Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• jwm271jwm271 Posts: 27
    That $161.00 was the wholesale price from local dealer. List price was about $207. The spoiler is cheaper as an original option, but when we bought our van in mid Feb. the choices were more limited. We found one with everything except the spoiler & decided to add it later. Have about 7000 miles now & really like it. However, the gas mileage around town is only 15-16 MPG and that is not in gridlocked traffic. Much of it is 50-60 MPH limited access roads & some stop & go.
  • We has the temp/compass auto dim mirror installed by the dealer on our new P-5, and on our 01 Protege LX. No rattles at all, and it seems to function fairly well. We enjoy having it.

Bill
  • just bought a 2002 lx with security, luxury, four seasons and rear air and a couple of other small items. i was hoping to get a set of mudguards from the dealer, but reading the previous posts about mazdastuff, it seemed just as good to order it from them. any machine work necessary to install the mudguards? thanks.
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    To install the fronts, it requires you to drill a hole for one of the screws. There's 3 screws per guard, 2 mount into existing holes in the front wells. I opted to try the guards w/o the drilled hole for now. It's sturdy enough w/o it, at least for now.

To install the backs, no drilling is needed. You may need to trim some plastic for one bottom screw (again there's 3 per guard). The plastic is not seen and is part of the wheel well.

Pictures and some brief instructions here (Adobe Acrobat Reader needed):

frontmudguard.pdf rearmudguard.pdf

-Brian

• beachnutbeachnut Posts: 291
    Welcome to the club and congrats on your new ride! Mazdastuff.com is great ... I've bought several things from them - real easy, nice folks, and usually the best price for that sort of *stuff* (pun intended!)
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Posts: 278
    Since the 2002's with the bigger engine have been out a while now, I'm interested in hearing the mileage stats. Anyone care to share? Are the ratings on the sticker pretty accurate?
    I'm the type that does ALOT of comparing of like vehicles before I take the plunge...so it's great to hear some of the good and bad of experiences. Thanks.
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    Hey, welcome docablas! I've heard lots of good things about mazdastuff.com. Anyone know their affiliation?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,862
    From their web page, they look to be in Texas, so you can't, in good conscience, shop there :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• prlamzprlamz Posts: 78
    Mileage is not the MPV's strongest suit. Very low 20's is about what you can expect.
  • for the prompt replies, and good to be here as well. decided against getting the pilot in favor of the more practical and fun to drive mpv. i'll keep an eye on my mileage though. great job on the .pdf instructions.
  • Thanks for the PDF files. The installation instructions I have with the front mud guards that I purchased from a dealer requires a nut rivet gun. Try and find one of those! It is needed to install a threaded nut on the bottom of the guard to secure the third screw. I have yet to install them because I can't find the tool.

Is this third screw really needed? I hate to drill a hole if I don't need too. However, I want the guard to look right.
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    That's the 3rd screw I was referring to in the front install. So far, the guard is sturdy w/o that screw.

With or without that screw, I think the Mazda guards don't fit as snug as I'm use to. The ones on my Outback are very flush, whereas the Mazda ones don't fit as snug to the body. But, they seem sturdy so far. I will watch 'em to make sure that they don't marr the paint.

-Brian
    I guess you would be right. Can't in good conscience shop from a vendor in such a small state.

However, according to the weather maps on the tele, I could take the van over on a ferry... (reqcon)
  • sd1228sd1228 Posts: 46
    We are getting 22 MPG on our 2002 ES.
    It has so far about 1400 miles.
    Most of the driving is in city with AC on.
  • bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    Small state? I'm still lurking JAVA...
    Just a little frog stranglin' rain down here - only had 10" in a 12 hour period. Cattle barely got their feet wet....
    So *there* you are Bob! I was trying to flush you out, but didn't mean to send so much rain your direction. GPS on the weather machine must be off. I was aiming for S.Florida. ;)
    That's what summer is all about in sFL, even without any help from the Alaskan weather machine! BTW, the new Dunlop sp4000's on the MPV really tame the rain - I'd say just as well as the X-Ones.
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Posts: 278
    Thanks for the couple responses.
    That mileage isn't bad for a 200HP engine in a minivan (in town w/AC on).
    The HL suv I was looking at before were in the 20mpg range...and my current DC get's about 20 consistently and that's an old 3.3 160HP engine.

Another note: Anyone heard if the 2003's will have a compass/temp built into the overhead console like Chrylers got? The mirror deal is ok, but I'd rather not have it tied into the mirror. I did hear that the LX's will have more of the ES's features in '03.
  • pieracpierac Posts: 43
    Yep, took the van on a extended weekend trip in northern Arizona. The temp/mirror has never adjusted. It's still about 20 degrees off. I managed about 22 miles/gallon on this trip. We had several 6% grades up in the mountains getting into Flagstaff, AZ. Of course it's only my second tank full so I kept the speed irregular as to break in the engine a little more easily. I think we need to look into a fix on the temp/mirror thing. Any one know how to start the process?

P.S. Once in Flagstaff we picked up our friends. We fit 4 adults and 3 kids with car seats along with hiking gear . Everyone fit fine. Put one car seat in the middle of the 3rd row with two women on each side. They said they had plenty of room.
    Somehow I found enough time this weekend to install the oem rear spoiler that I bought from mazdastuff.com. I wanted one ever since I saw another MPV with it, but I didn't think it'd look that good on my humble looking LX. Well, after I picked up those 16" eom alloys, I knew the time was right for the spoiler! And I wasn't wrong - the MPV looks better and sportier than ever!

Zoom-Zoom!
  • basurfbasurf Posts: 42
    It is pretty much lame...mine always reads way over what the temp really is even after long highway drives. I am talking like 20 degrees over. It would be interesting to have the docs on the auto-dim mirror itself because it appears that you can adjust the reading. If anyone can supply us with that...sure would appreciate it.

Other than that the auto-dim mirror is fine and no problems after dealer install.
  • That's it, I'm bailing out of the mirror. Too much negative feedback. I appreciate everyone's input. Should be interesting negotiating this with the dealer.

I put on the mudguards and bug guard yesterday. The back mudguards are a poor fit. I monkeyed around with them for a good hour and couldn't get them to fit snugly against the body panel. They aren't going anywhere but it is just irritating me the way they look. There is a gap, especially towards the top. I agree with Subearu, other vehicles, including my Altima and the Outback I just traded in, have much better fitting guards. The front guards look fine. I put the third (bottom) screw in. Actually, I just put in an aluminum sheet metal screw with some putty (to prevent rust).
  • I was having the same thought as Basurf. Is there a way you can adjust the temperature reading (which I guess you could do mentally if nothing else!). If it is always about twenty degrees high, that would suggest it is accurate, but just not properly calibrated. Be interesting to see if the difference remains the same in hot and cold weather.

Reminds me of the old days when you could get a little adhesive backed dial thermometer to stick on your driver side mirror. It was pretty accurate, as long as the sun wasn't baking it. dan
  • buzzhdbuzzhd Posts: 39
    Any noticed that? I love this package, so if you select LX, then you have no option to get it. Weird, isn't?
  • rutger3rutger3 Posts: 361
    Okay, it is time to go on about the most annoying things about my 01 MPV,but first the mileage. 900 mile trip,2 people,mostly highway in New England with the air on, 23 mpg.
    There are many good points about the MPV but that would take too long and not be as much fun to talk about. On the negative side however...

That damn engine gets on my nerves whenever I am merging onto a highway and want some extra zip, or when going up a hill and there is nothing left to give. Also, it revs too high and that can also drive you a bit nuts after 10 hours behind the wheel. And to think this was all because Mazda was to cheap to put a properly sized engine in it.They did such a nice job with this van and then go and mess around with perhaps the most important single item in it.
    The Resale value when compared to other vehicles. Yes, I got a good deal when purchased new,but I will pay when it comes time to sell; and part of this is due to the engine size.
    Did I mention that someone forgot to install a passenger side power lock switch on my MPV.
    Holy cow, still?... I'm 3yrs into my 6yr loan on my van ($23k), owe $10k and it books for $15k (private party), so I don't think I'm bad off or taking it in the boxers. I can imagine that I'd be even better off if I'd had opted for a shorter-term loan.

If I bought a different van, I'd still owe $15k on an Ody that's worth $20k (same $5k net but paying $80/mth more), or I'd owe $12k on a comparable DC van that's worth $14k. I would've been worrying about lemony-scented transmissions in either case.

Where is this resale downside again? I haven't seen any numbers to support this. Has anyone that traded a 2000 MPV taken a bad hit when trading/selling their van?
  • gampagampa Posts: 78
    Just got back from trip out to the mid west, almost all turnpike, and this is what my mileage was... remember now the car only had 201 miles to start... and I kind of babied it for the brake in period

On the first leg, about 95% higway, 5% city I got 24.5 mpg which is what was expected... on the way back I averaged 27.5 mpg. Hopefully after the engine gets some miles it and loosens up, I can reach the 30 mpg range.

Also the engine was quiet and smooth... but the seat needs some lumbar support... and at 65 mph my rpm's were 2000.
  • looking at the mazda page for next years mpv, i too was surprised to see that the security package was dropped. i think it's a step backwards given that vans are basically family movers, and people in this segment want the most security features (side airbags, traction control etc) that they can get. unless these become standard, it may be a bad marketing move.

hopefully they wil shave a few inches of the shift lever too, and provide for stronger upholstery for the third row. in the stow-away position, my kid's stroller already wore out a spot in less than 2 days.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Wow! If you can break 30, you'll be my hero.
  • oldstyleoldstyle Posts: 41
    Just got back from a 2.1K mile trip to the White Mts. and the ME coast and got 24.89 MPG (02 MPV).

Regards

OldStyle