Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• Hi everyone,

After lurking & reading in this board, I finally
    took a plunge and purchased a white 02 MPV LX
    last Sat 8/24/02 on my 2.5 yrs son birth day.

I like to thank everone who contributes
    to this board, esp, Arthur, who's
    kind enough to respond to my questions

I should have picked a different color since
    white color gets dirty pretty quick, but my
    son wants a white ambulance. So got his wish. :)
    I just hope that he grows up faster to
    wash his white ambulance.

Here my deal at MAGNUSSEN'S Fremont Mazda.
    All negotiation was done over email&phone.
    The Internet sale mgr is: Bruce Marinance

LX + Security pkg+ Dual AC+ Roof rack + Rear
    step plate + Floor mat.

22,755 Invoice
    -200 Dealer discount
    +tax+license + doc fees
    -2000 Mazda rebate
    ---------
    22,660.50 Out the door price
  • pjd58pjd58 Posts: 366
    Congrats, sounds like a very good deal. The MPV looks sharp in white, also not a very common color.

Many happy, safe miles zooming!

Pjd58
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,956
    Where's Java - doesn't he have some free time on his hands for mods these days?

Outrageous MPV

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I buy my own 5W-30 M1 and take it to the dealer. Never has there been any hesitation on the part of the dealer to use it with Mazda's filter. Thanks to Alex's post now I know why.

BTW, I change every 5k mi or 4 mos.

--kcz
  • beachnutbeachnut Posts: 291
    What's that? I think Java's using his free time building fine cabinetry or something like that. Besides, he wants the twin-turbo V8 Audi anyway. Nice link Steve ... didn't lock my computer up or anything :)
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    Hahaha, well, you've gotta watch out for his links sometimes, Beach.

That's one trick MPV! I just got a new Crutchfield catalog yesterday... Bazooka's marketing an 'NOS Bazooka Subwoofer.' It's basically a Bazooka amplified sub in a fake NOS tube. Looks pretty authentic! Maybe you need one for the Quillagerst, Steve! ;)

Yes, I'm busy being Norm Avery these days. I just ordered a quart of color code 18J paint and some clear, to take care of the door dings on the van (content). I'm planning on (finally) doing a writeup on fixing the dings.
  • bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    Reminds me years ago when I lived in a crowded apartment complex. Parking was horrible as the spots were not much wider than a motorcycle. I mentioned to several people at the pool one day that if I saw a new ding on my car I carried a small hammer and just rapped the car nearest to mine.
    Of course I never did that but it was fun to watch everyone avoiding my car llike the plague.

JAVA: If you have never seen a swimming pool up there in artic land let me know & I'll send a picture.. :))
    OMG, bob! That's too funny! No, I have a heated pool in my backyard. See? heated pool

Of course, it's raining today...

oh, content... Sorry, gotz none!

• Hey Java. I see from your 'heated pool picture' that the Java-munchkins can launch themselves off the Java-swings and land (SPLASH) right in that heated Java-pool!!! Course you have to take the Java-cover off first. Wow. I didn't know Alaska had trees or green grass. JK. ;<) Content--can the pool fit in the Mochavan making it a Mobile Pool Vehicle?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    Didn't know our California redwood made it all the way up to alaska. Maybe I need to post a picture of my '02 LX driving thru a redwood forest (content) so u can sense the roots of it all.

once
  • rc168rc168 Posts: 12
    Java,

NICE lawn. What do you feed it with? Fish powder?

OK, back to content...Ahhhh, are there aftermarket floor mats that would cover the whole area (no gap) on the first row. Try to get ready for the snow season. I heard that hoopofficial has gotten a pretty decent set somewhere.
  • wxwizwxwiz Posts: 3
    Purchased 2002 MPV ES last week for $200 under invoice and took the $2000. I would say I love to drive it but my wife who originally was reluctant to get the Mazda over the Odyessey now will not let me touch it. Oh well. I am waiting for the M6 anyway. My question is how sensitive is the immobilizer key. The instruction manual has a list a page long of what you cannot do with it including putting the key thru a metal ring or letting it touch other keys. Does anyone know exactly how sensitive the key is or has had problems with it? Does anyone else have it on their key chain? I have asked other people at work about the system and those that have it or one similar to it on other makes have no idea either. Any experts around.
    Robert, I purchased a number of deep-channeled rubber mats at Costco a ways back. I've seen them at Walmart as well. I've got a long mat going across in front of the second row seats, and a big square one that provides double duty, either covering under the third row seats or the cargo area, depending on if that seat is up/down. Stop the 'snow' talk... it's only weeks away for me. ;)a

wxwiz, I've not had a single key-related issue, and believe me, the keys for the MPV get some serious abuse. The dw keeps only the mailbox and her office keys on the ring w/her van keys; I have the spare key on a key ring w/ a ton of other keys, and it works fine. Anyone had a problem w/a key?

Hope that helps!

Oh, and thanks for spreading the love, you clowns!!! And I don't think the munchkins have figured out the aerial entry method...yet. It'll be their last stunt, I'm sure. >;-)
  • Have had no problem with the keys. I don't normally carry them unless I am using the van (the remote fob plus keys are just too bulky for my pocket) but otherwise I do nothing special for or to them. I suspect the long list of "don'ts" is more Mazda covering its backside just in case something happens, than a guaranteed "you'll wreck your key" if you should do one of them. dan
  • I've been following this site for a year and a half, and I can't remember a single instance of any one having sensitivity problems with the immobilizer. I carry mine on a ring with the spare key to another car on it, and it goes in my coat pocket with my work keys all day.
    I wouldn't worry over much about it. Seems a pretty secure system.

RJ
  • Bob Maria and anyone else who got MPV below invoice:
    Can you please give me location(city/state/phone#) of dealer willing to sell below invoice a 2002 MPV ES?
    Thanks in advance.
  • scannerscanner Posts: 295
    Howdyd,

I've yet to meet a dealer that wouldn't sell a minivan below invoice (Big-O dealers excluded). They will simply make their profit elsewhere. For example, through financing, by charging you a ridiculous doc fee, low balling you on your trade, extended warranties, or by adding worthless packages/options etc. Just march down to your local Mazda dealer and tell them that you're not going to pay a lot for this MPV! And if all else fails, try the link posted below.

http://www.invoicedealers.com

BTW, has anyone noticed that invoice pricing has risen from ~90% to ~92% of MSRP over the past few years? And we thought we were such shrewd buyers. :-)

• The DW mom and dad were here for holiday, and we had to park the 2002 about 600 yards from a store. I forgot to lock it, and we were almost to the store, and I took out my key fob. My father (inlaw) (sienna owner) who takes great pride in deriding my MPV every chance was quite impressed when the lights blinked and the horn beeped. (So was I...but I couldn't let on.) I just said it was just a small example of the attention to details that Mazda pours on all of their products...
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    Hi, everyone,

Got a quick question...on the ventilation system, does the A/C automatically engage when you select the windshield defogger vents? Does it automatically engage at any other selection, like feet/dash, or just dash?

I haunt the Protege boards and saw there that this is the way the ventilation system works on the current Mazda Protege.

I rented a 2002 MPV at the end of July, but I really can't recall if this is the case. I really HATE when they set up these systems to automatically engage the compressor. Thanks for your replies.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Posts: 248
    No, A/C does not automatically engage in whatever settings unless you press the A/C button. However you can't use "RECIRCULATE" mode when choosing windshield setting. Only "FRESH AIR" is in effect... That's the only "override" I'm aware of...
  • big_guybig_guy Posts: 372
    In order for the cars ventilation system to be able to "defog" the windshield, the AC compressor is often engaged. The humid air from the outside is passed over the cooling coil on the AC system and this "dehumidifies" the incoming air. This way, dry air (or at least "dryer" air) can be used to blow across the windshield to "defog" it. I am not sure if it is an automatic feature in the MPV or if there is some sort of humidistat located in the vent system that determines if the AC compressor is required to do the job. I have not had to run the "defogger" yet on my car so I am not aware how it works.

Just my $.02
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    Thanks Alexv1n.

Here's the quote from the Protege board:

>>The A/C turns on whenever you select:

Windshield
    Front vents/Feet
    Feet Only<<

I can understand the defrost mode engaging the A/C, although even in that area I would prefer complete control to decide when and if I need the A/C compressor engaged.

The way the Pro is set up is just silly, IMHO. Why not just engage the A/C in all situations? Their more than half way there now.
  • The a/c in the MPV does not automatically come on. You need to specifically turn it on--and you can if you want to when defogging.

Bean--600 yards and the remote fob works? Wow! Mine only works out to 20 or 30 yards. I wonder why yours has such a long range? Super battery in it or sumpin'? But glad it worked for you. Actually, the MPV has enough stuff in it compared to the Sienna that you ought to be able to deflect any deriding from fil. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't be able to resist that. But one does need to keep peace in the family. :<)
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I'll have to try it later, but I'm pretty sure that the A/C compressor runs when the mode is set to defrost and the fan speed is set >0. The A/C light does not necessarily indicate that it is on, but if you listen carefully as you change the mode from vent that the A/C compressor engages.

Maybe somebody with lots of time on their hands like Javadoc can verify this.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Posts: 248
    No, A/C does not work when the air is in defrost mode. The reason I know that I happened to notice it on several occasions on a really rainy day that until I turn on A/C manually the windows fog like crazy... even when the air blows on the windshield.
    I'm on it... ;)
    That didn't take long...

Okay, the A/C is used when you use the Defroster/Defogger. According to what I found, if your windshield doesn't defog, then the first step to trouble shoot it is to check to make sure the A/C system is working properly. Then, check the A/C fuse to make sure it's not blown. If the A/C system weren't used, the service manual wouldn't have a technician checking the A/C if the defroster were malfunctioning.

See, the most efficient way to defog the windows is to dry the cabin air, which is accomplished by using conditioned air.

So, I stand by my statement that A/C is used when you activate the Defosters. :)

/J
  • gampagampa Posts: 78
    Something does not make sense... My MPV ES has 17 inch alloys yet my daughters MPV from last year has 15 inch rims... from my calculations, my tires are more then 1 1/2 inches higher then hers yet they both seem to have the speedo head... do you think my van is going faster then my speedo indicates... I could understand 1/2 inch but the higher tire might get me a ticket with out me knowing it.

Gampa.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,956
    hmmm, did you measure the sidewalls? I bet you have lower profile tires.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• For what it's worth, I've noticed that our MPV drives differently when the A/C is on than when it is off. When the defroster is on (and A/C off), the van drives just like it does when the A/C is on. That leads me to believe that the compressor is running when the defroster is on.