and buy.
  • pjd58pjd58 Posts: 366
    Hope you enjoy your new ride! Maybe your Wife will let you drive it once in a while:) My Wife keeps my butt out of the driver's seat! She says " It's my van and it's a blast to drive". Hmm, it's time for the 15,000 mile service on our 01 LX. I guess I'll have to drive the van to work next week:)

Pjd58
  • goldsu1goldsu1 Posts: 3
    Thank you for the advice, that is what we will do!
  • smarssmars Posts: 32
    I'm looking for an LX with 4 seasons, rear air, and no roof rack. I wanted the 4 seasons so that I could have the option of larger towing capacity. I didn't want the roof rack due to the noise issues I've read about. I figured I could always add a Thule or other after market rack if I needed one.

The dealer said he checked, and all the 4 season pkgs are going to the NE or other cold weather climates. Does this sound reasonable? Has anyone in the SE been able to get 4 seasons? He also told me I could add the trans and engine oil cooler after market to get the added towing capacity without creating any warranty issues. Sounds fishy to me, but I guess I'd be OK with this if I could get it in writing. Anybody have an idea what this might cost to add after market?

The last issue is the roof rack. He said he pulled a listing of everything (LX) in stock in the SE, because all the '02s he had seen had the rack. About 95% came with it. Its interesting that over half the vans in the sales literature don't have the rack.

At least the rear AC was no problem, dealer said that was in every one he has seen. Mazda sure seems to have interesting marketing practices, options you can't get, and others that are virtually standard. Guess its like the old model T, you could get that in any color you wanted, as long as the color you wanted was black.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,555
    "the MPV is at once elegant and sporty, practical and plenty fast. And it's jam packed with features you'll love -- and need."

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Car Review Column

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

If you decide to jump ship, Subaru has your color:

kohall "Subaru Forester" May 3, 2002 7:01pm

Steve
    Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• warankwarank Posts: 5
    I bought Mazda MPV on 04/08/2002 , Will I get the 1000 USD rebate,I am going to talk to the dealer tommorrow. Is the rebate is there in CA
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    I had to order a van in order to get the 4 seasons package here in California without the roof rack. Some dealers here seem to order more base LX models, and others go for the loaded versions. Most of the loaded versions have 4 seasons, and almost all come with roof racks here (both LX and ES)...

One thing--4 seasons package includes rear heat---you can't get rear heat aftermarket.
  • prlamzprlamz Posts: 78
    Our LX came without sunroof and with 4 season package. We had to wait a couple of weeks for it, no more. We're in California. This was our first ever new car purchase; my advice to you is, if you want it, get it; a few weeks of wait beats years of regrets.
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    That's too funny! I'm sure it'll be a really cool color w/ lots of character, lol. Too bad I don't like Subarus (awaits the bolt o'lightning...), uh, not that there's anything wrong w/that.

/j
  • dronatordronator Posts: 3
    Hi all. I've been reading these posts for awhile but this is my first time posting. Let me explain my situation and see what you suggest. My wife and I have two children (2 1/2 and 3 mos.). My wife drives a 96 Lumina right now but it's kind of a tight squeeze at times to get the kids in and out and my 89 Accord may not make it too much longer. Anyway, we're looking for a minivan and I've narrowed it down to MPV, Odyssey, and Venture. I personally like the MPV the best (hence posting it in this forum) but my only concern is whether it will be spacious enough for our family as the kids grow up. My wife will be driving around town but she would like to keep a stroller in the back and have room for groceries, etc. Is there anyone in a similar circumstance who has used the vehicle as a family mover. Is it sufficient? Thanks in advance and I apologize if I've rambled on too much.
    Maybe you can buy a can of that "Java Black Pearl" from the Soob dealer and paint the doghouse or something :-)

Steve
    Host

• pjd58pjd58 Posts: 366
    Our MPV has plenty of room for our family of 4(9&5 years). The Venture seems to have less room than the MPV, and a questionable safety rating. The Ody is the largest van of the 3 you mentioned. I just couldn't buy a van that handles like a truck and costs substantially more than the MPV. If you Wife is accustom to driving a sedan, the MPV will be the best choice.

If you are considering a third child in the near future, I would recommend a Sienna since it has a split fold down third row. The Ody and MPV limit your cargo capacity with 3 kids on board, since the 3rd row doesn't split.

JMO, good luck!

Pjd58
  • dulnevdulnev Posts: 652
    Forgive me, but it sounds like a silly question. A good sized 4-door sedan is big enough for a family of 4. So of course ANY minivan is going to be big enough. As someone else mentioned, the question only becomes valid if you have 5 or more people or have dogs. The MPV is a perfect vehicle for a family of 4. Ody is going to be way too big and Venture is just not a good vehicle to be seriously considered, if one is contemplating Odyssey and the MPV.
  • oldstyleoldstyle Posts: 41
    But must be very quiet, Ole Blue, Coastal that is, is sleeping in our garage. You know how stressfull those first nights away from home can be--LOL. What a Sat.!!

First drove the 7-year old, 136K, 95 Quest across the border (into PA) for the last time and ordered our new Homecrest patio table, chairs, and glidder for the Mrs. :)

Rushed back across the border, dropped the golden retriever off at home, and drove 50 miles to meet a new friend who's been waiting for us since Monday. You guessed it, a 2002 MPV LX.

The 50 mile trip back home was a JOY! The MPV drove awesome. Very quite, low wind noise (no rack). Funny, the dealer tried to convince me I needed a rack, or at the least, a spoiler. Now that she has seen two MPVs without racks, she thinks they look more sporty without them. That's what I thought--SOUL of a sports car!!

One problem, how do I keep members of the phylum arthropoda from suicidally jumping, err, flying into the front of the MPV---LOL---spent a good 30 minutes cleaning off the front bumper and lower hood.

Any way, I must say a special thanks is due all the great people who make up this forum. I have leaned so much in the short time I have been with you. Well, I need a another Mich. Light and the little one needs a kiss goodnight--not Ole Blue--our 8 yr. old.

OldStyle
  • evaddaveevaddave Posts: 156
    I think the only thing you can do is slow down. That's just really tough to do with all that zoom-zoom in the van's soul. :)
  • dronatordronator Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice. We are possibly planning on a 3rd child, but not for another 2-3 years. I hadn't thought about the Sienna but maybe we'll look into it. I've just been reading about the sludge on their engines and it's made me a little hesitant. I appreciate everyone's comments and feedback on the issue. I apologize if the question seemed silly. I know that a minivan will give us more storage than a sedan. Perhaps I should have asked whether the MPV would give enough room *compared* to other brands. Sorry for the confusion. I'll drop the Venture from the equation (the $3500 rebate was tempting) and throw the Sienna in. Thanks again!
  • I'am possibly looking to tow a boat with my 2000 MPV. Has any one here done any type of towing with there 2000+ MPV.
  • owr084owr084 Posts: 46
    I was just on the MazdaUSA.com website building my MPV for the umpteenth time and I noticed that they updated the options with a DVD Entertainment System for $1200 (MSRP). So, now the obvious questionss are: What is it? What are the specs? And when will it be available?

RBB
  • bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    Don't believe all you read or hear about the "sludge" issue on the Sienna. I have one and it runs fine. I also have an MPV - that's the one I love. It drives like a sports car but gives you a very nice ride for a van and has plenty of room (quick fold down rear seat - Sienna seats are heavy to remove).
    The Sienna is heavier and drives like it - although smooth. The MPV is much more manuverable, easier to park, and in my opinion, has as much room as the Sienna inside.
    Being an owner of both I can only say what ever matches your wants and likes. Take a drive in both on various roads - curves and freeway. That will tell you. I haven't had a problem with either one - but I wash & wax the MPV more... :))
  • lal_cltlal_clt Posts: 27
    The dealers in NC have been under the misconception that under law if doc fees are charged to one person, then they have to be charged to everyone. This idea apparently came from a meeting where a rep from the AG's office was misquoted or mis interpreted. Of course, we all know that this misconception is favorable to the dealers since they get to pocket the doc fees! The Attorney General's office specifically stated to me that if the s-plan rules prohibit doc fees, then they are not to be charged. I have the e-mail from them to prove it.
    I don't think the govt is regulating prices but simply stating that there is no rule that says doc fees must be charged to everyone.
  • wkb4447wkb4447 Posts: 14
    I wonder why critics don't rate the MPV higher than they do. Is it because it's a Ford?
  • sritrovatosritrovato Posts: 20
    Is there any way to "document" that there is dealer cash available on MPVs? I know this isn't published information, and am trying to figure out the best way to approach dealers on this issue. Thanks.
    We "publish" dealer cash, but we don't show any for the MPV. Guess you're gonna have to drag Doublel9 and Bean3422 along to the dealer as your first basemen :-)

Incentives and Rebates (when we show dealer cash, TMV is adjusted to account for it).

Steve
    Host