Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• dave234dave234 Posts: 7
    Just want to throw this one out there and am looking for all of you experts to reply. Told dealer I would give him thumbs up or down by Monday.

Went to a dealership and priced out a 2002 MPV LX with luxury package, security package and 4 seasons package, rear AC along with moonroof. Asked about getting factory DVD, but was told it was not available, so told him it was OK for dealer installation.

Price quoted: $24,500

No financing. Is this good deal or not?
  • tbcreativetbcreative Posts: 357
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one baffled by these issues. I forgot about the DVD system also being confusing to me. The Mazda on-line builder shows that and the mirror, but Edmunds only shows the mirror. A Mazda salesman I spoke with told me that most of the vans coming from the factory don't have the mirror, but they could certainly add it at the dealer. He also said he didn't think you could get the DVD system yet, but it may be coming in the fall. Of course they could also install that at the dealer, but I'd probably get a DVD/VHS unit installed by a friend who's a district manager of Best Buy, for a bit less.

I think the windows that open is a HUGE thing that Mazda should be exploiting in their ads, along with the new safety ratings, increased power, 3rd-row seat that folds flat and functions like a tailgate, and the 5-year warranty! I can't believe that I almost over-looked this incredible vehicle!

My wife and I have just become licensed foster parents, and are planning on having biological kids as well, so we require a vehicle that can not only accommodate those needs, while providing convenient transportation for all of our Phoenix-bound visitors, but also remain exciting to own over a 5 to 10-year period. Now, I like to trade vehicles sooner than that, but my wife is much more practical than I am, so if I'm making that concession, and we need to get a mini-van, I want something I'll continue to be excited about for the duration that it's with our family. I think the MPV will do just that. I would love to be a spokes-person for the MPV and help turn their marketing around!

Have I mentioned lately, that it would REALLY do that in a nice Millenium Red? ;o)
    From my research so far, that seems like a good deal. I'm curious to see what the MPV vets have to say...
  • pjd58pjd58 Posts: 366
    Price seems OK, not great. I assume you are paying cash. Mazda just introduced new outstanding incentives yesterday. I would go with zero financing at your price. Each region has different incentives, here in the Midwest, Mazda is offering 0% for 48. Call Mazda NA customer service to check your area, they will ask for your zip code. Some dealers don't like to make incentives public.

If you are paying cash, I would offer $4000 less MSRP. Ricart Automotive in Columbus,Ohio is selling all 02 MPVs at 4K below MSRP(Columbus Dispatch's Sat), no hassle. No special financing and all rebates to dealer.

Good luck,
    Pjd58
  • pjd58pjd58 Posts: 366
    Off topic, I detailed my MILLENIUM RED 01 Protege yesterday:) I'm rooting for you to get a Mill Red 03 MPV. My Wife has a Sand Mica MPV, nice color but not my first choice. Keep calling Customer Service and nag them:) Mazda needs to offer a red MPV. I saw the perfect red 02 DC CARAVAN the other day. But who wants a Caravan? Not me!
    Pjd58
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    0% for 48 mos is sweet, and 6 mos of no payments?

I think we'll finish paying off the credit card first. :(

-Brian
    I know! If Dodge, GM, and Honda, to name a few, have a nice metallic red color, why can't the "Zoom-Zoom" company? The color choices are so bland, no offense to your wife's choice! ;o)

A Mazda salesman told us something interesting. He said that if the dealership were to order a minimum of 10, like a fleet, Mazda has a deal where you can get them in any Mazda color, as long as they're all the same. So, we could get Millenium Red, but the dealership would have to make an initial investment. But I figure, all they'd have to do is advertise them as being unique, and they'd sell like hotcakes! Hmmm...

Anyway, keep rooting for us, and I'll keep bugging Mazda, while I consider a way to talk a dealership into that fleet deal!
    My wife also likes the Midnight Blue Mica, which is a sharp color, and close enough to black (my first choice). I'm with you. If Mazda doesn't add a red to the lineup, I really hope they don't drop that blue before we're ready to purchase one between this fall and next spring. They'd REALLY be lacking in color choices then!
  • sritrovatosritrovato Posts: 20
    I would really like to know, if there is such a place, where to find posted, the specifics of current incentives. It seems like every site has either outdated, or incomplete information. I realize that changes occur all the time. What's the best way to find out? Thanks
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    I posted a message last night, and it's awol. Should've been right after tbcreative's post #3634.

Strange... the site *was* lagging something fierce, so maybe edmunds was having issues then. It was about 1:00am Pacific. ah well. :)
  • evaddaveevaddave Posts: 156
    While I browse the Edmunds sits for just about everything automotive, for some reason the incentives section doesn't seem to get a lot of attention. I've had good luck finding info on incentives at carsdirect.com. I haven't followed up with a dealer to see if they are more accurate, but they seem to update more frequently (and the numbers are biggger, too!).
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    Hi Javadoc - went camping in the "Sawteeth" last night so no idea if TH hiccupped. Apologies.

Evaddave, thanks for the plug (I think, LOL). Here's the link:

Incentives and Rebates If something looks "dated" or missing, please send a note to the data guys via the Feedback Form.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • calden3calden3 Posts: 12
    Hi group:

I went a-vanning today, looking for a new car, focused on the Odyssey and a VW Passat. Of course the dealer pointed us towards an MPV and we really like it. What are people's experiences with snow driving? We have moderately snowy winters, about 55 inches a year, and have loved our dying 85 Toyota Tercel 4WD. I am apprehensive about getting a FWD car. Does the MPV handle as well in snow as the dealer claimed?

Thanks in advance.

Carlos Alden, June 30
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    Have had our 02 MPV LX with security, luxury, rear ac, 4 seasons, roof rack, and step bumper for 3 weeks now ($23,665). Been waiting for something bad to report so I didn't sound like a Mazda salesman, but can't find any...

This machine is awesome. We took it for a spin 6000 feet up the hill on a 105 degree day full ac, never budged the temp gauge nor did anyone push me into the turnout (first time ever).

The MPV handles and drives like a dream. The 16" Dunlops stick on curves like the dw on a cold winter night. I finally had to let up when my 9-year old said he was getting a little sick. Awww.... The tranny and engine are dialed in, I love the way the computer matches the engine torque and holds the tranny in one gear without the back and forth shifting...Engine has no dead spots, just revs smooth, quiet, and powerful to 4000 rpm (nothing more yet, still breaking it in) Nice touch with the front drink holder having a neat little cell phone compartment...

Sorry, no problems to report :). No stinky exhaust, no rack noise at 80 mph, very little road noise. I do have the "wedge" as some have put it. Wiper control still confusing, I bumped it one time and managed to activate everything before I could shut it off. TCS worked great, I thought I would spin tires going uphill in soft dirt.. but nothing, just like a good dream...
  • canielcaniel Posts: 28
    I can't find any incentive/rebate sites that confirm what I've read here among my fellow MPV friends. We have a 2000lx and would love to go for a 2002 lx, but I've got to get the skinny on the rebates/incentives. Edmunds site is not helpful, unfortunately. Any information anyone?
    Thanks!!!
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    The MPV handles like any other fwd vehicle in the snow.... as in very nicely. The decent ground clearance of the van is great when you have a heavy snowfall. With 55" a year of snow, I'd be suggesting dedicated winter (studded or studless) tires, b/c all-seasons just don't cut the mustard in serious winter conditions (imho).

/j
  • beachnutbeachnut Posts: 291
    ... since he lives in Alaska. Hey doc, I didn't know that the other 8 people up there drove MPV's too! Did they show up for the BBQ? =)

Once_for_all: Glad to hear you're enjoying your new MPV! I would certainly hope that you'd have no problems in 3 weeks ;-), but it's good to hear someone say they don't have the Stinky!
  • sd1228sd1228 Posts: 46
    Ignore my earlier question about incentives.
    I called mazda and this is the info I got :

2000$ cash back with no financing or
    1000$ cash back with mazda credit financing
    Just found this out from mazda toll free number
    for cust service.
    The rep mentioned that this is for ALL regions.
    Valid from 6/28 to 9/3 (though he said that it
    could change without notice)
  • bean3422bean3422 Posts: 183
    The person that told you that putting 225/60 R16 tires on instead of 215/60 R 16 tires voiding your warranty has fed you a load of *&$*#. If you really want to be safe, you can contact Mazda and ask that question, but I have change tire sizes on all of my vehicles and never had a warranty issue. The only thing to watch is a more than 3% diameter difference, because that can affect ABS, and other sensors. But all modern manufacturers build a certain amount of tire size tolerance in their vehicles. Personally, I would go with the RE950 in the 225/60 size. Just remember, it will be about .5-1% bigger, so the speedometer will register 1 mph or so faster than it actually says. (Which will probably not be a problem, since most cars register higher than the actual speed anyway. Their little way of helping us avoid tickets!!)
  • owr084owr084 Posts: 46
    I just received an e-mail from K&N today. They now stock a filter for the 2002 MPV. From their web page:

Search Results: You Searched For:

Year=2002
    Make=Mazda
    Model=MPV
    1 Matches Found (displaying 1 to 1)
    Model Engine Product Part No Comments
    MPV 3.0L V6 F/I K&N Air Filter 33-2177-1 All

RBB