Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Mazda was talking to me today about the entertainment package....estimated MSRP is expected to be $1200 with a 7'' screen and DVD...drop down from the roof.
    no other details.

Rich
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    In dash DVD player(not that you'd expect it elsewhere).
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    Why not (jab jab) put it in the middle of the van, under the third row seats? LOL! Just poking fun.

In-dash would rock, and $1200 is a good price imho. Gosh, my wishlist grows daily. Rich, no details on possible release dates though? That'd be a great road trip option.

/j
  • bean3422bean3422 Posts: 183
    All,

Any news on the Special Financing offer? Edmunds lists it as 4.9% for 60 months, but I have seen other sites that list 3.9% for 60 months and 4.9% for 72 months (that makes the payment go down!). I have also seen 1.9% for 48 months.

Anybody know what the real deal is? Otherwise, will check next visit to the dealer.
  • beachnutbeachnut Posts: 291
    Were did you see that Bean? Hmmm, don't get me thinkin' now! Anyway, I'm sure I would take a complete bath on trade-in.

SC
    Did you turn state's evidence or something? ;-)

/j... who'd take 4.9 for 72, also
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I just gotta get used to the name.

Java,
    When I first saw the old VCP placement, I laughed and called somebody an idiot. It never went over well.
    ...blow his cover!

Fwiw, I took 72mth financing on my 2000 and I'm not upside down at 30mths in. Almost, but not quite. :)

/j
  • brantybranty Posts: 53
    I had a "hidden hitch" (#90083) installed on my 00 MPV by "Hitch City" 2 years ago - perfect fit. At the time the total cost was $270 installed ($195 for hitch and $39.95 for wiring plus tax). The price is in Canadian $$. When I asked about the hitch at Mazda they indicated that it was the same hitch. I have not had any problems with it since the installation.

Hope that helps

Bill.
  • azscouseazscouse Posts: 1
    We have a 1997 modelwhich is fine, if underpowered, exceptfor the A/C which struggles to cool the van down in an AZ summer. Both dealer and A/C shop have said "nothing wrong- it's supposed to be like that"

We are considering a 2002 model (ES) and wondered if anyone had any comments on the A/C effectiveness in the newer model(s).
  • protege8protege8 Posts: 9
    Hi, Folks:

I just replaced my old engine filter in my 2000 MPV LX with K & N engine air filter (part# 33-2177-1)by simply dropping in the new one to the air box. I have left out the the self-sticking gasket which comes with the filter(otherwise I have to follow the hours-long K & N's instruction to install the gasket). How important is this gasket and is it going to affect the engine performance? Thanks for the input
    I don't remember a gasket. Does anyone know if K&N revised the filter? Fwiw, I installed p/n 33-2177 (not dash1), so maybe there was some sort of revision. Is there a huge gap or something that the gap could be filling? Interesting.

/j
  • mazda_guymazda_guy Posts: 183
    azscouse, I have 2002 model (ES) and I live in Florida. AC works fine but as I stated before in this group you have much more glass surface. Therefore, do not compare your car AC to a minivan AC. In a minivan during sunny days AC always will work harder. So, if in a car you can run AC at level 1 then in a minivan you will need to run at level 2 to get the same cooling.
    You can improve cooling action by tinting your windows and keeping the car in the shade. If you keep the car in the shade before you start AC you will cool your car much faster. Also make sure that you turn a switch to re-circulate air inside the car not to draw the fresh hot air from the outside.

MB
    I can't get anything past you guys ;) That *other* guy just had way too boring of a handle! Java, you know my chat moniker was a little much for TH; I needed to come up with something new. It actually fits me pretty well (when I have time, that is). Beach nuts get to see a lot of HSM's ! Malt, WB? ... please explain, lol!

Checked out the Edmund's TMV trade last night on the '01 - ouch! Yep, back to shopping in '04 :(

SC
    I agree with mazda_guy on the car vs. van comparison. I've had cars that couldn't keep up with the heat. I'm sure you already know, but the rear AC option is a MUST for you. I've always heard that the heat in AZ, while extreme, is not so bad due to the lack of humidity. It's the sun that heats up the inside, though, not the humidity. I live in Florida too, in probably the hottest part of the state. Here, it's 90'-95' everyday for at least six months, then 80s and 70s for fall and winter. The sun angle is more direct as well. The AC in our MPV does an excellent job of quickly cooling the van down, and the roll-down rear windows are quite helpful !

Mazda_guy: I’m not sure what you mean about tinting windows. I thought the LX and ES came standard with tinted glass from the factory, except for the front driver and passenger windows? I’ve seen some ’00-’01 DX’s running around town w/o tint, but that model has been dropped for ’02. We can tint the front two windows here, but only up to a certain percentage. I believe some states have different laws regarding tinting these two windows. I suppose they probably make clear tint that reduces heat transfer, similar to windows you can buy for your house with low-e, but I've never known anyone to use it.

SC
  • mainsail2mainsail2 Posts: 77
    My K&N didn't come with a gasket either and there weren't any gaps.
  • mazda_guymazda_guy Posts: 183
    You are right beachnut that MPV comes with tinted windows except for front passenger's and driver's. I tinted front windows and it helps already. Since I bought MPV in February I haven't experienced rally hot weather yet. If I find that original tinting is not enough then I will tint rear much darker. I don't think, however, I will need to do that since rear AC does good job and I usually do not have anybody on a back seats with exception of our dog.

MB
    mazda_guy: where in FL do you live, if I might ask? It sure felt like the really hot weather arrived here about three weeks ago! I need to get my front windows tinted too.

Anybody a tint expert out there? There seems to be a wide range of prices and folks who do tinting. I'm sure there's some to avoid. Any stories?

SC
  • tango_28tango_28 Posts: 35
    How to get 27mpg

1. Drive at 67mph, remember driving at 70mph wil
    cause gear haunting with minor inclines on the road.
    2. Make sure tire pressure is at 35 psi.
    3. Temperature is above 55f and below 65f (2.5 duratec has overactive ECU and runs really rich at cold temps)
    4. Avoid jackrabbit starts.
    5.Use cruise control when the road is flat and avoid using it on any hilly roads
    6. This all highway driving.
    7. Have a steady foot.
    8. 416 miles on 14.9 gallons.
    9. I started getting this mileage at 17,000 miles.
  • protege8protege8 Posts: 9
    Hi, Javadoc and mainsail2:

Thanks for the feedback. Based on their instuction To install the gasket, first, you need to remove the box and open up the whole box, apply the self-sticking gasket onto the bottom of the box, then place the filter onto it, and reconnect the box to where it belongs. To me , it is hard to tell whether there is a gap or not (after dropping in the new one) since you only can open up the box to a certain extent without taking the box out of the hood. Probably I will just leave out the gasket for now. I do immediately feel the engine runs a little smoother, and I will see how MPG will be improved.