Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    Took my one year old, 16.5K mile, 2001 in for warranty - said they couldn't make the ashtray larger. They asked what else.
    Gonna find a problem one of these days....!
  • I might be able to solve one of your two problems. If you already have the clutter catcher, you can stick a deep round plastic ashtray in one of the two cupholders at the front. Handier and more secure than that pencil-thin slit Mazda laughingly refers to as one.
    As for your other problem--that you can't find a real one to complain about--I 'm afraid you're on your own. Hey, how about this? On a bright sunny day it's very hard to read what gear you're in.
    I'm trying. Really I am.

RJ
  • bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    I posted a message about the ashtray about 6 months ago in jest and got flamed by 37 people who told me to quit smoking. Ha!
    You're right about the sun/glare thing - I always note the RPM gauge to indicate what gear I'm in - especially after I have taken it out of overdrive after stop & go on the freeway (freeway??) and noted I'm turning 4500 RPM when I'm up to speed again - oops.
  • rutger3rutger3 Posts: 361
    Took our 01 LX on first long trip,1000 miles to/ from Maine. Mileage 23.5 - 24.0. The van's ride was very good. Seats were comfortable for 7-8 hours. Overall,satisfied. The negatives were as follows:
    -Engine noise a bit high,expecially on acceleration,not too bad on crusing. Even though I cruised easily at 70 mph and at times found I was going 80,did notice that the rpm's were fairly high,about 3000 at 70mph. This compares to 2500rpm for my 99 4 cyl. Camry. Certainly nothing new here,the engine has to work hard to pull all that weight. BTW, don't you love it when a car mfg. corrects a 'problem' with engine power by putting a larger engine in the next years model. What about all those people who have the 2000 and 2001's,is Mazda going to give us the new engines too? They should have known this 2 years ago.
    Now about the rear heat,which I don't have. How is it that the A/C and Heater use different mechanisms to distribute the air? I have never seen this on any other vehicle. It may not pose much of a problem,but how and why did they do this. Also, would like to have some darker tint on the front side windows,and more knee room on front passenger side(must be the world's largest dashboard).
  • You want cramped? Corkscrew yourself into virtually any seat of my 98 Cherokee. The guy who designed that thing had to be descended from Tom Thumb and Thumbelina.

;]

RJ
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Posts: 196
    Rutger,

Heat and A/C are two totally different systems in all systems with the exception of the heat pump. They generally just share the vents and fan. Now I do not know why Mazda decided to separate the two. I think they should have both been standard on the ES with an automatic control system. Was your remark just because you did not have it? Or did you notice a problem keeping the rear of the van warm. I don't have the rear heat either, and the kids are thankful I would have sweated them out just from the front.

MSGJVH
  • rutger3rutger3 Posts: 361
    msgivh: I have not noticed any problems so far in heating the van,but the real test comes in January/February. I do not anticipate any. My point was that I have never seen any vehicle use different vents or systems to deliver the Heat then the one used for A/C. This amazes me. The only reason has to be the chance to make more money.Shame on you Mazda. What's next,having the right hand power mirror be a separte option from the left hand side? Offering two separate power window options,one for the front and one for the rear? Why not 2 wheel and 4 wheel ABS. Better yet,how about an extra cost option for a right hand wiper blade. I could go on forever. Wait,why not leave off a passenger side power window switch to save money. Oh yeah,they already did that.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    What are you talking about?

"My point was that I have never seen any vehicle use different vents or systems to deliver the Heat then the one used for A/C. This amazes me. The only reason has to be the chance to make more money.Shame on you Mazda."

Up front, they use common ducting. To have rear heat, you need to run water lines from the engine to the back. They are saving the customer money by making it an option.

Where I live, I have no need for rear heat and I don't want it. I'll never use it and it's just something else to fail down the road.

So in light of your post, I say thank you Mazda for not making me pay for something I don't want.

And I have nothing to whine about today.
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    I'm a bit cornfused, which isn't surprising ;-) I was under the impression... having both rear a/c and rear heat in my van... that the heat and a/c blows mainly out of the ceiling-mounted vents, which doesn't seem out of the ordinary. If they were on totally separate systems, I'd think that there would be two sets of ducts back there, and I'm pretty sure there aren't. Where are the differing vents for the heat and a/c that I've never noticed? I will reserve the right to place my own foot in my mouth.

I would think that there are a/c lines going back there to some a/c hardware, as well as water lines going back to a heater core or something, then the rear fan blows whichever climate I select, be it frigid or toasty.

To the needing/not needing of the rear heat, rutger3, we've just started using the rear heat last week in Mochavan, when the temps dipped into the teens (F, not C). It is useful when it gets really cold out and has kept up with the coldest of days that I've seen, in the negative 30s.

/Java
  • evaddaveevaddave Posts: 156
    If you want to see the Rear A/C lines, just look at the Right Rear wheel well (say that 5 times fast ). There are two lines that run around the wheel well and head forward under the body towards the engine. We don't have the 4-seasons, so I can't tell you where to find the heater lines.
    white wheel well
    white reel well
    right wheel yell
    might sweel as well
    quite real squirrel

...I give up...

/J
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    You need to tell your wife to reduce your daily coffee allowance by half.
    Actually, my intake is rising... more classes = more caffeine demanded. I'm quickly closing in on 2#/mth.

The beige interior of our MPV is highly conducive to java-consumtion.

/Java
  • I posted last week about adding rear heat aftermarket, which sounds like can't be done. The only problem I find is that when you blow the heat at 3 or 4 fan speed (in order to keep the little kiddies warm in the back), it roasts you out in the front. I'd prefer to have front and back and run them both at 1 or 2.

Looks like I'll have to trade in my 2000 for a 2002 w/ 3.0 and rear heat... bummer. ;-)
    Yeah, I don't think there's a way to retofit it, unless you put in a portable heater back there, or crack open a front window when you blast the heat...old school, but an option. Utah does get cold, and HOT, so I'd be wanting both rear heat and a/c back there.

/java
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,936
    Let the record show that MPV's own JAVADOC took top honors in tonight's Friday Freeway trivia contest. WTG java!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • pjd58pjd58 Posts: 366
    tonight?:) Way to go Java! I didn't think you had it in ya:)

Pjd58
    It was definitely a blue moon, and it was snowing in Vegas, I mean...the other place.

I want to thank the little people that I stepped on to get where I am today! ALso, my employer will be happy to know I did something constructive for a change instead of surf edmunds all day long.

/Java
  • alexv1nalexv1n Posts: 248
    Java, have you been there alone? Then no wonder you are the winner...