Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    what did they work on and what's the outcome?
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    They changed the ahhhl (for bob) and begged off till next week on the freakiness. The s.w. thought they had worked on a van w/stalling probs, so that's sorta comforting. That's cool since I won't be needing the van next week, they can have it all week. They 'promised' to have a fix by the end of next week.

/j* did I mention... 3d19h10m22s?
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Posts: 167
    buying Mazdas? I don't understand it. There must be fifty new owners showing up on this forum in the last two months. So you gotta figure the van is a lot more popular this year than it was last year. So exactly how many new MPV's have I seen around town? Zilch, zip, nada. Not a one. To get my daily MPv fix, I still have to drive half a mile out of my way to work to see one that's parked [it never moves] in a driveway. I'm beginning to think that the good people in the 'Burgh are still buying their fathers' Oldsmobiles. Stick-in-the-muds. I'M SO LONELY!

:[

RJ
  • bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    Maybe there was another reason....
    I had a couple of "Die for Babes" last year wanting to sit in the van and see it up close. Now, all I get is just grandma's (my age) and soccer kids wanting to eat dripping popsicles inside.
    Maybe if I put George Clooney decals on the side....
    My wife wants to go to Johnstown someday - we'll swing by your house and blow the horn on the way by :))
  • pjd58pjd58 Posts: 366
    I have yet to see a 02 MPV on the road. Tons of Odys and DCs in Ohio.

Pjd58
    It's the extra hp in them... they go warp factor 6. I've seen 5 so far. I really like the new grill, fwiw.

/j
  • oldstyleoldstyle Posts: 41
    Hey Bill, can you hear me shouting across the Boarder from greater Youngstown. We will be making a trip to the burgh on June 9 in our 02 LX to see the pirates play the brewers. BTW, thought we would be the first one to have a MPV (00, 01, or 02) in the ~~~~~~~~ aera, but alas, one week before we got ours, someone just a few blocks away had a white MPV in their garage. Then the day before, I saw a shim sand on the way to my son's baseball game. BTW, will make a few trips to zoo this summer.

Regards,

OldStyle
  • evaddaveevaddave Posts: 156
    RJ,
    If you can hold out to July 4th weekend, we'll be driving out your way (Butler, to be precise). We'll be taking the PA turnpike from one end to the other--boy that's an expensive road!

If we see your MPV, we'll be sure to honk and wave!

-Dave
  • bean3422bean3422 Posts: 183
    All,

I just wanted to point out another review at www.nctd.com. (New car test drive). Great review, and they hit the nail on the head. I quote: "MPV offers a higher level of quality over the Kia Sedona. You need only yank on the door handles of the MPV and the Sedona to see an example of this. The MPV sports high-quality body-color door handles that are easy to grab and feel good and substantial in your hand; they are among the best door handles on any vehicle. That does not describe the Sedona's door handles, however."

Pretty accurate I would say. Anyway, happy motoring.

Bean
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Posts: 647
    I go away for a week and this topic explodes.

Fun and Sun in Kalamazoo, MI. Spent Thursday evening at Gingerman Raceway running my SVT Contour. Friday, I imbibed ;) (had to show those 20 somethings that a 37 year old could party until 3AM, then get up at 9AM the next day)

Saturday, free AutoX practice. (After 32oz of Gatorade and two Excedrin.)

Saturday night, met one of the lead project engineers on the Ford Contour. He tested the very first Porsche prototype engines that became the 2.5L Duratec found in 00 and 01 MPV's. (That's right, the Duratec was designed by Porsche and Cosworth)

Sunday, won my class in the AutoX.

Drove back home Monday.

What a blast.

TB
    Only two Excedrin? Man, you are my hero! I'd need at least six! Wtg on the Solo victory. I still say you should do some dollar runs w/that blue MPV of yours.

/j*2d21h17m52s
  • liebesiliebesi Posts: 33
    Has anyone seen the new Entertainment System? When will they start hitting the dealers? I know they are due out soon.
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Posts: 167
    Oldstyle-- I'll be circling [stunningly beautiful]PNC Park that day, blowing The Prez's horn. Look for me.

Evadave-- I'll be circling [stunningly beautiful] Butler that day, blowing The Prez's horn. Look for me.

Bob-- I'll be circling [stunningly beautiful] Johnstown someday . . . . Look for me.

When it comes to seeing other MPV's, I have no pride.

:)

RJ
    It's very similar to this one...

http://www.audioinmotion.com/item.html?PRID=1209720

A couple months away from dealers as far as I know.

• beachnutbeachnut Posts: 291
    I see that ody01 is trying to stir things up again with the Sedated group, but he actually did bring up an interesting tidbit re:increased MPV sales for last month, a trend I'm sure will continue!

Bob: those were babIES, right?
    lol!
  • kkcymrukkcymru Posts: 48
    Interesting. I hope to be driving a new MPV when I go to Butler, Pa over Labor Day.

Maybe all the MPV fans have moved away from Western Pennsylvania and only come back for visits.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Posts: 248
    I believe this is the unit. It's made by Mitsubishi Electric and the image on this site shows it on MPV, so it's most likely the one:

http://www.meaa-mea.com/products/e_rear.asp

• prlamzprlamz Posts: 78
    If you install your own DVD system, how does it hook up with the current audio system, or does it?
    Alex - I am certain the Mazda system is made by Audiovox. 100% certain.

prlamz - Most of these systems, similar to CD changers, transmit radio frequency (at 87.9Mhz or something) to the vehicle's radio. That way, the rear passengers can use the RSES with head phones or on the vehicle's radio. As far as wiring goes, some of these systems have a wire that goes around the antenna connection, but it's simple to connect. That and 12V power should be all it takes to get it going.
    Hmmm, he's, uh, enlightened isn't he? Actually, I'm not so sure minivans are the hot dish anymore that they used to be. The author of that article must be an expert, owning not one, but two DC vans. That'd make me hate minivans too! ;-)

Thx for the link!

/j
  • budmelonbudmelon Posts: 27
    I know what you mean. I feel like emailing him and telling him about those DC van. No wonder he's negative about minivan.
  • big_guybig_guy Posts: 372
    I was under the impression that the DVD player in the MPV would be a dash mounted unit with the display screen as a flip down in the ceiling. The unit shown in post #3322 shows the disk loading as part of the ceiling unit itself. I would much rather see a dash mounted unit so the parents in the front seat can change the DVD's without having to crawl into the back to do it.
    I hear what you are saying but the cost would have gone way up.

The nice thing about this system is there are now 2 CD players in the car. The rear passengers can listen via wireless head phones to the roof mounted unit and the driver can use the standard radio/CD up front.
    like saying compact cars are aweful if you've only driven Yugos and old Fiats. :)

Fwiw, I think I like the idea of the new RSES w/it all built-in. Which way does the door to the player face?

/J
  • vu2000vu2000 Posts: 58
    Hi to everyone out there in Mazda land. I was at a local Delaware Mazda dealership yesterday test driving an MPV. This is an LX with the roof rack,floor mats, and a rubber protector piece on top of the rear bumper. This MPV listed for about $ 23,200(I do not remember the exact price). The dealership is advertising this vehicle for $ 20,880. Is this price too good to be true?? This is much less than invoice. The sales man said Mazda is offering a $ 1000.00 dealer cash on this vehicle. Is this true? I like this vehicle very much but is concerned with the FORD motor being used in it. Can someone give me some input on the reliability of this vehicle. Thanks ahead for any input.
    I wouldn't worry about the engine. If you scroll up on this particular post you will find some discussion about the Ford engine - it's all good.
    I've own Fords - believe me, this isn't your typical Ford product under the hood!
  • big_guybig_guy Posts: 372
    I just noticed that Edmunds has the payload for the '02 MPV listed at 367 lbs?! Surely this is a misprint! That is not even enough payload capacity for two average men! They must have left a 1 off the front. I'm sure the payload has to be more like 1367 lbs. I haven't been able to find any information anywhere else on the web to determine what the actual payload is. If someone knows, please post the information (and let Edmunds know that they have the information incorrect).
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,555
    I've sent a note for delivery to the data people. Looks a thousand pounds off to me too.

(that MS site says it's 1420 lbs, btw).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.